Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default categorizing sayings stamps

I've finally reached the point where I'm forgetting what stamps I have. It took 8 years but I finally got there, lol! I'm thinking of doing some kind of computer categorizing of what I have for word/saying stamps. Has anybody done this? Suggestions? Thanks.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have not done any type of cataloging (yet)! But I have heard of stamping each set on a paper, one for the main category and then stamping each sentiment on a separate sheet and store these in a binder. Then when you have another similar sentiment (Happy Birthday, Thank you, and so on) stamp those on the same sheet, so that you have a place in the binder with the sentiments in one place.

This is my plan... I'll get to it someday!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

That's a good idea too. I hadn't thought of stamping them. Kinda ironic, ain't it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a binder with a copy of all of my stamps. My individual stamps are all categorized, tho' I haven't broken down the word and saying stamps into sub-categories yet, like "sympathy" or "birthday", etc. It's getting more complicated, tho', now that I'm buying more sets than individual stamps. I stamp or copy the whole set together, but so many sets contain stamps that fit into different categories! I'm looking forward to input on how others keep track of their stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I've been working on this very thing as part of my new year's resolution. I am stamping each set on an individual sheet then stamping again by catagory. The obvious ones..thank you, happy birthday holidays etc. are easy. I've had to add other catagories like quotes, sayings and fragments. It's a slow process as I'm doing this for all images in my sets (ie, single flowers, flowers on stems, hearts, baby); it seems to take forever but I am finding all kinds of things I had forgotten about. Now when I make an order I won't be getting more of the same without knowing it. I'm up to 3 three ring binders. One for sets, one for images and one for words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land :eek: but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. I have one of those paper towers made of the wire cubes that I didn't especially like for paper (the corners always seemed to be getting caught and dinged). Anyway, I bought some 11 X 14 acrylic box frames, took out the cardboard insert and used the frames like trays. One frame fits great into one paper slot. All the Happy Birthdays into one tray, Thank Yous into another, etc and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far! ;)

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Stampin' Sooz; 03-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. I have one of those paper towers made of the wire cubes that I didn't especially like for paper (the corners always seemed to be getting caught and dinged). Anyway, I bought some 11 X 14 acrylic box frames, took out the cardboard insert and used the frames like trays. One frame fits great into one paper slot. All the Happy Birthdays into one tray, Thank Yous into another, etc and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far! ;)

Gasping -- with laughter!!! :mrgreen: I, too, have done the unthinkable and separated the sentiments from their rightful place in their designated SU box. And guess what I've discovered, the stamp police have not bothered to come to my house and demanded that stamps be put back in the boxes!!!! ;)

In all seriousness, it is one of the most productive things I've done with my stamps because I have immediate access to EVERY sentiment stamp that I own and I can choose, use and replace the stamp within seconds. No bumbling with boxes, checking sheets in a notebook and locating a set - I simply open the drawer for appropriate occasion and my entire inventory is there to see. It makes me smile everytime I use it, which is often. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, it's probably way up there on the Geek scale, but I have an Excel spreadsheet with sentiments. First column is sentiment itself, and I try to break down any words that could be pulled out and stamped separately. The second column is the name of the set, so I can locate that sentiment. The third column is any comments - such as whether sentiment is extremely small or in a certain style or shape. So I can sort as a database to figure out what sets have a certain phrase or word and choose what I want from there.

Speaking of which, I sure do need to update that spreadsheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land :eek: but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. .... and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far!
Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Gasping -- with laughter!!! :mrgreen: I, too, have done the unthinkable and separated the sentiments from their rightful place in their designated SU box. And guess what I've discovered, the stamp police have not bothered to come to my house and demanded that stamps be put back in the boxes!!!!

In all seriousness, it is one of the most productive things I've done with my stamps because I have immediate access to EVERY sentiment stamp that I own and I can choose, use and replace the stamp within seconds. No bumbling with boxes, checking sheets in a notebook and locating a set - I simply open the drawer for appropriate occasion and my entire inventory is there to see. It makes me smile everytime I use it, which is often. :cool:
You took the words out of my mouth! I just did this same "unthinkable" thing with all my sentiments last month - and I wonder why I didn't do it years ago!!! Makes finding that sentiment I know that I own available immediately! Haven't seen the Stamp Police around here either! ;)
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I am not quite so fancy. I have quite a few SU sets. If I bought it new and unmounted then I just copy the page of stickers. I make 3 copies---one for me to cut down and tape to the front of the plastic box so I always put the stamp into the right place--one to put in a biinder, alphabetized by set name; and one for my mom (this way we don't buy the same sets). If it is a set that is already mounted, or a single stamp, then I lay the stamps on to the top of the copy machine and make a copy that way. I also have an excel sheet with all the stamps listed, but I find flipping through my book so much easier. I have one book for my stamps--so I know that I have it on hand---and one book for my mom's--knowing I can't use it right then. Hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like a couple posters above, I separated my sentiments from sets. Now I have all the birthdays together, thank you's etc. when need a birthday sentiment I see right away what I have. That was the best organizing I have done so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

OHHHHHHH YES!!!!!!!! I'm going to do that to! I'm not one to "fool" with my sets...like taking them off the wood...I like my wood blocks and I like that each stamp is ready to go...unlike unmounted, but I think I will walk on the wild side and put all my sentiments together by category. I'll have to find some boxes for that. No drawers available here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnagwdView Post
Well, it's probably way up there on the Geek scale, but I have an Excel spreadsheet with sentiments. First column is sentiment itself, and I try to break down any words that could be pulled out and stamped separately. The second column is the name of the set, so I can locate that sentiment. The third column is any comments - such as whether sentiment is extremely small or in a certain style or shape. So I can sort as a database to figure out what sets have a certain phrase or word and choose what I want from there.

Don't forget, geeks make the world go 'round ;) That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I pretty much stink at Excel, but this might be a great opportunity to learn. I'm not appalled at the thought of breaking up sets but my craft room is pretty crowded and I just don't have space for that, or for more binders. I have a laptop in my craft room and would love to just pull up a file to see what I have. Any pointers to get started?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsane!View Post
OHHHHHHH YES!!!!!!!! I'm going to do that to! I'm not one to "fool" with my sets...like taking them off the wood...I like my wood blocks and I like that each stamp is ready to go...unlike unmounted, but I think I will walk on the wild side and put all my sentiments together by category. I'll have to find some boxes for that. No drawers available here...

Welcome to the dark side! LOL! I highly recommend the box frames. I have about 150 SU sets and the 11 X 14 size works great. They'd even stack nicely if you didn't have a rack or shelf system to put them on.

I have to agree with Boss --
It makes me smile everytime I use it, which is often.

I'm so glad to hear from others who've made this change. If the stamp police starts heading west, I'll let you know! :rolleyes:

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

My only difficulty with the excel file was that it didn't give me any kind of idea what style, size, or shape the greeting is in. Sometimes that is vital!

My solution? I have all my greetings stamped on 3x5 cards and they are sorted into subject areas in a card file on my desk. So far I am fine with several "happy birthday" greetings on a single card...with each one labeled as to which set it goes in. I can find what I need readily.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
My only difficulty with the excel file was that it didn't give me any kind of idea what style, size, or shape the greeting is in. Sometimes that is vital!

My solution? I have all my greetings stamped on 3x5 cards and they are sorted into subject areas in a card file on my desk. So far I am fine with several "happy birthday" greetings on a single card...with each one labeled as to which set it goes in. I can find what I need readily.
I like that idea! Easy to add to...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Smile

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #18  

OK ladies lets not get carried away. I just got my paper organized by color as opposed to category (Earth Elements etc..) LOL. I love it this way - I actually use colors I never new I had. Still don't have the guts to discard all those beautiful plastic cases the stamps come in. I'd have to come up with a project to recycle them. I currently have my SU stamps in Excel by name, item number, category (birthday, florals, etc) retired date and even price. The I print out 2 sheets. One in alphy order and the other in category order. I cut out from an extra catalog the pictures of the stamp sets that I have and put them in a binder. If more than one stamp set is on a page I either copy it or print it off the SU website. Now when I look for a stamp I use my category sheet and flip to the appropriate index tab. Works great for now but I think I'm going to have to get a bit more courage to break up my sets!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

I too separate my saying stamps. I use Irish cards to store my stamps by category. My probelm is where to store saying stamps that fit more in more one category. I buy saying stamps by many different companies. I love saying stamps, somtimes I will buy the stamp and then figure how to make the card. Any ideas on how to store these???????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I keep mine in the SU background stamp boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh NOOOO, don't make me please don't make me! For about the past 3 years? anything I buy new from SU goes on EZMount, I scan the index sheet, put all in a 3 ring binder, make a label for the spine of the cd case and store them in CD cases. AMAZING space savings. I love it and since I never intend on selling any of them, I'm ok with it. Now what to do with hundreds of wood blocks, but I digress. I use the plastic cases for everything. 5x7 photos fit perfect, easy and safe when going to a crop. Why buy storage things when I have literally hundreds for free.
Now I have to jump off the deep end and SEPERATE my sets! OMG, it makes so much sense because I still have 203 sets on the wood and a couple hundred singles,from before I was smart and discoved sets. Digging through them is a huge waste of time and now I know why a card can take me 2 hours! Oh my it took me 5 years, no joke, to mix all my buttons into a big pretty jar, all my primas into a beautiful jar , so pretty to look at. Now I think I need to seperate stamp sets. Wow, my brain is fuzzy. I think I need to rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmoore1View Post
OK ladies lets not get carried away. I just got my paper organized by color as opposed to category (Earth Elements etc..) LOL. I love it this way - I actually use colors I never new I had. Still don't have the guts to discard all those beautiful plastic cases the stamps come in. I'd have to come up with a project to recycle them. I currently have my SU stamps in Excel by name, item number, category (birthday, florals, etc) retired date and even price. The I print out 2 sheets. One in alphy order and the other in category order. I cut out from an extra catalog the pictures of the stamp sets that I have and put them in a binder. If more than one stamp set is on a page I either copy it or print it off the SU website. Now when I look for a stamp I use my category sheet and flip to the appropriate index tab. Works great for now but I think I'm going to have to get a bit more courage to break up my sets!!
I think you are misunderstanding how many of us are doing this. Speaking for myself, I don't take ALL of the stamps out of the case :shock:, I only remove the sentiments from the set. Each one of my SU cases has an index sheet in the bottom which shows all the stamps that originally belonged to the set (sentiments included), so I always know what the whole set looked like. The sentment stamps are lightly marked on the end with the set info using a fine pt pigma marker (which can be easily sanded off if you decide to re-marry the set and sell it later). At this point the sentiment is put in the appropriate sayings drawer. The other stamps remain in their original box and are stored in one of my stamp drawers.

To make a long explaination short, I'm not really "breaking up" the sets so much as letting them visit another drawer. ;) It's not a huge scary thing to do, it's a tiny baby-step and if at any point you decide it isn't working for you, you simply return the sentiment stamp to it's original container. No harm, no foul. If I double-dogged dared you to do it, would you give it a try? :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Hello Ladies,

I agree, with so many sets, it can be overwhelming. You know you have just the right size saying somewhere but what set is it in!

I have stamped each set as I get it, on a separate sheet of paper, I add any info such as matching wheel or brass template.....even caddy its shown in for future reference. I then keep them in a binder in alphabetical order.

I also have a second binder, no set plan in this one, with just sayings, there may be sayings from three or four sets on a page, but I put which set its in, and it really does not take much to find exactly what I am looking for.

I really am not ready to break up my sets yet! So far I have room to store them and they are right at my fingertips!

Organizing is the hardest part! I have also found if you put a color coded sticker on the box, i.e. Red for Christmas, Yellow for Easter, you can tell at a glance if its a set you are looking for. This works well with the sayings.

Hope this helps some of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I keep track of all the new sets I buy out of the current book and when I purchase the new book, I take my list and go through the old book and cut out the set along with the price paid, just in case I want to sell later on (it has been about 6 years and I haven't been able to part with anything yet)! I love the idea of just printing the stamp label before mounting, what a time saver. I then put all my copies in sheet protectors in a 3 ring folder. I have 3, one for my stamp sets, one for inspiration of sayings/quote/funnies I have seen and one for copies of all the wonderful card ideas I print off of SCS and pictures I have taken of cards made by friends. After reading your replys I may have to bite the bullet and organize my sayings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Geez! What an organized group!! I also colored coded my stamps sets a,d put them on a data base. I took al the sentiments out of each set, unless they were really specific stamp oriented. I put all the sentiments into empty clear boxes by category and have them all listed alphabetically in a binder. I really like the idea of photocopying the stamp sheet, cause I have found that when I use a sentiment, I have forgotten which set it is out of, so it's hard to give the proper info. I guess I will hav to start doing that. If I have ordered just a sentiment stamp, I can look it up on the receipt of my order, (I keep them in a binder also).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Here's what I do:

When I purchase a new set, I make 2 copies of the sticker sheet. One I put in a binder in alphabetical order by stamp set (and that's how I store them in my cabinet). The other is trimmed down and adhered on the inside of the front of the stamp box so I can see just what stamps belong in that box. If I forget to make copies, I just stamp all of the images on paper.

For sentiment stamps, I use a rolodex. I stamp the sentiments on a rolodex card and then write the name of the stamp set at the top. I have made categories to put them under (b-day, get well, love, wedding, thinking of you, etc). If a sentiment fits more than one category, then I stamp more than one card and file them in the correct category.

I used to have a binder w/pages for each category. I would stamp the sentiment and then write the stamp set name under it on the correct page. But, since I'm a demonstrator, I usually get rid of my retired stamps and I was having to mark through the retired ones and it was getting messy. This way, if a set retires, I can just pull out the cards that go w/that set and move on. If I decide to keep a retired set, I write 'retired' in colored marker under the stamp set name and file them at the end of the category they are in.

What's great about stamping the sentiments instead of just typing them in some file is that I can look through the file and find one that would fit the space I have or that would fit the punch I'd like to use. During my classes, if we're making a birthday card and someone really needs a get well card, they can flip through the rolodex and find a sentiment that would work in the same space and just let me know what stamp set it's in. Voila! Card is just what they need!

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Talking storage

Hello, I read about your dilemma and my sister and I solved this by separating (yes separating) sets and we categorized ours into plastic boxes which we labeled - Birthday, Common sayings (thanks, get well, etc), meaningful sayings, words, holidays. This has worked very well for us. We have the boxes stored on a floor to ceiling book shelf. We have done this with all our stamps - filling the boxes up as labeled: flowers, single flowers, people, animals, landscapes, backgrounds, etc. the boxes were purchased from Ofc. Max and were between 5 and 8 dollars each. But those acrylic frames idea seems to be a good one too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default Stamp Storage

Your SU Demo can order SU stamp boxes ofr you with her supply order!

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnagwdView Post

Wow, I would love to see this. Could you post it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stamps

When I get a new stamp, I scan it and save it to a folder on my desk top. If I get a new SU set, I scan the sheet before I put it on each individual stamp
When I need a stamp, I go to my folder and look at my stamps. I also categorize them in the folder. Flowers, Holidays, verses...etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I think you are misunderstanding how many of us are doing this. Speaking for myself, I don't take ALL of the stamps out of the case :shock:, I only remove the sentiments from the set. Each one of my SU cases has an index sheet in the bottom which shows all the stamps that originally belonged to the set (sentiments included), so I always know what the whole set looked like. The sentment stamps are lightly marked on the end with the set info using a fine pt pigma marker (which can be easily sanded off if you decide to re-marry the set and sell it later). At this point the sentiment is put in the appropriate sayings drawer. The other stamps remain in their original box and are stored in one of my stamp drawers.

To make a long explaination short, I'm not really "breaking up" the sets so much as letting them visit another drawer. ;) It's not a huge scary thing to do, it's a tiny baby-step and if at any point you decide it isn't working for you, you simply return the sentiment stamp to it's original container. No harm, no foul. If I double-dogged dared you to do it, would you give it a try? :cool:

Can't take your dare, because I'm already doing it!! Since joining the Christmas Card Challenge, I started doing this very thing with my Christmas word stamps. I like it so much, I'm starting to do it with birthday stamps. I make an impression of the stamp that is leaving its plastic case and put it inside the case; and also, I lightly mark the side of the stamp with a code for that stamp set. The sentiment stamp can visit for awhile and always be available to join its stamp set family if needed. So far, it's been great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello~~~~This is the Stamp Police. You are under arrest. Send me all your poor stamps right now so I can regroup them with their families. I wish to relieve you of all suffering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
You know I love RED

Received 744 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Me Too!

Quote:

I know this might cause a gasp all across SCS-land :eek: but I recently took all the sentiments out of my stamp sets and put them all together by category. I'll start by saying that I don't have any intention of selling my SU sets. I too was always looking for just the right "happy birthday" or "thank you" stamp. I have one of those paper towers made of the wire cubes that I didn't especially like for paper (the corners always seemed to be getting caught and dinged). Anyway, I bought some 11 X 14 acrylic box frames, took out the cardboard insert and used the frames like trays. One frame fits great into one paper slot. All the Happy Birthdays into one tray, Thank Yous into another, etc and now I have a one stop shop for whichever sentiment I'm looking for. I know it's a radical idea, but it's working for me so far! ;)
I bought two wooden cabinets that i stacked on top of each other that have narrow drawers (12). One drawer for thank you, one for happy birthday, one for anniv. and wedding, one for baby, etc. works for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

ok, well if the cops haven't charged you yet, then I'm going to do that too!
So many times, I pull out an older set, and forget that there was a beautiful verse that went with it.
Yup, that's what I'm gonna do.....
I have been spending a bit more time now in my craft room, my husband just passed away 7 weeks ago today, and bit by bit, I'm getting some of my "spark" back, and this would be a GREAT project to do!
Thanks for telling me it's OK.. !:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmoore1View Post
Yup, I did bite the bullet and separate the "families" and like you, found way more colour combos than I knew I had!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilysuesueView Post
Here's what I do:

When I purchase a new set, I make 2 copies of the sticker sheet. One I put in a binder in alphabetical order by stamp set (and that's how I store them in my cabinet). The other is trimmed down and adhered on the inside of the front of the stamp box so I can see just what stamps belong in that box. If I forget to make copies, I just stamp all of the images on paper.

For sentiment stamps, I use a rolodex. I stamp the sentiments on a rolodex card and then write the name of the stamp set at the top. I have made categories to put them under (b-day, get well, love, wedding, thinking of you, etc). If a sentiment fits more than one category, then I stamp more than one card and file them in the correct category.

I used to have a binder w/pages for each category. I would stamp the sentiment and then write the stamp set name under it on the correct page. But, since I'm a demonstrator, I usually get rid of my retired stamps and I was having to mark through the retired ones and it was getting messy. This way, if a set retires, I can just pull out the cards that go w/that set and move on. If I decide to keep a retired set, I write 'retired' in colored marker under the stamp set name and file them at the end of the category they are in.

What's great about stamping the sentiments instead of just typing them in some file is that I can look through the file and find one that would fit the space I have or that would fit the punch I'd like to use. During my classes, if we're making a birthday card and someone really needs a get well card, they can flip through the rolodex and find a sentiment that would work in the same space and just let me know what stamp set it's in. Voila! Card is just what they need!
WOW, that's taking it even one step further! great idea..I have an old Rolodex at work that is never used, and that's what I'm going to turn it into! Thanks for the tip!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you put images into cells in Excel worksheets?

When I use Excel at work, once I have the columns labeled, I go into the data column and find form (I use 2003 at work) and it will automatically set it up as a form to enter things. I haven't tried to enter pictures or put pictures in the spreadsheet, but in theory, it should work. If that doesn't, then you could just type in the stamp's measurement - that shouldn't be too hard to get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

From day one of becoming a demonstrator, I separated my stamp sets into categories (I was new, I didn't know about the stamp police).

I purchased those hard plastic rolling carts from Office Max with the six narrow drawers. I used my label maker to print out category labels for each drawer. e.g., Animals, Backgrounds, Baby, Christmas...Winter, Words (Anytime), Words (Birthday), Words (Friend), Words (Love), Words (Thank you), etc. My ORIGINAL intention was to only have ONE layer of stamps per drawer and stamp an index paper as a liner for the drawer...but that quickly went out the window as I acquired more stamps.

The drawers are removable and nice for when you start to double and triple up on a particular category like "Flowers" and feel the need to keep the drawers in alphabetical order. The drawers are the perfect depth for storing reinkers, embossing powders, and punches too. To conserve space I created rolling towers by affixing the wheels to only the bottom cart, then stacked another cart on top and taped together with electrical tape. I have filled (actually, over filled) 12 of the carts already. I shudder to think what my hubby will say when I tell him I'm ready for more.

I have a shelf of empty stamp boxes tucked in the laundry room that I use for packaging up card sets I have made as gifts or for sale. The smaller boxes are great for gift tags or door prize give-a-way items at workshops.

However, I too found that I've purchased duplicates of 2 things because I didn't have a catalog of the stamps and wheels I already own. I like the idea of the Rolodex Card File. I may need to tackle that idea next.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your fabulous organizing tips! Organizing always seems to be a work in progress for me as I acquire more "stuff."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTHView Post
ok, well if the cops haven't charged you yet, then I'm going to do that too!
So many times, I pull out an older set, and forget that there was a beautiful verse that went with it.
Yup, that's what I'm gonna do.....
I have been spending a bit more time now in my craft room, my husband just passed away 7 weeks ago today, and bit by bit, I'm getting some of my "spark" back, and this would be a GREAT project to do!
Thanks for telling me it's OK.. !:p

Heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. I'm glad you're feeling better and better as the weeks go by. A project would be a great thing to do! Hope tells us that tomorrow will be a better day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCinkitView Post
Can't take your dare, because I'm already doing it!! Since joining the Christmas Card Challenge, I started doing this very thing with my Christmas word stamps. I like it so much, I'm starting to do it with birthday stamps. I make an impression of the stamp that is leaving its plastic case and put it inside the case; and also, I lightly mark the side of the stamp with a code for that stamp set. The sentiment stamp can visit for awhile and always be available to join its stamp set family if needed. So far, it's been great!
I like the way you think! ;):cool::-D
Reply With Quote Likes