Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Turkey Spending - 9 month review

Hi all. Back in January, there was a thread about going cold-turkey on craft spending. Some were thinking about no spending at all (except for essentials like adhesives, etc.), others were going to make committments to using up their stash/making do with what they have. I thought it would be interesting to have a third quarter review on how everyone is doing.

For myself, I originally was going to do no spending at all except for the aforementioned essentials. For me, that means adhesive, envelopes, scrapbooks and pages/page protectors, and blades for my tools. However, it didn't quite work out that way.

It didn't take me long to fall off the wagon - one month exactly, where I spent over $100 on cardstock. I also bought some storage solutions for my scrap space which ran about $75. But I picked myself back up, climbed back on that wagon and was really good until August, when I went on a ribbon spree ($30). However, I did make sure that I wasn't spending for the sake of spending - the ribbon was for 3 specific projects that I couldn't find a substitute for, and the cardstock was carefully selected to match with DP that didn't have matching cardstock (or anything that would work with it), so I considered that as close to a necessity. I also sold $54 worth of cards, which helped to offset the cost.

Now, September has rolled around, and I have done something that I swore I wouldn't do - I bought new stamps. But I am okay with this for two reasons:
  1. They are Christmas stamps, and I am bored to death of my Christmas stamps. 95% of the ones I have are at least 5 years old, and I swear if I have to make another set of cards with those same sets, I may lose my mind!
  2. They are faith based Christmas stamps, and since I sell my Christmas cards at my church's annual craft bazaar (I donate all the materials, so they are a charitable expense for me), there are many people who are looking specifically for faith based cards as opposed to the more generic Christmas cards.
So, to date I have spent $568 (Cdn) on crafting supplies, broken down as:
  • Essentials = $248
  • Storage = $75
  • Not quite essential, but almost = $210
  • Just because/fun = $35
This exercise of keeping track of my expenses (and I am doing it for ALL of our expenses - I have this very sophisticated spreadsheet that keeps track of every penny we spend, trends, totals, over/under budget, etc) has really helped to me to think about how/what I am spending on - I am sure that this year's spending on crafting is about 20%, if not less, of what I would have spent in previous years. I spend a lot more time really thinking about my purchases - do I NEED it, do I have anything I can use INSTEAD, will it be used on more than one project. I also have been really good about committing to using up my stash of stuff.

So, how is everyone else doing? Sorry for the long post, but sometimes it is good to see it in print to keep you motivated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

The first half of 2012, I way overspent. I wish I had a big purchase to show for it, but it was all stamps, paper, gadgets, impulse stuff at a scrapbook expo. The 2nd half, so far, has been much more under control. I have used up a lot of older stuff I rarely used in scrapbooks like retired SU! cardstock, transparencies, fibers, etc. It feels good to use it up and I doubt anyone will look at my pages and think ???? about the older materials.
I am motivated to not spend and I haven't been to a craft store in months!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only spending I have been doing is on necessities. I will however be spending a good amount next week at my SU workshop. DD is getting married in the spring so I'm purchasing what I need for invites and the like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been on the wagon since August. I joined the 100 in 100 days challenge. However I don't use the 100 day deadline, instead I am not buying anything (except glue or essentials) until I have completed 100 projects.

I am having a bit of withdrawal and I really need some orange ribbon for Halloween projects. But, I have to say, I am glad I decided to do this. I was turning into a buyer and not a user. Now I am really getting creative and am finding my style.

I have discovered that when I buy patterned paper, I need to buy patterns that match each other. I know others have discovered this, but this is a new concept to me. I get bored always pairing PP with cardstock. And I always see great cards made with 2 or 3 different patterns. When I finally am able to start buying again, I will make this an important part of the decision making process: "what will it match??"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only bought at my stamp club and that is $20-30 a month. I don't buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby because they never seem to have anything new so I stopped going. Besides I think I have too much stuff, if that is possible :( But don't get me started on buying fun Junkin stuff decor,LOL. If it is not one hobby it is another. What will be next?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been sticking to the same plan I use for clothing and shoes because I have limited space. I have a wooden hanger for each piece of clothing in my closet and a shoe rack with space for only so many shoes! If I decide to get a new dress, another dress has to go because I have NO extra wooden hangers. Same plan with shoes and same plan for crafting materials. This doesn't keep me from falling off the wagon occasionally because new SU stuff is constantly calling, but it makes me think about how much I really NEED something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wagon?? What wagon?? Did I miss a wagon?? I don't know if I could ever not spend. I love my hobby and enjoy every aspect of it. The acquiring, the making, the giving, the collecting, the friendships, the sharing of products. And I do admit... it's NOT cheaper than therapy. It's way more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I spent only to meet my minimums for SU, and I have a couple of customers to help me do that, as I am a hobbyist only. I have rubbermaid tubs marked for each season, so I dumped out the fall tub to look through. I found 40 Halloween pencils, spider rings, so I can do class party favors for the grandsons.
Reply With Quote Likes