Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copyright on sentiments?

I often see sentiments or phrases on cards that I like but think I could do that! It may be the actual words or the way it is set out. We all know that stealing images is wrong but I wonder if I would be wrong to use a sentiment I see on a card in a shop or on a stamp set if I re-created it in a computer program? It would obviously never be exactly the same. I only make cards for personal use so I think it would be ok?

Your thoughts please ladies.

Ruth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

If you take it off of a card, it's probably covered by copyright, and stamps are copyrighted too. I would suggest checking with Mo Manning of Mo's Digital Pencil. She has a website about copyrighting, but I'll be darned if I know the address.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One way to check is to type the saying into google and see what comes up. Often we will see a sentiment and then under it in small print is the author or in simpler language the person who said it. I often see ones from Helen Keller, Mother Teresa etc. if I am looking for a particular saying and which company has produced it I will type in the sentiment to see if I can find it.
There will always be people who feel you cannot use something that is produced as a rubber stamp but I dont think anyone could actually do much as words are words, UNLESS you do an exact copy of their sentiment, font and layout, or take a saying that was unique to this company and copyrighted, then that would be a different matter.
Recently the trend is 'you make me happy when skies are gray' and I have seen that in so many stamp sets, digitals and cutting files.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quotes, phrases etc. can't be copyrighted in general. What the stamp company has a copyright for is their IMAGE containing those words. So if you're typing "You rock" into Microsoft Word and that happens to be on 80 billion rubber stamps, you're fine . If you scanned/reproduced their image of that phrase/quote, whatever, you'd be violating their copyright. The reason they are able to use and sell the image with those words is precisely because they are not copyright-able - otherwise they couldn't make a stamp with a Mother Theresa quote, etc.

>>> http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

If I use a poem or quote from someone famous (say like on a sympathy card,) I will put that person's name under my quote.

I would think if you don't sell your cards, but use them for personal use only (like you do copyright stamps) you should be fine, but that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailhelenView Post
Recently the trend is 'you make me happy when skies are gray' and I have seen that in so many stamp sets, digitals and cutting files.
That is also in a song that people sing!! So I would think putting that on a card would be fine. But you can always write on the back of the card "Lyrics by Oliver Hood".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You cannot copyright words, only the style. So you can take a quote or phrase, type it up in any font you wish, and be fine. You would have an issue if you used exactly the same font, type size and layout as someones stamp. As understand Blue says- that is effectively their image you are duplicating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Wasn't there some legal fuss over someone trying to copyright the phrase: "Keep calm & carry on"? I remember when Stampin Up withdrew their Salebration or hostess (I don't remember which) stamp set with this phrase several years ago & people were trying to sell the set for over $500.00 because they thought it would be oh so rare. I never heard the outcome of the dispute, but it must have been resolved because the "Keep Calm" phrase is on stamps all over the place now.

-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
You cannot copyright words, only the style. .
Yes, or someone would really be raking in the dough over "Happy Birthday!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Yes, or someone would really be raking in the dough over "Happy Birthday!"

Actually, that's why restaurants have their silly little ditties instead of singing Happy Birthday. Unless something has changed in the 7 years since that page was updated, Happy Birthday is still under copyright.

snopes.com: Happy Birthday Copyright
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
Wasn't there some legal fuss over someone trying to copyright the phrase: "Keep calm & carry on"? I remember when Stampin Up withdrew their Salebration or hostess (I don't remember which) stamp set with this phrase several years ago & people were trying to sell the set for over $500.00 because they thought it would be oh so rare. I never heard the outcome of the dispute, but it must have been resolved because the "Keep Calm" phrase is on stamps all over the place now.

-
Actually, the copyright is apparently enforced in the EU... assuming the Wiki info's correct:

"In August 2011, it was reported a UK-based company called Keep Calm and Carry On Ltd had registered the slogan as a community trade mark in the EU, after failing to obtain registration of the slogan as a trademark in the United Kingdom. They issued a take-down request against a seller of Keep Calm and Carry On products.[unreliable source?] Questions have been raised as to whether the registration could be challenged, as the slogan had been widely used before registration and is not recognisable as indicating trade origin. An application has been submitted by British intellectual property advisor and UK trademarking service Trade Mark Direct, to cancel the registration on the grounds that the words are too widely used for one person to own the exclusive rights but the request for cancellation was rejected and the trade mark is still protected in all EU countries. The company is now trying to register the slogan as its trademark in both the United States and Canada."

Keep Calm and Carry On - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought this article was interesting.

Copyright law of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
You might also find it interesting to poke around on the Copyright Office's site. I like to look at their FAQs a lot.

U.S. Copyright Office
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Actually, that's why restaurants have their silly little ditties instead of singing Happy Birthday. Unless something has changed in the 7 years since that page was updated, Happy Birthday is still under copyright.

snopes.com: Happy Birthday Copyright
I meant the phrase (sentiment), as in the OP's question, not the song! It was hilarious to think everyday phrases could be copyright protected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I meant the phrase (sentiment), as in the OP's question, not the song! It was hilarious to think everyday phrases could be copyright protected.
Oh, I'm sorry! Someone mentioned the "you make me happy when skies are grey" lyric so I had songs on the brain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Quotes, phrases etc. can't be copyrighted in general. What the stamp company has a copyright for is their IMAGE containing those words. So if you're typing "You rock" into Microsoft Word and that happens to be on 80 billion rubber stamps, you're fine . If you scanned/reproduced their image of that phrase/quote, whatever, you'd be violating their copyright. The reason they are able to use and sell the image with those words is precisely because they are not copyright-able - otherwise they couldn't make a stamp with a Mother Theresa quote, etc.

>>> http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf
Very interesting Thanks!

Off Topic: Lydia I just looked at your SU store web site and it says you have stamping classes at 12:00 AM ( at Midnight?) and at 9:30 AM
It that correct or is it a typo ?
Reply With Quote Likes