Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default countertops ???

Just curious for those who have purchased countertops from Home Depot, Menards, Lowes etc... Do you have to look for anything special? Do they have a lip on the front that would hinder a drawer to open. I am thinking about getting a 6 ft. counter top and put on top of the Target cubes. Has anyone done this yet? Does it work well? And is 2 stacked cubes the right height for stamping?
Thanks for all of your help

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have premade countertops in my scrap room. If I was to do it again, I would use plywood and cover with laminate. The backsplash part doesn't allow you to push things right up to the wall. I have organizers pushed back against it, but there is about a 2" gap between them and the wall. I just got some cubes myself, and I think that two stacked together would be a good height for your stamping desk. HTH's

Debby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I was wondering about that back part that comes up. I wonder if they make them without that? I will have to check and see. While I was there tonight I didn't think about those questions. I was just looking at the size and price.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

We bought ours from Home Depot for my craft room. They are on top of my cabinets, and they have no lip, so drawers can open easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmolitor
Just curious for those who have purchased countertops from Home Depot, Menards, Lowes etc... Do you have to look for anything special? Do they have a lip on the front that would hinder a drawer to open. I am thinking about getting a 6 ft. counter top and put on top of the Target cubes. Has anyone done this yet? Does it work well? And is 2 stacked cubes the right height for stamping?
Thanks for all of your help
I did this. I have 6 cubes, 4 on one side (stacked 2 high) and 2 on the other. You'll need a spacer (I used some 1x4s) if you have one with the lip. I attached a 2x4 along the wall and placed the countertop on that and the cubes (there will be a space in the back). Hopefully I made sense here......lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I have a counter top from IKEA and it is GREAT! On one side I have legs that I purchased at IKEA and on the other side I have 2 file cabinets with my paper. I LOVE it, plus I was able to find it that matched my shelving units in my stamp room...also from IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I recommend pricing it at a local shop over HD or Lowes. We remodled our kitchen last May and when we priced the counters at both those stores w/o installation they were double what we paid w/installation for the same product. So be carefull! You can use the money you save for more stamps! :O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you all for your suggestions. Any one else have any other ideas? I was also thinking about putting legs on the countertop instead of sitting it right on top of the cubes. Then I could put the cubes under it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have premade countertops from Lowes. I got 2 four foot sections that meet together in the corner of my stamp room. My DH installed them with a bracket on each end to hold it up (so 4 brackets total) and there were special connectors for the middle to keep the two pieces tight/without a gap in the corner. I LOVE my countertop. I put a two drawer file cabinet under each end and still have some space between it and the countertop (a couple inches). I was worried about the weight being on the file cabinets, so that's why we used the brackets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

If you're installing it on top of something like cabinets, cubes, or whatnot then you'll need to buy the small kit that has nails and 1x1x3 blocks to nail under the counter which gives it a bit of lift. Then mount it properly to the furniture. It's important to properly install so that you don't cause issues down the road. Talk with someone from Lowe's if you have any hesitation or don't completely understand. My husband is very handy so he knows exactly what needs to be done. Sometimes it's frustrating b/c I want to FINISH and start crafting, but it needs to be done right. You don't want to kill anyone or something crazy like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

We're in the process of finishing our basement and got basic, unstained cabinets for the base and the wall above and a 10 feet laminate countertop. it looks great, and doesn't have any thing that would hinder you. Before that, we actually had an unfinished basic wood door, covered it with contact paper and sat it on 2-two drawer filing cabinets. Cheaper version, it was a good height in my chair and gave us plenty of space to spread out, yet was still hard enough to stamp on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought my counter tops at Home Depot when my husband built my rooms. I set them on top of the cabinet bases that I bought and painted. It is an L shape. I had no problems with anything - opening drawers is fine. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have a picture in my gallery of my countertop. We bought it at Lowes. I love the back lip because my stuff doesn't fall through. I put pegboard above it to hold my stuff. Plastic pegboard is much nicer than the painted particle board stuff. I think they run about $14 each- I have two. The countertop just sits on top of the two cubes with slide out drawers DH made for me. He made a support for the middle, too, but it just sits on that as well.
Reply With Quote Likes