Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Best surface to use a rubber ink roller/brayer on?

Hi guys.
Still learning a lot.
Right now I'm having some trouble with application on some custom stamps.

I'd like to use a rubber roller/brayer, but I can't seem to find the correct surface to roll the ink on.

When I try on glass the roller just slides and doesn't roll.
It rolls fine on something with tooth like cardboard but the cardboard seems to absorb a lot of ink and the roller doesn't get enough.

I remember in school (I think) rolling the ink on a steel/iron surface. Would that be better?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Watercolor Wizard

I know you're using the Tsukineko fabric ink - does that come with any advice or technical detail? I suspect most of us have experience of using our brayers directly onto an inkpad which is not going to help you at all unless it's practical for you to make a custom inkpad of some sort (with something like a piece of Cut n Dry felt, for example).

I suspect it's the combination of ink and surface that's important here. I certainly used a rubber brayer and a glass surface when I did some lino printing many years ago but that's a thick ink that I think is probably oil-based. Your water-based ink is maybe too slippery for the glass and brayer combo.

Can you pick up a cheap cookie sheet (try the dollar store) to try your metal idea?

My blog
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
I know you're using the Tsukineko fabric ink - does that come with any advice or technical detail? I suspect most of us have experience of using our brayers directly onto an inkpad which is not going to help you at all unless it's practical for you to make a custom inkpad of some sort (with something like a piece of Cut n Dry felt, for example).

I suspect it's the combination of ink and surface that's important here. I certainly used a rubber brayer and a glass surface when I did some lino printing many years ago but that's a thick ink that I think is probably oil-based. Your water-based ink is maybe too slippery for the glass and brayer combo.

Can you pick up a cheap cookie sheet (try the dollar store) to try your metal idea?
I am using the speedball fabric ink actually.
And ya, you're right. The fact that the ink is thinner probably isn't helping.

I'll keep experimenting. I'll try the cookie sheet idea too.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Glitter Queen

Glass doesn't work, steel doesn't work, iron doesn't work, wood doesn't work and cardboard doesn't work.
The brayer just slides...never spins/gains traction to pick up ink

I'm confused.

I can't be the only person trying to apply textile ink with a brayer...

Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

I just googled and Speedball has some videos up on their site/YouTube. The first one shows somebody carving her own stamp and applying ink with a brayer. She's using something called an "inking plate" which is presumably a Speedball product and I'm afraid I have no idea what it's made of. Shows it's doable though! The videos are all accessible from this page.

HTH!

My blog
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, I did mean to say - have you checked your brayer is OK by trying it with other inks/surfaces? Try running it over a regular ink pad and see what happens to make sure it's not stuck for some reason.

My blog
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I just googled and Speedball has some videos up on their site/YouTube. The first one shows somebody carving her own stamp and applying ink with a brayer. She's using something called an "inking plate" which is presumably a Speedball product and I'm afraid I have no idea what it's made of. Shows it's doable though! The videos are all accessible from this page.

HTH!
I've seen those plates, they are metal so I don't know if they will work.

Unfortunately speedball has he worst customer service I've ever seen and after about 2 months and a bunch of emails and calls they won't respond to anything...so there is no help there

And unfortunately I only have waterbased inks to test my brayer on. It seems to be spinning freely but I will try to get a regular ink pad and test it.

Thanks for your help AngelNorth!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Glitter Queen

PS. I also realized I was using a hard rubber brayer. I am going to try a soft brayer
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
And unfortunately I only have waterbased inks to test my brayer on.
OK, are you saying it's not the ink that's used in that video? As that has soap and water clean up I assumed it was water based and couldn't see what else you'd be using. The only other things there that looked suitable for fabrics are the screen printing inks and those, I suspect, are going to be much more fluid given how screen printing works.

If you're using something else, can you show us the packaging or point to it online someplace?

My blog
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Glitter Queen

Quote:
OK, are you saying it's not the ink that's used in that video? As that has soap and water clean up I assumed it was water based and couldn't see what else you'd be using. The only other things there that looked suitable for fabrics are the screen printing inks and those, I suspect, are going to be much more fluid given how screen printing works.

If you're using something else, can you show us the packaging or point to it online someplace?
Sorry, I am using the Speedball Fabric waterbased screenprinting inks. I just realized I didn't mention that in the first post. I've heard a lot of bad things about the block ink and when I tested it it just had a very bad result and didn't dry correctly.

I talked to several others who consistently use the screenprinting ink for rubber stamping shirts, but their stamping was a lot smaller so the brayer issue didn't come up I am guessing
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Glitter Queen

I guess I thought more people used rubber stamps on shirts and/or used screenprinting ink which is why I asked here.
Might have to blaze a new trail and figure out my own methods
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
I talked to several others who consistently use the screenprinting ink for rubber stamping shirts, but their stamping was a lot smaller so the brayer issue didn't come up I am guessing
They're still getting the ink onto the stamp somehow though! If they're not using a brayer, how are they doing it? If they're inking up a pad of some sort (Cut n Dry felt or similar) couldn't you do the same and run your brayer over that? You can keep a pad in something like a Ziploc bag between uses to keep the ink moist so you're not looking at wasting what's in the pad at the end of a session.

If they're not inking up a pad, get them to explain how they're getting the ink onto the stamp and see if it's a method you can either adopt or adapt. Screen printing ink is pretty fluid so I'm not suprised it's too slippery for a brayer on most surfaces.

The vast majority of people here are pretty content to stamp on cards, I think. There are some who like altered art and some who stamp on surfaces like fabric or polymer clay too but I think we're a bit of a minority!

My blog
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Glitter Queen

Quote:
They're still getting the ink onto the stamp somehow though! If they're not using a brayer, how are they doing it? If they're inking up a pad of some sort (Cut n Dry felt or similar) couldn't you do the same and run your brayer over that? You can keep a pad in something like a Ziploc bag between uses to keep the ink moist so you're not looking at wasting what's in the pad at the end of a session.

If they're not inking up a pad, get them to explain how they're getting the ink onto the stamp and see if it's a method you can either adopt or adapt. Screen printing ink is pretty fluid so I'm not suprised it's too slippery for a brayer on most surfaces.

The vast majority of people here are pretty content to stamp on cards, I think. There are some who like altered art and some who stamp on surfaces like fabric or polymer clay too but I think we're a bit of a minority!
Thanks

I think with the soft rubber brayer (I just ordered one) and trying a few different things I might be able to get it to work. I also ordered the speedball ink tray to see if that makes any difference and I will try felt (that is a good idea). I would image that it would roll fine on felt