In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Holly440
  • 2 Post By InThayneCropper
  • 3 Post By buggainok
  • 2 Post By Ldumont999
  • 1 Post By homestead
  • 2 Post By dillyb5
  • 1 Post By winnieu
  • 1 Post By InThayneCropper
  • 1 Post By buggainok
  • 1 Post By barbaralynn
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thayne, Wyoming
Posts: 45
Default Can someone help with my ATG frustrations?

I posted this in the ATG tool thread sticky and got no response, so I thought I would appeal to those of you perusing the general stamping thread, as I know you have my answers! Please help me so I won't be too embarrassed to attend my niece's wedding!

Here's the original post:

[I]OK, I have read through this entire sticky thread and know where to buy refills and reload my pink Scotch ATG. However, I do not have answers to much more basic questions on the ATG, and I am hoping this community can help me. I am desperate because I am making 125 invitations for my niece's wedding, and there are many components that need adhesive. I am almost about to buy 20 refills for my tape runner and bag the ATG altogether. Here is what is happening:

*I get blobs of adhesive at the beginning and the end of lines
* I can't seem to line up the adhesive to the end - it comes in about half an inch and angles even more toward the center
* Sometimes the adhesive doesn't release and the entire line pulls up, and then blobs even more
* I tried angling the ATG to be perpendicular, and I also angled it way down to be nearly parallel, but still have these problems. Not sure which is the right way to do it.

Can you help out a frustrated ATG novice?
InThayneCropper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Holly440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 563
Default

Maybe this video will help:
How to Use a Bone Folder and ATG Gun - KreatesKards Tutorial - YouTube
Holly440 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Here is a good video on youtube. She shows how to load the gun, and if you go to about 3-1/2 minutes in on the video, she demonstrates how to actually use the gun. Hope it works for you. Watch it a couple of times and see if it helps.

Then practice on some scrap cardstock. Good luck.

How to Load and Use a Scotch Advanced Tape Glider - YouTube
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 203
Default

I was having the same problem. I just watched both videos and problem solved! It's all in how you release at the end.
Jayelle821 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Crimping Master
 
cheermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,085
Default

I never did "get" my ATG gun no matter how many times I watched the video. I finally sold it at a yard sale.
cheermom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thayne, Wyoming
Posts: 45
Default

Both of those videos were extremely helpful, and my niece will be grateful for your help. Each video had a different suggestion for releasing the tape at the end. One said to angle up and the other said to let go and keep pulling straight. FYI, the pulling straight option worked much better for me! Thank you so much for the quick responses!!
InThayneCropper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and RiverIsis like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThayneCropper View Post
Both of those videos were extremely helpful, and my niece will be grateful for your help. Each video had a different suggestion for releasing the tape at the end. One said to angle up and the other said to let go and keep pulling straight. FYI, the pulling straight option worked much better for me! Thank you so much for the quick responses!!
There really is a learning curve on how to use this (great) tool. It is not really just grab it and go, lol. Glad the videos helped you. The more you practice with it, the more natural the motions will feel to you. My method is to just keep pulling straight, too.

And I'll bet you are probably just a little more anxious than usual since you are "under the gun" to produce all those wedding invitations!

We are all rooting for you - you can do it.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kitkat55, gobarb26 and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Cardstock Collector
 
jlgccb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Default

I was having the same problems (and more) as InThayneCropper and attributed it to being left handed. I will watch the videos recommended above. Thanks.
jlgccb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac
 
Harley Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hangin' out with Elvis in Memphis
Posts: 286
Default

Love my ATG. It takes some practice, but is oh so worth it. That first video is really good at showing you how it works. Just remember to release the trigger and then pull away.
__________________
Monika
Live to Ride, Ride to Stamp & Scrap
BLOG: http://paperchrome.blogspot.com
Harley Queen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert
 
Ldumont999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jersey Girl
Posts: 2,700
Default

I bought my ATG gun a little over two years ago. I was SO frustrated that I wanted to trash it. Now I can't live without my ATG. Once I got used to using it, I ordered 144 rolls of ATG tape from The Tape Depot and I'm just now getting to the point where I'll have to order more. LOL I was a big investment (cost wise) but saved me a fortune over buying the one-off tape runners. And this tape really STICKS. Its as good as the red-line tape. Use the video and keep at it. You won't regret it.
__________________
Blessings from... Louise
Jehovah-Meqaddeshkem (The Lord Makes Me Holy)
Author of Faith Dipped Chocolate: Rich Encouragement to Sweeten Your Day & Grace by the Cup: A Break From the Daily Grind
Ldumont999 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
llasanford and sprtchick like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess
 
homestead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgccb View Post
I was having the same problems (and more) as InThayneCropper and attributed it to being left handed. I will watch the videos recommended above. Thanks.
I'm left handed also and had all the same issues, it really does take practice. I love my ATG. I think those videos help.
__________________
Support our Troops.

Marcie
homestead is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
llasanford likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Posts: 214
Default

after making 125 invitations, you will be an expert and wonder how you lived without it lol
dillyb5 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sewflake and kitkat55 like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 816
Default

I haven't had time to watch the videos yet, so perhaps they mentioned this tip there. I find that I do better if I am standing up, or on a higher stool when I use my tape gun. I can use it sitting, but just find I have less problems when I stand. I would guess it has something to do with the angle I hold the tool at when I am standing compared to when I am sitting.

Good luck with the wedding. Two of my daughters got married last summer and we did every invitation, program, and decoration. Thank goodness for my ATG. We used it constantly and it made life much easier than it would have been without one!
annie* is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bear View Post
after you've had it a while, you'll find you use it for everything! we even use it for wrapping gifts, especially handy at Christmas. easy peasy present wrapping!
I've even used it to hang party decorations for a shower!!!
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Apr 26, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,486
Default

Enjoy the wedding!
__________________
Winnie
http://www.winniesinkyfingers.com
winnieu is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kitkat55 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Splitcoast Team Member
 
stamp_momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldumont999 View Post
..I ordered 144 rolls of ATG tape...
Good heavens! That's some serious stickage!
__________________
Lori Craig • Splitcoast Advertising Manager
blogging and helping your favorite crafty companies succeed in business

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
stamp_momma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: springfield IL
Posts: 645
Default

I love my ATG too! It has a little learing curve but I can't live without it either.

I have a funny ATG story - my 15 year old son was doing a school project at night and sometimes he uses my craft supplies (never a good idea - I know )
The next afternoon I go to my craftroom and there is my tape gun with the tape all strung out on the table.
__________________
Happy Creating!!! - Kim
kimizzle is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thayne, Wyoming
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks again for the wonderful ideas! I am getting better every day at using my ATG, and now I am going back over the many posts in the sticky about the best place to order refills. I am a convert! Thanks also for the sweet messages for the wedding. She is getting married outdoors at a nearby ski resort, so handmade invitations will fit into the rustic theme. I just didn't want the invites to be so rustic that there were glue blobs all over! I was saved by SCS and all of you helpful bloggers!
InThayneCropper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kitkat55 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThayneCropper View Post
Thanks again for the wonderful ideas! I am getting better every day at using my ATG, and now I am going back over the many posts in the sticky about the best place to order refills. I am a convert! Thanks also for the sweet messages for the wedding. She is getting married outdoors at a nearby ski resort, so handmade invitations will fit into the rustic theme. I just didn't want the invites to be so rustic that there were glue blobs all over! I was saved by SCS and all of you helpful bloggers!
I have ordered from Tape Depot from their ebay store every time I need tape. The price is good, and it's free shipping. I get 12 rolls at a time. It sounds like a lot, but I go through it pretty quickly sometimes, and I don't want to run out.

12 Rolls Craft Tape ATG Photo Tape 1 4" x 36yd | eBay
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012
 
barbaralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wonderful Waukesha Wisconsin
Posts: 46,032
Default

I just ordered from a new place that has a cheaper price than Tape Depot. It is The Tape Jungle

If you sign up for their newsletter, they often send 10% off codes. I sent them an email to ask if there was a new code as I missed out on one around St. Patrick's Day and wanted to order the case of tape. They sent me a code for 10%, so I saved $16.60 and still got free shipping. I have received emails with 10% off codes a few times since then. Great Service!
barbaralynn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaralynn View Post
I just ordered from a new place that has a cheaper price than Tape Depot. It is The Tape Jungle

If you sign up for their newsletter, they often send 10% off codes. I sent them an email to ask if there was a new code as I missed out on one around St. Patrick's Day and wanted to order the case of tape. They sent me a code for 10%, so I saved $16.60 and still got free shipping. I have received emails with 10% off codes a few times since then. Great Service!
Barbara, thank you for sharing the link. My problem is that I don't order a whole case of 144 rolls of tape, which you have to do to get the really cheap price.

Their price for 12 rolls, which is what I usually buy, is a little more than the Tape Depot, $27.96 vs. $26.99.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast
 
sprtchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wait! Let me check my barcode.....
Posts: 11,423
Default

I usually order 144 rolls from tape depot too. Since all my stamping buddies chip in it really isntvtoo bad. Tape jungle will save me about 10.00 more. I will probably give them a try.
Blessings
__________________
Amber Shaw
clear envelopes now at:
www.chicandsavvycrafters.com
sprtchick is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 364
Default

I placed an order with Tape Depot last month. My confirmation email came from Alanson Products - Alan@tapejungle.com. I'm thinking these are the same company - Tape Depot is in Miami and Tape Jungle in Miami Lakes. If you are ordering the 144 it is cheaper from Tape Jungle, but smaller quantities are cheaper from Tape Depot.
__________________
Carol
my blog
my swagbucks referral
ladybugtwin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugtwin View Post
I placed an order with Tape Depot last month. My confirmation email came from Alanson Products - Alan@tapejungle.com. I'm thinking these are the same company - Tape Depot is in Miami and Tape Jungle in Miami Lakes. If you are ordering the 144 it is cheaper from Tape Jungle, but smaller quantities are cheaper from Tape Depot.
I think you are right. When I first ordered from Tape Depot, years ago, I ordered from their online web store. Then I discovered that it was cheaper to order from their ebay listing, which didn't make much sense to me. Now we have Tape Jungle with slightly different pricing according to quantity.

I think sometimes companies set up other outlets for their products under different names to capture more of the market for their products.

Just think about the Lexus automobile. It has a reputation for being a "luxury" auto, and many people do not know it is made by Toyota, which makes lots of economy cars.

Anyhow, these online stores are all cheaper than buying the tape a roll at a time from Michaels, lol.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012
 
barbaralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wonderful Waukesha Wisconsin
Posts: 46,032
Default

Alan is who sent me the code to use for 10% off. Must be one in the same. If you sign up for their emails, you might get a code to make some of the smaller quantities cheaper too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugtwin View Post
I placed an order with Tape Depot last month. My confirmation email came from Alanson Products - Alan@tapejungle.com. I'm thinking these are the same company - Tape Depot is in Miami and Tape Jungle in Miami Lakes. If you are ordering the 144 it is cheaper from Tape Jungle, but smaller quantities are cheaper from Tape Depot.
barbaralynn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #26
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auburn, ME
Posts: 75
Default

Can you use the tape from the tape jungle in the pink Scotch ATG? Great price - I'd order the largest case if I can use it.
pennydouph is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #27
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012
 
barbaralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wonderful Waukesha Wisconsin
Posts: 46,032
Default

Yes--the pink ATG is the same as the red one. I have two pink ones--I keep one in my crafting bag I take to classes and the other is on my craft table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydouph View Post
Can you use the tape from the tape jungle in the pink Scotch ATG? Great price - I'd order the largest case if I can use it.
barbaralynn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pennydouph likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Matboard Maniac
 
STYXROCKSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dark side of the moon
Posts: 248
Default

I'm tired of fighting this thing. The tape ripped and I am still waitting( 5 months now) for my husband to fix it. It gets 1 more try and then if I can't figure it out, it goes on ebay.
__________________
www.operationwritehome.org Support our deployed service members
www.localharvest.org Support organic farmer's
STYXROCKSME is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #29
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auburn, ME
Posts: 75
Default

Thanks Barbara for the quick answer. I'm off to order...
pennydouph is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #30
Die Cut Diva
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYXROCKSME View Post
I'm tired of fighting this thing. The tape ripped and I am still waitting( 5 months now) for my husband to fix it. It gets 1 more try and then if I can't figure it out, it goes on ebay.
What do you need him to fix? Do you want to know how to re-thread the tape if it breaks? I (and I'm sure many others on this thread) can help you with that.
__________________
Jeanette
Scrapjanny is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
Gabfest Goddess
 
Cathy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,207
Default

Good videos. I love my gun - didn't at first, but sure do now. I hope those of you having issues will stick with it.
__________________
Cathy H

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Cathy H is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #32
Rubber Obsessor
 
Grumpygirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 146
Default

I have had the ATG since last November and even a high amount of practice has not solved my problem of not being able to use it and not have the tape veer off the page. Yes, I am left handed. I've been reading and reading posts here and all over the internet about how some left handers don't have too much of a problem with the ATG, or can adjust to using it with practice. This completely baffled me until my husband reminded me that I am what is referred to as "Cross-Dominant". Cross-dominant can refer to several scenarios, but the term is fairly well known in the shooting world and there it almost always means your dominant eye is on the opposite side of your body as your dominant hand. I am very, very left dominant in just about everything except for my vision. The vast majority of human beings have the same hand and eye dominance, no matter what that dominance might be.

People that are cross dominant with their vision and handedness tend to have more problems doing anything that requires aim than people whose hand and eye dominance are on the same side of their bodies. Practice can improve aim for the hand/eye cross dominant, but only some, and less so for lefties that are right-eyed. Because we can't compensate with very good aim, we lefties with this condition usually need to have our gadgets optimized for left-handed use, or at least be neutral. (I simply cannot use right handed scissors and be expected to cut a straight line.) The ATG is most definitely not hand dominant neutral. The ATG could not be designed in a worse way for my particular hand/eye dominance situation. I hold it in my left hand, but my main field of vision is skewed to the right side. Basicially, I barely see the applicator rollers in my field of vision and that is why I cannot keep the line of tape on the page even if my life depended on it. If the applicator roller were "centered" the way it is for the Glue Glider Pro or the Xyron Mega Runner, I would be able to adapt with practice since the tape applicator would actually be adequately in my line of sight. My husband and I talked about this quite a bit and he is willing to bet that the lefties that like the ATG are also left-eyed. Left-eyed left-handers are just going to be able to see the tape apply better than I ever will, and practice will not change that. My husband thinks my only option would be to wear a patch on my right eye for several months to a year and actually train my left eye to become the dominant one. Apparently, some cross dominant people do this to improve their firearms aim. Unfortunately this has a very bad effect on their ability to do anything spatial (like drive a car or walk without tripping!) while their eyes are adjusting, and I find it hard to imagine that doing all that just to be able to use a certain tape applicator for a hobby is worth the major life disruption.
Grumpygirl73 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess
 
homestead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 720
Default

I love my ATG and am left handed and right eye dominant. One thing I do is have my ATG horizontal to me and have it vertical to them. In holding it this way I can see right where my rollers are. I didn't even think about how I hold it until you said you can't see your rollers. I went and got my ATG and realized I hold it different then others. I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73 View Post
I have had the ATG since last November and even a high amount of practice has not solved my problem of not being able to use it and not have the tape veer off the page. Yes, I am left handed. I've been reading and reading posts here and all over the internet about how some left handers don't have too much of a problem with the ATG, or can adjust to using it with practice. This completely baffled me until my husband reminded me that I am what is referred to as "Cross-Dominant". Cross-dominant can refer to several scenarios, but the term is fairly well known in the shooting world and there it almost always means your dominant eye is on the opposite side of your body as your dominant hand. I am very, very left dominant in just about everything except for my vision. The vast majority of human beings have the same hand and eye dominance, no matter what that dominance might be.

People that are cross dominant with their vision and handedness tend to have more problems doing anything that requires aim than people whose hand and eye dominance are on the same side of their bodies. Practice can improve aim for the hand/eye cross dominant, but only some, and less so for lefties that are right-eyed. Because we can't compensate with very good aim, we lefties with this condition usually need to have our gadgets optimized for left-handed use, or at least be neutral. (I simply cannot use right handed scissors and be expected to cut a straight line.) The ATG is most definitely not hand dominant neutral. The ATG could not be designed in a worse way for my particular hand/eye dominance situation. I hold it in my left hand, but my main field of vision is skewed to the right side. Basicially, I barely see the applicator rollers in my field of vision and that is why I cannot keep the line of tape on the page even if my life depended on it. If the applicator roller were "centered" the way it is for the Glue Glider Pro or the Xyron Mega Runner, I would be able to adapt with practice since the tape applicator would actually be adequately in my line of sight. My husband and I talked about this quite a bit and he is willing to bet that the lefties that like the ATG are also left-eyed. Left-eyed left-handers are just going to be able to see the tape apply better than I ever will, and practice will not change that. My husband thinks my only option would be to wear a patch on my right eye for several months to a year and actually train my left eye to become the dominant one. Apparently, some cross dominant people do this to improve their firearms aim. Unfortunately this has a very bad effect on their ability to do anything spatial (like drive a car or walk without tripping!) while their eyes are adjusting, and I find it hard to imagine that doing all that just to be able to use a certain tape applicator for a hobby is worth the major life disruption.
__________________
Support our Troops.

Marcie
homestead is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaralynn View Post
Yes--the pink ATG is the same as the red one. I have two pink ones--I keep one in my crafting bag I take to classes and the other is on my craft table.
I have a pink ATG and I have a red one too they are similar but they take different tape. My red one takes wider tape then the pink one, and the red one costs more because of it. I love my red ATG, the pink one I could live without.
Jodi&jade is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #35
Rubber Obsessor
 
Grumpygirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
I love my ATG and am left handed and right eye dominant. One thing I do is have my ATG horizontal to me and have it vertical to them. In holding it this way I can see right where my rollers are. I didn't even think about how I hold it until you said you can't see your rollers. I went and got my ATG and realized I hold it different then others. I hope this helps!
Let me see if I am visualizing this correctly... you are applying the tape horizontally from right to left, then? You must have an eagle eye. That metal bracket that holds the rollers blocks my sight when I do it that way. It doesn't veer off the way applying it vertically from top to bottom does, rather it veers off horizontally towards me.

I did a little Google-ing and read some threads on picture framers' forums looking for ATG tips for lefties. Unfortunately, either the lefties didn't understand why some lefties had problems with the ATG and went on about how dense their fellow lefties were or they simply applied the tape by hand. Considering the cost of the refills for the 2 "hand neutral" devices (GGP & Xyron's), I'm seriously considering that option. 3M actually makes this glue tape with 3" cores for that very purpose.

If someone offered me a magic pill with no side effects that would rewire my brain and make me right handed tomorrow, I would gladly take it. You know, it took me until I was 25 to learn to use a can opener. At this rate I'll be crippled with arthritis and dementia before I learn to use the ATG. 40 years of this kind of thing again and again has gotten old.
Grumpygirl73 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #36
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi&jade View Post


I have a pink ATG and I have a red one too they are similar but they take different tape. My red one takes wider tape then the pink one, and the red one costs more because of it. I love my red ATG, the pink one I could live without.
Could it be that you have a "different" model in the Red ATG you are talking about? I have a Red ATG that I bought a couple of years ago, and yes, it was more expensive than the Pink one. But other than the color, the Red ATG and my Pink ATG are exactly the same size and use exactly the same 1/4" tape.

Here is a link to a Red ATG, Model 700, that indeed uses 1/2" and 3/4" tape.

The model I have, which is also Red, is Model 714, and it uses the 1/4" tape, just like the Pink ATG. I've posted a link to it as well.

Just didn't want folks to be confused. There seem to be 2 models of the Red ATG. One uses wider tape, and the other uses the 1/4" tape.

Scotch ATG 700 Adhesive Applicator, 1/2 in and 3/4 in wide rolls-Shop 3M

Scotch ATG 714 Adhesive Applicator, 1/4 in wide rolls-Shop 3M
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off