Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Cardmaking Kit Ideas - What to include?

What would you include in a cardmaking kit of an absolute beginner?

I was thinking Kiwi Lane Templates because she wouldn't need anything but a pencil and scissors to get started, but what are some other easy things I could include?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first thoughts would be cardstock, a black ink pad, a colored inkpad, adhesive & a stamp set that is basic in the style that she likes (and blocks if she will be using unmounted stamps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it depends on how much money you want to spend and/or how much of your own stuff you can raid.

I would include a good bone folder.

A package of neutral cardstock like white, and a multi-colour package.
Maybe a small selection of pieces of dsp that have matching/similar colours to the cs you have given. Or some dry embossed pieces you have done in coordinating colours or something neutral like vellum. Just a few bits & pieces so they aren't working with only plain cardstock.

And if you have them and they fit the company's angel policy - stamped images of different styles, particularly ones that require colouring. I wouldn't do hundreds of them, but you know, 2 or 3 images of a dozen or so "generic" images that can be used for a lot of things depending on the sentiment used. Some flowers, a sailboat, that kind of thing. It is always nice to "try before you buy" and a few images would help them get a feel for whether or not they would enjoy colouring images before they spend a lot of money on stamps.
Another thing you can do if you have a scrap basket and punches - especially flower punches - is punch a ziploc baggie of bits from your scraps. You get rid of your scraps, and they get fun, cheap embellies to play with.
Some bling is always nice and fun and adds that little bit extra to any card. Maybe a few brads, or a bottle of a neutral-coloured stickles (like diamond or ice) or a package of clear, adhesive-backed rhinestones or white pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Card bases and envelopes, Archival black ink pad and maybe a set of Memento Dew Drop color inks, clear stamp set with Happy Birthday, Thank You, Congratulations, etc., SU! Clear blocks for the stamps, clear stamp set with various objects like flowers, butterfly's, animals, etched.baby wraps, Marvy Squishy scissors, something to color with whether it be ink pads, markers, water color pencils, etc., paper cutter with an arm that swings out, asst. pkg. of colored cardsrock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell us what your budget is and let's see what everyone comes up with in your price range.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Tell us what your budget is and let's see what everyone comes up with in your price range.
I didn't even think about budget. That's a good point. How about 50 bucks? That is a nice round figure. Some things I already have in my stash like unopened packs of card blanks and envelopes so I can spend the money elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a list of the items in the "toolkit" my LSS requires for classes:

Trimmer
Scissors (* I use different ones for paper and ribbon)
Ruler

Adhesive tape runner
Wet adhesive such as Glossy Accents
Glue dots
Pop dots

Pencil
Black journaling pen

Bone folder
Tweezers
Paper piercer
Distressing tool

That list addresses tools but there are essential consumables as well:
Cardstock (neutrals + colors that coordinate)
Black ink suitable for selected coloring method. I prefer StazOn or Ranger Archival since I love watercoloring with pencils, gelatos, crayons, reinkers etc.
Coloring medium of choice and related tools (I like aquabrushes)
Stamps (images and words related to her interests or purpose for Crafting); acrylic blocks; suitable stamp cleaner.

Sponges and/or foam blender tools + refills if using inkpads/refills as a coloring medium

I rarely craft without using grid paper. It helps keep my workspace clear and to align layers.

Zipclose bags for scraps

Envelopes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

How old is the person receiving the kit?

maybe make list of the things you have multiples of that you do not have to buy first and then look at how far your 50.00 will go.
the suggestions above are good ones.

the first coloring medium I started with was a kit of pastel chalks from SU with a blender pen. if you are putting in the kit stamped images or even some stamps, a way to color it would be a good idea.

maybe a small set of waterbased markers that could be used with an aqua brush or a water painting brush?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
How old is the person receiving the kit?

maybe make list of the things you have multiples of that you do not have to buy first and then look at how far your 50.00 will go.
the suggestions above are good ones.

the first coloring medium I started with was a kit of pastel chalks from SU with a blender pen. if you are putting in the kit stamped images or even some stamps, a way to color it would be a good idea.

maybe a small set of waterbased markers that could be used with an aqua brush or a water painting brush?
She's in her early 40s.

I didn't even think about coloring stuff...since I tend not to color all that much I didn't even equate it with a cardmaking kit. Shocking LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can send her a few things if you pm er info to me. I have lots of paper I can send.
I love to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Supplies for a beginner

I teach beginners, and I can tell you it is easy to get overwhelmed! (I ask students to bring a 12 inch trimmer, black extra fine marker, tape runner and detail scissors, and I loan tools or provide paper for the rest. They are able to "sample" different tools and techniques without major investing.)

I agree with supplying blank cards, a packet of cs, and a bit of coordinating pp. I REALLY like the idea of supplying punchies-- maybe some punched out words like "best wishes" or "happy birthday" too. This way she can produce a finished card very quickly and easily. Chalks were my first coloring purchase and I still think they are the best value-- color a few of the punchies you give her. I would tuck in a copy of a (used) magazine with simple card instructions and examples, emphasis on the simple. She'll be able to start right away, but she'll also be exposed to more advanced coloring and cutting techniques.

If she's local to you, how about giving her a coupon for a crafting afternoon with you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I can send her a few things if you pm er info to me. I have lots of paper I can send.
I love to share.
You are so kind. Thank you. Let's see if we can get her hooked then I will definitely let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa M in So CalView Post
I teach beginners, and I can tell you it is easy to get overwhelmed! (I ask students to bring a 12 inch trimmer, black extra fine marker, tape runner and detail scissors, and I loan tools or provide paper for the rest. They are able to "sample" different tools and techniques without major investing.)

I agree with supplying blank cards, a packet of cs, and a bit of coordinating pp. I REALLY like the idea of supplying punchies-- maybe some punched out words like "best wishes" or "happy birthday" too. This way she can produce a finished card very quickly and easily. Chalks were my first coloring purchase and I still think they are the best value-- color a few of the punchies you give her. I would tuck in a copy of a (used) magazine with simple card instructions and examples, emphasis on the simple. She'll be able to start right away, but she'll also be exposed to more advanced coloring and cutting techniques.

If she's local to you, how about giving her a coupon for a crafting afternoon with you?
Thank you for the ideas Lisa! I love the idea of some pre stamped sentiments and chalks were my first too. She's not super close to me, but crafting is always a good excuse for a visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

If she's an absolute beginner, and you want to make her a kit, then simplify things a little more. I would include:

- 2 or 3 relatively simple sketches, and then the pieces to make maybe 5 cards of each design already pre-cut, in a variety of colour schemes (plus a few extras, just in case) - use both cs and pp
- a package of card blanks & envies
- a basic sentiment set that includes a variety of sentiments, a Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad, and a block or two that'll cover the whole sentiment set
- a variety of punched and/or die cut pieces that coordinate with the designs, plus a few extras
- Diamond Stickles
- Tape runner & a refill (like the 3L E-Z Runner - quality without breaking the bank....no need for an ATG if you're not even sure she'll be hooked)
-Tombow Mono Multi or Aqua glue
- micro tip scissors, tweezers, bone folder
- package of clear rhinestones, white pearls, and/or coordinating enamel dots

And then put it all in an Iris case or something similar.

That gives her a starting point without being overwhelmed, and there's no need to put out $20+ for a trimmer, either. As she gets some cards completed, you can expose her to other tools, techniques, etc!

Last edited by PinkStar; 06-17-2015 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: (darn auto-correct!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

You can get a decent little trimmer Carl for $10.00 at Staples. I love my SU trimmer, but when I am going to do just minor cutting I leave that to home and use my Carl. It fits nicely in my kit.
You can get a small scrapping bag at Michael's, JoAnns, ACMoore, Hobby Lobby usually with a coupon. They come in all sizes. The one I use is medium, And I have a small one that fits in there that holds all the small tools: bone folder, paper snips, pen for journaling, tape runner, Tombow liquid glue, corner rounder, some card stock already cut to size for cards, some punch cut outs. Some water color pencils - Crayola has basic colors and they are less than $5, they work really well, pencil sharpener.
Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes