Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card making on a plane

I have to take an unexpected plane ride followed by a long car ride. My Christmas cards are in process but not finished. So my thought was to bring them with me but since you can't bring scissors or a paper cutter, and the little tables are so small I'm guessing it won't work either. Then I thought about Copics but bumps in the air or on the ground won't work.

So....for those who travel and create cards what have you found works while in the air, at the airport waiting, or while driving your car? Or should I just hit up the library for some books? Not sure if I can get anything done but would rather spend my time crafting but also don't want the TSA confiscating my supplies either.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I've seen many Stampin' Up! demos work on cards for swaps on the way to convention. Usually it's something easy like assembly of all the pieces that are already stamped and cut or the last bit of coloring (markers). Think assembly line and get all the pieces of your card cut and just bring card bases, tape, coloring supplies and your pen to get them all written and addressed while your gone. A fun project will definitely make the travel time pass more quickly.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

You can actually bring scissors with blades shorter than 4".

See the TSA's website: Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration

If you can stamp and cut everything before you go, you could spend your time gluing on the plane. Especially if you use dry, non-scented glues like small adhesive rollers, glue dots or double sided foam.

If you knit or crochet, you can bring knitting needles and/or crochet hooks on the plane.

Hope this helps : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally I would get some reading material. There is very little paper crafting I could do without impacting others. Unlike sewing/crochet/knitting our craft involves a lot of movement of supplies from one area to another.

Right now my Christmas cards are awaiting assembly, they are stamped, cut, and die cut and even though I could take a shoe box with me to assemble I just need space to work and keep my tools and materials in order.

I would consider stamping random images and taking them to color, most likely with pencils as they are less bulky than my markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I just got off a plane last night and NO WAY would I try to make anything on those tiny tables! I need room to spread out at least a little bit (at least my elbows, for cryin' out loud!), but they've crammed so many seats so close together any more that there is no way to do anything but concentrate on not bumping your neighbor. Get a book or - like I did - the latest special issue from Paper Crafts (which I NEVER buy, but decided I needed this issue) and peruse it for ideas for next go 'round...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mary Beth's idea about bringing a pen and the envelopes and getting them addressed (and postage stamped) would probably work on the small plane tables. Or simple coloring of images.

Anything more than that I think you might disturb the person in the next seat. I know my elbows "spread out" as I'm assembling, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally can't do any of that on the plane: anything but sitting still and sleeping makes me motion sick, and sometimes even that. ;)

I'd probably stick to coloring images and addressing envelopes: I wouldn't want to take anything with small pieces, in case I dropped them. I would look for a hard sided document case (I usually use one for my travel documents anyhow) to use as a lap desk when I am sitting in the airport.

And if you use LIQUID glue, check the size of the container to ensure 3oz or less, and be sure to pack it in your liquids bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've coloured with Copics on a plane before, and it's rather nerve-wracking, if only because I don't want to draw attention to myself. So I felt self-conscious and was always close to being motion-sick (would stop and start a lot to prevent it). But the pleasure of colouring made it okay. I haven't coloured on my last two trips because I managed to pack everything into one small bag, which left no room for time-passing supplies. (I know I get TWO carry-ons, but I prefer to have only one, for no fighting over overhead bins)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've cut and coloured on a plane. I had several plastic bags with me - one for the uncut version, one to put the cut items. And I had several extras, just in case I dropped something.

I've had no problems taking the SU! paper snips, with their little tip cover.

Airplane time has always been a standard to use to finish up swaps on the way to SU! events!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #10  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Even if you don't craft on the plane you might need some stress relief when you're in the hotel so pack TSA approved supplies and craft magazines (and post-it notes for marking pages that really inspire you.). It's been a long time since I've been on a plane and I didn't take anything except stuff to read because I prefer to sleep.

Safe travels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Thanks for the insight ladies. Think I will stick with addressing my envelopes and hitting the store for a couple magazines and the library for a book. And load my iPod with some relaxing Christmas music. It's going to be a rushed stressful trip so something relaxing sounds like the way to go. Appreciate the input. I've never tried to craft on a plane but I haven't flown in awhile either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bring something good to read like a novel-book, tablet or whatever. The seats are so darn cramped now that you have no elbow room to do much of anything else.
I wouldn't even attempt anything that needed precision and I'd be concerned that the paper could get bent with all the shuffling around and stowing of carry ons, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes