Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card Stock storage?

In my never ending search for organization and ease of use, I have changed how I store my card stock THREE times! First I had them in hanging files, but this was too difficult to get in and out of conveniently (I am using heavy duty cardboard file boxes - the hanging folders didn't move easily enough on the cardboard edges though this is what the boxes are made for!).

Then I went to a literature storage box (rectangle) that I used at school. It is black/white speckled and has 8 horizontal "trays" (8.5X11) and 3 vertical spaces. This is OK except that storing my paper in file folders and flat is inconvenient, I can't see what cardstock I have without removing the whole pile, and the file folders are just a tad too big for the space, making removing them difficult to remove! The real downside to this is that it is BIG (28"X12"X12.5") and I'm running out of counter, desk top space.

Now, I have cleaned off a small bookcase (2 shelf plus the top, 3 ft. long), and am thinking about using the heavy duty cardboard magazine holders for storing my individual file folders of card stock. I have enough of them to separate all 4 color families plus 2 more for neutrals and glossy white/US white.

My biggest question is, which is the best way for cardstock to be stored - flat in stacks, or vertical? Will storing them vertically cause warping or damage? What does everyone else do?

Thanks for reading this long one and for your opinions!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

you could try turning the literature organizer on its side to make vertical storage. That's what I did and it's much easier

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my 8.5 x 11 CS in vertically in magazine file folders. The CS is pretty stiff, so mine hasn't warped, but I do try to keep the CS fairly close together, so that there is not too much room for leaning. I also keep them in the original plastic wrapper if at all possible. I have stored mine this way for two years. Also, make sure that your CS is away from a direct light source such as a window. Sunlight or bright light may cause fading on the edges that are exposed. I keep mine in closed cupboard.

I hope that you and your CS are at peace soon!!
Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep mine in hanging Pendaflex folders but in a plastic file bin that is specifically made for filing. They move very nicely on this. For each Pendaflex I have a labe that has the color name, stock number, and a punch of the color so I can see it. I like the bin because I can keep it under my table, and slide it out when I need it, or even lift it up onto my table if I want. My only mistake with this so far was buying a bin that was too small to hold all the paper. The one I have now appears that it will work. I think the new colors will fit too. The box size is: 13.5 x 22.75 x 10.75. A side note: I also keep my scraps in the Pendaflex. I just have them slipped into the front of each color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep my cs in a cropper hopper vertical paper holder. It is made of very sturdy hard plastic. I have mine separated by color groups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by krcrafts
you could try turning the literature organizer on its side to make vertical storage. That's what I did and it's much easier

Kelli
Wish I had read this about 10 minutes earlier!! I just now - as I was putting up the now empty organizer - that I could have tried that! Alas, I think there would have been a "space" problem with that as well, however.....maybe for some of my other files????

Thanks for the additional idea!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Default Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjboatright
I keep mine in hanging Pendaflex folders but in a plastic file bin that is specifically made for filing. They move very nicely on this. For each Pendaflex I have a labe that has the color name, stock number, and a punch of the color so I can see it. I like the bin because I can keep it under my table, and slide it out when I need it, or even lift it up onto my table if I want. My only mistake with this so far was buying a bin that was too small to hold all the paper. The one I have now appears that it will work. I think the new colors will fit too. The box size is: 13.5 x 22.75 x 10.75. A side note: I also keep my scraps in the Pendaflex. I just have them slipped into the front of each color.
That's what I do, too. I keep my scraps in a page protector stored in each pendaflex with the matching cs color. It works great. The plastic file bin looks like a milk crate and is pretty reasonable (about $5). All the colors fit, even the neutrals (as long as I don't have a full pack of each color -- which never happens, anyway) LOL!

Good Luck in finding a system that works for you!

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #8  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a storage & organization freak (I am sure you other as-yet undiagnosed OCD stampers can relate!). So, my stamping area has needed some help, but I wasn't sure what to do. I've been watching ALL the posts on ink, paper, stamp storage for weeks.

My plan? I'm going to order a tape holder (from www.kingdom.com) for my ink pads (but I'm waiting to see the new design DavidH is working on), and then I'm going to order a hanging file cabinet on wheels from www.paperwishes.com. They hold 12x12 paper in 12" file folders! I really want something that stores all size papers.

Would love to hear what you finally decide on, and how you like it.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
I am a storage & organization freak
Welcome! Join the club!

Anything I do now is really only temporary because the things I really want are going to be fairly expensive. I am still in the thinking and designing stage! What I'd really like to do is completely gut this room except for my desk - a 7.5 foot by 2 foot wide piece of white kitchen counter top - which I love, and start all over with shelving and systems specifically designed for scrapbooking and stamping! Alas, I can only dream right now!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default storage

I have a room (OK the landing) that is just for my stamping stuff and I have a table (not sure that info is needed but...) and I use the in and out plastic things I bought mine at WalMart for just a couple of dollars for two of them. I don't keep my paper separated by color so I can just put it in the shelves(?) and then they are easy to pull out and put back in.
Reply With Quote Likes