Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Versamark off Stamps??

I am using one of the Big Background stamps to make my Christmas cards this yr. and I am using versamark as I'm embossing. I'm using the Polka Dot BG so I find it is very hard to clean it, especially between the dots as they are raised. Anyone have any suggestions on making the cleaning easier? I have tried using baby wipes as that's the only way I can get between the dots.
Thanks, Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my stampin scrub just like with any other stamp. It is big enough to handle the background stamps without a problem. If it is really stubborn then I use a toothbrush and some stamp cleaner in the sink then just dry it off on the stampin scrub.

good luck!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Default Cleaning Versamark off stamps

Thanks, I will give it a try. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol ShaferView Post
I am using one of the Big Background stamps to make my Christmas cards this yr. and I am using versamark as I'm embossing. I'm using the Polka Dot BG so I find it is very hard to clean it, especially between the dots as they are raised. Anyone have any suggestions on making the cleaning easier? I have tried using baby wipes as that's the only way I can get between the dots.
Thanks, Carol
I've never used Versamark (!), but I've had no problems getting any type of ink off my stamps using KissOff and a cheapo ($5.00) battery toothbrush...

Remove all excess ink from the stamp; dampen the stamp and rub KO over the entire surface; if the stamp is stained or encrusted with dried ink, set aside overnight; dampen the toothbrush and rub it over the KO; turn on the brush and scrub the surface of the stamp with the brush (the battery brush doesn't create those flying splatters a regular brush does); dip the brush into water as necessary; when ink and/or stains are removed, wipe off the stamp with a dampened piece of paper towel; allow to dry before storing. If the stamp is deeply stained, it may be necessary to repeat the process. KO can be left on stamps for a long period (in one test, I left KO on a stamp for six months, and the stamp was fine when the KO was removed.)

KissOff (www.kissoff.com) is in Michaels, and almost every crafts store. It's in a tube...looks like a giant lipstick. If you can't find it, The Master's Brush Cleaner can be substituted (same product in a different package). DO NOT substitute with The Master's Hand Cleaner...great for hands, but it contains softeners that are not great for stamps. My dollar store battery brush has lasted and lasted...

BTW: I've used KO to clean my stamps for over 15 years...not a stained nor sticky one in the lot. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cleaning Versamark off Stamps

I have found that the Staz-on cleaner works very well with the versamark and yes, sometimes if I let it get to thick, I have to use a toothbrush. I always use my Stampin' Mist afterwards to condition the rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
I've never used Versamark (!)
Gasp!!! I can't stamp without versa mark!! It's the most "versa-tile" product evah! (;)wink wink.. probably why it's named that...)

Anyway, back to the question...I use the stampin scrub and a cleaner called Ultra Clean or SU's Stampin mist and that takes it off really well. The stampin scrub is one of those tools that really does make a difference in your stamping. I resisted getting it for a long time but once you use it you won't believe you went without it.

As for the versamark... many people leave it on their rubber to "condition it". I leave it on mine bc, well, I'm just too lazy to clean it! It has no ill effect and I can add ink right over top, in fact it makes it easier to ink up a bg with "old" versamark on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Gasp!!! I can't stamp without versa mark!! It's the most "versa-tile" product evah! (;)wink wink.. probably why it's named that...)

Anyway, back to the question...I use the stampin scrub and a cleaner called Ultra Clean or SU's Stampin mist and that takes it off really well. The stampin scrub is one of those tools that really does make a difference in your stamping. I resisted getting it for a long time but once you use it you won't believe you went without it.

As for the versamark... many people leave it on their rubber to "condition it". I leave it on mine bc, well, I'm just too lazy to clean it! It has no ill effect and I can add ink right over top, in fact it makes it easier to ink up a bg with "old" versamark on it.
I totally agree! Especially on the BG stamps, it helps the other inks stick. I do clean it off my stamps sometimes just out of habit, but no big if I don't!
Stamp Review Crew member and creator Stamp set themed blog hops twice a month. Go check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have found that if I stamp with Versa Mark using a stained stamp, that after awhile the stain from black ink fades some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I am shocked at how many people use a toothbrush on their rubber stamps. I use a very soft facial brush on detailed stamps. On solid designs I rub really hard with a washcloth.

BTW... On another thread I recently learned about a product that cleans off OLD STAINS. Found it in the grocery store yesterday. Cleaned up a couple of old stamps last night. It actually works!
Link here for a picture... LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

"I have found that if I stamp with Versa Mark using a stained stamp, that after awhile the stain from black ink fades some."
Yeah, and the ink from the stain ends up on the Versamark pad--it's the best stamp cleaner around. (It just doesn't look so great when it gets stained!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

If Versamark is getting down between the dots on your background stamp then you are over inking it. Lay your stamp on the table, tap, tap, tap with the ink pad and stamp. Never apply a stamp to a soft surface pad such as Versamark always pad to stamp. This way you only get ink on the raised rubber that is to be printed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I found a website that tells you "Many uses of versamark" www.littlebit.com/ideas_rs/versamark.htm it is from 2006 so not sure if it is still up and running..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

That's good to know that it doesn't matter if you don't clean all the versamark off, and that it might even be helpful to not clean it too well. I was using a large background stamp last night using versamark and was just wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting!
I do like the stamp scrubber, so good to use, but I do find because it is a close fit with the large background stamps that I often give those stamps an extra clean and wipe with a cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

That's good to know that it doesn't matter if you don't clean all the versamark off, and that it might even be helpful to not clean it too well. I was using a large background stamp last night using versamark and was just wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting!
I do like the stamp scrubber, so good to use, but I do find because it is a close fit with the large background stamps that I often give those stamps an extra clean and wipe with a cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinakdudeView Post
I found a website that tells you "Many uses of versamark" www.littlebit.com/ideas_rs/versamark.htm it is from 2006 so not sure if it is still up and running..
This website link is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 AM   #16  
immzw4

I was going to add my name to the list of people who don't clean Versamark off stamps. I found if I have a layer of Versamark on my stamp and then use a permanent ink, like Stazon, it's easier to get the Stazon off. The Versamark gives the rubber a nice layer of protection.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with the one person about leaving the versamark on the stamp.

I disagree with using the Stampin Scrub -
Yes, the stampin scrub is big enough to use on the background stamps.

Yes, the ink or versamark will come off.

HOWEVER, I find that when I use it to remove Versamark the recessed parts of my stamp have fuzzies from the stampin scrub all in them. The raised part is clean and the recessed part is then filthy with fuzz that sticks to the stamp.

So, sometimes I leave the Versamark on the stamp and when I feel like I want to clean it off.....I use an old toothbrush and some stamp cleaner in the sink. I avoid using the stampin scrub.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Aren't those fuzzies annoying? The best way to get rid of them, in my experience, is to take a very soft brush to your Stampin Scrub! When I have new scrub pads, I de-fuzz them under running water before I use them to clean stamps. It makes a huge difference! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtofLoveView Post
HOWEVER, I find that when I use it to remove Versamark the recessed parts of my stamp have fuzzies from the stampin scrub all in them. The raised part is clean and the recessed part is then filthy with fuzz that sticks to the stamp. .... I avoid using the stampin scrub.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I find the scrubber difficult to use with the big stamps, too -- so I pick up inexpensive white paint pads at the hardware store and apply them to the stamp. The largest ones I've been able to find are about 3.5 x 4.75", and I find them easy to handle -- I spritz one with cleaner, set the stamp on its back and scrub away. They come in pairs in a package, so I use the other one to dry the stamp. I've never had problems with fuzzies using the paint pads, either. HTH! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smilie girlView Post

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I use a toothbrush and Stampin' Mist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 662 Likes on 345 Posts

Subscribing. :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes