Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts
Default A different arc of Archivers closing

I've been reading several threads on the Archivers closing. Most of them deal with why, their selection, their prices etc. I have a different arc. My best friend and I were discussing it tonight and what we'll miss most is having a place that we can go on a whim, stamp/crop and have some girl time. We are VERY fortunate that we belong to a group of ladies that get together once a month (except June and December) and stamp/craft and have some girl time (a different lady hosts each month) but every once in a while the two of us (sometimes with two of our other friends) liked to get together away from home, work on our projects, and just catch up with each other on a more personal level. Yes, we could go to one another's house but that means someone has to clean and we're interfering with our significant others' evening. It's just nice to call each other up and say "Hey, want to do Scrap-Mania next Friday?" and we'd make the arrangements, throw a project or two in a bag, bring a snack and not have to worry about anything else.

In addition to having girl time on the fly, we've made some wonderful friends at Archivers. We met one of our dearest friends at a Scrap-Mania when she was placed at our table due to it being a FULL night. We've also become friends with a couple of former employees that now run a bi-annual charity crop that we participate in.

Even though I'm a SU! demo and buy the majority of my goodies from myself, I will miss Archivers. And before anybody rags on me about not spending enough money at Archivers thus adding to their financial woes, I am an Equal Opportunity Stamper. If I like it, I buy it, no matter who sells it and I've spent PLENTY at Archivers along with many other stamp/scrapbooking stores. When I travel, I make it a point to locate all independent stores, visit and usually spend $$. When several of us girls go for a girls weekend, it's my job to locate and map out all the stores near the area where we're staying.

I guess what I'm saying is that, with Archivers and many LSS closing, we're losing a sense of community outside of the on-line presence. Yes, we have a community here on SCS but there's something to be said for personal interaction.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with personal interaction! I am loosely connected to a stamping group in my town, and they meet for free at the police station. This station has a "community room" open to the public, and it's quite large. One just needs to call ahead, or schedule ahead to make sure it's not being used by another group.

Not a solution to Archivers closing, but perhaps a consolation prize... maybe you can find a similar community room in your town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sad ;-(. While I live too far from Archivers to really take much advantage of their store (2 hours), I was saddened when I heard about the closings.

I always feel like a kid in a candy store when I shop there! Does anyone know if the Madison, WI Archivers is still open?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Madison store was still open as of Dec. 31st. Lots of merchandise, even new Valentine stuff. I saw no evidence as of yet that they were closing.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I just don't understand. Will your group really stop meeting?? All your husbands don't understand the situation and all of you "feel uncomfortable meeting in your own homes?

An Idea

Why can't the hubby's meet to and have a night out? They have to have something in common, sports work, wanting to meet new friends??? They can be in another from, Kitchen, basement, garage.

I must have have a very easy going hubby, it never bothers him if I have a friend or friends over for stamping, home party, or whatever.

Cleaning your house, pile the dishes in the dishwasher, wipe down the counters, run the vacuum and be done with it. You are not coming over to look in the corners of my house or under my sofa. You are coming over for Fun and Friendship!

I really don't think it is that hard to make a Home Group go of it, it is What You Want To Made Of It!

You done need anything fancy, Just FRIENDS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

To the OP...I've often seen people gather for different things at our local Panera. There's a room at the back with some space and you can reserve it I think. I've even though about doing classes there so I don't have to clean the house, lol!

But, it's an option I suppose. While not as ideal as Archiver's (I was looking forward to visiting them again when we move) it would still work and you could get some yummy coffee or tea...away from the paper of course, lol!

I'm going to be moving closer to a few SCS peeps as there aren't any in my area now but I'm already thinking of seeing if they would be interested in doing this. Throw some stuff in a bag and go! And if you're a demo it's always possible people will ask what you're doing and you could attract some new customers and or friends! Just a thought since I was thinking about it already!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #7  

I don't live near an Archivers (2 hours away) but I did visit the Raleigh Store several times for crops. My upline lives in Raleigh so it was a great way to go visit her and go to a crop for two nights one weekend. I LOVED it!!! Obviously I wasn't a regular but I could see where it was so nice for those that could go! Her group goes once a month normally! I did shop like a kid in a candy store!!!! I loved their selection! I didn't go to Archivers for the same stuff I can buy in a Hobby Lobby or Michaels but for the unique selection of papers and embellishments and albums!!! So to me, the prices were fine.
For my upline, it isn't just about meeting her friends for girl time...it was KID FREE time as they all have kids! They meet at each other's houses at times but it is harder for us with kids to arrange that! The last thing I would want is friends to come over to relax and scrap and have MY kids bothering them!!!
I'm sad archivers is closing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Seriously, is it really that hard to have Friends over without having to complain about what to do with husbands or children bothering them?????

I Really just don't Understand. If you REALLY want to get together YOU will make it happen!

IDEA

Hubby takes your kids out to dinner: McDonalds if the are young enough, for a fun treat. I know I have done this.

Middle Age Range: Tell them to stay in their rooms with a movie and popcorn and extra treats. Tell them it is MOM's Night to Have Fun and Friends and BE GOOD! I know I have Done THIS.

Next Idea: If there is a situation of more kids that need watching. Have the kids in another room had have a Dad or dad's watch them. Give the dads some time together. I know, I have done this.

Again, it is NOT that hard to make a Home Group go of it, it is What You Want To Make Of It!

Really, Do all groups have to stop meeting because Archivers is Closing??? I think not.

Be Creative. If you don't want to meet at a Home find and alternative. But don't stop meeting and your Friendships!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Leslie, I get what you are saying - if you really want to make it happen, you will find a way. And I am sure that people will do that.

Even though the two Archivers here are a little less and a little more than 2 hours from me, I have gotten together with friends there and it was so nice to know that no one had to make the preparations or feel responsible for being a "hostess," and that it didn't require a lot of planning, or inconvenience or imposition for other family members. And many of us just don't have the space to have people over with enough room to work. Sure, sometimes there is a situation where it just works out for everyone, but if it's at all stressful that really detracts from the event.

Also, I believe that Archivers was open until 11 p.m. or midnight - that is great for families with young children because there is so much overlap with bedtime... less time that Dad needs to be on the job.

I know a lot of LSS have closed in recent years too but many of them do have tables and stay open late. Keep supporting those small stores so we don't lose more of them!

Regina, I hope you are able to find a good solution for getting together with friends - there are a lot of great suggestions here. Many towns have little community rooms tucked in here and there - perhaps a local Chamber of Commerce would have a lead on that for you. Of course, I know what you'll miss --- taking a few steps away from your table and entering a shopping paradise ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I just received an email from Joann's saying that they are now letting groups use their craft room when there are no classes. All you need to do is call and reserve a few days ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Nancy - You're right! It is nice to have a shopping paradise steps away.

Minders - Might have to check into Panera. I never knew there might be a room available. I wonder if it costs anything. Could get in trouble though with all the yummy goodies available.

We have no problem meeting at each others houses, it's just that its NICE to go somewhere else so that we don't have to deal with hassles of home plus we can meet new people with the same interests.

As for kids, all of our group have grown children so it's not a problem unless grandchildren come over. That's a story for another time.

My point about this thread was not about having somewhere to go, it's about losing a community. As more stores close and scrapbooking/stamping conventions get smaller/non-existent, personal interaction with people with the same interest becomes less and less, which is sad.

I am very lucky to be part of a group of ladies that make it a point to get together once a month, plus sub-groups of us take occasional road trips together once or twice a year and there's four of us that go on a girls extended weekend once a year (it's coming up in two weeks and I can hardly wait.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can anyone make this a possibility? For shopping that is? It is Awesome

Rubber Stamp Events | Promoting Artistic Rubber Stamp Shows | Rubber Stamp Events
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Interesting thread. As a hobby demo - I love to get together and just stamp for fun! (Thankful for my upline and her fun meetings). But - not so much scrapbooking.
I used to go to Archivers because they had all the "stuff" - new products I could try, especially for scrapbooking. And Regina is right - a great way to meet new people!

I had an acquaintance who opened "The Creative Resort" - a HUGE room with smaller rooms as well. Her business plan - you rented locker space to keep all your stuff and you could go whenever to scrap. She also had at least 2-3 of every kind of cutter etc for use. And she rented out the space to groups if they wanted to use it. Great lighting! The problem was - she didn't account for how much it would cost as a start-up, so it didn't last. Her original business plan wasn't working (no one wanted to leave their things there, but she was picking up steam from groups who wanted to meet there. Just couldn't stay open long enough!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only real classes in my area right now is at a tiny scrapbook store with minuscule stock. M's and J's here don't offer much in classes. Since I'm a card maker, I'd rather go to my SU demo's monthly workshops-she has a good space and setup and is less than a mile away.

I don't know what our new Hobby Lobby will have when they open this spring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

We have a local library that offers a craft weekend once a month. $5 and bring a dish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess what I'm saying is that, with Archivers and many LSS closing, we're losing a sense of community outside of the on-line presence. Yes, we have a community here on SCS but there's something to be said for personal interaction.[/QUOTE]

I am very sad about Archivers as well. I first discovered them at a stamp convention in Ohio. A few years later I was so excited that they were opening a store 20 minutes from my house! I love shopping there, their selection is much better than some of the bigger stores, and I will miss them a lot.

For your sense of community, you could try your local library. We used to have SU meetings at ours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #17  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Contact your local Stampin' Up demonstrator. Many of us are adding crops and open stamp nights to our schedules just for this very reason. I know I'm doubling what I did for scrapbooking last year due to increased demand. I am lucky enough to have two very nice venues I can use with low rental fees.

Check with banks in your area, technical schools, private colleges. We met for years in a church basement. If no one has room or it's not convenient to have it at the houses, there are other options. You just have to get creative. And lucky for us-- creative is what we do : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

I so agree with you. I will also be missing the interaction of staff at Archivers when you stop in on a whim with a question. I really enjoyed attending their card class and have met some wonderful people. One person I met is a SU demo lady and a few women meet every month. I was invited to join them and was totally thrilled. Still I will miss the time spent at Archivers. And now a moment of silence. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

for me I was not part of a group but really enjoyed meeting with others. Attending the classes and scrap nites gave me an opportunity to meet people and talk to others besides my husband who is retired. Im definately going to miss this store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been close enough to an Archivers to be affected by their closing directly, but I hear what the OP is saying. Now that she has a group they can find a way to keep it going, but the closing of places like this makes it harder for people to link up in the first place. There will also be a definite loss of convenience....homes just aren't as easy to set up like a large area in a store for crops and no one will have the built in shopping for last minute things. I always seem to leave a key thing at home whenever I drag supplies out for crafting.
Libraries are a good place to check as well as coffee houses. Most charge a fee now (our library used to be free, but with budget cuts now charges). Some coffee places will charge a flat fee or give you the room free if people buy a drink.
We had a business start up and close down last year that I thought was a fun model. They were a coffee shop with some supplies for sale and tables set up for crafting throughout as well as a separate room. You could bring in your own stuff to work or could rent out the room. I loved bringing my stuff there and working while my kids were at their swim practices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
So sad ;-(. While I live too far from Archivers to really take much advantage of their store (2 hours), I was saddened when I heard about the closings.

I always feel like a kid in a candy store when I shop there! Does anyone know if the Madison, WI Archivers is still open?
i was just at that Archiver's on Sunday, it was very crowded but nothing was on sale yet. They did have a box of used punches and acrylic blocks which I bought from at a disc price. Now on corse on Monday everything is a flat 25 % off even on-line. I am still glad I went even paying full price as I too am 2 hours away and that was my only chance to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will miss Archivers very much. I liked to go see products and ideas that I would never know existed! I am a card maker. I used to take their card classes but lately did not like their designs. I made suggestions to have contests for card designs by customers who then would be allowed to teach class on their designs. I also said I would love to teach class using the Silhouette Cameo which they had in their stores. I met wonderful staff members at their stores. I am glad I have a card group that mets monthly at our homes. In Denver area there are only 2 LSS still open. SAD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I've never been close enough to an Archivers to be affected by their closing directly, but I hear what the OP is saying. Now that she has a group they can find a way to keep it going, but the closing of places like this makes it harder for people to link up in the first place. There will also be a definite loss of convenience....homes just aren't as easy to set up like a large area in a store for crops and no one will have the built in shopping for last minute things. I always seem to leave a key thing at home whenever I drag supplies out for crafting.
Libraries are a good place to check as well as coffee houses. Most charge a fee now (our library used to be free, but with budget cuts now charges). Some coffee places will charge a flat fee or give you the room free if people buy a drink.
We had a business start up and close down last year that I thought was a fun model. They were a coffee shop with some supplies for sale and tables set up for crafting throughout as well as a separate room. You could bring in your own stuff to work or could rent out the room. I loved bringing my stuff there and working while my kids were at their swim practices.

Sorry about the whole quote I guess I did it wrong.

It is the last paragraph that I found interesting. I can't quite figure out where she was planning on getting income. Were the tables free to use? Did you have to purchase coffee to be allowed to work there? I wouldn't want coffee on my work table - that would bad - I know me.

You are right in that it would be a great place to meet like minded people and to arrange for friends to join you without the hassles of meeting at someone's house or as in your case put in time. But I just don't see any potential for making money.

Perhaps she thought she could make enough from those who would use it as a coffee house. Myself I don't think I would choose that sort of setting to meet for coffee especially if paper crafting was not my thing.

Now a craft store with a coffee area might be something different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were many people that did come in just for coffee and conversation. It is a small town without a lot of places to meet so from the coffee house angle I think it did OK. She didn't have a wide variety of supplies so I don't think she was selling much in the crafts but they did sell bulk tea (only place in town with that) as well as some coffees and syrups. She was renting out the class space but I don't think that went great either and in the last months she was paying people to teach there and charging for the classes. She also tried to expand into having some food there.
I'm pretty sure she didn't think through her costs of running the business. She still does coffee as a catering option, but the building stands unused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

May I suggest, a covered dish meal, my group does this once a quarter, and my husband looks forward to the ladies coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Through out the years, I've gone to Archivers to purchase items here and there. Done a couple of crops too.

Today I was there checking out their items for sale. Almost all of their tables and chairs are sold! The chairs are going for $50 a piece (for used that's a lot)

All their Card classes are booked. Which I wanted to take one or two.

Everything is 25% off or if you spend $100 or more you get 30% off.

I live near two of the stores. So I will miss it when it's gone!!! :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The one thing I am thankful for. Is I belong to a group of ladies that meet once a month. We all meet at the same place each month we pay $10. Which includes Lunch and the use of her supplies. I have belonged to this group since 2006. We have a great time together.

I also go on Weekend retreats close by my house. I usually drive back in forth to my house....Since it's cheaper to stay in my own home.. Instead of paying the hotel that extra money.

As for the other craft store's, I really don't go to them that much anymore.

With me being a SU Demo. and I have a ton of stuff...I could open my own craft store. I choose to stay away from them.

But I hope the other places will have a place where we can meet and scrap, I know Michael's has Classes, but I really don't want to fork out bunch of money for the classes.

I went to http://meetup.com to find a local group of scrapper/stampers.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #27  

Without having read past LeslieSpringer's husband comment, when I have my SU workshops here once per month, my husband invites his friends (some of them husbands of my workshop gals) out to dinner and a movie. They are out of our hair and we can be our creative selves! Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

ragtop- I get what you were saying. I don't have a stamping group. None of my friends stamp or even craft. I have really looked for a stamping group too. I get what you mean about losing a sense of community. If I didn't have SCS & one of my other forums I would feel isolated in the stamping world. It is more fun to stamp with friends.

Funny story I do have one LSS in my town. It's a huge store with a worldwide recognition. Lovely store & lovely employees. They do have classes and crops. It is out of my way to go to these events. I only shop there a couple of times a year. I was shopping in the store one day my DH comes over and says to me "What are those ladies doing?" I peek in the crop room. There were three ladies setting there & they were doing nothing but glaring at each other. They didn't have anything out to work on. They were just glaring at each other. I told my DH jokingly "I don't want to go to crops here!" LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Funny story I do have one LSS in my town. It's a huge store with a worldwide recognition. Lovely store & lovely employees. They do have classes and crops. It is out of my way to go to these events. I only shop there a couple of times a year. I was shopping in the store one day my DH comes over and says to me "What are those ladies doing?" I peek in the crop room. There were three ladies setting there & they were doing nothing but glaring at each other. They didn't have anything out to work on. They were just glaring at each other. I told my DH jokingly "I don't want to go to crops here!" LOL.
Yikes! I would definitely be afraid to try a class or crop there!

"My" Archivers is about 35 min. away, but I made it there 6 - 8 times per year and I will miss the selection and having a store that doesn't take FOREVER to get in new things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

I belong to two Artist Trading Card groups - in which I have made a lot of friends. We get together once a month in local craft stores - which are quite happy to have us- no charge, as we all purchase items from them from time to time and help promote their businesses. The ladies do special projects and trade those as well as the cards. I also host 2 groups of ladies in my home once a month. There is ALWAYS something to do, or talk about, or demonstrate. I live by myself and I am 77 years old, and I am not giving up just because I am "elderly" . I would go bonkers if I had nothing to do. When you meet people in a craft store- wherever it is, be friendly and open. Who knows - you might meet others with similar interests, and you could start up your own group. The friends that come here knew right from the start that I don't dust every day, vacuum every 5 minutes. They come in , sit down, and we play with our toys. Half of the ladies have spouses, but so what? The husbands usually have their own interests and friends. Get a babysitter for a couple of hours a month- either by trading babysitting time with other mothers, or paying somebody to watch your kids. You have to make your own opportunities- they are not going to fall into your laps. Be active.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel blessed to have a nice group of ladies to stamp with. I am the hostess and I provide lunch. We meet monthly. Sometimes someone else will bring dessert but normally I provide the food and water, coffee and/or crystal light. Our group is about 12 ladies and the mix is always different dependibg on who can come. We always do our own projects and visit. It is ALWAYS a great time. I cherish these special times with my two sisters and friends.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I think that for us who are already papercrafters that getting a group organized/started is something we could manage.

But what about someone who wants to start from scratch. This might be a person who has seen handmade papercrafts online or maybe at a craft fair and would like to learn to do it themselves.

I have not looked and probably should have before asking but are there tutorials on SCS that would walk someone through right from the beginning. So that they would know what equipment they should consider having, what kind of paper to buy for what they want to do and so on.

If such tutorials exist how does a beginner find SCS in the first place.

I know there are direct sales companies out there that could get them started but if you don't know about this sort of thing you are still out in the cold.

I got into this by belonging to a Yahoo group that was supposed to be multi-craft. Turns out it became paper only. That's okay because I love papercrafting and would not have been exposed to it because there are no craft stores in my area. But it gave me a place to start and from there I learned to learn on my own. The other members also suggested SCS and that is how I came to be here.

Many crafts have come and gone over the years and I think one of the problems in a craft disappearing is that there is no new blood. I come from a non-crafting family yet I myself have done many. My children are not into crafting - they just get me to make whatever. So I have no one to pass it onto. A lot of the crafts I have done were seen in craft stores or magazines. Both of which are disappearing.

So although I there are no Archivers near me I am sorry to see it go simply because it means they are not there to entice newcomers to give it a try. Newcomers are buyers unlike most of us who already own more than we can use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Last night I was Googling something and quite accidentally came across a group, not far from me, that periodically gets together to work on projects. I used to be in a group like that and it's a lot of fun. The next event coming up is a weekend at a hotel (very reasonable) but I think they have smaller get-togethers, too.

Check out the site meetup.com . This morning I also had a couple of emails for other groups based on my interests and I was really surprised that there is such an easy way to organize and find these groups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Can anyone make this a possibility? For shopping that is? It is Awesome

Rubber Stamp Events | Promoting Artistic Rubber Stamp Shows | Rubber Stamp Events
I went to the one in Collinsville, IL last year as that location is very near St Louis!
Great show, with lots of lovely booths, but one of my craft partners said even this show has less booths than before.

I still learned some cool techniques and bought some very cool stamps! If you can attend this show, do try, it's worth it!

I entered their card contest for fun. Didn't win, but it certainly was fun! I loved all the lovely diecuts at this show too. Plus their website lists the vendors, and I visited all their websites and blogs. Lots of good stuff here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I went to the one in Collinsville, IL last year as that location is very near St Louis!
Great show, with lots of lovely booths, but one of my craft partners said even this show has less booths than before.

I still learned some cool techniques and bought some very cool stamps! If you can attend this show, do try, it's worth it!

I entered their card contest for fun. Didn't win, but it certainly was fun! I loved all the lovely diecuts at this show too. Plus their website lists the vendors, and I visited all their websites and blogs. Lots of good stuff here!
Yes there were less booths and even the attendance was down. I missed last years, but 2011 was packed!

I am looking forward to this years :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I see on another thread that a company (online I think) called Oh My Crafts is closing down. They cited company changes and health as the reason. And in the last little while I have seen others mentioned.

Hope this is not a trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
Check out your church or local churches for space to meet. Usually free. Sometimes small charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I will miss Archivers very much. I liked to go see products and ideas that I would never know existed! I am a card maker. I used to take their card classes but lately did not like their designs. I made suggestions to have contests for card designs by customers who then would be allowed to teach class on their designs. I also said I would love to teach class using the Silhouette Cameo which they had in their stores. I met wonderful staff members at their stores. I am glad I have a card group that mets monthly at our homes. In Denver area there are only 2 LSS still open. SAD!
I noticed the Christmas card classes were jam packed. Why? Because the cards were super cute, nice papers, embellishments. The Birthday Card stack class they were running of late was absolutely hideous. The paper colors were horrible. No embellishments. Not sure why someone thought that was a good class to run for so long???? I too, suggested more complex, cute cards. Knew lots of gals who would have signed up (all stated, "their classes are too expensive for horrible cards." ) I agree. Not sure what the business model was there, but it obviously didn't work.
Reply With Quote Likes