Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cloud embossing folder

I wanted to emboss just the top section of a card with my new cloud embossing folder, but it is too wide to fit through my Big Shot. Because the card protrudes from the bottom of the embossing folder, I can't turn the folder around, either. Do I need to trim the bottom off or is there anything else I can do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. I ended up just doing the whole piece of paper and layering over the bottom. Or you could just crop off the unwanted part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

If I understand you correctly, I would forget about embossing directly on the card base and emboss a separate piece of cs and layer it on. Or, open your card from top to bottom rather than the side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You can put the whole card into the embossing folder, and then place the top cutting plate only over the part of the folder that you want to emboss.

You could also use no tabs on your multi-purpose platform (or no adapter shim if you don't have the mpp) and then use shims only over the portion that you want embossed.

Essentially, what you want is for the machine to apply pressure ONLY to the part of the card that you want embossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Or you can trim the bottom of the folder off, like you were thinking. I've done that with several of the newer, longer embossing folders. For my SU folders, I just drew a line across the bottom of the SU logo and cut...now they fit perfectly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #6  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Or you can trim the bottom of the folder off, like you were thinking. I've done that with several of the newer, longer embossing folders. For my SU folders, I just drew a line across the bottom of the SU logo and cut...now they fit perfectly!
Brilliant to you and the OP for thinking of a slight trim to make it fit. This never occurred to me and I've had the dilemna :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've been thinking of trimming some of my new SU folder as well. I really don't like that they new ones do not fit through my big shot sideways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The new SU cloud folder doesn't fit sideways through the big shot?! :shock: :shock: What were they thinking when they designed the folder?

I got this ef and discovered that it wouldn't fit sideways through my Cuttlebug and was disgusted. Mainly I was disgusted because I suspected that SU had intentionally designed it to fit in the Big Shot as a way to nudge us non-Big shot believers into making the switch. Guess I gave them too much credit for thinking it through in the design process.

At least I know I'm not the only one puzzling about how to use this ef effectively. So far I've done one partial panel with it. Back to using my other cloud folders by Cuttlebug and Darice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
The new SU cloud folder doesn't fit sideways through the big shot?! :shock: :shock: What were they thinking when they designed the folder?
Nope! I just double checked to be sure so that I'm not telling you wrong and no it does not fit sideways. Stinks too because I often times like to use my embossing folders sideways. None of my new SU embossing folders will fit sideways into my big shot :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
Nope! I just double checked to be sure so that I'm not telling you wrong and no it does not fit sideways. Stinks too because I often times like to use my embossing folders sideways. None of my new SU embossing folders will fit sideways into my big shot :(
None? I got ALL of them.... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #11  

These are the new folders that I have that do not fit in the big shot sideways: honeycomb, cloudy day, chevron, fancy fan, vine street, and argyle. I recently ordered another perfect polka dots embossing folder and that one does fit sideways so that leads me to believe that it's only the newest folders that are the larger ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you make a template of the part you want to emboss from some thin chipboard to block it off. The same process you use to make a frame of unembossed. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

The size of the folders isn't a Stampin' Up! thing, it is a Sizzix thing. They are making the folders the size of the cards in the european market, which I think is 4 5/8 x 6 1/4 Folded. This way, they only have to make the folders in one size rather than two for both markets.

They are larger and only fit in the Big Shot one way. I also cut mine and have had no problems. :p

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep it's the European card sizing fault! I hate the A2 sized folders as our card sizes are different and they would never fit the front of the card right. I am glad SU finally listened to us and made longer folders, now I don't have to chop the bottom of my card off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Can you make a template of the part you want to emboss from some thin chipboard to block it off. The same process you use to make a frame of unembossed. Does that make sense?
No, it's not that I want to block off a portion of the embossing, but that sometimes I like to emboss the top (or lower) portion of my card front along the longer side 5 1/4" or 5 1/2" side and now I'm unable to do that unless I cut the folder down. I have a tutorial here showing what I am talking about. The folder I used in my tutorial works since it's an older (shorter) folder.

LaLatty Stamp 'N Stuff: June 14, 2012
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for everyone responding to my question. My folder is pretty thick. What did you use to trim it so it would fit -- scissors or paper cutter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparcl77View Post
Thanks for everyone responding to my question. My folder is pretty thick. What did you use to trim it so it would fit -- scissors or paper cutter?
You can use either, I used my Stampn' Up! Tabletop Cutter and did one side at a time. It worked really great. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that the orientation on the folder is better the way it is. If you want it to be shorter, you can always emboss the whole sheet, then cut it to size. But what if the orientation was the other way and you wanted to do a landscape card?!?!?!? You wouldn't be able to do it in one piece. KWIM? This way it works for cards going either way. JMO

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
No, it's not that I want to block off a portion of the embossing, but that sometimes I like to emboss the top (or lower) portion of my card front along the longer side 5 1/4" or 5 1/2" side and now I'm unable to do that unless I cut the folder down. I have a tutorial here showing what I am talking about. The folder I used in my tutorial works since it's an older (shorter) folder.
Actually, this could be done by doing as Mel suggested and cutting a piece of chipboard - you put the entire card front in the folder, and put the shim over the part you want embossed and roll it thru the machine. Then you put the card front into the 2nd embossing folder, shim the portion of that folder that you want embossed, and roll it thru again. If you want to emboss directly onto the card, you just need to fold it in half and put the front side into the folder and wrap the back side under the folder. More of a pain than the way your tutorial shows, but still workable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

La Latty, where is the tutorial you were referring to. I went to all of the links, I know its hiding someplace. Is the cloud embossing folder new, I just looked in my big catalog and did not see it?

Lora
Reply With Quote Likes