Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to cover a box

I am having a hard time thinking tonight and can't seem to be creative either.
What is the best way to cover and decorate one of those big bankers file boxes? the type that can fit letter or legal size files with the lid?

Christmas gifts will be put into these, but I don't think I want them to be Christmas decorated kwim? I am thinking the box will be part of the gift to be able to use throughout the year. So along those lines I think I will cover and decorate the boxes and then wrap with Christmas wrapping paper. I think...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

If it was me, I would put down a base or two of gesso, and maybe colour over it with an acrylic paint. I would stamp and heat emboss. You could put some smaller embellishments on it, but if it was to be stored, paper decorations would be crushed and even torn. Ribbons are pretty, too. I would not glue paper to cover it, as constant use would make the paper fray and tear, as well. That is why I suggest the base of gesso and work up from there. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
If it was me, I would put down a base or two of gesso, and maybe colour over it with an acrylic paint. I would stamp and heat emboss. You could put some smaller embellishments on it, but if it was to be stored, paper decorations would be crushed and even torn. Ribbons are pretty, too. I would not glue paper to cover it, as constant use would make the paper fray and tear, as well. That is why I suggest the base of gesso and work up from there. HTH.
That is a good idea. I was not looking forward to covering with paper and would prefer to stamp directly on the box. Where would I find gesso? I am not familiar with that product. Is it similar to kilz?
By the way thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Gesso can be found in art shops, some craft shops. It isn't expensive, it's white and gives a matte finish. It is regarded as a primer (0r undercoat) so it will hold paint and the paint should come out its true colour. You can stamp onto it directly or onto the acrylic paint directly, but after it dries. Both gesso and acrylic paint dry quickly, so you don't have to wait for days to get into your projects. If you are doing a few, paint them one at a time and by the time you finish the last one, the first one should be ready to go.

BUT you should let each layer dry before applying the next, or the colours dilute. It is best not to try to hurry it along with your heat appliance, as it could cause the the underlying surface to buckle (curl up).

If you wanted a lasting finish you could either go over the entire thing afterwards with a gel medium or acrylic sealant (both available from art shops).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Gesso is an acrylic-based paint, usually used as a primer on canvas or board, so normally sold in large tubs. You'd find it in art stores or with the paint supplies in craft stores. White is the most useful - it comes in black too.
Using it instead of paper does sound like a great idea - ,uch easier than messing around with a lot of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Please post a photo of your finished files. (and could you provide a link so I can find it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you live on the West Coast, you can find the Gesso in Michaels (if you shop there). It's in the Art Dept, not usually with the acrylic paints (at least in the Michaels stores in my area). It comes in various size containers. White container with black lettering. Some jars the size of a women's cold cream jar.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Love the Gesso idea - thanks for the info, someone always answers my questions even before I ask them.... LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

OK I couldn't find the gesso (without running to a few different stores first) so I decided to skip that part and just do two coats of the acrylic paint. SO far they have turned out nice. I did three boxes with a blue chalkboard paint for their children to draw on so those three are done, and am still working on the others.

Thank you so much for the idea! I am still having a creative block on what stamps to use and how to decorate the others, but I am cruising the galleries LOL. Just for times sake and my own mental health I will paint the rest red and green, add a nice tag and bow, and be done with them! As soon as I am done I will add them to my gallery. I haven't added anything in over 2 years! I guess it's time to get back at it.
Reply With Quote Likes