Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else...

Does anyone else feel totally uninspired by their collection of stamps? I am in the process of unmounting all my stamps, many of which have been stuck in drawers and have not seen the light of day in years. With all this unmounting, I am looking at my stamps and thinking how much I dislike most of them. Mind you, the majority of my stamps have been single stamp purchases from big box craft stores due to lack of local LSS or knowledge of different online companies. As you know, that severely limits your style and stamp selection, if that is the only place to purchase stamps.

Since joining SCS I have learned of many more places to purchase stamps that are more to my taste and style. However, the majority of my stamps are still the ones that I really have no idea what to do with. Yet I am totally relunctant to sell or get rid of any stamps in the rare instance that I might have some brilliant idea on how to use one, or even to keep as my taste or the trends change.

In addition, I think I am a one trick pony. I buy a stamp I like, use the stamp, then get bored with it, and put it away, never to be seen or heard from again.

Maybe it is just the fact that I am on a buying freeze right now because I am in the process of redoing my craft room and totally reorganizing my supplies. I am totally overwhelmed by this organizational process. I hope that maybe once my craft room is done and my supplies and stamps organized, that maybe some creativity will strike.

I would love to hear your thoughts! I would even appreciate some suggestions on versatile stamps that can be used over and over.

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Personally, if I have not used a stamp in"years" I would sell it. I have found that my taste in stamps has changed over the years. When I first started stamping, I went to ebay and bought tons of SU stamps, then when I received them and started stamping with them, I relized they were not for me. I sold them all on the Buy/Sell thread here on SCS.

If you don't like some of your stamps, not your style, or just won't use them, why take the time and money to unmount them??? Pop on over to the Buy/Sell thread and list them for sale. Pick up a couple of dollars to help out with doing your craft room or buy some stamps you like. Why hold on to "stuff" you don't think you will use??? Make room for some new toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Oh, By the way......You Have A Beautiful Gallery!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Hmm, I think long and hard before buying stamps, so I have very, very few that I would consider giving away or selling. Something might sit unused for a while, but then it's just what I need.
Are you into digital at all? If you like to use something just once or twice, that would be one way to go. Personally I like stamping, plus we only have an ink-jet printer and it's too much work heat-setting images to use with water-based media.
For me, I think nature images are probably the most versatile - birds, trees, some flowers.
Whatever, I hope you get some inspiration back soon .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

In addition, I think I am a one trick pony. I buy a stamp I like, use the stamp, then get bored with it, and put it away, never to be seen or heard from again.
I don't have alot of stamps (yet) but the ones I do have are not inspiring me right now.

I do love my Whipper Snapper stamps and have my 1st pkg of Verve stamps on their way.

I was thinking I should do a 1/2 dzn cards of each stamp that I am questioning.
Then I'll know if I will forever love 'em or just leave 'em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Every now and then you have to fire up the old juices and make yourself get uber creative. Make a maze book or make a concertina book, or something, and use your stamps. Colour in the image, maybe use unusual colours - green flowers, purple animals, etc. then decorate and embellish. Have lots of fun doing it.

THEN if you still don't like a stamp, get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Personally, if I have not used a stamp in"years" I would sell it. I have found that my taste in stamps has changed over the years. When I first started stamping, I went to ebay and bought tons of SU stamps, then when I received them and started stamping with them, I relized they were not for me. I sold them all on the Buy/Sell thread here on SCS.

If you don't like some of your stamps, not your style, or just won't use them, why take the time and money to unmount them??? Pop on over to the Buy/Sell thread and list them for sale. Pick up a couple of dollars to help out with doing your craft room or buy some stamps you like. Why hold on to "stuff" you don't think you will use??? Make room for some new toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally makes sense to get rid of the stamps, but there is something about my brain that won't let go of any of my crafting supplies and stamps. I don't know why! I am not a hoarder by nature, but seem to be when it comes to crafting. I think I need help, lol. I am one of those people that keep buying DP, but don't use it because it is too pretty to cut up.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
Every now and then you have to fire up the old juices and make yourself get uber creative. Make a maze book or make a concertina book, or something, and use your stamps. Colour in the image, maybe use unusual colours - green flowers, purple animals, etc. then decorate and embellish. Have lots of fun doing it.

THEN if you still don't like a stamp, get rid of it.
Some good ideas here. Hopefully once we get our Scrap N Cubes and get organized, I can sit down and really try to stretch the creativity.

BTW, what is a concertina book? That sounds interesting!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygalView Post
Totally makes sense to get rid of the stamps, but there is something about my brain that won't let go of any of my crafting supplies and stamps. I don't know why! I am not a hoarder by nature, but seem to be when it comes to crafting. I think I need help, lol. I am one of those people that keep buying DP, but don't use it because it is too pretty to cut up.
So, you are admitting you got a problem, well that is the first step:p

Would a little chocolate help???!!!

I have been buying stamps now for pretty much the past 5 years. I have made a few mastakes along the way, relized it and got rid of them fast!

The paper thing, well I use my paper:p Don't know how to help you get over the hording thing, unless you want to come over and I will show you how to "cut" the "pretty" paper:p

Good Luck on what you decide to do. I still think, if you don't use the stamp, get rid of it. It takes up too much room especially if you have like 10 or 20 stamps you don't use. Just remember, get rid of what you don't use, then there is more room. Sell what you don't want, then there is money to buy new stamps:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I want to add my two cents and say get rid of what you don't use or don't really like anymore!

I know it seems hard; IMPOSSIBLE even to let go of any of our delicious crafty supplies. BUT...I've learned after finally taking the plunge that you will feel better and might even get inspired to use what you keep once you clean out the clutter a little.

At the very LEAST, put stamps you haven't used in a long time and don't really find appealing right now in a box and stash it in the basement or garage or someplace away from your crafting space! If you don't find yourself running to find it and get something out of it after a year then SELL SELL SELL. Use the money to buy new "toys"!! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

When I feel uninspired by a stamp or stamp set, I search the galleries for inspiration. If there is no gallery for the specific image at least I can get some layout ideas or I will see a similar image done up nicely. Here is hoping you get some mojo soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Ihave to vote for getting rid of them too. I did that not too long ago and I love the extra space I have now. I am also better able to find what I do want to use and I am becoming more creative. If you are really torn you might want to consider boxing up the things you aren't using and store them somewhere. If you really want one of those stamps you can get it but if you don't go digging for them in a year you can get rid of them. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I am a stamper in phases.

I go months and don't do a single thing. Then I am non stop and nothing else gets done. I've been very cautious to keep the images I like because the artwork appealed to me...not because it was the newest trend. I purged GOBS a couple years ago and I'm happy I did.

I also recently decided to start adding to my collections again, but I found a couple companies that I like their images, and I'm focused on them right now. I am part of a monthly club with one, and for 6 months all I've done is pay the bill. Nothing's been stamped.

Just keep what you like that speaks to you artistically, and don't really worry about whether it's current or not. I've even stopped adding to galleries, posting online, etc. I stamp for me and the recipient and that's enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is what I did. I alphabetized my sets and then told myself I had to make at least one card from each set in alphabetical order. When I got to a set that totally stumped me (even after looking in the gallery) or I didn't like anything about the card that I made, I got rid of the stamp set. Admitedly, I have only gotten rid of three so far and didn't get much for them on ebay, but at least they weren't there cluttering my space and making me feel guilty.

My guilty hoarding issue is paper. I probably have more than I could ever use but keep buying more. I did sort through the pattern paper and donate all the sheets that I know I would never use to a veteran's organization that makes cards for other vets.

I've been working on the alphabetical thing for over a year and am still not through the entire thing yet (probably cuz I keep taking breaks!). The other thing I have done during this process is to make notes about sets that are iffy and if I haven't come back to them in a year or two they are going to go. I have also stopped buying stamps for the most part although there are a few in the new SU catty that I really like.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4LauraView Post
I don't have alot of stamps (yet) but the ones I do have are not inspiring me right now.

I do love my Whipper Snapper stamps and have my 1st pkg of Verve stamps on their way.

I was thinking I should do a 1/2 dzn cards of each stamp that I am questioning.
Then I'll know if I will forever love 'em or just leave 'em!
That's a great idea! I think I may have to try to follow that rule of thumb as I review my collection...someday ;P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Vote: SELL, SELL, SELL, DONATE to GOOD WILL!!

It feels so good to get rid of everything you don't like, don't want, don't use.

I have taken every single thing out of my craft room. (my kitchen and living room look like a tornado hit them). As I put things back in (one item at a time) - I am making sell piles and Good Will piles. Only the stuff I know I love and will really use are going back in that room.

Do it! You will be happy you did!! And you will love your craft room that much more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Here is what I did. I alphabetized my sets and then told myself I had to make at least one card from each set in alphabetical order. When I got to a set that totally stumped me (even after looking in the gallery) or I didn't like anything about the card that I made, I got rid of the stamp set. Admitedly, I have only gotten rid of three so far and didn't get much for them on ebay, but at least they weren't there cluttering my space and making me feel guilty.

My guilty hoarding issue is paper. I probably have more than I could ever use but keep buying more. I did sort through the pattern paper and donate all the sheets that I know I would never use to a veteran's organization that makes cards for other vets.

I've been working on the alphabetical thing for over a year and am still not through the entire thing yet (probably cuz I keep taking breaks!). The other thing I have done during this process is to make notes about sets that are iffy and if I haven't come back to them in a year or two they are going to go. I have also stopped buying stamps for the most part although there are a few in the new SU catty that I really like.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Great ideas! I think I should at least take some images that I am on the fence about and at least try to make something with them. I have since put a few stamps aside to give to my daughter. She isn't even 2 years old yet, but I am trying to get her started early!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I want to add my two cents and say get rid of what you don't use or don't really like anymore!

I know it seems hard; IMPOSSIBLE even to let go of any of our delicious crafty supplies. BUT...I've learned after finally taking the plunge that you will feel better and might even get inspired to use what you keep once you clean out the clutter a little.

At the very LEAST, put stamps you haven't used in a long time and don't really find appealing right now in a box and stash it in the basement or garage or someplace away from your crafting space! If you don't find yourself running to find it and get something out of it after a year then SELL SELL SELL. Use the money to buy new "toys"!! :-)
I agree that it would feel so great to get rid of the clutter. I think I will put some aside in a box and if they continue to go unused then I will sell or donate. Right now it is just really hard to let go. Kind of like when you finally sell something in a yard sale, then suddenly realize you could have used that item for something.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hi ladies

I had the same problem for a long time. You might think about digital stamps. You can continually get new images due to the price and they don't take up any space. They really are easy to use. Some of the best stores are Meljen's, MoMannings, and Karen's Doodle's.

I still have all my boxes of rubber stamps. I can't bear to part with them.

UnityStampCo.
Artist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygalView Post
Some good ideas here. Hopefully once we get our Scrap N Cubes and get organized, I can sit down and really try to stretch the creativity.

BTW, what is a concertina book? That sounds interesting!
A concertina book is just folding a long sheet back ward and forwards till it is little hills and valleys, about three or four inches wide. Glue a couple together. On the outside of one cover, you can stick a ribbon and onto the back so it ties make the cover pretty and then stamp away inside. It sits up like a card with more than two pages. Apparently they are also called accordion books. Here is an example from the gallery:

Expanded shot of accordian album by HairsprayQueen - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am going through the same thing!!! When I read your post I was like "I am not alone?" I have been reorganizing too.

I don't have a lot of stamps. I do love a lot of my stamps. I hate clutter.I really hate it. I keep it down in my craft room. More space to play with my favorite toys.
My DH is also a crafter so we share the room too. I want him to have a nice place to work also.

I would love to declutter some more of my stamps. I do the same thing stamp it once and never use it again. I think "What a waste!"

I can help a little with this. Get rid of the stamps you really don't like. Don't hold on too something you don't like because it just drains your creativity. If you are worried about a technique. You can do that same technique with a stamp you do love.

Cut up that DP. Don't be scared. I can promise you in three years you will wish that you did when other DP comes out and your style has changed. If you really do love your DP, frame some of it in your craft room. When you are tired of it you can change the DP around for new patterns.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gallery search

I also do the gallery search and put the ideas into a 3-ring binder.
Much less waste of products, and time coming up with an idea; because you know you like the idea,
and have that stamp set. This year I hope to cut back on old cardstock, again search the gallery or do a google search for color combinations I have
and like together. This seems to get me interested in using those stamps and old supplies

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampkinzView Post
When I feel uninspired by a stamp or stamp set, I search the galleries for inspiration. If there is no gallery for the specific image at least I can get some layout ideas or I will see a similar image done up nicely. Here is hoping you get some mojo soon!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I am also downsizing stamps, scrapbooking etc that I haven't used forever to make more room for the things I love. I have sold some on ebay. Get a flat rate medium or large priority box. When it is full take a pic and sell it. You'll know what the shipping will be and it makes it so easy! I have also given some of my things away and have found great joy doing so. My neighbor and good friend got my old sizzix machine and she is having a blast with it. I have the bigshot so it was great fun sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Try to find a monthly group that stamps together. I have about 18-25 women who gather once a month. After creating a couple projects together we are always inspired to go home and do more. We don't want our stamps getting dusty... Use 'em! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

I started out with SU, nowI love so many other type of stamps. I am glad I did not un-mount these SU, I might end up selling most of them, some I will keep because I love mixing and matching different stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

My advice? get rid of those abandoned stamps by all means but before you do, stamp out at least 3 A4 sheets worth and store in a ring binder just in case you pine for them later. I would love to have the time to do this with all my stamps then they would all be ready to colour and cut to size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I have some sets that are four/five years old and I haven't used them a lot. I often find I need a random stamp when looking through the gallery and wanting to case a card. I find that those unloved stamps come in handy. I don't think I'll ever get rid of many sets. I have about 100.

I'm also a one trick pony and tend to use the same few sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I do often sell or if lucky trade/swap stamps with other stampers to get other products I would like to play with. I just notice that my tastes change and if there are a ton of products sitting there taking up space that I don't use, it's time to clear them out. Occasionally I share them with kids, people whom I want to help get hooked on stamping too, charities, church groups and such, others I will sell, but that's often more work than it's worth.

Cheers, Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was feeling VERY uninspired by my stamp collection - so I got rid of a big chunk of it.

All my SU stamps - gone!
All my Unity stamps - gone!
All my Taylored Expression stamps - gone! and a bunch others!

Now I can focus on getting stamps I want to create with!

Good luck!!;
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am going through the same thing!!! When I read your post I was like "I am not alone?" I have been reorganizing too.

I don't have a lot of stamps. I do love a lot of my stamps. I hate clutter.I really hate it. I keep it down in my craft room. More space to play with my favorite toys.
My DH is also a crafter so we share the room too. I want him to have a nice place to work also.

I would love to declutter some more of my stamps. I do the same thing stamp it once and never use it again. I think "What a waste!"

I can help a little with this. Get rid of the stamps you really don't like. Don't hold on too something you don't like because it just drains your creativity. If you are worried about a technique. You can do that same technique with a stamp you do love.

Cut up that DP. Don't be scared. I can promise you in three years you will wish that you did when other DP comes out and your style has changed. If you really do love your DP, frame some of it in your craft room. When you are tired of it you can change the DP around for new patterns.

I really like the idea of framing some of my favorite DP to decorate the new craft room!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane speedView Post
My advice? get rid of those abandoned stamps by all means but before you do, stamp out at least 3 A4 sheets worth and store in a ring binder just in case you pine for them later. I would love to have the time to do this with all my stamps then they would all be ready to colour and cut to size.
How silly of me not to think of something so simple as stamping out a few sheets of a stamp before getting rid of it. That is an excellent idea. Here I was not wanting to get rid of some of them thinking I might want the image after I got rid of it. This totally solves that problem. Thanks!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsalamonView Post
I was feeling VERY uninspired by my stamp collection - so I got rid of a big chunk of it.

All my SU stamps - gone!
All my Unity stamps - gone!
All my Taylored Expression stamps - gone! and a bunch others!

Now I can focus on getting stamps I want to create with!

Good luck!!;
Wow! You are brave. Any regrets? What stamps/companies have caught your interest now?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, I'm so there with you. I can't standing stamping just to stamp because I'm so uninspired any more. I'm turning towards digital these days so I can get more bang for my buck.
Reply With Quote Likes