Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Coloring with Markers!

I have noticed lately that alot of people are just coloring with their copic markers. I don't have those but I do finally have most of the SU ones.

My questions... do you just use them directly on the paper or do you use them with an aquapainter??

Should markers be used with any special paper?

Silly question I know but I have had this on my mind for awhile and just had to ask.

Tks for your help

Have a great day :-)
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I like to scribble with the marker onto a CD or Acrylic mount and then dip my blender pen into that to get color. It is much easier to control your coloring that way.

As for cardstock - I love the TAC Ultrasmooth white and Ivory cardstock it is the best for coloring on because it is a coated paper and lets the color sit on top to be blended instead of sinking in immediately and then not being able to be blended. We also have a premium paper that is even thicker and alows for alot more blendable time - if you take a while to get it right! Regular white cardstock like from an office supply or walmart will not yield very good resluts when trying to blend with much of anything because it is not coated and is too pourous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great things to do with SU markers:

1. Color the image directly- for a great tutorail, click here for Julie's awesome demo. http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr.html

2. Scribble marker on the plastic box your stamps came in and then pick up the color with a paint brush or aquapainter to water color.

3. Color directly on the rubber stamps and then huff- our breathe moist warm air on it to remoisten the ink and stamp it. Great for stamping in more than one color at once.

4. Thump- Ink up your stamp with a lighter color ink and then take SU markers and tap them all over the stamp with different colors. Then the huff and stamp. This gives you a multicolored look. Very pretty for fall foliage and tree stamps.

5. Outline- Ink your stamp and then run an SU marker around the perimeter of the stamp to outline it. (Huff and stamp)

6. Put your SU marker in an air tool and squeeze the tool. This will produce a speckled effect on your card stock. (Can't think of the name of this tool and I have two. LOL)

Just a few ideas. I love my SU markers!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

You can also use your SU markers to get the Copic blended look.

Check out this thread: No Copics?? NO PROBLEM

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I used su markers to color directly onto my paper like you would with copics. Julie post 'no copics, no problem' - she used watercolor paper but I find you can get the same effect with su naturals white or naturals ivory. The current Hanna card on my blog used su markers directly on to the paper and I didn't use a blender pen.

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I want to thank you all for your help with this. I have had the markers for awhile now and was never pleased with how they worked out for me. I think now I can try to use them again.
The links that you all gave me really helped out also.

Again tks so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen, I totally agree with the ideas about paper...it makes ALL the difference, truly. I used to get so frustrated when I first started stamping, because back then (like 10 years ago), SU's catalog samples were mostly ALL watercolored. They looked just GORGEOUS, but I could never get my stuff to look even remotely like them.

Then I found watercolor paper, lol, and the difference was amazing! Using it will allow you to see what the inks (markers) can do. Once you get the hang of it with that, you'll be able to color on other papers just as easily. As long as you get a paper that will allow the ink to be pushed around easily, you'll be fine. But start with watercolor paper; you'll see a big difference.

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing you can do is play, play, play. Look at Julie's tutorial...it's a great visual! Sometimes we just need to see someone doing it before it really clicks, kwim? She does a great job of showing the steps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karen,
Don't forget to look in the gallery. Seeing what others has done aways inspires.
In her tutorial Julie asks us to put NCNP in the key words - for No Copics No Problem- on any we have done with the SU markers. I'm sure you'll find many samples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgladneyView Post
I have noticed lately that alot of people are just coloring with their copic markers. I don't have those but I do finally have most of the SU ones.

My questions... do you just use them directly on the paper or do you use them with an aquapainter??

Should markers be used with any special paper?

Silly question I know but I have had this on my mind for awhile and just had to ask.

Tks for your help

Have a great day :-)
You've gotten some excellent tips in this thread!

I just wanted to also add that when you use water-based markers and blender pens, etc. that much does depend on the paper you are using!

Most (not all) papers are not designed to withstand or absorb water, so when you color an area repeatedly with a water-based medium, in an attempt to blend, it breaks down/deteriorates the fibers in the paper causing what we refer to as "pilling". Overuse of the Blender Pen designed to work with water-based markers will also cause pilling of paper surfaces.

Of course, watercolor paper is a different beast and IS designed to accept water-based mediums, and so, this doesn't happen with that kind of paper, typically speaking.

There are also a few other papers on the market that can withstand watercoloring, if you keep your brush on the "dry" side, as opposed to really wet. One such paper is Cryogen White, and I've had success with Neenah Classic Crest, too. I know Anna (SweetMissDaisy) is fond of Neenah Cotton White, too and her watercoloring results on that card stock are fabulous!

Usually (not always), with waterbased markers, once a dark color is laid down, it's hard to lighten or pull back the color. Not impossible, just that it can be very hard, depending on the type of paper you are working with.

With Copic markers, you can repeatedly color over the same spot, and it will not pill the paper, due to the high alcohol content of the ink, which evaporates too rapidly to deteriorate the fibers.

You can also pull or lift color by using the Copic blender pen, and it also, will not pill the paper, allowing you to re-work an area as much as you want, until you achieve the desired affect/blending.

If you are creating a single layer card, water-based mediums will enable you to achieve best results because they don't *normally* seep through all the way through the paper, unless you've been heavy handed with the water. It does happen sometimes, tho, even when I think I'm being careful.

Copics will seep through to the other side of the paper; you'll want to mat or layer your Copic colored images, as opposed to using them for single layer cards. Unless, of course, you are using Alcohol Marker Pad Paper, a very thin paper that is specifically designed not to bleed through when used with Copics or other alcohol-based mediums.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I knew that I would be able to find a good answer on here. This site is awesome and your answers to help me out have been so helpful. I went to my local scrapbooking store and bought some good quality paper lunch time to see what I can come up with later.

Tks so much for all your help.

Have a great afternoon :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

This has been a great thread. Thanks for all of the great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes