Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #41
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliJo View Post
What a GREAT Idea this is and Thank you!

The card is lovely with the pink gingham papers and brads, I am thinking maybe Pink brads instead of the bold dark ones and a bit of ribbon in gingham? A skinny-ish sentiment or on a punched shape (like mentioned above) would be the cherry on the top! It IS a great card though...

OK, now off to find a card (have several) to post for some help!

Thanks SO much for this thread!!!!!

OK, here is a stamp I would love to use again... sorry about the lighting! LOL

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=124694
i have the perfect ribbon that would make this already awesome card be even more awesome!!!

where did you get the metallic dp?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to shellpole

I am purposely NOT reading the responses!

Ok....I would look at the following:

1. Instead of attaching the buttons in all four corners, would you consider something like - three buttons under each other in the top left corner and three on top of each other in the bottom right corner....or a variation of that... or - making a frame of buttons....one in the corner and one either side of that in the top left and also the bottom right.

2. The main image card (white) seems quite stark. That is a die cut, isn't it? Why not put the die back in place and sponge around the edges of the die in order to give your image a more distinct frame.

3.The placement of the wagon is a little too high....it would immediately look better if it was closer to the bottom of the die cut. Also, if you were to give some more colour to under the wagon, it would "ground" the wagon.

4. Once the wagon has been brought down, perhaps add some light sky/moon/flying creature/branch off to one side.....something to take the big heap of space you are going to end up with there.

5. I would layer the die cut.

I hope this is what you were looking for and that I have expressed it well....I do GET you totally in sometimes missing it.....even after all the time I have been at this game!

Cheers...and I would love to see what you come up with once you delve through all the responses...This is a great thread and hope others have a peek too!

Michelle

In my opinion, the buttons look way too stark by themselves there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullyhis View Post
Well, I thought it might be a good time to start a constructive criticism thread!!! I know that sometimes I, personally, have cards that I look at and think, "Hmm - something's missing" but I can never quite figure out what that 'something' might happen to be!!! (And I don't think I'm the only one that this happens to ) So here is your chance to post a link to one of your cards that needs 'help' and we'll give it some feedback!!

There aren't really any 'rules', but please please PLEASE keep in mind that this is constructive criticism (keyword: constructive!!) Be positive in your replies, and try to give a suggestion as to how the card could be improved (e.g. 'this card could use some brads in the lower corner')

I guess I'll start with a card that I have never liked I just don't know what's wrong with it!! It is probably the ugliest card in my gallery (correction: it IS the ugliest card in my gallery!!) but I don't know how to improve it!!! Thoughts?? Gingham Wagon

Anyway have fun, and enjoy the constructive criticism fellow SCS'ers have to offer on your magnificent creations!!!

~Rebekah
<3 <3 <3
Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosive69 View Post
Ok my turn...i need to finish this by Tuesday! I have addede 2 chipboard photo corners on either end...something else seems to be missing though...maybe strings??? lol

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=70314
I like the card. How about wrapping some wire to look like guitar strings so the black is softened a bit or perhaps drawing in the strings with a black gel pen?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #44
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarocks View Post
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=144011

i couldnt figure out how to do the nice little link thingie, lol...so please forgive me. above is a link to a card that i was trying to stay simple, but i think it's too plain. i'm not even sure i could get this same dp or not.....i did like the idea of the bright colors and was trying to come up with something "simple" enough so my dd could "copy" mommy's card(she loves to do cards with me....).....

any ideas or suggestions on this one?
Cute but I'm not to crazy about the green and orange color combo. Maybe change the green to a blue?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #45
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, here is mine.

I've been working on this Thomas Kincade image for awhile just to get the coloring done and I want to use for a swap with my stamp club this Saturday. What can I do to get it the WOW factor or should I do anything at all? Help is greatly appreciated. BTW the photo makes the dark green border look brighter than it is - it's actually a dark mossy green.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #46
Crimping Master

I hate all my brown/purple Thanksgiving cards... here is just one example:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=221003
Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #47
Crimping Master

Without reading what others have said:

Rebekah - Great stamping, love the colours. I think I would add a sentiment and/or some sponging. There is too much white for me. Overall a very pretty card though.

KelliJo - Beautiful... maybe a small sentiment on the front?

craftymom - Love this card. I would like your bottom die cut layer more in a darker pink. I like the ribbon, myself... I would just do it on the top and bottom

Sewflake - I love the mix of papers and the masculine/ vintage feel. Re: what I would change, I can't articulate what I want to say... it feels a bit 'cluttered' where you have the tie and the 2 bits of text.

I would move the Happy birthday to the corner, centre the tie and put tie one on inside or something. I am not sure.

Maybe centre the image, and put both Happy birthday and 'Tie One On' inside the card.

Linda - What a cheery card! I would like the pink piece to either be bigger, so hardly any of the base is showing, or smaller, so it only frames the cones.

Janet - Very cool... my niece would love it. I think the guitar needs to be pop dotted

Mommarocks - Another lovely card; I just find that the dark green is not quite the right colour. I think I would also do a very thin mat around the sentiment. If you change the dark green to a lighter green or a light blue, then you can mat the sentiment with a thin darker blue mat.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #48
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

i couldnt figure out how to do the nice little link thingie, lol...
Here's how to do the "nice little link thingie", lol...

I just learned how to do this myself a couple of nights ago. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #49
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

you guys are sooooo awesome!

I am too critical of my work to ask any critiquing!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post
And one more for you to critique. I love this paper by Basic Grey, but feel I did it an injustice on this card!
Someone posted that both cards I requested critiqueing (sp?) were coming up the same card, so lets try this one again.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #51
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Ok, here is mine.

I've been working on this Thomas Kincade image for awhile just to get the coloring done and I want to use for a swap with my stamp club this Saturday. What can I do to get it the WOW factor or should I do anything at all? Help is greatly appreciated. BTW the photo makes the dark green border look brighter than it is - it's actually a dark mossy green.
I haven't read any of the other comments so if this is a duplicate I appologize. I think the card is beautiful. You're coloring is spot on. If you want to add a little texture to it maybe you could use some "Flower Soft". But I really like the card as is.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #52
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Ok, here is one to me that just didn't seem to be done right, any ideas ladies??
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=170439
I love this card! Maybe as the others suggested to change the ribbon or no ribbon at all, but I think it's great!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Ok, here's one of mine that I wasn't too happy with. Any suggestions?
I love this card, I think it's really cute!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyfan View Post
I hate all my brown/purple Thanksgiving cards... here is just one example:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=221003
Maybe try using a different color background instead of the purple. Maybe pumpkin pie and you could layer the smaller images using the green. I don't know, it just seems a bit too dark for me- although I tend to use a lot of white in my cards.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Someone posted that both cards I requested critiqueing (sp?) were coming up the same card, so lets try this one again.
Your link isn't working for me.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #56
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneeke1 View Post
I haven't read any of the other comments so if this is a duplicate I appologize. I think the card is beautiful. You're coloring is spot on. If you want to add a little texture to it maybe you could use some "Flower Soft". But I really like the card as is.

Here is an updated version - I added flower soft in the trees and lower left flowers - what do you think?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #57

Okay ladies I have a card for you

Now I am making this card for a customer- (my first time that I'm filling an order, so to speak). Anyway, after coming up with several cards this is the one that she's setteled on and I'm still not happy with it. I'm planning on sending her this one and another one as a sample before I make the rest of them. This is for her wedding thank you cards and she wanted me to use these colors, this emobssing folder, and she really likes the stamping.

The only thing that I'm not too sure about it the layout. She likes the scalloped circle, but I guess it's the ribbon that's bothering me. I have to use the white ribbon because I don't have any yellow that matches nicely enough and I think a black ribbon wouldn't work. So the white ribbon needs to be tied over top of my so saffron card stock.

It might be hard to seen in my picture, but the image is stamped twice, once in so saffron and once in black.

So, what do you all think about the layout and how could it be changed?

Last edited by LaLatty; 09-21-2010 at 06:05 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Here is an updated version - I added flower soft in the trees and lower left flowers - what do you think?
Oh my goodness....what a difference! I love it!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #59
Gabfest Goddess

LaLatty - I like your layout just the way it is, not to fussy, clean and beautiful.

Glad you like the flowersoft, thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #60
Insane Embellisher

LaLatty - I wouldn't change a THING about your card!!!! I think it is stunning, just the way it is!!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #61
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default LaLatty

I think you may be right about the ribbon. It competes w/ the dark horizontal band. If you want to keep both, I'd try making the dark band wider, moving it down a little and placing the ribbon on top of it. Or, keep the band and ribbon where they are and move the scallop circle down to where it just touches the ribbon and the band is behind the circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post

Now I am making this card for a customer- (my first time that I'm filling an order, so to speak). Anyway, after coming up with several cards this is the one that she's setteled on and I'm still not happy with it. I'm planning on sending her this one and another one as a sample before I make the rest of them. This is for her wedding thank you cards and she wanted me to use these colors, this emobssing folder, and she really likes the stamping.

The only thing that I'm not too sure about it the layout. She likes the scalloped circle, but I guess it's the ribbon that's bothering me. I have to use the white ribbon because I don't have any yellow that matches nicely enough and I think a black ribbon wouldn't work. So the white ribbon needs to be tied over top of my so saffron card stock.

It might be hard to seen in my picture, but the image is stamped twice, once in so saffron and once in black.

-my blog
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni & Featured Stamper Hostess
I design for:
DRS Designs
Our Daily Bread designs
Serendipity Stamps
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwritedesigns View Post
I think you may be right about the ribbon. It competes w/ the dark horizontal band. If you want to keep both, I'd try making the dark band wider, moving it down a little and placing the ribbon on top of it. Or, keep the band and ribbon where they are and move the scallop circle down to where it just touches the ribbon and the band is behind the circle.
Oh.....I think you are right! I'm going to try and make the black strip of cardstock a bit wider and move it down a bit. Great idea, thanks for your help. Now why didn't I think of that?

I can't work on fixing it right now, but once I make another card I'll post it here.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #63

Default mommarocks

I see what you mean. The colors are great and I love the striped dp. I run into this problem a lot when I'm doing cards. My "go to" helpers are usually adding some edging (like a black marker around the edge or sponging or both) and varying the size of the mats.

If I were working on your card, I would change out the green mat for a larger blue one (the color of your layer behind the stripes). Then make the orange mat larger so that only about an eight of an inch of the blue shows. Then I would add the edging. A little black edge and a little sponging would really make it pop. I'll give you an example of one I did yesterday because the layout is almost identical to yours. (This is just to illustrate what I mean, don't feel you have to comment, lol. I'll also attach it so you don't have to go to the link.)

I hope this helps and this is just what I would do. It's your card, so you're the boss!

Quote:

i couldnt figure out how to do the nice little link thingie, lol...so please forgive me. above is a link to a card that i was trying to stay simple, but i think it's too plain. i'm not even sure i could get this same dp or not.....i did like the idea of the bright colors and was trying to come up with something "simple" enough so my dd could "copy" mommy's card(she loves to do cards with me....).....

any ideas or suggestions on this one?
Attached Thumbnails
kindest-word-4323.jpg  
-my blog
I design for:
DRS Designs
Our Daily Bread designs
Serendipity Stamps
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #64
Crimping Master

Quote:
Maybe try using a different color background instead of the purple. Maybe pumpkin pie and you could layer the smaller images using the green. I don't know, it just seems a bit too dark for me- although I tend to use a lot of white in my cards
I think you are right.

No matter what I do to them the purple isn't gonna be right for the card. I will take them apart and reuse the purple Cuttlebugged parts for other cards.

I used the purple/brown combo due to a challenge, and I never was happy with that stamp set as the one to use with it, but I couldn't think of anything else.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #65
Crimping Master

Love the addition of the flower soft!

LaLatty I agree with Julie re: your card.

Julie I love the card you have attached to your post.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to FallnPetal Send a message via Yahoo to FallnPetal

Quote:
Well, I thought it might be a good time to start a constructive criticism thread!!! I know that sometimes I, personally, have cards that I look at and think, "Hmm - something's missing" but I can never quite figure out what that 'something' might happen to be!!! (And I don't think I'm the only one that this happens to ) So here is your chance to post a link to one of your cards that needs 'help' and we'll give it some feedback!!

There aren't really any 'rules', but please please PLEASE keep in mind that this is constructive criticism (keyword: constructive!!) Be positive in your replies, and try to give a suggestion as to how the card could be improved (e.g. 'this card could use some brads in the lower corner')

I guess I'll start with a card that I have never liked I just don't know what's wrong with it!! It is probably the ugliest card in my gallery (correction: it IS the ugliest card in my gallery!!) but I don't know how to improve it!!! Thoughts?? Gingham Wagon

Anyway have fun, and enjoy the constructive criticism fellow SCS'ers have to offer on your magnificent creations!!!

~Rebekah
<3 <3 <3
I think this card has the potential to be awesome, the inking is so cute and the corresponding gingham is right on....but as everyone said, too much white space? What about stitching around the top note cut out to give the frame some dimension then using some flower soft in brown, adding to the "ground/grass" to give it depth and dimension on the actual stamped area?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #67
Insane Embellisher

I finally got a chance to re-do my card, but I'm waiting for my upload to be approved I'll post the link as soon as I can - I love the way it turned out!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I think you are right.

No matter what I do to them the purple isn't gonna be right for the card. I will take them apart and reuse the purple Cuttlebugged parts for other cards.

I used the purple/brown combo due to a challenge, and I never was happy with that stamp set as the one to use with it, but I couldn't think of anything else.
Is the brown the layer under the images/greeting? its reading dark green on my monitor.

I think if you cut that down to just larger than the three images, separating the greeting from the images and do that again and just have a border around the greeting and maybe ad a white layer to echo the background of your colored images.

I don't mind the purple/brown/ and orange color combo but often you need to repeat a background color in an image etc to get a "different" color combo to work more harmoniously.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #69
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliJo View Post
What a GREAT Idea this is and Thank you!

The card is lovely with the pink gingham papers and brads, I am thinking maybe Pink brads instead of the bold dark ones and a bit of ribbon in gingham? A skinny-ish sentiment or on a punched shape (like mentioned above) would be the cherry on the top! It IS a great card though...

OK, now off to find a card (have several) to post for some help!

Thanks SO much for this thread!!!!!

OK, here is a stamp I would love to use again... sorry about the lighting! LOL

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=124694

Love what you did with the stamp; what about a ribbon running horizontal across the middle of card and under the stamped image and tying to the right of the image??

Love what you did with the stamp. What about a ribbon r
Old 02-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #70
Matboard Maniac

Hi Sewflake,

The first thing that struck me was the blue; I would change that. The other thing is the Happy Birthday is a beautiful scripted font and the other font is casual. Maybe if you don't have a HB stamp that is more casual, move the HB to the inside.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #71
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosive69 View Post
Ok my turn...i need to finish this by Tuesday! I have addede 2 chipboard photo corners on either end...something else seems to be missing though...maybe strings??? lol

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=70314
Cute card! What about putting the message; i.e. happy birthday or whatever in center of the guitar itself. It looks like you migh have stickles in the middle of each star, I can't tell, but if not, that would be cute also.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #72
Insane Embellisher

Ok, my upload was approved!! Here is my revised card - let me know what you think about it!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #73
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Ok, here is mine.

I would change the green borders and bring out the more vibrant colors of the card into the borders like the turquoise
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #74
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post

I like card the way it is; very cute.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Ok, my upload was approved!! Here is my revised card - let me know what you think about it!!!
Oh, WOW! That's just perfect! I really love your card now and your ribbon with the charm is great! Thanks for showing us your remade card.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #76

Quote:
That made a huge difference! It looks terrific!
-my blog
I design for:
DRS Designs
Our Daily Bread designs
Serendipity Stamps
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #77
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
That is wonderful!! You did a great job of re-working your card!!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #78
Glitter Guru

Quote:
This really made a big difference. Love the way your reworked card turned out. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #79
Crimping Master

Quote:
Here's how to do the "nice little link thingie", lol...

I just learned how to do this myself a couple of nights ago. Good luck!
i tried to open the link, but it wouldnt let me open it...so i'm gonna try laters
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #80
Crimping Master

Quote:
Without reading what others have said:

Rebekah - Great stamping, love the colours. I think I would add a sentiment and/or some sponging. There is too much white for me. Overall a very pretty card though.

KelliJo - Beautiful... maybe a small sentiment on the front?

craftymom - Love this card. I would like your bottom die cut layer more in a darker pink. I like the ribbon, myself... I would just do it on the top and bottom

Sewflake - I love the mix of papers and the masculine/ vintage feel. Re: what I would change, I can't articulate what I want to say... it feels a bit 'cluttered' where you have the tie and the 2 bits of text.

I would move the Happy birthday to the corner, centre the tie and put tie one on inside or something. I am not sure.

Maybe centre the image, and put both Happy birthday and 'Tie One On' inside the card.

Linda - What a cheery card! I would like the pink piece to either be bigger, so hardly any of the base is showing, or smaller, so it only frames the cones.

Janet - Very cool... my niece would love it. I think the guitar needs to be pop dotted

Mommarocks - Another lovely card; I just find that the dark green is not quite the right colour. I think I would also do a very thin mat around the sentiment. If you change the dark green to a lighter green or a light blue, then you can mat the sentiment with a thin darker blue mat.
i will have to play with your suggestions for sure!! thanks