Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 06-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Do foam stamp pads rot when they get old?

I've been getting back into stamping and I'm finding a few of my old stamp pads have disintegrated. How long are stamp pads supposed to last? Thanks for any insights from all of the long time stampers here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 06-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer

I pulled out some old metallic pads at Christmas time and they had totally disintegrated. I also lost a StazOn white pad when the clear cover was completely stuck onto the pad and it ripped apart when I forced it. So, yes, I guess foam pads rot over time. My advice is to use them and keep them inked and don't lock them away like I did. I have many old Stampin' Up! foam craft pads that I use and they still look like new.
Mary Beth
Unread 06-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

I've only had pigment ink pads break down. All of my nearly-ancient dye ink pads are still fine...

geewhysees likes this post.
Unread 06-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Crimping Master

Sometimes

A lot of things can affect the pad it depends of type of ink, color-aka metallics, material pad is made of...etc:
I have had a silver ink pad melt, Colorbox petal inks both melt and disintegrate and a Vivid pad crumble before it was old. but...

I have a case of Sugarloaf permanent dye inks which haven't been made/available for probably a decade and a half that are drying out but the pads are fine. I also have 2 PSX dye ink pads that are still almost perfect. They are neither crumbling or dried out completely and I couldn't even tell you how long that company has been out of business - a really, really long time.
Unread 06-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

My pigment spots by color box disintegrated right before my eyes! Most of my other dye pads are fabric.
stamphappy1650 likes this post.
Unread 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone for all the info! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The latest pad in question is a Marvy Matchables dye ink pad. I have about a dozen of these and considering how old they are (15-20yrs), are all in good shape, except for the black one, which fell apart on me last night. I used it to stamp several images and all seemed fine until as I inked one clear stamp, the top layer of foam peeled off and fell onto my project! Yuuukk! I have no idea why it decided to give up the ghost. The only other time something similar happened was about 5 years ago when I decided to use an old CTMH embossing pad. It was dried out and I had the re-inker, so I re-inked it and let it set for a day. The next day when I went to use it, the pad was squishy. I mean when you depressed it onto a stamp to ink it, the pad didn't pop back up (the impression of the stamp remained) and then when I looked closer at it, you could see that chunks of it were disintegrating. Not a big deal as both these pads were old. I just wanted to make sure I am storing my pads to maximize their life. All in all, I guess just 2 isn't too bad, so I must be doing something right. Thanks again.
Unread 06-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
Crimping Master

ugh, been there done that...

Nothing like working on something, grabbing an ink pad and suddenly there are nasty little clump ruining your project. The more you try to remove those little bits the more you smear and mess things up. my sympathies!!

One thing I've had to realize, ok more like get over is not to hoard my crafting and art supplies because they do not last forever. I now look upon certain items as "use it or lose it" products and ink pads would especially be on that list. I will be heart broken when/if I have problems my Marvys though since I can't replace them.
Carole Hahn likes this post.
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
Cardstock Collector

Default Hoarding supplies

Hoarding craft supplies, moi? NEVER! Who does that? LOL! I try hard not to hoard but like you say, some things you can't get anymore which means you really have to think twice before getting rid of it. I haven't been stamping in awhile and have just started getting back into it. It is kind of nice that most of my supplies are still good. But, I'm sure there's a lot of new stuff to tickle your fancy, like those new Distress Oxides! Now there's something tempting to add to the hoard!
jukie, joniworx and shirlb19 like this post.
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

I've got pigment pads that are 20+ years old, and all are fine. Maybe climate/humidity plays a part? As for those Staz-On Opaques, they are the only pads I have ever had an issue with. The ink has a nasty tendency to stick to the plastic cover, as lutheran said, and then the pad tears when you try to get it off. Worst inkpads I ever bought- taught me a bit about jumping on bandwagons, if nothing else!
jukie and stamphappy1650 like this post.
Unread 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

I have some that are easily 15 + years old and they are fine, but I remember once having a embossing ink stamp pad that turned into a gloopy sticky mess, but it was a cheap one so I got what I paid for, I mean it probably only lasted 10 years lol!

Like Shaz I think it may be down to climate, with humidity etc.
joniworx and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 06-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAscrapgal View Post
But, I'm sure there's a lot of new stuff to tickle your fancy, like those new Distress Oxides! Now there's something tempting to add to the hoard!
Oh, do this! They are SO much fun to play with. If you need more encouragement, check out Jennifer MacGuire's video tutorial on them. It is very good.
Unread 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Had to throw away all of my Perfect Pearls Medium pads because they caved in and got mushy. I'm happy with my felt die-based ink pads. They hold the inks longer than the dye pads with sponge bases. I've also had some of the old Color Box go bad. But my trusty gold one still going strong and it has to be 15 years old! Who know why this happens.
stamphappy1650 likes this post.
Unread 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
Insane Embellisher

I had the same problems, after I tossed several old ink pads, I was left with the refills only.
I found on Amazon and ordered unlinked pads and filled them up with the refills.
On the other hand I have ink pads from 2006 and are in perfect order.
Unread 06-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I had a riding hood red ink pad from SU! that grew some lumpy mold like stuff on it. I tried scraping it off but it didn't work. I've been meaning to buy an Uninked pad to use the reinker for ages now. Anyone else have a SU! Pad with a weird orangey growth? (The orange colour could be from the ink I suppose)
Unread 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Rebecca, I did have that same problem with one of my SU real red ink pads as did one of my customers. I wonder if it had something to do with whatever the red dye was??

The joy of the LORD is my strength.

Right Brain Madness --My blog
Proud member of the redDivas
KSS certified multi-step stamper
Fan Club member since 2004