Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default craft fair ideas?

I am thinking of participating in a craft fair in November for my first time. I was wondering if those of you who have done craft fairs before can share what you made and what were your best sellers, etc. I have never done this before and I am not sure were to start and what to make. I am trying to earn money to help pay for a touch screen computer for my daughter for Christmas. She has cerebal palsy and has a hard time using her right side. Her therapists have been telling us to get one of these to help her use her right hand. We just haven't had the money to get one. So if any one can help and give me some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

As for what to make, I have no idea, but what you should have on your table, I do.

Bring something, a picture, a small table note, anything to let people know why you are there and what you are doing. Tell them specifically why you are doing it. I know I buy more magazines every year that I do not read to support the schools and get pizza kits I will never eat, etc for a good cause.

I would buy something just so your child could have that amazing learning tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

One thing that was a HUGE seller at our craft show for church last year were those little photo albums you make with just cardstock. My friend is making the star-shaped ones this year as well as some accordian fold ones and squash books. Non-scrappers love to just be able to put a few photos into these and give them to grandparents, etc. She sold the simple ones for $5 each last year, and I think she's going to sell the star shaped ones for $15 this year, though I think that might be a little high. We'll just have to wait and see. She also stamped some gable boxes and made tags to match that sold well. And of course cards, cards, cards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodlepie99
As for what to make, I have no idea, but what you should have on your table, I do.

Bring something, a picture, a small table note, anything to let people know why you are there and what you are doing. Tell them specifically why you are doing it. I know I buy more magazines every year that I do not read to support the schools and get pizza kits I will never eat, etc for a good cause.

I would buy something just so your child could have that amazing learning tool!

That is a good idea! I know I am a sucker for things like this, and especially now that I have a daughter that needs help. I am always donating and buying things to help people out, because I know were they are coming from. It is hard!
Thanks again for this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDoll
One thing that was a HUGE seller at our craft show for church last year were those little photo albums you make with just cardstock. My friend is making the star-shaped ones this year as well as some accordian fold ones and squash books. Non-scrappers love to just be able to put a few photos into these and give them to grandparents, etc. She sold the simple ones for $5 each last year, and I think she's going to sell the star shaped ones for $15 this year, though I think that might be a little high. We'll just have to wait and see. She also stamped some gable boxes and made tags to match that sold well. And of course cards, cards, cards!!!

I have never heard of a squash book. Sounds interesting though! Those are great ideas too! I didn't think about those. So thanks for the idea!

Guess I better get busy, since I don't have alot of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

How about post it note holders, packages of holiday thank you notes or gift tags for packages, popcorn packets, large candy bars with the christmas fudge recipe on it, large candy bars with decorative or stamped paper around it with an envelope/folder made for someone to add a gift card to for a gift, whisks with paper shred and kisses in it that have a tag saying "Whisking" you a Merry Christmas, how about some of the gum packets that you pull out with the ribbon from the top.

I also think teacher items go well...I have a "committment" bag topper in my gallery. These would be good as I am sure "non stampers" would buy them for teachers.

Good luck...those touch screens are awesome for kids with visual impairments and motor impairments as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkim
How about post it note holders, packages of holiday thank you notes or gift tags for packages, popcorn packets, large candy bars with the christmas fudge recipe on it, large candy bars with decorative or stamped paper around it with an envelope/folder made for someone to add a gift card to for a gift, whisks with paper shred and kisses in it that have a tag saying "Whisking" you a Merry Christmas, how about some of the gum packets that you pull out with the ribbon from the top.

I also think teacher items go well...I have a "committment" bag topper in my gallery. These would be good as I am sure "non stampers" would buy them for teachers.

Good luck...those touch screens are awesome for kids with visual impairments and motor impairments as well

Thanks for the ideas! I remember seeing one of those whisk things and thought that they were so dang cute! I will have to make some of those. I haven't seen the gum holders before. Does someone have a pic in the gallery that I can take a look at? I also like that christmas fudge idea. I am definitely going to make some of those.

What should I charge for those? I am not the best at deciding things like that. How much would someone be willing to pay for something like that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I was suprised last year how well magnets sold! Those ones with the flat stones. We charged $1 a piece last year and they sold like crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

My daughter uses the touch screens at therapy and she loves them. She can't play video games to well because she can't hold onto to the controlers and push the buttons at the same time. Her right hand has a hard time holding on to things like that, especially when she has to use her good hand to do things at the same time that she has to really concentrate on.
So anyway, we want to get her the touch screen so that she can be able to play and have fun too! She sees me and her daddy, and brother on the computer and she wants to have a turn too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcmeyer
I was suprised last year how well magnets sold! Those ones with the flat stones. We charged $1 a piece last year and they sold like crazy!

Really? I was thinking about those, but then I didn't think anyone would actually buy them. What sets did you use? I am trying to think of what sets would work best with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Where do you get the stones to make magnets? I'd like to make some. I am also wondering how much to charge for post it note holders. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the stones at JoAnns near the artificial flowers. I am sure it is a regional thing but the snowmen sold the best. I live in Alaska so snowmen do well here. But the stones give the impression of snowflakes inside so they look cool. The set Tags & More is what we used b/c the images seem to work well. But I just made the cutest magnet with one of the old halloween sets using the flying witch and another one with a witch hat. I just used the pastels to creat a green image around the edge and threw in one of each magnet and a floating green witch hat candle that I found at JoAnns and plan to give these to some friends who are going to watch the play Wicked with me as something to remember the night by!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I sell a lot of burp cloths (from diapers) and Onesies, coasters, frames, whatever I choose at teacher gifts for that year, etc. People remember the burp cloths and Onesies, in particular, and come back to my booth each year for those. :-)

HTH! Have fun!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Oh, I meant to ask....what's a squash book?
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Hi! I am in UT too, I used to have a boutique booth. One thing I noticed that made a huge difference for me in sales- if it was under $5. I could make the cutest things and people loved them, but if they cost over $10 they would sit for so long. But I couldn't keep things on my shelves that cost $5 or less. People are looking for inexpensive things they can use as teacher gifts, family, etc. They like to think they have gotten a great deal (they don't know the time involved usually, it is just their perception of how long it would take them to do it themselves versus your price). So, keep your table filled with little goodie things. My biggest seller that I actually did on a whim were those jars of dry ingredients, layered so they are pretty, for treats. I seriously couldn't make them fast enough. Stuff like that is what people seem to want. Great easy gifts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Hello

Not sure on the pricing as I make them just as little gifts for staff at the schools I work with.

In terms of the gum holders...I do have one in my gallery but it is pretty plain/simple....others in the gallery are more detailed. Mine things are pretty easy as I am generally making a ton of them

Good luck again as those touch screens are great. In CA some of the kids qualify for Alta services which have funded them...not sure if this is the same in other states.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Hello

Not sure on the pricing as I make them just as little gifts for staff at the schools I work with.

In terms of the gum holders...I do have one in my gallery but it is pretty plain/simple....others in the gallery are more detailed. Mine things are pretty easy as I am generally making a ton of them

Good luck again as those touch screens are great. In CA some of the kids qualify for Alta services which have funded them...not sure if this is the same in other states.

I haven't heard of Alta services. I wonder where I could find more info on it. Her therapists didn't know of anywhere that we could try and get one from. Which was interesting, but what can you do.

I will check out your gallery and take a look at those gum holders. They sound like a cute gift! Especially for a kid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

I would try making a few of those card totes with the handles (there is one in my gallery) and fill it with some bath or spa stuff from the dollar store. Would be great for girls to give to their best friends Still keep it cheap, but the totes are quick and so simple to make
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed
I would try making a few of those card totes with the handles (there is one in my gallery) and fill it with some bath or spa stuff from the dollar store. Would be great for girls to give to their best friends Still keep it cheap, but the totes are quick and so simple to make

I checked out your tote. It was cute! I love it! Those would be cute and simple to make. I am going to have to try one. What are the dimensions for these? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I have attached the pdf here. Orriginallly found it on some thread here at SCS, but dont remember.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf paper crafts tote pattern-1.pdf (11.2 KB, 372 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Karin--I'm not finding the tote in your album. Can you put a link to it, pretty please? TIA!!! :-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I just did a craft show yesterday and was very happy with it. I made $200 which I was thrilled with considering it was held in a town with a poulation of 180 people. My best sellers were color me and paint me card sets (I did sets of 4 Christmas cards with the crayon Christmas stamps and a little box of crayons or little paint sets, I also did individual cards), mini lunch tins with mini compbook journal and pen inside, Halloween Smores (Halloween peep with graham cracker and mini hershey bar in a cello bag with cute topper...could be modified for Christmas), fisherman bracelets(my best seller by far! I just hook together 5 swivel snaps with two beads on each one and attach a tag to it with the bible verse about being fishers of men). These cost about 40 cents to make, take about 5 minutes to make and I sell them for $2.50. About 15 minutes before the show was ending people were packing up their stuff but I sold almost $40 worth of stuff those last few minutes...another lesson...stay to the end because you never know what will happen! Good luck! People will buy, especially for such a worthy cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

so glad to hear you did well at your show!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

http://www.geocities.com/close2myhrt/squashbook.html

Here are some instructions on how to make the "squash book" I mentioned in the post earlier. These aren't the directions that I used, because I made mine smaller. I used 8� x 11 cardstock cut down to 8� x 8� and then folded. So the measurements on mine are a little different. But you'll get the general idea, it's REALLY easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

they are a little heavier to carry but one thing that is usually extremely popular for gifts is the tile coasters made from the unglazed 4x4 tiles at Lowes or Home Depot. They are similar to the expensive "Thirstystone" coasters which I see selling for $20 for a set of 4 at the boutique stores. I wouldn't sell them for that much but maybe $12 or $15 or assign a "per tile" price. Stamp with StazOn (the ultramarine blue is my fav for both types of images) and stick on the little felt furniture protector feet and voila! they are done. I have found that snowmen (Frosty!) and lighthouses are both very popular (the old SU set Coast to Coast was perfect for these but many other companies have lighthouses if you don't have that) and if you bundle them into a stack of 4 and tie them up with organdy ribbon and a tag, they make a very nice presentation. The coffee related stamps seem to also be popular (I loved Espresso Yourself for that) and I'm sure that there are many other options. Maybe it would be easier to just have some samples and then stamp them as you go so people can "customize" their coaster stack??? StazOn dries fast enough that it would probably work and if you are actually working on projects, people seem to enjoy watching and when there is a crowd gathering, that attracts more people to see what is going on. Have some snowman and lighthouse tags ready to attach as that would be cheap but you don't want to get stuck with a lot of coasters that are already stamped. Any unused ones could always be returned or keep them for next time. Jan
p.s. they cost about $6 for a box of 9 tiles, the felt circles are relatively cheap or be extravagant and get cork circles at the Dollar Store! lol! I hope that your projects go over real well....good luck and let us know how it goes, ok? Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgysmom
I just did a craft show yesterday and was very happy with it. I made $200 which I was thrilled with considering it was held in a town with a poulation of 180 people. My best sellers were color me and paint me card sets (I did sets of 4 Christmas cards with the crayon Christmas stamps and a little box of crayons or little paint sets, I also did individual cards), mini lunch tins with mini compbook journal and pen inside, Halloween Smores (Halloween peep with graham cracker and mini hershey bar in a cello bag with cute topper...could be modified for Christmas), fisherman bracelets(my best seller by far! I just hook together 5 swivel snaps with two beads on each one and attach a tag to it with the bible verse about being fishers of men). These cost about 40 cents to make, take about 5 minutes to make and I sell them for $2.50. About 15 minutes before the show was ending people were packing up their stuff but I sold almost $40 worth of stuff those last few minutes...another lesson...stay to the end because you never know what will happen! Good luck! People will buy, especially for such a worthy cause!

Do you think you could put a photo of your bracelet for us to see? I am not sure what a swivel snap is?

This might be cute for my daughters Sunday School friends.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I want to see the "fishers of Men" bracelet too!!! My first craft show is at a Christian school.... Pretty please!!! :-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedScramper
Hi! I am in UT too, I used to have a boutique booth. One thing I noticed that made a huge difference for me in sales- if it was under $5. I could make the cutest things and people loved them, but if they cost over $10 they would sit for so long. But I couldn't keep things on my shelves that cost $5 or less. People are looking for inexpensive things they can use as teacher gifts, family, etc. They like to think they have gotten a great deal (they don't know the time involved usually, it is just their perception of how long it would take them to do it themselves versus your price). So, keep your table filled with little goodie things. My biggest seller that I actually did on a whim were those jars of dry ingredients, layered so they are pretty, for treats. I seriously couldn't make them fast enough. Stuff like that is what people seem to want. Great easy gifts!

How much did you charge for the jars of dry ingredients? I was worried about prices also. I am one of those who go looking for inexpensive, but cute gifts too. So I have been debating on prices and what to make. I hate to put alot of work into something and not sell it because I am asking to much for it. Do you know what I mean? What goodies were the dry ingredients for? I think I will try some of those. I like that idea alot. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzaway
they are a little heavier to carry but one thing that is usually extremely popular for gifts is the tile coasters made from the unglazed 4x4 tiles at Lowes or Home Depot. They are similar to the expensive "Thirstystone" coasters which I see selling for $20 for a set of 4 at the boutique stores. I wouldn't sell them for that much but maybe $12 or $15 or assign a "per tile" price. Stamp with StazOn (the ultramarine blue is my fav for both types of images) and stick on the little felt furniture protector feet and voila! they are done. I have found that snowmen (Frosty!) and lighthouses are both very popular (the old SU set Coast to Coast was perfect for these but many other companies have lighthouses if you don't have that) and if you bundle them into a stack of 4 and tie them up with organdy ribbon and a tag, they make a very nice presentation. The coffee related stamps seem to also be popular (I loved Espresso Yourself for that) and I'm sure that there are many other options. Maybe it would be easier to just have some samples and then stamp them as you go so people can "customize" their coaster stack??? StazOn dries fast enough that it would probably work and if you are actually working on projects, people seem to enjoy watching and when there is a crowd gathering, that attracts more people to see what is going on. Have some snowman and lighthouse tags ready to attach as that would be cheap but you don't want to get stuck with a lot of coasters that are already stamped. Any unused ones could always be returned or keep them for next time. Jan
p.s. they cost about $6 for a box of 9 tiles, the felt circles are relatively cheap or be extravagant and get cork circles at the Dollar Store! lol! I hope that your projects go over real well....good luck and let us know how it goes, ok? Jan

The craft fair isn't till the first weekend in Nov., but I will for sure let everyone know how it goes. Especially since you all have helped me out! I appreciate all the help and suggestions that I have been getting! I am nervous about this event since it is my first time. But you all have helped me out alot.
And I am going to give those tile coasters a try. I have been getting alot of replies saying that those were great sellers!
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Thanks for posting the squash book! cute!
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgysmom

What prices were you charging for your stuff? I hate to cheat myself because of the time it takes to do these, but then I don't want to not sell anything because my prices are to high! I am liking the idea of the color me and paint me cards. And also can you share a pic of your bracelets that you make. They sound so cute!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

I posted a picture of a bracelet in my (pathetic)gallery. Swivel snaps are found in any fishing area of stores. I get mine 12 in a pack for 96 cents. The beads are just seed beads, but not the smallest ones. When you put the bracelets together, you do need to straighten the clasps a little so the beads will go on, so pliers or some other tool is necessary. when you see them you'll understand what I'm saying. I also brought extra snaps and beads with because some people's wrists were too big or some wanted them as ankle bracelets so I just added more. I live in northern Minnesota where fishing is so popular that that's another reason I think they sold well. The color and paint me cards I sold in sets of 4 for $5.00. But they were just plain white cardstock stamped and then layered on either green or red. I also just stapled mine on to the backgound piece, cuz it was so fast and cheap to do it that way, and staples are so popular now. I also sold them without envelopes, which no one seemed to mind. I picked up these little paint sets at the dollar store in packs of six. they were 3/$1.00 so I got 18 sets for a dollar. They were in the area with party stuff. the crayon sets I ordered super cheap from Oriental Trading. They have snowmen on the boxes. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I hope you do well on yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I am going to post this b/c I have gotten a couple pms with ladies asking how to make these. I just want you to see what the finished product looks like. I didn't make these but this gives you an idea of what it looks like complete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerh
Karin--I'm not finding the tote in your album. Can you put a link to it, pretty please? TIA!!! :-)
Here you go!!

Enjoy all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Thanks for posting the tote link! :-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Oops...<blushing> I hit enter before I said that I really like it and think it's cute. No wonde it sold! Way to go.
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I am going to post this b/c I have gotten a couple pms with ladies asking how to make these. I just want you to see what the finished product looks like. I didn't make these but this gives you an idea of what it looks like complete.

These are so cute! I like them. Thanks for sharing them with all of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Default Cookies in a jar?

What do you a charge for these jars? The ones with the dry ingredients in them for making cooking or brownies. I want to make some for the craft fair, but don't know what to charge! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrie
What do you a charge for these jars? The ones with the dry ingredients in them for making cooking or brownies. I want to make some for the craft fair, but don't know what to charge! Any suggestions?
I charged $3.50 to $4.50 per jar. It depended on how much the ingredients cost. The m&ms cost more than choc. chips, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Oh morgysmom---I can't find the fisherman bracelet. What am I doing wrong? Can you please help? I'd love to see it!!! OR...can anyone help? Pretty please? ;-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes