Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card set guidelines

I want to make a set of cards for a gift. I am a bit overwhelmed. What are some guidelines? Do you pick a common theme? Color? Stamp set?

Bonnie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

This is paper crafting - there are no rules! I think it depends on the recipient & the occasion. You can certainly make a set of all Birthday Cards if the recipient sends lots of those. If they have a passion about a particular activity or hobby, then the cards could lend themselves to that theme. And there's nothing that says they can't be multiples of the same design with different sentiments. It really depends on what you want them to have and from what you think they'd get the most joy & use.

My card sets are generally a pack of all occasion cards with a common color scheme. But then again, I'm kinda stuck on making the One-Sheet-Wonder Tote with cards. Here's a link: OSW Au Chocolat Tote & cards by akstampmama - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers.
This is a wonderful gift and can be embellished as much or as little as you'd like. Very adaptable.
Good luck. Show us what you decide on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I've made one-layer CAS cards using one large stamp image but in different colors with different sentiments for each card. I've also done a set of birthday cards using 1-2 stamps sets by the same company and using 2 different sketches - if I recall I think I used similar colors too - a paper pack would be great to use for something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love this idea of giving someone a mix and match card set - Mix and Match Card Set by Betty Traciak

I hope this link works. Basically you make a number of coordinated greetings separately and the recipient can choose which they want to attach to the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I knew you gals would help! Thanks!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been doing groups of 3 with the same set but different colors and sentiments. Then I put 3 groups together to make a set of 9.

SUO Blossom Set by sophmad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Mixed Bunch Set by sophmad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Itty Bitty Buds Set by sophmad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
SUO Fifth Ave Set by sophmad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
SUO Daisy Set by sophmad - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Beth, those sets are so gorgeous! Love, love, love the Upsy Daisy set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
I love this idea of giving someone a mix and match card set - Mix and Match Card Set by Betty Traciak

I hope this link works. Basically you make a number of coordinated greetings separately and the recipient can choose which they want to attach to the card.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually choose a theme (say butterflies) and then vary the sentiments. When I am giving cards as a set to other people I tend to make them more "mailable" as well and I usually include matching envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I always make a mix of cards-thank you, B'day, kids b'd, get well, wedding, encouragement, just because, blank note, and of course the ever not-popular sympathy cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually make 4-8 cards. I keep them CAS and use the same or similar layout for all but usually in different colours. I like layouts that can be used both landscape and portrait for variety within the set but maintain some consistency. I do several different sentiments focusing on the ones the recipient will use most. Because I like them to look like a set when they are done but not quite identical, the sentiments are often from the same stamp set so the fonts are the same, similar or at least coordinate.

To keep them looking like a set i keep the colors and papers coordinated too. I often use different papers from the same pack. For example, some yellow cards with green DP then some green with yellow DP. Then I use several different matching ribbons mixing them up so no two cards are the same. I like using twine, pearls and buttons as fast easy accents. Mine are almost always 4.25x5.5". I package them in a clear box with matching stamped envies. I sometimes add a belly band but most often I prefer to allow the beauty of the cards to show through especially if I don't think the recipient will keep and use the box later. I put my favourite card at the front of the box and place an envelope showing from the back. If I stamp on the flap, I leave that side showing, if I stamp on the front, that faces out. If you don't have clear boxes or want to ship in a bubble mailer, glassine or chevron sacks are cute too. Bonus: If you decorate those, they can later be used to hold a small gift.

Hope this helps!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

The sets we've received were all one theme (sympathy) and a mix of the same colors and images (not on every card, but throughout the set). If you're doing mixed themes (occasions), think about who the cards are for. A lot of people send birthday cards. Some businesses send a lot of Thank-you cards. Older people and people with large families send a lot of sympathy cards (also people who are very religious). Thinking of You cards would probably work for anyone. I wouldn't do a set of cards for the same holiday other than Christmas. You could do one each for several holidays (Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually do a set where they are all very similar so that it seems like a set and ot just totally random, but I vary them in some way to keep it interesting and avoid making them look mass produced. An easy way to make them more versatile is to come up with design that does not include a sentiment!

Mom's bday set by happy-stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I've been thinking of doing note cards for MIL for mother's day. I had some when I was young. A piece of paper is folded into 4 and one quarter of one side is used as the card front. The remaining portion of the sheet can be used for a letter.

I thought I'd raid one of those packs of patterned paper to get a co-ordinated look without everything being identical and use some of the same paper to line envelopes. Also throw in some birthday and thank-you cards and some gift tags. Perhaps put it all in one of these Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials

I like the idea of the cards being from different sketches too - perhaps 3 or 4 each of 3 or 4 sketches, so that more than one can be sent to a person without them being 'the same as last year's' IYKWIM.

There are some magazines with great sets in them that might inspire.

Last edited by KoffeeKat; 04-12-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes