Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I share a "gush"? (kinda long)

It seems like there are a lot of threads about people being frustrated with the reactions they get to hand made cards. My brother is guilty of tossing in the trash immediately, so he doesn't get my cards anymore. I just want to share a rare "gush" that I got.

Let me start with some background: in our synogogue we have a special service called Ruach Shabbat. Ruach means spirit. Our "music director" (a volunteer) spent oodles of time to prepare the special tunes used for the prayers (normally we don't have musical instruments on Shabbat). The service has quickly become the most popular Friday night services. As part of an annual Mitzvah (good deed) Day sponsored by the Temple, John put together a Junior Ruach group made up of kids. He had to learn to re-write music in the keys of the instruments the kids are learning to play - trumpet, trombone, recorder, clarinet. The group then went to an assisted living facility to perform for residents. The amount of time he spent working with the kids, his infinite patience (yes, he has his own kids), and pure joy at their accomplishment was tremedous. So of course I had to make him a thank you card. I had all the parents of the Junior Ruach group sign it.

Well, I gave it to him and he was overwhelmed! He just gushed about how wonderful it was. He told me he was going to frame it! :eek: Every time I see him, he continues to gush. Now that's what it's all about, right? Making someone feel special. I just had to share. Oh, BTW, I didn't use a single stamp!

So share a gushing moment and let everyone feel the love!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I share a "gush"? (kinda long)-music-man-thank-you-small-.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

That is so great that he appreciated it! Good for you! What a happy moment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

This is wonderful! I'm sure that your card will continue to be very special to him, and a great way to commemorate an event which he can be very proud of. Hallmark just wouldn't have cut it this time! What a nice thing he did. I live in a small city, and belong to a small synagogue, with no ONE person with a musical background to take the helm. They kids would love it, I'm sure. Can you send John here??? Oh, and can you come with him to make the card?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope, sorry...keeping him here. ;) As for the card, I'll bet you can do that yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is so sweet! Doesn't it just make your day? My MIL always gushes over my cards and she has a special box that she keeps all of them in. She shows them to all her friends. I love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Your kindness and beautiful card really touched the guy. How great for both of you!

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

It's an awesome card. It does feel good when you get that kind of response. I have a friend who "gushes" over my cards and they aren't all that great. Sounds likes John is a real treasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

That's so sweet! I'm so glad that your card meant so much to someone who really went above and beyond for the kids and the community!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Nice to know when one is appreciated, isn't it? I've trained my sister to return my cards if she's in the tossing out mood. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Default sharing a "gush"

Awwww, that is so great!!

I recently made an accordian-style birthday card for my sister's 50th birthday, CASED somewhat from debbiedee -- thanks debbiedee (see her card at: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers.

I had never made this kind of card before, and it probably took me a month to get it completed, including wandering around in scrapbooking stores looking for patterned paper that would match the SU solid colours I had planned to use. Along with lots of other details, I tucked a handwritten note into a vellum pocket expressing my appreciation for her.

My sis and her family drove here from two provinces away (yes, we're in Canada) to celebrate Easter and her birthday with my two brothers and their families and me. It was a big occasion for her.

When I gave her the card she was pretty low key, which is her style, but as the card made its way around the family circle, it got LOTS of ooohs and aaahs from my sisters-in-law and nieces. My one SIL commented, this looks like you spent a lot of time on it. I must say, I was beaming inside!

When my sis and family returned to Manitoba, she e-mailed to thank me for a great weekend, and said reading my note had almost brought tears to her eyes. High praise from this gal!

(Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so wasn't able to photograph and post the card.)

barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Smile Another gush ...

What a great story, and I agree with you that being a "gush-ee" (is there such a word for being the recipient of "gush"? LOL) makes your hard work feel more worthwhile. My MIL who is almost 91, still lives in her own apartment, drives, does volunteer work at her local veterans hospital, does linedancing, aquarobics, plays bridge and lawn bowls, and is the local taxi for all her elderly friends who can no longer drive or get to Dr's appointments, get groceries, etc., has a set of louvre doors with the horizontal slats leading from her dining area to her kitchen, and every card I make for her gets put on those doors and shown off to her bridge group and other visitors, who in turn gush for her! She's always so appreciative of what I make her and calls it her own private art gallery. She's one special lady. Unfortunately we live in New Zealand and she lives in Montreal, Canada, so we don't see her very often, but we talk every Sunday for a good hour or more. I'm blessed to have a MIL like her.
Just my story for today!
Tilly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly
I'm blessed to have a MIL like her.
Just my story for today!
Tilly

Wow Tilly, that's a really wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. She's sounds like quite a lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 08:19 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Let the Fiesta Begin!!!
Reply With Quote Likes