Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 03-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #161
Polyshrink Goddess

bjeans I'm with you on stretching my stuff. I liked the Laura B. quote. I do better when I'm not just looking at the next thing down the road and making an effort to use what I have. I just destashed. I swear the eight new oxides and the creative corners are my last purchases this month. Too bad it's only March 2nd. The idea of looking at the whole rest of 2017 is way too daunting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
StamperDea, Bohodiva and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Unread 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #162
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF409 View Post
I unmounted my last SU stamp set and am working on putting them into the envelopes. So close to being done as I just have 20 sets to finish the packaging. Now, I have a serious question for you. If you were in my position, would you also unmount all the individual stamps too? I have about 20 drawers of them! I am definitely going to take a break from unmounting for awhile but would appreciate your opinions and think on how far I want to take this!
I am trying to make a decision on this as well. Most of my singletons have the phrase/picture printed directly on the wood rather than a sticker. I have to have the picture on the back of the foam, so that would be another step. Right now, I'm peeling the sticker off the block, sticking it to the foam, and then painting it with TIOAO.
CreativeCardsea likes this post.
Unread 03-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #163
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I am trying to make a decision on this as well. Most of my singletons have the phrase/picture printed directly on the wood rather than a sticker. I have to have the picture on the back of the foam, so that would be another step. Right now, I'm peeling the sticker off the block, sticking it to the foam, and then painting it with TIOAO.
I use the Avery pockets to store my un-mounted stamps. I cut a piece of white cardstock to fit in the pocket. I will stamp the images that will be stored in that pocket on the cardstock and slip it in the pocket as well.
If you are adhering the stamps to acetate or other mat to store them in the pockets or in a binder line them all up and scan them on your printer then print the images...
keep up the good work!
lynnewithane and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Unread 03-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #164
Proud Fan Club Member

Two months down and I feel like I'm making a bit more headway. Continued on with my goal to make more than one card when I have a stamp or set out. That seems to be working out well for me. I'm trying to do Daily Marker's 30 day coloring challenge this month, so that, too, should help to catch me up on my Send a Smile stash.

Last weekend I broke down and placed a Lawn Fawn order at Ellen Hutson. The new mason jar with jelly beans was just too much for me to resist. I'm hoping that jar proves to be as versatile as I'm envisioning it. In any case, I used that order as an incentive to go through some bins I have of SU sets and identify several that would be better served in a new home, and they are all in a plastic tub to be taken to Goodwill this month. I'm happy to say that I am getting rid of many more sets than I bought.

This month I'm hoping to get one side of my stamp closet de-cluttered and all my NBUS dies and stamp sets put into plastic envelopes and put away. Will make it a lot easier to know what I have that way.

Still no Christmas cards made. MAYBE the 30-day coloring challenge will help me out and this will be the month. Hope springs eternal.
Annecards and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Unread 03-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #165
Proud Fan Club Member

Haven't been able to use my craftroom or be online much this year due to illness . Once I'm feeling up to it I'm determined to make at least one or two cards a week and work my way up!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
jukie and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Unread 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #166
Polyshrink Goddess

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Card making is such a cheerful hobby and raises the spirits I think.
lynnewithane, Annecards, Bohodiva and 1 others like this post.
Unread 03-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #167
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=stampindoe;21382916]My 2017 crafting goal is to "start" scrapbooking. I became a stamper as I was trying to learn how to scrapbook in 2002. Now, 15 years later (which was already 25 years behind at 2002), I'm committing to, at least, dig out the pictures and organize them!!!
I have bought a variety of project life scrapbook sheet protectors so I have no excuses.

I have done nothing yet!!!
Life has gotten in the way.
I am also three months behind on the Christmas Card Challenge!!
I'll catch up soon.
Unread 04-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #168
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

And March has just zoomed by! How are you doing on your resolutions?

I went on a 2-week vacation in March - which, though awesome, meant not much crafty was happening. I'm still playing catch-up with work over it, too, so it's keeping me rather busy. The good news is that any shopping was fairly minimal and reserved for stocking up on a couple of basics (white gel pens, stamp cleaner spray and a couple ink refills) and a pirate stamp set I couldn't resist. The bad news is that even those few purchases couldn't really fit in my crafty storage.

So, my plan for April is to find supplies I can part with. I'm still figuring out how I want to go about it, but I've already got a small bundle of things that really aren't my style (mainly Magnolia stamps, I seem to have received several of those as free gifts with purchases).

I'd love to hear your progress!
Unread 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #169
Proud Fan Club Member

March was a good month - helped that I had a week of staycation thanks to a change in our PTO calendar and policies - lots of time to craft and make some headway on purging/organizing. I even got 2 Christmas cards made - not for challenges, mind you, but I'll take them - particularly since they are a super simple design and could be replicated easily enough.

I got virtually all my clear stamps organized in pockets and organized in Fridge Binz, ala Jennifer McGuire. I did purchase some new things in March, but I purged more than I added, so happy with that. My stamp closet is all cleaned up (love!) - I do still have some drawers of Christmas stamps to go through to see if any can be purged, but it is so nice to be able to find things again. I probably got about 1/3-1/2 of the pile of clear stamps that have been waiting too long to be cleaned. In the end, I got rid of enough stuff to empty out 1 Iris drawer unit.

I'm really loving the "multi-card" thing. Was able to send out several cards to church shut-ins and have about 8 cards in my stash for the nursing home recipients.

Goals for April:
- Clean the rest of my clear stamps and get them put back where they belong
- Make 4-5 cards for nursing home residents
- Make 1-2 Christmas cards
- Go through Christmas stamps and see if any can be purged
- Try to exercise my self control when I go to stamp convention the end of the month - only spend the cash I take along and be selective with purchases. Bonus points if I can buy one less stamp set than I want to buy.
StamperDea and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Unread 04-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #170
Matboard Maniac

I still have my goal I posted 3 or 4 months back - which was to loosen up creatively. To make a big mess in my craft room and love it. To make imperfect cards and to enjoy the process. I'm still working on those It's harder than I thought to leave glitter on the floor and revel in it's beauty than to immediately sweep it up. LOL.

One non-crafting goal I had was to track my spending in general - to see how much I actually spend on things like groceries, household items, and so on. And to my complete SHOCK, the amount I was spending on stamps & craft supplies was JAW DROPPING. I could never understand why I was constantly stretched so thin financially when it came to the end of a pay period... and now the reason was right before my eyes. The dollar amounts were on the excel spreadsheet, there was no way to hide the bag or tuck away my new goods. The numbers were right there. In the past, I have always donated stamps sets I've outgrown, papers, embellishments, etc. Which I love to do. I have a box for a girl scout troop right now that I add to. But what I started to also do - to offset the stamp/craft supply spending - was to SELL the supplies I no longer use on Ebay.

Ebay is tricky because it is saturated with Stampin Up items - so for most SU sets, it's not worth it... unless you have a high value/high in demand set. But my scrapbooking and stamping supplies that are not Stampin Up... always sell! I price them at a dollar below my competition or I package them as "lots." Just this weekend, I had someone buy several of my "lots" - that added up to 31 lbs of crafting supplies - for a few hundred dollars! So now I use the money that I make on selling off my old supplies - to buy new supplies so I'm not dipping into my income nearly as much!

So it's become a goal indirectly - to try to limit my spending to whatever I make in selling off items. And the funds sit in paypal, until there's something I want to buy. And thankfully, Simon Says Stamp takes paypal But at least the money is not coming out of my actual bank account nearly as much!

It will be a bit harder when I run out of things to sell... but for the moment.... it's working!

Last edited by Catherine773; 04-04-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #171
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Bye bye April!
How did the month go for you this time around?

April was a busy month for me, life-wise. There were changes at work and then adjustments at home that took up far more time than I wanted them to. I did find a rare spare moment to create here and there, but not enough time to share what I've created. I'd really like to change this in May and focus on creating and sharing mindfully again.

April was a no-spend month, save for one small order of adhesive refills, white gel pens and stamp pockets. They're a staple, sure, but I'm still going to aim for no spending in May. I've slowly been going through the stash to find items to part with, and it's a tough process. So many of my stamps are things that still inspire me that it's hard to give them up. But, I do need to pare down my stash by quite a bit because I'm running out of room to store it all in.

May is starting out busy for me already, so my goal for this month is to finish mother's day cards for my mom and mother-in-law by the end of the week and then focus on building up a birthday card stash.
jukie likes this post.
Unread 05-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #172
Gabfest Goddess

I've been busy recovering from surgery, and unmounting my wood-mounted stamps. I am putting them in DVD cases, not pockets. Today, I had enough room on a shelf to take a tote bag completely filled with newer stamp sets, and give them a home on the shelf! So happy to have more room! I also gave some old supplies to charity.
Unread 05-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #173
Proud Fan Club Member

Looking back at what I hoped to accomplish in April vs. what I did accomplish - let's just say that they don't have a lot in common. With May zooming by and several June commitments, I have a feeling that it will be July before I get back on track.

All was not lost though. I had a chance to play with some inky friends in April and was able to use one of the backgrounds I made to make a Christmas card. I also did my homework before I made a planned trip to a stamp show by checking out web sites for all the vendors to make a wish list and record online prices and shipping charges so that I had something to compare show prices with. Took my list and an envelope with the cash I was willing to spend at the show. At the end of the day, I still had $6 left! It worked so well for me that I'm planning to do the same thing for a show I'm attending late summer.

For May, I'm keeping the goals to a minimum. I want to try to get 4 more "Happy Mail" cards made as I'm taking whatever I have made along with me when I go visit my step-dad in a few weeks. I'd like to have 15 to give them - pretty sure I only have 11 finished right now. Beyond that, I'd like to get my stamp room straightened up and ready for my return after the visit with my step-dad. Finally, I want to get the stamps and dies I purchased at the show put into pockets and labeled before I leave.

Last edited by swldebbie; 05-13-2017 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Unread 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #174
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

We got through May!

Spending-wise, it was a great month for me. I have not made a single order in May - though it was largely out of budget necessity. I did have my eye on a couple of stamp sets (Birdie Brown Mermaid set and Duh-Nuh from Lawn Fawn), but so far, I've resisted placing an order. I'm going to keep it going through June, as we're still closely watching our budget.

May has been tough work-wise, as I've had a lot of extra things to do. This meant precious little time to get crafty in, though I've persevered and put a few hours per week into stamping and coloring. But I did not find the time to keep posting in my blog, so that went neglected throughout May.

My plan for June is to get back on track blogging-wise and continue the no-spend trend.

How did May go for you?
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #175
Proud Fan Club Member

Elle, Congrats on doing well on the spending, regardless of the reason. I was not at all disciplined in May when it comes to spending and June isn't starting out much better - I've already spent close to $90 and I know I'm probably going to be placing at least one more stamp order this month. Plus, I have some consumables that need to be replenished.

I did manage to get the Happy Mail cards finished and hand delivered 15 of them to the nursing home.

Rather than getting my stamp room back in order, I ended up trying to move as much of it as possible out of the room and into my 2nd bathroom as the property management company decided they would replace the carpet in my apartment, rather than clean the carpet. So I will be getting home Sunday and will be spending evenings next week trying to put the stamp room back together so that I can have some crafty time. At least I did manage to get most of my new stamp/die purchases put into clear pockets, labeled and put away.

For June, I have some card commitments that I need to get done. If my creative muse is cooperative on that front, I'm hoping to go through my Christmas stamps to see what I might be willing to part with. I'm also hoping to get a couple of Happy Mail cards made.
Unread 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #176
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Debbie-
Moving everything in and out sounds like quite a task! But maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and you'll find all sorts of hidden treasures.

One of my favorite things to do when I'm too tired to craft is to putter around and reorganize a catch-all box of supplies. It always leaves me with a feeling of inspiration, plus I remember all the great supplies I have already and I feel less like shopping.
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Unread 09-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #177
Gabfest Goddess

We are now heading towards the end of the year, so I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread.These last posts are just a few days before my knee replacement surgery, and I didn't do anything craft related for a long time. But, I did start unmounting my sets. I haven't worked on them for a while, so maybe it's time to start back up again.
Unread 09-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #178
Matboard Maniac

This was fun to go back and look at my goals - and to see how I: 1) Did great at doing one of them
2) Failed miserably on another, LOL. Turns out it's a little harder to change when you don't actively try!

So far this year - I've almost completely offset my spending on crafting supplies by selling my unused craft supplies on eBay and used the money in my paypal account to buy the new supplies. I tried to only buy at places that take Paypal. Thankfully MFT takes it and SSS! I've donated a ton too so I've narrowed down my stash which makes my room a lot less overwhelming.

What I still need to work on... is loosening up creatively. I fractured my knee recently so I have some down time, so I can work on that goal while I'm crafting! And thankfully for me, this fracture will be in my favor is for this goal - part of which was was to look at how pretty the glitter that falls on the floor is vs. sweeping it up right away. With this leg brace, I can't bend over. So that glitter is staying put!!!
lynnewithane likes this post.