Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close to my heart or A muse studio?

After reading the new proposed Stampin Up Compensation plan for 2015 (starts in October) I am a little, OK a lot, disheartened.
I have been reading the SU Demo forums and while a lot of them are toting the company line, a lot more are really upset and I am one of them.

So my forum question is this, Which is the better company to go with, Close to My Heart or A Muse Studio?
Or perhaps Fun Stampin Journey? Truthfully, I've never heard of them, but a few other Demos have.

I love the stamps from both of CTMH and A|S, but CTMH's cardstock is not solid core, it is white core and I can buy cheap white core anywhere.

Are there any demos or consultants for those companies here on SCS that could help me out?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are thinking about joining another company because of compensation issues (rather than product issues), then I don't have any advice. I think making money being a demo for a stamp company is possible, but quite tough given all the changes in the industry.

Based on product that I've used.

A Muse Studio

cardstock. It is white on one side and gives a professional appearance when the card is closed. But the cardstock is not as thick as others and the color coating can chip if put in an electronic cutting machine or even with some punches. It does have a stiff feel to it so I think it makes a great card base.

Ink -- same as Fresh Ink and amazing. Love it.

Stamps -- love the designs. LOVE. But they are not clear, they are cling mount. If they were clear I'd be all over them. Personal preference.

I really love this company

CTMH

Cardstock -- not a fan of it, with one exception (die cutting) -- see below
Ink -- not familiar with it but it appears to be traditional dye.

Stamps. They are clear and have an enormous variety of designs, many of which I like. Excellent quality

Electronic die cutting. CTMH has designs that work with Cricut. The Cricut Explore is really a game changer, IMHO, on electronic die cutting. If you have any interest in that aspect of paper crafting, then I would think about selling the product to Cricut Explore users.

good luck with your decision! I suspect that there isn't one company that has the perfect combo of products and compensation plan and you may need to select one that isn't 100% what you want, but close enough
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I am enjoying Fun Stampers Journey!

A variety of Deeply etched rubber stamps. Some stamps have coordinating dies.
Matching cardstock, inks, ribbons. Cardstock is nice weight

The creative cards coming out our fresh, and new. Visit the website, blog, FB page,or Richard Garay's blog

I like that quarterly minimums are $150. I can enjoy my hobby, and not feel pressed to meet.

Karen S

Last edited by karentom; 01-13-2015 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

CTMH seriously caters to scrapbookers and their DSP is wonderful, their card stock is good from scrapping, less so for cards. They have a good selection of stamps and "stuff," not many cool tools, though. Keep in mind that if you jump ship from SU! to another stamp company, you will have to buy all new inks, markers, refills and paper. YIKES!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

What are the proposed changes to the Stampin Up Compensation plan for 2015?
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A|S's paper is white on one side. It's not super thick, but it's stiff so it makes a really nice card base. However, it sometimes has trouble with die cuts and punches (the edges can chip). If you score it too hard, the fold will also crack and the white will show through. Despite this, I love it and use it often. I prefer the Amuse white (sugar) to SU's whisper white for everything. It works nicely as a base, and is actually a brighter, more true white.

My main problem with A|S is that they don't add new product often enough. Just one main catalog a year, with a fall/winter supplement. There is a long gap between the end of the holiday supplement and the new main catalog, which can be a difficult time to make sales. They are changing that this year with small monthly releases.

They are newer and not as smooth as SU. Their main catalog release was delayed by over a month last year (making that gap without new product even longer).

One bonus - they sell copics. Unfortunately, not a full line and only the original markers instead of the sketch markers.

I like that they don't seem to continually retire perfectly good colors. Their neutrals are much better than SU.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

CTMH - Quarterly minimums are $300. Commission is 22% with ability to earn more. They have the Cricut Artfully Sent which is loaded with card projects like pop up cards, interactive cards and Project life type cards. They offer a stamp of the month for $5.00 with a $50.00 purchase and they are really nice stamps. They have nice storage items, new totes, and jewelry. They have Shinhan markers and Their version of Project Life. I am a consultant for them but you can check thier main site and see what all they have to offer.

Thanks so much

Michelle

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

As an A Muse Studio consultant I can tell you I LOVE their stamps and ink, but I must confess :oops: I am an SU cardstock gal!!! Nothing else on the market compares to the SU cardstock. That being said ...

AS is still relatively new and working out the kinks. However starting this month they are offering monthly collections of stamps, paper and embellies that will only be available for ONE month and then gone. January's collection is Love/Valentines. February's collection is (I believe) spring/Easter. That's kind of a cool feature. Their quarterly minimum is $300.00 and your commission is 20%. The starter kit is a good deal.

I will also admit that if I like a stamp/set I will buy it ... I have no preferences. So, I do have a ton of CTMH and LOVE their stamps. However, the majority of them are not my "style". The sets I have a love ... they are clear and great quality.

I chose AS because in my circle of stamping buds we have a CTMH demo and an SU demo. We all basically keep each other in business!!!

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I once sold both SU and AMUSE (not at the same time). I like both cardstock options - depends on what you want to do with them. The white on one side makes it great for cards. Yes, it can look cracked if you don't score it before you fold it - they teach you a trick for this when you sell for them. I also like it when I am sanding texture to get a nice worn look. If I want solid core, I use SU. The stamp sets from all these companies are nice. I haven't had issues with the stamped images looking crisp - that's mostly a problem with the user's technique. Rubber surfaces need a different "touch" than acrylic surfaces. I LOVE the copic markers now that I know how to use them. I didn't really get it until I took several classes from Copic on my own. And AMUSE doesn't sell all the colors - not that they are really necessary once you know how to mix them correctly. The Journey company in Phx looks promising and getting in when the company is new is a whole lot of fun. But any company newer than one like SU will have smaller everything - smaller and fewer catalogs, higher production costs, fewer employees, etc. If that's OK with you, then it's not a deal breaker. Good luck in your decision!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I cannot release any info on the comp decisions according to the Demo site. But I am not looking to make money on SU, I use it more as a hobby demo. BUT while I do care my percentage off of products will be going p 5 more percent, I don't like that I am going to feel pressured to recruit, recruit, recruit!
I am not into that. If a person wants a catalog, I'll give them one. If they want to talk about SU, I'll do that, but to actively be going after people, I won't do that.
I went to an Amway party once and I got calls for WEEKS afterwards about how I needed to join Amway.
I will always be buying SU cardstock then, it seems.
As for the clear stamps...SU is going more and more photopolymer.
A great deal of the new stamps in the Spring Occasions cat for 2015 has them as one of the choices, like, wood mount, clear mount or Photopolymer. All stamps now come in the DVD-esque cases as well.
Thanks for the answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny, how everyone sees things different. I don't feel pressured by the new plan to recruit.

I think it come down to whether you want a more established company or not. I imagine a ne company like amuse or fun journey is going to want and need you to recruit. So based on what you said I would go with close to my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Ink -- not familiar with it but it appears to be traditional dye.
Actually CTMH ink is specially formulated to work with clear stamps, it is dye based ink but it works better on clear stamps (and I've tried it on numerous clear stamp companies) then any other ink I've tried for clear.

I think most of these companies are about the same as far as discount, sales quotas, etc. I'd personally go with which one has designs you like the best.

I have tons of stamps, inks and cardstock from both CTMH and A Muse and love them both, the biggest difference to me is one has clear stamps, the other cling. I do like A Muse cardstock a bit better though (both are white core).

I've tried stamps, dies and pattern papers from Fun Stampers Journey and all are really nice, I think not many people have heard of them so I'm not sure if that's good or bad, people want to try something new but they might also be leery of buying from a place they aren't familiar with.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I just placed a small order from Fun Stampers Journey (matching paper and ink and one stamp set). Yes, I have a problem!!!!

The only thing I noticed about FSJ is that they do not offer cardstock assortment packs :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

You are right, they don't.

www.funstampersjourney.com/julierobinson

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 02-02-2015 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
Actually CTMH ink is specially formulated to work with clear stamps, it is dye based ink but it works better on clear stamps (and I've tried it on numerous clear stamp companies) then any other ink I've tried for clear.

I think most of these companies are about the same as far as discount, sales quotas, etc. I'd personally go with which one has designs you like the best.

I have tons of stamps, inks and cardstock from both CTMH and A Muse and love them both, the biggest difference to me is one has clear stamps, the other cling. I do like A Muse cardstock a bit better though (both are white core).

I've tried stamps, dies and pattern papers from Fun Stampers Journey and all are really nice, I think not many people have heard of them so I'm not sure if that's good or bad, people want to try something new but they might also be leery of buying from a place they aren't familiar with.
You are right......... that can be good or bad (FSJ). What I have found, though, is that people have been hungry for something a little new, and have been excited to check out the new company. One of things I love about their product line, too, is all of their exclusive dies - especially their trifold and pocket dies! The other thing is - since they are new, and growing, the market isn't saturated with demo's yet!

www.funstampersjourney.com/julierobinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Don't get me wrong, I like being a demo, but I joined the company as a hobby demo only. Since then, things has started growing for me, but I do not go nuts over parties, pressing people into taking a catalog or recruiting. If they come to me, fine. However, if they have ever thrown a party before, they will have an idea on how many Hostess Dollars they should be getting and they will notice that the new lay out for the company will not give the hostesses what they are expecting. No more $25 for $150 in sales, now they are going to get a percentage? Whatever.
As for my area, there are 2 CTMH people here, but no A-Muse or FSJ reps around.
I will probably stay the course. But I am going to be purchasing some really could CTMH stamp sets.
Another thing I like about CTMH is you have the choice to buy the svg file right there in the catalog. As a Cameo owner (but I rarely use it), that is kinda interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Well said my friend. I agree many are looking for fun, fresh and something NEW. The fusion ink pads are a new formula, nobody else has. Like you said the dies are fun, esp the pocket dies and also not to mention the piercing dies are too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEY FANView Post
You are right......... that can be good or bad (FSJ). What I have found, though, is that people have been hungry for something a little new, and have been excited to check out the new company. One of things I love about their product line, too, is all of their exclusive dies - especially their trifold and pocket dies! The other thing is - since they are new, and growing, the market isn't saturated with demo's yet!
Reply With Quote Likes