Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Child crafters-inspiring them

While looking for something else...I came across this young man's YT vids...since I dont see a lot of pre-teens out there, I got curious.

One Simon Hurley, site Inklipse, and has done a lot of vids and has a blog, etc. Impressive for a 13 y/o, esp a boy. We dont have enough males around!

Then I thought it might make for a good thread if we all chip in blogs, companies, etc we know of done by teens...to show our own kids to inspire them from someone who is their own age/sensibility.

Not being smart, I'll just link to a vid from Simon because I cant seem to find the original where he might be explaining who he is in more depth. Maybe someone can help me with that as I am curious as to what got him started.

Inklipse - Where Ink Meets Paper

My other contribution would be Jillian Vance who started her own stamp company as a pre teen-I think she turns 16 this year...

Jillian's Story
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 650 Likes on 369 Posts

Simon is a Tim Holtz in the making. I can see him with his own company someday.

Click on "about me" at the top.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda

Last edited by Benzi; 05-22-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

I tried that Brenda and I got nothing...I see the one paragraph ID'ing himself as 13 and loving crafts under his pic. Maybe that's all there is?

Anyway-I think you could be right-if he keeps tracking...he is already building relationships in the industry and running blog hops! I might have thought a boy his age might have been more interested in anime. I think this is cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #4  

There is a bit more where he talks about seeing Jennifer
McQuire's videos and that got him started. When I get home, I will
try to find it for you. Off to lunch.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #5  

Here you go:

About Me ? Inklipse

He doesn't say a lot but does tell how he got started.

Last edited by Benzi; 05-22-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Wow, is he good! I agree about him being the next Tim Holtz (different style, though). I always love seeing kids being crafty, creative, and entreprenuerial!

What I find refreshing about Simon is the energy he gives off. He seems really excited about everything he is making and using, and I love his no-holds-barred attitude. Why do so many of us adults outgrow this?!?!? I know some don't, and what a blessing that would be to retain it!

Last edited by cnsteele; 05-23-2016 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Brenda! But now I am curious how a 12 y/o boy was even seeing Jen McGuire unless someone in his house had her on? lol

I agree Nicole-that's why I thought he might be inspirational to other young people. If someone here is trying to get their kid interested...this could be a good tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Here's a link to Jillian Vance's bio - she is quite a creative and impressive young lady with not only a blog and stamp/die line but also a brick and mortar store!

Jillian's Story

This gets me thinking again, and not to hijack your thread... but how do we... or how are you... passing this craft on to the next generation?
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 05-24-2016 at 04:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

I dont see that as a hijack at all Dini-it is right there in the same vein-inspiring the young to do this! Getting them hooked up with young crafter bloggers like these two is just one way.

I cant teach, but I donate to Ronald McDonald house so they have supplies to teach kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can teach our own children and grandchildren. The most important thing is to support art in all schools from K-12! Many schools have cut art in the curriculum because it is not part of the big testing craze! I volunteer at a kindergarten. I make the basic part of the papercraft with my Silhouette Cameo and the kids put things together and decorate them. They love it and it has been so wonderful watching their skill levels increase over the year.
Their parents are amazed at what the kids do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Here's a link to Jillian Vance's bio - she is quite a creative and impressive young lady with not only a blog and stamp/die line but also a brick and mortar store!

Jillian's Story

This gets me thinking again, and not to hijack your thread... but how do we... or how are you... passing this craft on to the next generation?
I have started both my grandkids into the craft of card making. In front of my desk in the craft room I have a childs desk set up. Their tools are on the desk and the far right row on the paper rack is exclusivly their paper. At age 5 & 8 they both have made some cute cards. The 8yrs old (girl) even made party items for her recent birthday and makes pokes for cupcakes for holidays. Family members all recieve homemade cards for their birthdays too. The 5yr old so far only really wants to paper craft when everyone else is otherwise he'd much rather play in dirt!! I'll see if I can get a pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the key to inspiring our children is to let them create freely -- not too many "rules" or restraints. My daughter is 19 now and still enjoys crafting - with me and on her own. When she was younger, she knew that it was OK to use what was in the craft room as long as she showed it some respect -- close up the inks, clean the stamps, put things away. But she could make what ever she wanted -- cards, little scrapbooks, gifts for friends. She was always known as "the crafty one".

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 769 Likes on 554 Posts

Our three granddaughters are 10, 8 and 5. Since we don't live near one another, it's a bit of a challenge to paper craft with them. When the girls were visiting here a couple of years ago, Abby, the eldest, and I made a supply of Christmas cards that she wanted to present to service members at a VA Hospital near where she lives. I was thrilled that she had thought of that idea herself. During that visit, I also had all 3 girls using my die cutting machine and stamps and ink. I cleaned out most of my decorative scissors and several paper punches that I no longer use and gave them to the girls. Since that time, they have begun making cards for family members and their friends. The girls will be visiting here next month, so I hope we can do some crafting projects together. These sweet granddaughters will inherit all of my paper crafting goodies, so I'm thrilled that they already have an interest in the hobby that I love so much.

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter, a 5 year old loves to make cards because mommy makes them too. In scrapbooking, she helps me place the alphabet stickers for the title. So she looks at me and learns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

When my kids were little 40-some years ago, I didn't know about stamping (good thing as I wouldn't have been able to afford it!), but we were always crafting---especially with paper. My daughter still remembers a drawer that had construction paper, glue, tape, crayons water paints, good scissors etc. that she and her brothers could use any time and in any way they wished. Cleaning up after any activity, no matter what, was a given, so there was no problem there. She is really into stamping since I got into it after she was grown and gone, but has no room for her own collection and must use mine. Can you imagine how much fun we have each year when we get together to make cards together? Mostly she makes, and I gofer, because I bring the stuff across the country to her small apartment and we must keep the mess under control. She made 25 Christmas cards the last time we were together plus some birthdays and thank yous to fill out the year. Wish she lived closer! My oldest son sews his own collared shirts, reupholstered his car, does amazing woodworking (like his dad) and is now into metal work. My youngest son does so much crafting with his kids (6 & 3)---I know as I get totes, picture frames, cups, etc. that they have made. It is really important to expose kids to materials and give them the chance to explore. Not only does it bring out their creativity, but gives them the confidence to try things. That is a lifetime gift you can give them and that they will pass on to their own children (if they choose to have them!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My daughter is now 12 but from a very early age, I encouraged her to look through my stash and willingly shared it. I let her colour on good quality watercolour paper/cardstock so she knew what it was for and how it worked & let her play around with the various mediums that I have which is mainly pencils and acrylic paints. Now of course, I supervised her and taught her to respect what I had & not drop my pencils or leave the lids off my inks etc. - but gave her plenty of freedom. I also surrounded her with my cardmaking magazines and art books (alot of the Usborne type of crafting/art books are a fantastic source of inspiration & encouragement).

My local scrapbooking store (now closed) had cardmaking & scrapbooking classes for kids age 6 and over so I enrolled her in many of those so she had teaching from other people. And my daughter has made many, many cards over the years and plans to start her own blog. For the past 3 years, she has made many cards for fundraising and has a box at the Reception Desk at her school where she sells her handmade cards for a small amount of money (usually 50c to $1) & all the proceeds go to her hospital where she has been a long-term patient. When I am stuck with one of my cards, I ask her advice - should I add a ribbon or leave it off - or - what colour ribbon should I use? Often I over-complicate something so seeking a child's advice is a great help.

And I still willingly share my stash (even though she has a stash of her own!) & just tell her to help herself now that she is older. She has her own unique style and teaches me more than I teach her

Last edited by JoBear2; 05-29-2016 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My adult daughter and i have crafted together for years. We now have been joined by my granddaughters ages 4 and 7. They tend to want to do what we are doing and are learning to use many of our tools under great supervision. They are currently into Tim Holtz Distress Crayons and water coloring. It is so much fun to watch them learn and see what their final product may be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I have 5 nieces- the oldest is 9, youngest ones are 5- and every time they're at our place they want out go out and make a card in my shop. They love using the Big Shot, picking the stamps and papers they want to use- and I love seeing what they come up with! The older girls are starting their own collections of cardmaking supplies at home, and they love making cards for their families or whoever. I told my mom once that she's the one who got me into cardmaking...she doesn't stamp (actually I'm the only one in my family that does except now the little girls are), but she got me some stamps for Christmas when I was 8 or 9 and I loved them- 10 years later now and I'm still making cards...and now there's 5 learning cardmakers behind me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DD is 6 and has had a desk in my craft room for over a year. She LOVES watching art journal videos from Vicky Papaioannou and playing with gelatos (Santa brought her a gift set of gel sticks). She started playing along with the Creative Chemistry summer classes with me on Online Card Classes. She completed her first tag yesterday and I added it to my gallery - Violet's (age 6) First Tag! by meeyore151 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers. I remembered seeing this thread and thought I should post it here to help encourage her! She's a fun little crafting buddy.

She desperately wants to do �crafting videos�, unfortunately her mommy is not so good with technology� LOL. I can record things on my phone but have no clue about posting and editing. She randomly mentioned this to the owner of a store in town and they volunteered to record her. I hope that poor woman realizes my child will NEVER forget that and we�ll be back this week� :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:37 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just checked. We dont have a kids gallery. Like SCS Juniors or Sprouts or whatever name... Is that an idea/way for the community to support the kids?

Or kids could just be in the regular individuals gallery I guess if they are not intimidated to be with the grown ups, but how do we know they are kids? Maybe they could have special symbol next to their name?

Dont get in your car Lydia and come whack me with a frying pan. I know, I keep making suggestions that would be more work like you guys dont have enough to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

A kid's gallery is an awesome idea! Vi does get a little intimidated sometimes - saying she can't make something as nice as what she sees online. I try telling her that it takes practice and the adult crafters have the advantage of years of practice, but she doesn't have many examples of kids making the same type of crafts she enjoys to see that she's not alone. Did that make sense? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I get you Amanda.

I've been thinking about this. The thing is...I imagine it would be a piece of work to create and administer and unless a lot of people step forward and say their kids would use it...I dont think it would be worth it. Or better yet, volunteer to run it. Plus the kids have to understand...sometimes no one will comment. It doesnt mean the piece is horrible. But wouldnt it be cool if they commented on each other and grew up together as a crafting generation?

Oh goodness! Your little sweetpea needs to understand that some people here have been doing this 4x longer than she is alive! They could have DP that's older that her LOLOL. Certainly stamps and punches and so on. And the grown up newbies are just as shy and inexperienced as she is! In another 2-3 years she will have the same dexterity as a grown up if not sooner.

But we know that age...when 10 mins is an eternity and forget an hour....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #23  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the key to inspiring the next generation is to give them the stuff, teach them how to care for it properly, and then let them at it.
I have nieces and nephews, and I have happily done all kinds of crafts with them - exposing them to as many different ones as I can - you never know what will take their fancy. To be fair, they all also have mothers & a grandmother who are crafty and encourage them to make stuff too.
One of my nieces is 7, and one of her favourite gifts ever is the year I gave her her own rubbermaid tote filled with cardstock, rhinestones, adhesive, card bases, designer paper, and some stamped images. She had a fabulous time with it - that it was hers to do whatever she wanted with it just thrilled her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have taken my son to art exhibitions as well as local art programs for kids. I feel art plays an important part of a child's over - all development. There are times when my son does not seem remotely interested in creating anything. Then all of a sudden he has his very own explosion of creativity. I feel never force the issue.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I get you Amanda.

I've been thinking about this. The thing is...I imagine it would be a piece of work to create and administer and unless a lot of people step forward and say their kids would use it...I dont think it would be worth it. Or better yet, volunteer to run it. Plus the kids have to understand...sometimes no one will comment. It doesnt mean the piece is horrible. But wouldnt it be cool if they commented on each other and grew up together as a crafting generation?

Oh goodness! Your little sweetpea needs to understand that some people here have been doing this 4x longer than she is alive! They could have DP that's older that her LOLOL. Certainly stamps and punches and so on. And the grown up newbies are just as shy and inexperienced as she is! In another 2-3 years she will have the same dexterity as a grown up if not sooner.

But we know that age...when 10 mins is an eternity and forget an hour....

Yeah, the gallery thing probably would be a bit of a problem to create. I'm not sure how much kid traffic we would actually have for a gallery. But I'll just occasionally upload stuff Vi makes and be sure to label it as a "kid craft" or something. I think it'll help her to have a record of the things she's made and how she's improving.

You are so right about their ability to grasp TIME at this age! And that "practice" means trying something MULTIPLE times. LOL I really appreciate it when people mention how long it took them to learn something, or shows the mistakes that they made when starting a project, in their YouTube videos. Since Vi likes watching those it helps her to hear another person (not just mommy!) saying it's OK for things not to go "perfectly" the first time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
Yeah, the gallery thing probably would be a bit of a problem to create. I'm not sure how much kid traffic we would actually have for a gallery. But I'll just occasionally upload stuff Vi makes and be sure to label it as a "kid craft" or something. I think it'll help her to have a record of the things she's made and how she's improving.

You are so right about their ability to grasp TIME at this age! And that "practice" means trying something MULTIPLE times. LOL I really appreciate it when people mention how long it took them to learn something, or shows the mistakes that they made when starting a project, in their YouTube videos. Since Vi likes watching those it helps her to hear another person (not just mommy!) saying it's OK for things not to go "perfectly" the first time.
Maybe you could start a gallery for her on your computer. I don't have a gallery on SCS, but I do keep a record (with the date and the particulars as well as who the recipient was) on my computer. Then maybe someday when she has a computer, you can transfer the gallery to her and she can continue it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have to admit I am not the biggest fan myself of practice. LOL and the new generations are all about "now"...it isnt easy to explain gardening to them and how you have to have patience and could have to wait years for a plant to mature...

I like that idea of giving her her own little gallery in your home computer! There is always the old traditional post the latest one on the fridge too Does anyone do that anymore?

I love the idea of taking kids to museums/galleries and getting them in the habit of it. Even if they dont make art, it can inform them as people. I wish I had some to take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
A kid's gallery is an awesome idea! Vi does get a little intimidated sometimes - saying she can't make something as nice as what she sees online. I try telling her that it takes practice and the adult crafters have the advantage of years of practice, but she doesn't have many examples of kids making the same type of crafts she enjoys to see that she's not alone. Did that make sense? LOL
Kristina Werner has a "Mail Call" every month. There is a theme each month, make and send her the card. For cards made my kids include a post it note with name and age and she includes it in her mail call video. (this is open to all, not just kids) She then does a Mail Call video of all the cards received showcasing the younger crafters and commenting on their card.

Here's a link to her Utube channel which has all her past mail call vids and the second link is to her blog:

https://www.youtube.com/user/starofmay/videos

kwernerdesign blog
Reply With Quote Likes