Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone making paper punch flowers for cards?

I am still considering the idea of making paper punch flowers. I have a book called Paper Bouquet that has all the directions.

Is anyone making them and are you putting them on cards or what do you use them for?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Who wrote this book? I have a couple (can't remember who wrote them, but they're by the same person); she uses the Leone Em punches to make realistic looking flowers. I bought the books with good intentions several years ago, but haven't made a flower yet!

I like the looks of the layered scrunched flowers and have made mini versions of these to use on cards (they weren't too bulky), but can't really see using the larger ones on cards. I make gift sets out of those clear paint buckets, and the larger scrunched flowers would look great on those. I also make boxes for my A2 cards when I give them as a set, and the scrunched flowers would be great on those also.

Anyway, I enjoy all the flower stamps out there, so that's probably the biggest reason I don't do the punched ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

The book is titled " Paper Bouquet" by Susan Tierney Cockburn. I got it from Amazon

I made a couple of flowers with her technique using the "SU 5 petal punch" and Martha Stewart "Birch leaf" punch. I also tried MS " Cosmos" punch and the "Birch leaf" punch.
They were fun to make , but I am trying to decide if I want to buy more punches and make other flowers and what I would do with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of my favorite blogs that shows many card examples using 3D flowers is All the things I love by Bev Rochester. Although those aren't the same flowers as in the book, you'll find some lovely ideas of how to embellish cards with dimensional flowers and leaves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
One of my favorite blogs that shows many card examples using 3D flowers is All the things I love by Bev Rochester. Although those aren't the same flowers as in the book, you'll find some lovely ideas of how to embellish cards with dimensional flowers and leaves.
Thanks for the link!. That is a lovely site
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies.....Check out the McGill website. They have some new punches that when used together in particular combinations you can create some very nice flowers. They also carry the tools that make it easier to shape the pieces too. There is a video on the site to show you how also.

I did a demo with 3 punches a couple weeks ago in AC Moore. They turned out very nice!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Ladies.....Check out the McGill website. They have some new punches that when used together in particular combinations you can create some very nice flowers. They also carry the tools that make it easier to shape the pieces too. There is a video on the site to show you how also.

I did a demo with 3 punches a couple weeks ago in AC Moore. They turned out very nice!

Patti
Will these punches go through card stock?? I ask because I have two Mc Gill button ( push down) style punches that will not go through cheap Walmart card stock . I see these punches are lever punches.

What paper did you use to demo them?
Thanks
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have made several round boxes and used the flowers on the top. Used them on cards and scrapbooking pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies....The punches I'm referring to in Post #6 are newer ones (light green, lever style). I did use the Coordinations (sp?) paper as that is what I was given. They were very difficult to punch through with that cardstock. For the style flowers these particular punches are meant to create, you would need decent cardstock or they would never hold their shape.

I have to admit, I will continue to use them from time to time, but I personally wouldn't spend my money on them.

I have a Cricut and Expression so I can cut the shapes and use the McGill tools. This allows me to form my flowers much easier with what ever paper/cardstock I choose.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I am a designer and the Social Media gal for McGill. I use Bazzill cardstock with mine all the time. It's the only cardstock I have on hand most of the time. I haven't had a problem with any of my McGill punches and I have them all. I use them every week. I also punch on a hard surface (craft table or kitchen table) so not sure if that is why I haven't had any problems.

Thanks
Elisa K

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 03-22-2011 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Removed Promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I love making these flowers and have made several projects with them. I have the books by Susan T. Cockburn and even had the fun of going to several classes she taught. I don't have a lot of those projects posted in my gallery, but there is a cake box that I did using the roses in there. The rest of them are on my blog (which I havn't updated in a couple of weeks : (,.

If you get creative with your punches they can be used in several flowers by cutting the petals into other shapes etc. Or if you have a Cricut or other cutter you can use that also instead of punches. I love making them and adorning projects with them. Even gave a couple of classes myself to friends. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I am enchanted with making these flowers !!

I also have Susan Cockburn's book and now I have branched out to using McGill punches. McGill has 3 videos on You Tube on how to make them . Just Google " YouTube McGill Paper Blossom punch flowers"
These flowers are so easy to make

You can use scraps to make them. I bought a Punch aid to make punching easier with the button punches . Well worth the money
Now the New McGill punches are lever punches
I am using Bazzill paper from Michael's and the punches go through it fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am enchanted with making these flowers !!

I also have Susan Cockburn's book and now I have branched out to using McGill punches. McGill has 3 videos on You Tube on how to make them . Just Google " YouTube McGill Paper Blossom punch flowers"
These flowers are so easy to make

You can use scraps to make them. I bought a Punch aid to make punching easier with the button punches . Well worth the money
Now the New McGill punches are lever punches
I am using Bazzill paper from Michael's and the punches go through it fine.
I am so glad that you are enjoying your McGill punches. We are working on more videos and we have all the how to's on all our flowers on our blog in pdf form so you can print them off and have them at your fingertips anytime.

McGill Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Flower Punches

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am still considering the idea of making paper punch flowers. I have a book called Paper Bouquet that has all the directions.

Is anyone making them and are you putting them on cards or what do you use them for?
I do make flowers using the punches suggested in the Paper Bouquet book
The Punch Bunch punches can be very costly. I found that McGill Punches
have many of the same designs and are cheaper. I teach cardmaking and use them on the cards. The class likes using Mcgill better because they have a lever rather than the round disc that the Punch Bunch have. The disc type can be harder on your hands to punch unless the you have the adapter that the punches fit under.
I've used the flowers for cards, shadow boxes and for pins.
Hope this info has helped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Paper Bouquet book. I got it used. When I went to buy punches, I couldn't find what I needed in the store. I looked online and was shocked by the cost. Once I get my Silhouette (older style) hooked up and reteach myself how to use it, I might cut my flowers that way.

I saw sample flowers at a scrapbook convention several years ago. I was instantly enamored. I don't think they'd be good for scrapbooks or most cards because the flowers would get smashed in the books and envelopes. I thought they'd be more practical for altered items or mini book covers that could sit out on display.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Melissa, You can get double/triple duty from the punches. Several of them can be used for the different flower parts of different flowers. Also if you have an electronic cutter and software you can cut the parts out in whatever size and number as you like. scrappilly Ever After has a sale on now on the punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you sign up for Scrappily Ever After's mailing list you'll get a heads up when they have their recurring sale. I think it's once a month they do 30% off all punches. It's how I've accumulated a lot of these punches, and this site seems to have the most variety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginselegantcardsView Post
I do make flowers using the punches suggested in the Paper Bouquet book
The Punch Bunch punches can be very costly. I found that McGill Punches
have many of the same designs and are cheaper. I teach cardmaking and use them on the cards. The class likes using Mcgill better because they have a lever rather than the round disc that the Punch Bunch have. The disc type can be harder on your hands to punch unless the you have the adapter that the punches fit under.
I've used the flowers for cards, shadow boxes and for pins.
Hope this info has helped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
If you sign up for Scrappily Ever After's mailing list you'll get a heads up when they have their recurring sale. I think it's once a month they do 30% off all punches. It's how I've accumulated a lot of these punches, and this site seems to have the most variety.
This is where I bought mine too. If you save up and buy $100 at once when she has 30% off she has free shipping too. I also bought the Power punch aid ( at 30% off) and it is well worth the money . It makes any button punch a breeze to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe this has been mentioned already but there are many videos on You Tube for this and there is a swap hosted by DellsDani if you are interested in that. You can find it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

Those are gorgeous. I have some of the older McGill punches; they're fine if you're just punching shapes out of plain cardstock, but if I'm trying to punch out specific designs, it's much harder. So glad the newer ones have levers! I have to get on the floor and put on my weight and strength into it to punch through cardstock. I'm sure the cats and hubby think I'm bonkers! :-P
I saw some youtube videos where they show you how to fold and shape cricut flower shapes. Love the way they look on cards, but I'm still at the basic level of cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes