In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert
 
PedalPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,288
Question Can we talk paper trimmers....

I have gone thru several trimmers over the years and finally got a Tonic Guillotine trimmer about 3 years go. I loved it. But I'm falling out of love with it, as it isn't cutting as "square" as it once did. Has anyone else had this happen and if so, could you offer a solution?

And if you have another trimmer that you love--tell me all about it!

Thanks in advance!
__________________
my blog: www.sonyaspapertrail.blogspot.com
PedalPower is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Mad Swapper
 
SummerBreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,656
Default

Never found one I liked or loved. They never cut straight! I can cut better with a pair of scissors! LOL!
__________________
Poppett says meow.
Matt. 5:8
SummerBreeze is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
binkiemonstermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,059
Default

I am currently using a fiskars trimmer that I HATE! It works, but then it stops working good and the wire bends.....I can't wait until the new Stampin' Up trimmer is released!!!! I have heard good reviews about it!!!!
binkiemonstermom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,831
Default

I've had the Making Memories Precision Paper Trimmer for a long time, and I like it very much. The blade is self-sharpening, and it cuts easily and cleanly with no ragged edges. It will cut 12 x 12 paper, but folds in half, too. If you want something to throw in your bag and take with you, it might not be the trimmer for you, as it is a little heavy, but very sturdy.

Here is a link with reviews:

Making Memories - 12x12 Paper Trimmer

I found mine at Michaels and used a 50% coupon, so it only cost about $25. Not having to buy blades, that is a pretty good price for years of cutting! And it still works as well as the day I took it out of the box.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,304
Default

I love my Fiskars rotary trimmer (Fiskars Titanium 10-Sheet Rotary Trimmer, Plastic Base, 20 x 13 | Wayfair).
__________________
My Blog: Ribbons,etc.
smriti is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

I have the Making Memories cutter too and I love it. The only thing I can think of with your guillotine cutter is maybe the arm is loose and causing it to not cut straight.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I have the Making Memories cutter too and I love it. The only thing I can think of with your guillotine cutter is maybe the arm is loose and causing it to not cut straight.


I thought I remembered you had one, too, Cat. Maybe this is a good place to let anyone know who has this trimmer, that it may "squeek" when you run the cutting mechanism along the bar. If that happens, just put some Pledge furniture polish, WD 40 or even a few drops of oil on a paper towel and wipe carefully all along the bar. Magic, no squeeks!
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I thought I remembered you had one, too, Cat. Maybe this is a good place to let anyone know who has this trimmer, that it may "squeek" when you run the cutting mechanism along the bar. If that happens, just put some Pledge furniture polish, WD 40 or even a few drops of oil on a paper towel and wipe carefully all along the bar. Magic, no squeeks!
I know! It was like running your fingernails on a chalk board when I first got it. I did use sewing machine oil I think on it, but this last time I ran a block of parafin wax along the rod and it hasn't squeeked since.
Correction, I used the stuff they spray on electronics when button start not working (the first time)- I don't know what its called but hubby uses it on his stuff and its oily so I figured it would work.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Crimping Master
 
Inkin One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: small town..SC..
Posts: 1,115
Default

Ladies thanks for the recommendations on the MM trimmer! I have a Fiskars and I too HATE IT. Now I realize there is ocassional "user error" here I have never been able to cut anything straight in my entire life..however, the usefullness ( and I use that term lightly) of this trimmer is far outweighed by the need to CONSTANTLY replace the darn cutting blades. OMG .cut 10 pieces of paper..replace blade..cut 10 pieces of paper..replace blade.

I do have a question though. How does this trimmer hold up to thicker paper? I use a lot of watercolor paper and acrylic paper ( think a bit heavier than 300lb watercolor paper), and wonder if that will dull the blade? In all fairness to the little Fiskars trimmer I do ( sheephishly) suspect that my choice of papers is what dulls the blade so frequently. I am in desperate need of a trimmer and just can't justify the cost of some of those really expensive ones..but with a coupon at M's or a good online sale I could so justify $50.oo.
Inkin One is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Ladies thanks for the recommendations on the MM trimmer! I have a Fiskars and I too HATE IT. Now I realize there is ocassional "user error" here I have never been able to cut anything straight in my entire life..however, the usefullness ( and I use that term lightly) of this trimmer is far outweighed by the need to CONSTANTLY replace the darn cutting blades. OMG .cut 10 pieces of paper..replace blade..cut 10 pieces of paper..replace blade.

I do have a question though. How does this trimmer hold up to thicker paper? I use a lot of watercolor paper and acrylic paper ( think a bit heavier than 300lb watercolor paper), and wonder if that will dull the blade? In all fairness to the little Fiskars trimmer I do ( sheephishly) suspect that my choice of papers is what dulls the blade so frequently. I am in desperate need of a trimmer and just can't justify the cost of some of those really expensive ones..but with a coupon at M's or a good online sale I could so justify $50.oo.
Well, the Making memories is a self-sharpening blade, so each time you use it, it gets sharpened. I often use 200# cardstock and ceral box card to make boxes and I've been abusing my trimmer for a couple years and it cuts just as cleanly as the day I took it out of the box. One tip I will give you if you do go with the MM trimmer: the top and bottom rails are not square so you can't really use those for lining up against to cut. There are grid marks on the base, but if your cut falls between the grid and/or is shorter than 12", its better to use the magnetic ruler that comes with it to line up the measurement and butt the paper agains that. I'm not that concerned myself since the I have a pretty good eye for square & measurement from years of sewing and drafting so I don't bother, but if its important, then that the way to get the most precise cuts. Its also a time saver if you're doing multiple cuts at the same measurement - you don't have to re-align the paper everytime.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,962
Default

I had the MM trimmer. I hated it. I think I got a bad one. It was so bad I don't want another one. I have gone through trimmer after trimmer and I don't like them at all.

I have a Martha Stewart trimmer. It's ok but not exciting. I use my Xacto knife and ruler. I get straighter cuts than using a trimmer.

I am looking for a nice guillotine trimmer.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: outback Australia
Posts: 2,296
Default

I went through trimmer after trimmer and was never entirely happy with any of them and ended up with a guillotine from an office supply and have had it for over 5 years and it's still going strong. The only down side of it is that it is tricky to do smaller cuts.
Metalcharm is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor
 
plumcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 171
Default

I have had my Carl trimmer for about 10 years and that sucker still works good to this day. I decided to get a bigger trimmer a few years ago from Oozak, and its the Dahle 440. I love it! It does take up a bit of room, but its worth it.

It cuts straight, self sharpening, and it seems to be well built. The only thing is it doesn't cut very small pieces very well. But i have a small 6 inch Tonic guillotine for the small things.
__________________
Jen
plumcrazy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva
 
Jill with a G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,471
Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G
Default

I wish you could try some trimmers out before you purchase them! Fiskars has several types of paper cutters! I am not a fan of the Fiskars scorer and cutter. I don't like those blades. They have to be replaced often! However, I do love my Fiskars Rotary Cutter! It's not the biggest one, but I certainly like how it cuts. I haven't had to change the blade all that often. In fact it just really needs cleaning from time to time and when I do that (very carefully) it works just like new again. It cuts multiple sheets pretty well too. It does not score at all, but I have all the Scor-Pal scorers and they are my favorites.
Guillotine cutters may do fairly well, but with multiples, I sometimes get crooked cuts. I have heard the best reviews on rotary blade trimmers. I like my Fiskars because it was more affordable than some others, and I have had it for three or four years now and it still works like a charm!
__________________
Gillian W.
St Louis Missouri
My Blog
Jill with a G is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Proud Fan Club Member
 
dougnat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 8,541
Default

I have had great luck with Dahle trimmers...but just got the cutterpillar pro and I am in LOVE!!! I did get it when they were running a half price promo.
__________________
natalie
my gallery
dougnat diaries
dougnat is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Crimping Master
 
Inkin One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: small town..SC..
Posts: 1,115
Default

Thanks Cat for the answers! I think I will prbably try one of the MM's
Dee Ann is it possible you just got a wonky trimmer?
Inkin One is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I had the MM trimmer. I hated it. I think I got a bad one. It was so bad I don't want another one. I have gone through trimmer after trimmer and I don't like them at all.

I have a Martha Stewart trimmer. It's ok but not exciting. I use my Xacto knife and ruler. I get straighter cuts than using a trimmer.

I am looking for a nice guillotine trimmer.
There were some people on here that said theirs was really off and would tear the paper or not give clean cuts. The problem was the blade housing wasn't seated on the glide rod properly. It was a simple fix to remove the housing and put it back on and then that seemed to fix the problem. Perhaps that was what was wrong with yours.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkin One View Post
Thanks Cat for the answers! I think I will prbably try one of the MM's
Dee Ann is it possible you just got a wonky trimmer?
I want to chime in and say I had a wonderful experience with customer service at Making Memories.

This happened several years ago, and the problem was quickly resolved for future trimmers. Evidently the very first MM trimmer I bought was part of a small, defective batch. The measuring grid lines on the base started to fade and wear off quickly, where you put your hand to hold the paper steady.

I contacted MM on their website and filled out a complaint form. They responded very quickly, didn't ask for any documentation, sales receipt, picture, etc. I didn't even have to send back my defective trimmer!

They sent me a brand new trimmer in a few days! You just can't beat that.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jennik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 11,694
Default

I love my "old" CM 12" trimmer. But when I run out of replacement blades, I am gonna be in BIG trouble. I don't like the "new" CM trimmer, the swing arm is wimpy and moves, so your cuts are wonky. My BFF is looking for a new trimmer, so I am going to tell her about MM trimmer. I am have to get one, too!!

jennik
jennik is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
There were some people on here that said theirs was really off and would tear the paper or not give clean cuts. The problem was the blade housing wasn't seated on the glide rod properly. It was a simple fix to remove the housing and put it back on and then that seemed to fix the problem. Perhaps that was what was wrong with yours.
My blade chipped and the glide rod broke. When I bought it she was perfect. Gave me perfect cuts. I had no problems. I was happy with the trimmer. Then one month later it just broke. I only used HL's version of Bazzil cardstock & Georgia Pacific. I thought I got a really bad trimmer. I definitely don't want another one. I like my X-acto knife. I do like MM's other products.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mtns of SC
Posts: 198
Default

Previously had used all the CM trimmers + the HUGE Fiskars trimmer. Now use the SU trimmer exclusively. Gives me the best of all worlds and doesn't take up much space. Should say that this not be SU's latest trimmer -- bought it ~ a yr ago.
9or18holes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
sf9erfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aloha, OR
Posts: 12,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedalPower View Post
I have gone thru several trimmers over the years and finally got a Tonic Guillotine trimmer about 3 years go. I loved it. But I'm falling out of love with it, as it isn't cutting as "square" as it once did. Has anyone else had this happen and if so, could you offer a solution?

And if you have another trimmer that you love--tell me all about it!

Thanks in advance!
I am noticing the SAME thing with my Tonic!. I think after 4 years of thousands of cuts things are a bit "loose" at the extension arm (on the left) and that is causing my paper to fluctuate a bit with my cuts. Honestly I am just going to buy another one. I have tried MANY cutters and the Tonic is by far the best in my opinion. But even the best has it's limit!
__________________
sf9erfan is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2
Default

Fiskars just came out with the Procision trimmer with self-sharpening blade. I haven't tried it, but reviews are good. It's pricey and seems similar to the MM trimmer in concept.
jkwms is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
My blade chipped and the glide rod broke. When I bought it she was perfect. Gave me perfect cuts. I had no problems. I was happy with the trimmer. Then one month later it just broke. I only used HL's version of Bazzil cardstock & Georgia Pacific. I thought I got a really bad trimmer. I definitely don't want another one. I like my X-acto knife. I do like MM's other products.
That really sucks. I'm scared of my exacto knife. Years ago I was using it to make a paper quilt for a wall hanging and the knife jumped over the ruler and right across my fingers. I wasn't seriously cut because I wasn't using a whole lot of pressure, but it sure scared me and there was A LOT of blood. I've also cut the skin off the tip off my finger the same way with my rotary cutter once when I was cutting fabric for a quilt. Luckily that didn't bleed onto my fabric, but the nerve ending were sure sensitive.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Rubber Obsessor
 
craftgranny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 179
Default

I have two trimmers. Both Fiskers. Like them both but prefer the rotary cut one the best. Sometimes wish I had the smaller version that is why I have the second one. I use it for traveling. I have used my rotary cutter for an extra curricular group I work with at school. The students loved it and abused it, but it still works great. The blade stays sharp for a long time. You can get scoring blades and fancy edge blades for it also but that means having to change blades back and forth. I do not have a score-pal yet so use my portable fiskers for that task. The cutting blades on this one need to be replaced quite often and they are not that cheep so do not use it more often then needed.
craftgranny is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,592
Default

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Genesis trimmer. But when I bought mine the 12" was only $130. Still, having had it, I would replace it even at the current price if I ever had to.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
Pearl-ExPert
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
That really sucks. I'm scared of my exacto knife. Years ago I was using it to make a paper quilt for a wall hanging and the knife jumped over the ruler and right across my fingers. I wasn't seriously cut because I wasn't using a whole lot of pressure, but it sure scared me and there was A LOT of blood. I've also cut the skin off the tip off my finger the same way with my rotary cutter once when I was cutting fabric for a quilt. Luckily that didn't bleed onto my fabric, but the nerve ending were sure sensitive.
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! That would traumatize me too. My cutter tool serious injury has been from a paper trimmer. I had one of the Fiskar Rotary timmers. I put the blade handle down, the blade caught my finger and took a big piece of skin off. I blame this on user error, lol. I don't like the Fiskar Rotary trimmer anymore.

I was terrified of using an X-acto knife. I ended up surprising myself and can actually use it. I am still waiting for the day of cut fingers. Same thing with my Rotary cutter. I am actually terrified of that thing. One of my friends practically cut off her finger with a rotary cutter. Then she laughed it off like it was a normal quilting injury and she kept saying she was a quilting warrior. I saw her injury and I don't want to be a quilting warrior. She had three surgeries over it. She is braver than I am, lol.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! That would traumatize me too. My cutter tool serious injury has been from a paper trimmer. I had one of the Fiskar Rotary timmers. I put the blade handle down, the blade caught my finger and took a big piece of skin off. I blame this on user error, lol. I don't like the Fiskar Rotary trimmer anymore.

I was terrified of using an X-acto knife. I ended up surprising myself and can actually use it. I am still waiting for the day of cut fingers. Same thing with my Rotary cutter. I am actually terrified of that thing. One of my friends practically cut off her finger with a rotary cutter. Then she laughed it off like it was a normal quilting injury and she kept saying she was a quilting warrior. I saw her injury and I don't want to be a quilting warrior. She had three surgeries over it. She is braver than I am, lol.
Yeah, that's why I've only made 5 quilts...
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
Pearl-ExPert
 
sarahbe492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,385
Default

I have the Stampin' Up! Tabletop Cutter (Tonic's Guillotine is the exact same cutter, I understand). It is my holy grail of paper cutter's and I've had it for almost 5 years now! It too has a self sharpening blade - if your blade isn't sharp it might cause your card stock to "pull" out of square. Try just running it up and down pressing the edges together so that it really sharpens (I don't normally need to do this but it's just an idea for you). If you want more sharp - cut aluminum foil with it. Also try tightening the screw that holds the arm on - if it's gone loose that might cause the card stock to not be cut square too!
__________________
Stampin' Up Demo since 2/27/08!!!
Visit my blog at http://www.SarahLovesToStamp.com
sarahbe492 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Pearl-ExPert
 
sarahbe492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! That would traumatize me too. My cutter tool serious injury has been from a paper trimmer. I had one of the Fiskar Rotary timmers. I put the blade handle down, the blade caught my finger and took a big piece of skin off. I blame this on user error, lol. I don't like the Fiskar Rotary trimmer anymore.

I was terrified of using an X-acto knife. I ended up surprising myself and can actually use it. I am still waiting for the day of cut fingers. Same thing with my Rotary cutter. I am actually terrified of that thing. One of my friends practically cut off her finger with a rotary cutter. Then she laughed it off like it was a normal quilting injury and she kept saying she was a quilting warrior. I saw her injury and I don't want to be a quilting warrior. She had three surgeries over it. She is braver than I am, lol.
Holy cramoly that's intense! WOWZA! I wouldn't be all about surgeries inflicted by my craft! The guillotine one I recommended above is so so awesome but is pretty dang sharp - I've never done serious damage though - certainly not requiring surgery. I'm frankly glad that you're more scared than daredevil though - it's definitely safer!
__________________
Stampin' Up Demo since 2/27/08!!!
Visit my blog at http://www.SarahLovesToStamp.com
sarahbe492 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #31
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
binkiemonstermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,059
Default

Gale- I have looked at the gensis one several times.....is it worth the money?? How easy is it to see where you cut??
binkiemonstermom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
Gabfest Goddess
 
craftymomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 7,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbe492 View Post
I have the Stampin' Up! Tabletop Cutter (Tonic's Guillotine is the exact same cutter, I understand). It is my holy grail of paper cutter's and I've had it for almost 5 years now! It too has a self sharpening blade - if your blade isn't sharp it might cause your card stock to "pull" out of square. Try just running it up and down pressing the edges together so that it really sharpens (I don't normally need to do this but it's just an idea for you). If you want more sharp - cut aluminum foil with it. Also try tightening the screw that holds the arm on - if it's gone loose that might cause the card stock to not be cut square too!
I've been using my SU! tabletop cutter more the last couple of weeks (other trimmer needs a new blade and to lazy to go buy one) I really like my tabletop and have gotten more comfortable using it now too.
__________________
Mary
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
My blogs: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
craftymomto2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #33
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkiemonstermom View Post
Gale- I have looked at the gensis one several times.....is it worth the money?? How easy is it to see where you cut??
I think it is. You can see where you're cutting more easily with the edgelight but even without it, the cut area is completely open so you can see it from the top. If you have it, the edgelight will shine through photos or lighter cardstock. The only other trimmers I've tried are the Carl cutter, and several Fiskars models though-do I don't have a lot to compare with it. I've had my Genesis for about 10 yrs and I'm still on the original blade.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
 
whoistracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 8,515
Default

I had the Tonic guillotine, too, and had that same problem. Started after the second year maybe. All my cuts weren't square and it bothered me. It was still sharp, just seemed to be misaligned somehow.

I bought a Dahle a few months ago and love it. It's heavy duty and really stable. Cuts great.
__________________
Who is Tracy? Blog | Home of the Monday Mood Board Challenge
*i {heart} papers Design Team Coordinator & Member*
whoistracy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #35
Splitcoast Team Member
 
stamp_momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I think it is. You can see where you're cutting more easily with the edgelight but even without it, the cut area is completely open so you can see it from the top. If you have it, the edgelight will shine through photos or lighter cardstock. The only other trimmers I've tried are the Carl cutter, and several Fiskars models though-do I don't have a lot to compare with it. I've had my Genesis for about 10 yrs and I'm still on the original blade.
So, will you convince my husband I need one? Trimmers have been the only crafting item where I've never really found a decent mainstay.... sigh
__________________
Lori Craig Splitcoast Advertising Manager
blogging and helping your favorite crafty companies succeed in business

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
stamp_momma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
binkiemonstermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,059
Default

I might need to ask DH for it for Christmas!!!
binkiemonstermom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #37
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,592
Default

This is one thing that I think my dh doesn't need to know every detail about. LOL.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,181
Default

I've been extremely please with my Fiskars rotary trimmer. It is OLD 12 years I think. Anyway they no longer make the cutting pad for it. To get good cuts, you need to change the pads as they wear out.

So I've been shopping around for another one. My friend has a Carl heavy duty rotary trimmer and I really like it. It even cuts through tablets!

Carl DC-210 12 inch Heavy Duty Rotary Trimmer DC210
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 170
Default

I have this X-ACTO heavy duty cutter and it's amazing.

Amazon.com: X-ACTO Heavy Duty Wood trimmer 12" boxed (26312): Office Products

Been using it for several years, and I can cut through the thick chipboard with it too.

I bought a brand new one at a flea market as a backup for just $8. I thought about reselling it when I first bought it because I'd make a big profit considering the price of it new, but I couldn't part with it. In case anything happened to the one I'm using now, i wanted the safety net of the backup.
__________________
Visit my blog: http://www.avegasgirlatheart.com/
mswhittaker23 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,181
Default

Well, this morning I watched the video about the new paper trimmer from SU. It scores and cuts, and would eliminate the need to have both a score board and a cutter on one of my tables. That would be great, I'd love to conserve space as my studio is only 12 by 12. But..... I would really like a rotary cutter so I could cut several sheets at once and being able to cut down tablets would be wonderful. I kind of think I'd like two cutters, but that seems so impractical and wasteful.

In other words, I am still undecided, which is a good think because I'm broke at the moment! lol
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off