Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #201
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppofct View Post
Hi,
possibilities:::

Can you blend out the spots with spritz of water and an applicator-
or Do you have any of those fibers that you can add with charm on the right. The charm can cover the spot and the danglish fibers can be with with the asian theme. If you do that I dont think you would need the leaf on the bottom.
Thank you very much for the suggestions! I'm going to try the aquabrush and per my previous post, maybe try to layer something (once I get rid of the leaves). I don't think I have any fibers that would work and it is actually a silver sticker, not a charm so I'm not sure what I can do with that. The leaves do have to go though, so that's my first step! Thanks again!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #202
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
aww, it is a wonderful image. I would hate to see it scrapped! the best I can come up with is maybe to cut it out. but that might be astronomically hard.... maybe you can set it aside for a bit, and a fix will come along later... then you will still have your record! It's not scrap until it hits the basket.
Thanks for taking a look! I've got a couple of ideas so am not ready to scrap it just yet!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #203
Die Cut Diva

I have seen so many beautiful cards using brown tones or muted colors , yet when I try to use those colors I am not happy with the results.

I tried again and wasn't even going to put it in the gallery because it looks unfinished or it has no mojo or something doesn't fit right

I think my workmanship is ok and my coloring is not bad but---
Are my color tones wrong or what ?

Here is the card . How can I improve this card
Always & Forever by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #204
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I have seen so many beautiful cards using brown tones or muted colors , yet when I try to use those colors I am not happy with the results.

I tried again and wasn't even going to put it in the gallery because it looks unfinished or it has no mojo or something doesn't fit right

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Firstly it's a beautiful card. I know I try to incorporate at least a little bit of each color I use in the background within the image.

In your card's case I think I would have tried a soft brown shadow around the stamped image.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #205
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Firstly it's a beautiful card. I know I try to incorporate at least a little bit of each color I use in the background within the image.

In your card's case I think I would have tried a soft brown shadow around the stamped image.
Thanks!! I sponged the edges in pink to pickup the colors in the daisies, but now that I look at it the butterflies repeat the pink.

Now the frame, although it is made perfectly, looks unfinished. I tried stamping it with a woodgrain stamp with darker brown but it looked too rustic. Maybe versamark tone on tone woodgrain would work. Any other ideas for the frame?

I am going to re-work this card when the critique is complete.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #206
Stampin' Fool

One of the hardest things for me is deciding to just stop or add something more. My initial thought is to stop here. I could either put some type of embellishment or I could put a sentiment. Should I put anything? and where?

Greta by ppofct - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #207
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post

Thanks
Barbara Jay

Hi Barbara
Its a very pretty card and layout. The only thing that strikes me
(and it could just be a photo issue) is the white background for the image. It looks too bright against the softer tones. Maybe add a hint of sponging to the image
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #208
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
One of the hardest things for me is deciding to just stop or add something more. My initial thought is to stop here. I could either put some type of embellishment or I could put a sentiment. Should I put anything? and where?

Greta by ppofct - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I just found the perfect sticker with the word "confident" that I added to the card...

Last edited by ppofct; 05-13-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #209
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hi Barbara
Its a very pretty card and layout. The only thing that strikes me
(and it could just be a photo issue) is the white background for the image. It looks too bright against the softer tones. Maybe add a hint of sponging to the image
I did sponge the edges with a very soft pink, but I also wondered if I should have used ivory instead of white and another person suggested I sponge with a light brown instead of pink. Both good suggestions.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #210
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I just found the perfect sticker with the word "confident" that I added to the card...
Confidant describes her perfectly. Are you going to share the "new and improved" card with us?

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #211
Stampin' Fool

Default I hope I linked it ok

Greta revisited by ppofct - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

The sticker is very close to the "yellow" in the DP. should i tone it down a little.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #212
Die Cut Diva

Yes I am going to re-work this card and I will post it.
I am just waiting so see if any other people have any suggestions. I am still wondering if my background paper is the correct shade of brown.
I am going to keep the layout, because I like it and just re-work the colors a bit.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #213
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The sticker is very close to the "yellow" in the DP. should i tone it down a little.
I think it looks perfect!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #214
Mad Swapper

Quote:

My suggestion would be to use distress inks if you have them - I would use a combination of muted tones of colours in your card (i.e. bundled sage, victorian velvet maybe, walnut stain to finish). I use the inks alot and just keep adding 'til I like what I get. You could almost cover the whole sticker, leaving the text visible. just my thoughts . . .

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #215
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

does anyone have any thoughts on this one???

(had a rough week at work, so it's kinda killing my creative thinking... )
Attached Thumbnails
scan0006.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #216
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
does anyone have any thoughts on this one???

(had a rough week at work, so it's kinda killing my creative thinking... )
For me your cards seems a bit dark. Might I suggest that you put a white layer on top of your card base? I would leave everything else just the way it is- it's such a great card! With a white layer on your card base you would be able to stamp a sentiment in the upper right corner too (if you wanted).

I don't know what anyone else would suggest. I tend to use a lot of white on my cards so maybe I'm no help here. You could even just put a white layer along the bottom half of your card- under your ribbon- just a thought.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #217
Die Cut Diva

I agree the background is too dark. If you used a white "embossed" background and then put the ribbon part over that it would look great. Leave the framed square as is too
Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #218
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflake View Post
wouldn't that be fun?? Show your cards that you have made in the first 6 month of stamping. Fortunately I did not take any pictures of those cards.....darn the bad luck....lol
LOL. That is easy enough for me, I have only been at it since about February. I pretty much all the cards in my gallery could be on this thread .

I won't bog it down with any links right now, but any comments are welcome if anyone wanted to take a peak in my gallery.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #219
Glitter Queen

A Little Birdie Told Me

Ok, i've done my first stamping card. i did it with watercolor pencils, cocoa brown archival brown ink pad, i'm not sure who made the stamp and spica pens. i can see the couple of smears i made with the spica. can they be taken off somehow? i also see an edge of the paper where i worried the edging getting rid of some excess tape runner.
Help. I was trying for a CAS.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2055.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #220
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRohlfs View Post
Ok, i've done my first stamping card. i did it with watercolor pencils, cocoa brown archival brown ink pad, i'm not sure who made the stamp and spica pens. i can see the couple of smears i made with the spica. can they be taken off somehow? i also see an edge of the paper where i worried the edging getting rid of some excess tape runner.
I don't see any smears in your photo- you did a lovely job coloring your card!

Is the edge of the paper you are talking about on the upper right hand side? If it is then maybe you can just cut off a portion of that layer using your paper trimmer (without cutting your image of course). It looks like you have enough room around your image to trim it down a bit and that will take care of your boo boo. You could even trim along the top of your image layer if you had to. HTH
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #221
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRohlfs View Post
Your card is great and I don't see any smudges. You could always ink the edges of your image layer or "ruff up" all the edges. Or you could try matting the image layer. Whatever you do, your card is very pretty.
In case you want info on the butterfly stamp it is Inkadinkado. I love that stamp.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #222
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldolphins View Post
Hi everyone:

This is a great thread and I like that everyone is so respectful in presenting their thoughts!

I'm looking for some help please! I made this card last night and was very happy with it - liked the colours and although it was simple, I liked how it turned out. THEN, in my infinite wisdom, I put distress ink around the edges of the main card to add just a bit of colour. I didn't realize the ink did not dry, got it on my fingers or something else, and proceeded to transfer that to the card in two areas. I added the 2 leaves (which I don't like on this card) and the tiny silver star in the upper right (this is an attempt to cover one spot, the other dime-sized spot is under the larger leaf where the thicker end of the larger point starts. I added the leaf on the bottom to try and balance but I don't like either of these!

Any suggestions? My intention is to try and get the leaves off and go from there, otherwise I'll have to scrap it - I've wasted too much time on it now but have never made a card I've had to scrap!
Did you have any luck getting the leaves off? I didn't know about this when you first posted this, but I got a bottle of Un-du the other day. That stuff is incredible! I had a card I made last year that I really liked, but since I didn't have a sentiment stamp for the inside I printed it on the computer, cut it out and adhered it inside. It looked really tacky. The un-du lifted it right off and left no trace, and I stamped the sentiment. I'm really happy with the card now.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #223
Die Cut Diva

Your card is great. If all else fails could you stamp and color another bird and put it on the lower right corner as if it is waiting it's turn at the feeder? . Leave the maple leaf in the upper left corner .
Old 05-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #224
Mad Swapper

DianneB1030 and Barbara Jay: Thanks for your follow-up re my card. Got the leaves off and when I took the lower one off, I tore a tiny pc of the white cs and messed up the silver border. Can reapply the border then the idea of the bird in the lower corner MIGHT work. The leaf in the upper corner is off but it too took a bit of the cs with it and of course, the original ink damage still exists! Ugh! Had a deadline to meet with some other cards so I put it aside! Not sure if I can fix it at this point but I'm stubborn )

Thanks for the tip re the Un-do. Will definitely have to look into that because I may not have caused the damage I did if I had it (will have to see the directions!)

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Maybe over the long weekend I'll tackle it again!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #225
Pearl-ExPert

It's a cute card. I think there is too much white space. I would put a ribbon on the left hand side and a sentiment at the bottom.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #226
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1958 View Post
It's a cute card. I think there is too much white space. I would put a ribbon on the left hand side and a sentiment at the bottom.
which card are you referring to?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #227
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

Hi ladies,

I am working on a card for my friend's husband. He is getting his Master's this weekend.

I am looking for some input on my card. Do you guys think I should throw another layer of white on top pf the red? it might make the sentiment pop a little more....

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #228
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Hi ladies,

I am working on a card for my friend's husband. He is getting his Master's this weekend.

I am looking for some input on my card. Do you guys think I should throw another layer of white on top pf the red? it might make the sentiment pop a little more....

TIA.
I think if you put the white just under the sentiment it would look really cool. Very Nice BTY.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #229
Polyshrink Goddess

This is such a cool thread, I love the constructive input........I'll add a card or 2 if you don't mind for some advice. I don't feel comfortable offering advice until I post my cards..........thanks

delft tile by greengem32 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

autumn double pocket by greengem32 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I love the double pocket cards but, I can't do them even with the tutorial for the life of me and as you can see from this card that took me 2 hours to do 6 that I was stumped and kept adding.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #230
Mad Swapper

Kelley, I can only comment on the delft tile one as the other is pending approval. I'm not familiar with this technique but I think the tiles look great. My suggestions would be to distress the edges of the main image, similar to how you did the tiles, but maybe in a darker shade of green that matches. Also, I might have stamped the sentiment directly on the green as I find there's just a bit too much white for me. You could cut around the sentiment with decorative scissors too and place on an angle just to add interest. The green you used is a very pretty colour. Just my 2 cents worth . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengem32 View Post
This is such a cool thread, I love the constructive input........I'll add a card or 2 if you don't mind for some advice. I don't feel comfortable offering advice until I post my cards..........thanks

delft tile by greengem32 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

autumn double pocket by greengem32 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I love the double pocket cards but, I can't do them even with the tutorial for the life of me and as you can see from this card that took me 2 hours to do 6 that I was stumped and kept adding.

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #231
Insane Embellisher

I think your card is just fine! Sometimes we get so wrapped up in designing that we don't realize less is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarocks View Post
smile by mommarocks - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

i couldnt figure out how to do the nice little link thingie, lol...so please forgive me. above is a link to a card that i was trying to stay simple, but i think it's too plain. i'm not even sure i could get this same dp or not.....i did like the idea of the bright colors and was trying to come up with something "simple" enough so my dd could "copy" mommy's card(she loves to do cards with me....).....

any ideas or suggestions on this one?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #232
Cardstock Collector

I am not sure I quite pulled this card off correctly. I was trying to make a stamped collage background and distressed card. I stamped different papers and layered them but should I be stamping all the images on one piece of paper?
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=312553
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #233
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

My understanding of collage is that the traditional meaning was different elements placed together, as you have done - see the definition on Wikipedia here: Collage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. And this tutorial in Resources has several different elements: Splitcoaststampers - Collage Stamping Technique Tutorial by Shelly Kuck

Stamped collage tends to be just one layer - there's a tutorial in Resources here: Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials and there were also some general guidelines when it was a WT challenge recently: WT331 - Crazy Collage 7-14-11.
So it's not a case of there being a right and wrong way to create the collage look. If you like it, it's right .
The only thing I'd do is sponge the lace a bit because the bright white is a very stark contrast to the rest of your colours - but that's just my take on it. If you're aiming for a distressed card, I certainly would.
And again, if you're going for the distressed look, you could consider physically distressing the edges a bit as well as just inking them. I usually just use my fingernails to rough the edges up a bit, as on this card here: DTGD11 Time to Celebrate by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #234
Cardstock Collector

Cook22,
Thank you for the great feedback! It is really helpful!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #235
Glitter Queen

Location: Queensland, Australia (Beautiful one day, Perfect the Next)

Hi Everyone,
I am have only been a member here for a few days and I must say how impressed I am! I am really enjoying looking at all the forums and resources and sharing craft. I am pretty new at cardmaking and tried this card a few days ago. It is really lacking something and I think you of you will be able to help me

Here it is...... (don't laugh) Thinking of You by Krafty Kapaid - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I look forward to your replies!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #236
Matboard Maniac

Kylie, here are different ways I would finish off your card.
1- if I had some butterflies of some flowers left, I would try putting some on the blue pannel which looks really empty...

2- put some vertical stripes of the green paper .

3- a mix of the 1st and 2nd proposition

4- put the same ribbon as on the upper part of the card with the same flowers and add a little bit of colour on the sentiment pannel

I will stop there because I can see lots and lots of other possibilities, depending on what you've got as embellishments. I'm sure others will come and give you some more ideas.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #237
Glitter Queen

Location: Queensland, Australia (Beautiful one day, Perfect the Next)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabig1 View Post
Kylie, here are different ways I would finish off your card.
1- if I had some butterflies of some flowers left, I would try putting some on the blue pannel which looks really empty...

2- put some vertical stripes of the green paper .

3- a mix of the 1st and 2nd proposition

4- put the same ribbon as on the upper part of the card with the same flowers and add a little bit of colour on the sentiment pannel

I will stop there because I can see lots and lots of other possibilities, depending on what you've got as embellishments. I'm sure others will come and give you some more ideas.
Thank you so much! The card was definately unfinished due to my lack of inspiration. This was also the first time I had tried this card layout and that front panel just had me stumped!!
I will definately give your suggestions a go tomorrow (it's night here and I have a bout of hayfever to contend with ). Again, thank you so much!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #238
Insane Embellisher

Default Help!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...00&ppuser=5050
I would really love to do 'shabby chic', with bits of ribbon and lace and layered embellishments and images, but I just can't get it! What would you do with this card to get 'the look' I'm searching for? Thank you for your help, in anticipation ...
Happy Fan Club member.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #239
Cardstock Collector

Crafty mom: how about a green ribbon?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #240
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

I think stitching (not straight lines, but two lines like on the pear card here help add to a shabby look. Distressing the edges of the newsprint panel would also add some shabby. And either some wire ruffled lace under the ribbon, or creamy binding gathered up a bit with the unruffled edge under the ribbon.
Mind you, it's not a style that comes easily to me either , so those are just my suggestions as to what I personally would do if I wanted the shabby look.