Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting SU to Acrylic

What would be the best way to convert SU stamps to red rubber unmounted, I really like using the acrylic blocks so much better. Thanks for any help you can give. *~*
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I use EZ Mount for all of mine. It saves so much space, and I like to see where I am stamping, instead of "this might be kind of close."

There are some people I know use double sided tape, and some use that tac it over (not completely for sure what it is called.) By what I have seen, it is mostly just personal preference as well as cost.

I for one am very glad mine are on the EZ Mount.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Hi Teresa...

I am in the process of doing this. Luckily I had put all my music CDs into a binder and had gobs of cd cases left over.

I just pop a few blocks at a time into the microwave, then pull the stamp and foam off the block. Careful, as the block is likely a bit hot. There's enough sticky remaining on the foam to stick nicely on the acrylic blocks. I arrange them in the cd cases, label with a return address label and stack.

I found going alphabetically helped so I could move the labels a third of the way in for each letter. As in, A's the label is on far left, Bs middle, Cs far right, etc....

You'll be amazed how much more space you will have. I have tons of clamshell cases stacked up, but someone is always wanting those, or I'll just recycle...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well - I'll tell you what I do - I haven't "converted" all my old sets to UM but might have to sometime because of storage.

With any new set, I toss the wood blocks and put the UM rubber stamps in a CD case - and put the name of the set on the end. Whenever I want to use a stamp I mount it on an acrylic block that I have put Tack N Peel on. . . I'm very happy that my system takes up so little space. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I microwave for about 6 seconds and then peel off.

I use Aileen's tac it over. I didn't like ez mount.

Have never regretted changing over to acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have used the easy mount. Works perfectly! now that I will not be demoing in an "official" sense, I will convert all of mine. Just don't use the stazon type of cleaner to clean the stamps. It effects the clingability (is that a word) and the easy mount wil not stick to the acrylic block. Regular water cleaner is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapomView Post
I use EZ Mount for all of mine. It saves so much space, and I like to see where I am stamping, instead of "this might be kind of close."

There are some people I know use double sided tape, and some use that tac it over (not completely for sure what it is called.) By what I have seen, it is mostly just personal preference as well as cost.

I for one am very glad mine are on the EZ Mount.

Do you take the gray backing that is on them now off and reaply the EZ mount or leave the gray mount that comes on them there and add the EZ mount?

thanks so much
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

sorry, hit save twice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
Do you take the gray backing that is on them now off and reaply the EZ mount or leave the gray mount that comes on them there and add the EZ mount?

thanks so much
I take all the mount down to the rubber and then put the ez mount on. I tried the other way, and I didn't like it. Thankfully I tried it before I did them all that way. I always have ez mount on hand, because I never know when I will get more whether they are from SU, just rubber from somewhere, or I find a stamp from michael's or hobby lobby that I just can't live without.

If you are going to use ez mount, make sure you look around for the best price. Usually, the more you buy at once, the better the price. Also, like I said, then you just have it around for when you need it.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful evening!:-D

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #10  

Quote:

I take all the mount down to the rubber and then put the ez mount on. I tried the other way, and I didn't like it. Thankfully I tried it before I did them all that way. I always have ez mount on hand, because I never know when I will get more whether they are from SU, just rubber from somewhere, or I find a stamp from michael's or hobby lobby that I just can't live without.

If you are going to use ez mount, make sure you look around for the best price. Usually, the more you buy at once, the better the price. Also, like I said, then you just have it around for when you need it.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful evening!:-D

thank you so much, I cannot wait to get started, my SU stamps have been very neglected because they are on wood, so sad. My LSS has it but I think it is kinda of high. I am not sure who sales it, I will hunt for it, thank you again for you help.....I'm excited! *grin*
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Just to add to this Teresa...there are two different lots of Ezy Mount out there...the normal grey one and a thinner black one. Depending on how you are going to store them, will be the decider on which one you will be wanting.

I store my UMs in those stamp keeperes (clam shell type folders), so I choose the black thinner one ....because depending on the maker of the stamp...some are too thick with the grey ezy mount to fit in the stamp keepers and have them shut properly.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

thank you so much, I cannot wait to get started, my SU stamps have been very neglected because they are on wood, so sad. My LSS has it but I think it is kinda of high. I am not sure who sales it, I will hunt for it, thank you again for you help.....I'm excited! *grin*
You are welcome! Here is one place, and I went looking for this other one that ends up to be cheaper, and I am not sure what I did with the site.

http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?n...duct_id=220595

This one is just under 16.00 for 5 sheets, and the other one actually sold it for I think, about 45.00 for 20 sheets if I remember right. Google it, and look. If you happen to find a really good deal on it, please let me know. I will be needing some more of it soon. In the meantime, I will still look as well.

I hope you will like it as much as I do. I would really prefer to use my acrylic blocks.

Good Luck, and fall in love again with those neglected stamps again!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OR You could avoid the expense of EZ Mount - not to mention the TIME - and just use Tack n Peel on the acrylic blocks. It's a clean, simple system. I love it!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissyleaView Post

I just pop a few blocks at a time into the microwave, then pull the stamp and foam off the block. Careful, as the block is likely a bit hot. There's enough sticky remaining on the foam to stick nicely on the acrylic blocks. I arrange them in the cd cases, label with a return address label and stack.
I was just thinking about unmounting, too. Thanks for the microwave tip. Now, I need to get me some EZ mount. I use the clamshell cases to store Nesties, scraps of paper and even as gift box items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken all my rubber stamps down to just bare rubber. I use either double sided tape (cheap kind, not my nice Scor-Tape) or just use a glue dot or two to hold the stamp on the acrylic block. I do use a stamping mat under my paper when stamping. This system works for me! Cheaper and easier than purchasing the other mounting stuff.

Sorry, I don't re-cycle, I just trash the wood blocks and foam mounts.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted all of my Stampin Up stamps and originally planned to use Ezmount but after purchasing it and mounting a few on it I decided to try other methods. The one that I ended up using for most of my stamps was to leave the foam on the rubber and most have enough sticky to use on an acrylic block. The ones that don't I use Tack N Peel. The new ones that I purchase I just leave the paper on the rubber and dispose of the wood blocks, then use the Tack N Peel. One other thing that I did is to pull the label off the wood block and put it on the CD case. It worked great and most still had enough glue to stick perfectly to the CD case. You can see some pictures in my gallery in the Stamp Room Album.

I purchsed Ez Mount from www.sundayint.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I just finished up mine. The cheapest method I've found is Tack It Over and Over, bought at Michaels. The EZ mount was too expensive when considering how many sets I owned. The other thing I thought about was that it would probably be almost as time consuming as doing the tack it stuff.

Someone here posted a video of the process let me see if I saved that

I can't find it but it was super easy, just popped them off and painted on a layer of tack it let that dry and mounted them in cd cases. So much space was saved by doing this.

here is a video on EZ mount

http://www.mypinkstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Just another variation you may want to consider, I haven't unmounted, but some of my customers have. (scs'ers of course lol) I like this idea so I thought I would share it. They unmount the stamp and then peel the clear label off and stick that to the back of the foam. I think some of them keep the foam on and some don't by preference, but they attach the label to the back, so they can see it through the block and then they apply the tack it over and over. Aileen's is the brand I think.

They haven't converted me yet, but I am considering unmounting some of my retireds. To be honest I have several clear and unmounted stamps that I hardly ever use, because It is a different process than just grabbing the stamp and going which is what I am used to. But I hardly use a lot of my retired stamps, and will never get rid of them because I love the image, so I figure those will get used about as often that way lol and I will have more space.

Belinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Microwave works, I do it as well, just be careful to not leave them in very long, and be careful taking them out. Some things you just find out without anyone telling you I have also used my heat gun, heated them up that way, then pull the backing off.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #20  

thanks for you help, I have taken rubber off the SU wheels before and mounted it with EZ mount and now store them in a CD case like all my others stamps. I am sure I will go the route of EZ mount. A friend and I shared a piece, but it was expensive at our LSS. I will shop around for the cheaper price, my opinion of the expense is why not buy the EZ mount I have wasted money on stamps I am not using....the big qustion is when is SU going to get with the program and go to acyrlic? I don't think they like change. thanks for all the advice! *~*
designing for
AMAZON shopping

Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

thanks for you help, I have taken rubber off the SU wheels before and mounted it with EZ mount and now store them in a CD case like all my others stamps. I am sure I will go the route of EZ mount. A friend and I shared a piece, but it was expensive at our LSS. I will shop around for the cheaper price, my opinion of the expense is why not buy the EZ mount I have wasted money on stamps I am not using....the big qustion is when is SU going to get with the program and go to acyrlic? I don't think they like change. thanks for all the advice! *~*
you are so welcome. I have seen other people talking about unmounting their wheels, but I have not done that. I am not so sure I will, but who knows, maybe in the future.

I actually like mine mounted on the ez mount regardless of the expense. When I use my acrylic stamps, I have to have something underneath the paper, with the ez mount I don't.

I agree, however, I found that is just not the thing to say...makes some very angry about bringing it up (again). Oh well, people have different reasons for wanting different things! Can you tell I have already been told about it? LOL!

Have a wonderful day!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't want to hijack Teresa...but I am still out on the acrylics...I am thinking good old rubber lasts longer. But giving an option for UMs...well that would be great business sense and save lots of trees...Just how many people are throwing away wood mounts?

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Don't want to hijack Teresa...but I am still out on the acrylics...I am thinking good old rubber lasts longer. But giving an option for UMs...well that would be great business sense and save lots of trees...Just how many people are throwing away wood mounts?
I would really appreciate the UMs as well. Space is important to me. I also throw my wood blocks out, or give them to someone with a wood burning fireplace. I would use them to make bird toys, but I have no idea with what they are treated, so I don't even go there.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Poor poppet....You should be able to have an opinion. I know lots of people who adore acrylic stamps. I have heaps of them but over time, I am finding clarity of image & the state of the stamp itself are little issues. Rubber I have had since the early 90's is still going strong...actually rubber I have had when teaching all the way back to the early 80's is still going strong.

I think I am questioning whether acrylics have that staying power.
But UMs in rubber...go man go!!!!!!! Love them ...have tonnes of them...give me more...more...more!!!!

And yep, I am an Ezy mount girl...Tried all that funny glue stuff and sticky tape years ago and found it all a pain. Would rather buy the mount....and if you think it expensive there....you wanna come to Australia!

Michelle

Quote:

you are so welcome. I have seen other people talking about unmounting their wheels, but I have not done that. I am not so sure I will, but who knows, maybe in the future.

I actually like mine mounted on the ez mount regardless of the expense. When I use my acrylic stamps, I have to have something underneath the paper, with the ez mount I don't.

I agree, however, I found that is just not the thing to say...makes some very angry about bringing it up (again). Oh well, people have different reasons for wanting different things! Can you tell I have already been told about it? LOL!

Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Poor poppet....You should be able to have an opinion. I know lots of people who adore acrylic stamps. I have heaps of them but over time, I am finding clarity of image & the state of the stamp itself are little issues. Rubber I have had since the early 90's is still going strong...actually rubber I have had when teaching all the way back to the early 80's is still going strong.

I think I am questioning whether acrylics have that staying power.
But UMs in rubber...go man go!!!!!!! Love them ...have tonnes of them...give me more...more...more!!!!

And yep, I am an Ezy mount girl...Tried all that funny glue stuff and sticky tape years ago and found it all a pain. Would rather buy the mount....and if you think it expensive there....you wanna come to Australia!

Michelle
I have not been stamping long enough to see if any of my acrylic stamps have any problems over time - it hasn't been that much time! I love love love using the acrylic blocks. I tend to like to see where I am actually stamping without looking underneath the block. I also buy stamps online and at conventions that are just the rubber, put it on the ez mount, and I am good to go! In my stamps, I probably only have maybe 1 - 2% acrylic, and the rest are rubber.

Do they not have it there, or is it just that much more expensive? Or do you have to order it from here, and then have all those extra costs?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I get it from someone who imports from the US so it has all the attendent charges I would say attached to it.

I also love the acrylic blocks. I have what are called yoyos...an acrylic block with a handle (a round one on the top). I find I can handle the block way better than the flat acrylics that I have here...and I can keep my little fat fingers away from the ink heaps more easily too!

mmm... I was going to attach a piccie of my blocks but the editing thing is not here, sorry!

Ar ha...Found it....they are not the best of piccies...but gives you an idea.

Michelle

Last edited by shellpole; 10-20-2010 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Those are pretty cool! Mine are just the flat blocks, and I get my fingers in the ink. Everyone knows when I have been stamping! LOL!

They have these handle things that just attach to the flat ones here, and I tried one once, and let me tell you what! For something that was supposed to make it easier and cleaner, made me look like I was totally challenged! (I have found that happens with a lot of things that are supposed to make everything easier with me!)

Maybe the ones you have I might be able to do, but these are like handles. I don't have a picture of them, and I certainly don't have any to show you. LOL!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you do not need cushion on the rubber...you can just slap it on acrylic blocks with double stick tape and place your paper on Fun Foam 8 12/ x 11 sheets ($.79). The outcome is absolutely the best. The professionals at an artist stamp show demonstrated and now I love raw rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #29  

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Teresa, I'm so glad you started this thread! I've learned a lot and may just give this unmounting process a try. I look at my acrylic stamps and I have tons of them in one bin, whereas my wood mounted sets take up 3/4 of a large bookcase! I don't have the luxury of an extra stamp room; my space has to double or triple for other functions. This would really free up space to buy other 'new toys' - lol!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Hope it is ok to post this link. Just found this site where you can see the easy mount. http://stampinstuff.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Bichon Lover....I can handle that pricing...IF they had any in stock. Have asked and waiting for a reply about ETA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Cannot unattach these Kathy! ...I have seen the ones you are talking about but have not tried them...luckily by the sounds of it!

Inkless fingers with these.

Michelle

hich, in my opinion make them better!
Quote:

Those are pretty cool! Mine are just the flat blocks, and I get my fingers in the ink. Everyone knows when I have been stamping! LOL!

They have these handle things that just attach to the flat ones here, and I tried one once, and let me tell you what! For something that was supposed to make it easier and cleaner, made me look like I was totally challenged! (I have found that happens with a lot of things that are supposed to make everything easier with me!)

Maybe the ones you have I might be able to do, but these are like handles. I don't have a picture of them, and I certainly don't have any to show you. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Just a word on this....It does work in some cases where the rubber is nicely and deeply etched and trimmed really well. I have found if those things are not the case it makes for "dirty" stamping....inked bits that show which were not meant to.

The pros I bet were using deeply etched stuff neatly trimmed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
you do not need cushion on the rubber...you can just slap it on acrylic blocks with double stick tape and place your paper on Fun Foam 8 12/ x 11 sheets ($.79). The outcome is absolutely the best. The professionals at an artist stamp show demonstrated and now I love raw rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Question: I have peeled most of mine off the wood, microwaved, etc. but some of my stamps have a very thin coat of something (not sure what). Its not smooth, sticky or easily peelable. Have tried Undo ~ nope. Have to use my exacto (VERY carefully) to get down to the rubber. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Just a word on this....It does work in some cases where the rubber is nicely and deeply etched and trimmed really well. I have found if those things are not the case it makes for "dirty" stamping....inked bits that show which were not meant to.

The pros I bet were using deeply etched stuff neatly trimmed.
rather than using fun form, I have a couple of pieces of scratch cardstock in an envelope and use this under the piece I am stamping on...it offers a firmer surface to stamp but still give a slight cushion. This works with both unmounted rubber and with acrylic. I have the "dirty" stamp problem with acrylics more than rubber. My unmounted rubber are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
Question: I have peeled most of mine off the wood, microwaved, etc. but some of my stamps have a very thin coat of something (not sure what). Its not smooth, sticky or easily peelable. Have tried Undo ~ nope. Have to use my exacto (VERY carefully) to get down to the rubber. Any ideas?
I also experienced this problem...unfortunately, I sat on the couch, watched TV and rubbed this film off. don't do too many at one time or it will leave your rubbing fingers raw!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I did the same...and got a few blisters into the bargain. If you have to unmount any more...try to pick this bit up when starting to peel away from the block. A lot of times it will come away with the rest if you are super careful. Otherwise...rubbing and blistering!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pammersView Post
I also experienced this problem...unfortunately, I sat on the couch, watched TV and rubbed this film off. don't do too many at one time or it will leave your rubbing fingers raw!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
Is it kind of that fuzzy stuff? I used to be very particular and would work hard at getting down to the very barest of rubber. You know what? If it is just that thin layer, you can leave it and stick it on the EZ Mount without any problems. (Even if it is just on part of the rubber.) Now, if you are talking about actual pieces of the cushion, that will have to be removed.

I've had my stamps unmounted for a few years now and LOVE it!! The Stampin' Up stamps are probably the easiest to rip from the cushion. I've never had to use the microwave at all. Just work a little corner and then peel the rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

One of my girlfriends unmounted all of her stamps and realized about halfway through that she should have used the THIN EZ Mount, rather than the thicker stuff. It stores smaller that way and it works better for her with the way she stamps. She got her EZ Mount at Sunday International.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I did that with all my wheels ((unmount them off the wheels)), I just couldn't get the hang of using the wheels...ugh!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes