Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Anyone have a Canon MX922 printer? (or any printer recommendation?)

Have finally had it up to HERE with my Epson Stylus Photo R260 and need to replace it.

Am considering a Canon MX922, but would like to be sure it can handle heavier cardstock (at the least, the Georgia Pacific #110 that my Epson had no problem with), as well as vellum and transparencies.

Thoughts?

Other recommendations?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Upon further investigation, looks like the MX922 is a no-go. Back to the drawing board. Hate shopping for printers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't you like that printer? I have a Canon PIXMA MG5320. I use it to print my digital stamps and color. I haven't noticed any bleeding with the ink. I've only used it on cardstock.

I have a Epson Rx580 too, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Canon MX892 at work and would only say that it prints colors well. The hand-fed tray is at the back so I have to stand up to insert the paper, BUT it pulls it through without having to bend, so it should take heavier cardstock. I would NEVER buy a CANON again. It DEMANDS that you replace ALL the cartridges that run out, AND uses ALL the color tanks to print my black & white letters, even though I input 'preferences' to print in grayscale, black only. ALSO you can't use ink tanks from a past model, You must use just what they sell for the exact model you have....even if it looks like and works just the same. We bought this one because it will scan and create a pdf. I have an HP at home, about 5 yrs old "All in One" and I like it except that paper has to enter from the front and bend before it gets printed, and SU cardstock rarely will pull through. Overall I like HP products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have never used the tray ay the back on my printer. I don't know how. I just stack all the cardstock in the bottom tray. It's my first wireless printer so I love just printing from where I am. I do hate the whole cartridge thing, but I think I'm use to it because my Epson is just like that. Even if you have a full black cartridge and are out of another color, you can't print in black and white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I have a Canon MX892 at work and would only say that it prints colors well. The hand-fed tray is at the back so I have to stand up to insert the paper, BUT it pulls it through without having to bend, so it should take heavier cardstock. I would NEVER buy a CANON again. It DEMANDS that you replace ALL the cartridges that run out, AND uses ALL the color tanks to print my black & white letters, even though I input 'preferences' to print in grayscale, black only. ALSO you can't use ink tanks from a past model, You must use just what they sell for the exact model you have....even if it looks like and works just the same. We bought this one because it will scan and create a pdf. I have an HP at home, about 5 yrs old "All in One" and I like it except that paper has to enter from the front and bend before it gets printed, and SU cardstock rarely will pull through. Overall I like HP products.
As it is for work I know it isn't up to you but I love my CISS(continuous ink supply system) for my HP so much I bought one for my son's Canon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking for a printer too. Currently, I refuse to use digis, and I print full-colour flyers with only the greatest of reluctance because it seems I can only print 10 full-colour sheets before I have to replace the ink cartridges ($16 per cartridge)! (Forget about all digi papers at this price!!!!!) Also, my printer can only accept the lightest weight papers - definitely no cardstock. I hate my printer for craft-related things. It is an HP380 Deskjet all-in-one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Seriously consider a CISS for your printer. Think mine cost the same as one set of replacement cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking for a new printer also! I have a very old HP DeskJet 882C which has separate black and color ink cartridges that cost $80-$85 if bought as a dual-pack. It prints great and will take GP cardstock, but the cost of cartridges is way too much with the much lower cost of printers and ink nowadays.
I tend to print out the pictures of cards that I like rather than "favoriting them" and saving them to my computer. Writing this out makes me realize that it is hugely more cost effective to save a copy in a compuiter file.

I'm very interested in reading more of what the SCS community has to say about printers. Thanks everyone.

mcw519

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Seriously consider a CISS for your printer. Think mine cost the same as one set of replacement cartridges.
I know I will hate my printer less if I get this (if it is available for my printer), but I really don't want to invest in my printer because it will still not accept any cardstock heavier than Georgia Pacific. No SU! cardstock, or Gina K, or PTI. If I were to print digis out, I'd want them on heavier cardstock than Georgia Pacific. Nothing against GP - but sometimes I want my images on cream instead of stark white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
...I would NEVER buy a CANON again. It DEMANDS that you replace ALL the cartridges that run out, AND uses ALL the color tanks to print my black & white letters, even though I input 'preferences' to print in grayscale, black only...
Not all Canon printers work like this - at least the 2 models I have owned didn't. I have an MP560 with a CISS and it works great. I used it to print everything and its very inexpensive to print all my digital papers - everything. I only replace the cartridge that has run out and it only uses the black ink (the bigger cartridge) when I print in greyscale. Does your model have all the colours in one cartridge? That's the only time I've seen a printer use all the colours to print black or have you replace the entire cartridge when one colour runs out.

[QUOTE=harvestmoon;20395502...ALSO you can't use ink tanks from a past model, You must use just what they sell for the exact model you have....even if it looks like and works just the same. ...[/QUOTE]

A lot of ink cartridges are interchangeable on printers - and Canons for sure. I know that the ones for my machine also fit into 3 or 4 other models. But I agree that most printers they are putting out within the last year or two only use very specific cartridges without any crossover. I think because they are starting to lose money on ink with all the off brand ink suppliers and CISS. A lot of times the inks you can buy from off brand are at least as good quality as (if not better if you buy specifically from photography suppliers) as the OEM ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My favorite printer, although pricey is the Canon wide format. I feed anything through that thing including finished artwork, 12x12 scrapbook pages, cardboard and matted images. I have a Canon Pro Mark 9000 II. My last one went forever but working from home, after 14,000 copies the parts were obsolete. I am not working now so hoping this one goes equally as long and so far it has. It has never not fed anything I put through it. I agree with previous poster about cost of ink. When not printing photos though or just for documents I print on fast and that helps conserve ink. Ink cartridges can be purchased for less than stores by on line shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes