Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I become a stampin up Demonstrator?

Need your encouragement ladies and all the advice one can give. Pro, Cons, Advantages, Disadvantages. I do work full time and mainly have a group of girls that I scrapbook with. I am Canadian and I am not sure how I would promote SU products but I do spend alot of money on SU products and thought after my demonstrator put the bug in my ear that it might not be a bad idea. What do you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm a Stampin' Up demo and I love it. Personally I don't have any Cons but the Pros are access to the SU website and SCS demo side, discounts on supplies, occasional free gifts, preorders and you can make $ at it. I ordered my kit because it was a good deal and it was stuff I wanted anyway. I did a few workshops, gained a few regular customers who help me make my minimums and after 4 years it's still great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the input Jackie. Also wanted to ask for those that have blogs if you are able to post other materials, supplies, and projects other than SU products on your blog if you are a demonstrator? Can you include your stampin up demonstrator website on your blog? Hope this makes sense! I am just wondering about legality issues with SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!

Hi Scrappy Happy.
I'm an SU demo, I have a blog, and I became an SU demo last year - purely because I love the product more than any other I tried over the last 5 years.... and decided I wanted the great discounts, etc. When, I got into it, I decided I really wanted to share what I did and set up my blog.
SU did set up some guidelines around what to put on your blog, etc at the end of last year. The Independent Demonstrator Agreement that we signed, is not unlike the guidelines I have to follow in my day job (yep, I do have a day job.. which sometimes really eats into my stamping time :-)). If you visit some of the SU demonstrator blogs, you will notice that some are entirely SU, almost entirely SU, or use other products as well as SU. You will find some references to competing products (like stamps, etc) as well as references to products that were purchased at a local hobby store, but don't necessarily compete.

If you are interested in becoming a demo - and congratulations, btw :-).... and you are worried about any of the content in the Independent Demonstrator Agreement (IDA), I suggest you get in touch with your demonstrator, or someone you are looking at as a possible upline, and ask them to share the IDA with you and just go through some of your questions.

Hope this helps.. and if you decide to join up, then all very best wishes in your new endeavor!
Jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,
I am SU! demo as well. I work full time as well, and many times my job is pretty demanding. I became demo because I wanted everything from the catalog and signed up for the discount. LoL. I have been demo for 2+ years I think, it's seems it's been a long time though, it might be 3+ (sorry it's 1am and my brain doesn't work the way it should)
I haven't encountered any cons. At the moment I am even more excited about being demo because all the new products they keep coming up with. Especially the clear mount stamps. LOVE them.

I had a blog before becoming demo (well shortly before that).

If you spend a lot of money on SU! products, I believe that is the way to go (I mean sign up).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom! Because I am mainly a scapbooker I want to know if the project ideas that they offer you in the SU world are mainly for cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I go to a SU scrapbooking workshop and she does the entire layout with stamps and extras from SU. It is my intention to start scrapbooking and use my SU stamps/ribbon/brads, etc.

I thought it was a good way to get extra mileage out of my stamp sets. I'm not sure what the demo site has to offer in the way of ideas, but it sounds like you are already using SU in your scrapbooking.

My demo charges $24.00 for eight layouts...quite reasonable, I think. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I'm a scrapbooking SU! demo. The focus is mainly on cards, but there are always scrapbook samples in the monthly magazine. Also, on our new demo only site there are some great samples made by other demos.

Now is a great time to sign up with the Sale-a-bration promotion going on. Freebies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have been a demo for almost 13 years........I have never ever ever ever looked back - best 13 years EVAH!!! JUST DO IT!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just throw out there the thoughts that crossed my mind when I wondered the same thing.

Can you create within a deadline? Can you come up with projects when you have a workshop booked but don't 'feel' like it? Would 'having to' take the joy out of it for you?

I knew I wasn't cut out to be a demo when I answered those questions. If I could have answered differently, I would have signed up. I love SU, I love to craft cards, I'm good at it, I teach my friends even now,.... but not cut out to be a demo.

Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #11  

I'm a Canadian SU demo. I love it too. I don't regret it AT ALL!

You will have to watch what you put on your blog, but that just makes sense. If you are trying to sell a product it hurts yourself to advertise your competition! Check out the demonstrator agreement for details on that.

I love the discount on the products and incentives SU gives. They are a GREAT company to work for. Very friendly and happy and are easy to work with!

If you have a regular crafting group of ladies then you're all set. Your first customers!! The other nice thing is you can make your business as big as you want or keep it small and just do it as a hobby. You have a quarterly minimum amount you have to sell (or purchase) in order to stay active. It's really not a lot and not very hard to do at all. I basically have one group of ladies plus I do card making classes every once in a while and I go well above my minimum! Check the agreement for those details too. I don't remember the exact amount.

SU does have a lot of card samples but they encourage scrapbooking a lot too. I find it harder to demonstrate scrapbooking at a workshop, so I show a lot more cards. All the techniques and ideas work with scrapbooking or card making. There's also My Digital Studio!!!!

Also, now is a great time to join as you get your pick of any item from the catalogue for free. They don't always have joining incentives - they come and go. This promotion is on till the end of March.

Good luck in your decision. Hope this info helps. You can PM me if you have more questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I love being a demo. I started as a hobby demonstrator with just a few customers to help keep my demo status. The inside information, sneak peeks, pre-buys, discounts, and support are all so great! I am actually hoping to build this into a little business now.

I think its worth it for sure. There is no pressure, the very worst that can happen is you can say that you tried it and end up with a load of great products! I think you'd really enjoy it though!

Good luck with your choice! Keep us posted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #13  
kt3
Crimping Master

I love being a SU! demo! I signed up last year and have really enjoyed getting a sneak peak at new goodies coming out and being able to pay for my hobby by leading clubs & classes. I'm mostly a hobby demo, and it is a little bit of work to get things organized for clubs, etc. but it's so fun and worth it. My club members are wonderful and we have such a good time together.

Good luck with your decision! Now is certainly a great time to join with the extra discounts & freebies.

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Just remember that even if you decide not to sell to others and are still a demo for just the discount, SU STILL says you have to watch what you put on your blog. Even if you have no intention of being a demo for any possible money/income, SU considers you a demo 24/7 - you can't just put whatever you feel like on a blog, in emails, etc. about anything that SU considers a competing product or business without being in violation of their new IDA. Even if you might end up considering yourself just in it for the discount, all the same rules apply - you cannot have separate business/non-business blogs and think you're okay. ANY electronic presence you have while being a demo has to follow the new IDA or you're in violation of what you signed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Talk to your demo about the sale a bration stuff too. I know for US customers this is the best time to join as a demo......................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Now is a great time - SAB incentives woohoo!

I have been a demo for 6 + years, love it! I have had periods of time that I have been a really active demo, and times that I have just kept the minimums as a hobby demo when life or health have kept me from doing more. What I love about being a demo, is that I get to choose. I can be as busy as I want to be! I work outside the home and I have kids, so when I am up to it, I let SU be my business, and when I am not, I back off and enjoy my creative time for just me. Right now I only do quarterly stamp a stacks - it is enough to make my minimums and keep me in my SU goodies, and I am happy with that....in a few months, who knows! Whatever you decide just be sure to have fun with it and let your love of stamping guide you! My goal as a demo was always to keep it fun and not let being a demo make what I loved into work or something that I HAD to do and dreaded - it never has, because I choose my pace. Being a demo is a wonderful way to earn free stuff, earn money, make friends, learn new things.... Good luck with your decision!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #17  

I joined last march almost entirely for the discount (and to be able to get stuff before the general public...I have only child syndrome so BAD, I want it now!!!! Haha). I was pretty much spending the minimums with my demo anyway so why not join and get the discount. I have classes and workshops now and then, I'd like to have more but I work a lot of nights and weekends and I don't know that many people who stamp. But it's nice to make a few extra bucks (that I've spent many times over in the catalogs, haha) and it's fun to share my hobby with others. My small group of customers is slowly growing so that's awesome too. I'd say if you're financially able to do it (and spending a good amount anyway) to go for it. You can always drop at any time if you would need to and there's really nothing to lose. I'm very happy with my decision! And, keep in mind it's your business, you can get exactly what you want out of it whether you be a hobby demo or a more business minded one or somewhere in the middle! Good luck and hoping to see you on the other side:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy HappyView Post
Thanks for the input Jackie. Also wanted to ask for those that have blogs if you are able to post other materials, supplies, and projects other than SU products on your blog if you are a demonstrator? Can you include your stampin up demonstrator website on your blog? Hope this makes sense! I am just wondering about legality issues with SU.
You can post projects made with non-SU products. The agreement states that you can't promote, market or sell products of other companies who offer similar products. Many of us use only SU by choice. I have SU stamp sets I've earned for free and haven't even used yet so I have no desire to look at stamps from other companies.

You can put a link on your blog to your demo website. SU posts projects and samples on your business website. You can add your own content and delete theirs or not even touch it.

SU also supplies demos with new workshop samples each month so you don't have to plan your own unless you want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been a hobby demo for a few years now. I have one group of family and friends that get together every other month taking turns as hostess. The sales from these workshops meet the quarterly requirments no problem.
Love that I can do as little as much as I like and the great discounts. I can't think of anything that I don't like about it other than I wan't everything out of all of the catalogues.
Sale-a-bration is the best time of year to sign up with the discount and the free stamp set.
Don't worry too much about finding customers. Your scrap group is a great place to start. I once booked a work shop at my doctor's appointment because the nurse saw my catalogue sticking out of my purse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up about 5 years ago just for the discount. There was a group of ladies that I stamped with regularly and they are my main group. I now have my second round of club going and love my group. I have added more to my circle of stampers and enjoy spending time with them. I can't imagine not doing this at this point even though I work full time and have kids that keep me busy with sports. Somehow I manage to juggle it all and still enjoy my hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Well ladies with all of your kind words and encouragement I have decided to join the stampin up team and very excited about the opportunity. Can't wait to work with all of you!

Last edited by stamp_momma; 01-27-2010 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: edited for terms of service
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #22  

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Good Luck!!! I love SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #24  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the Stampin' Up! family! Be sure to sign up for the demo side of SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Congratulations, you will love it! Just wait until you get your package of goodies, that is the best part. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #26  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome! Looking forward to getting to know you!

I am another happy as a clam SU demo for almost five years now. Not a regret in the world--I was born to do this! I was practically giddy on the way home from a good show Tuesday night--I said over and over to myself, I can't believe they PAY me to do this!!! : ) Best of luck to you in your new adventure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

I was a demo/consultant for another company about a two years ago and lost a great deal of customers when I moved. Was thinking of starting it up, but fell in love with stamps a few months ago and thinking of StampinUp and you ladies are true encouragement. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #28  

Erica, it's a great way to meet new ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Most people who have a blog don't have their full name on it - how would SU know it's a blog of a demo unless you stated so on your blog? (BTW, I'm not a demo and don't plan to be one.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

OMG I got my first lead already to host a workshop!! What do I do. I don't even have my starter kit yet. Going to be calling her tonight to get a feel for things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #31  

That's awesome Wendy, congratulations! Go to the Stampin' Up! demo website and check out the Workshop Wizard under the Training tab. Have the list of what is coming in your kit so you'll know what projects you can do. Keep them simple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

wendy talk to your upline & others close to you. borrow what you need. if you need cardstock,etc. borrow. when you turn in your workshop order. order what you borrowed and give to those that lent it to you.
good luck. have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Wendy...that ROCKS!! Call the woman and talk about the fact that you are new, need to get your kit, and that it should be here shortly and set a date for her workshop, maybe 2-3 weeks away. That will give you some time to get to know your supplies and study the business materials you get.

Talking with your hostess about who she will be inviting, what level of stampers/scrappers they are, etc. will let you know what you can do in terms of projects. For your first workshop, I think it would be best to keep it simple and not overwhelm yourself. Hopefully your upline will work with you to help you succeed beyone your wildest dreams! Also, hope you signed up for the demo side of SCS here. There are tons of us over there who will answer questions and tons of great threads on getting your business going, project ideas, workshop ideas and questions, etc.

Congrats! I am just a hobby demo but I love SU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks Green Dragon. You were a big part of my encouragement (from the other message boards). I'm excited to do it. It's going to be a little tough I figure in the beginning but I'm going to stick with it. This will be my toughest part, getting started and convincing him to let me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #35  

Goooo Erica!

There's lots of support and ideas on the demonstrator side of the boards here (which you'll be able to apply for access once you get your demo ID) and so much encouragement. We were all new demos once and have been through it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!

Erica.... good for you! Congratulations! I've met so many amazing people in the demo community who are encouraging, supportive and all round great people. You can always rely on them to help you out.
Good luck and welcome. I know that your infectious enthusiasm will be carried through to your customers!
jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks! I'm excited to start. I guess my only worry is getting started up with a good base and the fact that I travel a lot. But I figure I did it before I could do it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #38  
kt3
Crimping Master

Hey, Erica.

I travel a lot, too, during the week for work. I am really mostly a hobby demo since I do have a pretty crazy full-time work schedule already (as I write this from a hotel room at 1am on the road...ugh), so the classes & clubs I do schedule I keep to the weekends as much as possible. That way if the boss for my "day job" says it's time for me to jump on another plane I'm not stuck either somehow having to say no to that or calling my wonderful stampers to cancel. Thankfully never had to do that!

It sounds like you're on the right track. Best of luck to you

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #39  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericaqView Post
Thanks! I'm excited to start. I guess my only worry is getting started up with a good base and the fact that I travel a lot. But I figure I did it before I could do it again.
That will definitely be a plus that you've been a demo for another company, especially if you had to travel before. It's usually easy enough to translate your methods from one company to another!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

I know. I've got a few more weeks before "I'm allowed to" lol! I talk about it just about every day so he's getting there. But we are leaving for work at the end of this month and won't be back until mid March so I figured when we get home. YEAH!!
Reply With Quote Likes