Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever tried Altered books?

I have been thinking of other ways to use my stamps, and other ways to create art. I noticed some talk on craft shows (on TV) about altered books. I know they have probably been doing them for a while, but I am wondering if anyone in our communitey has been doing it?

A few days ago, I bought some vintage books at half price books-- they were PERFECT..... Hard back- with interesting titles:

#1. Elements of interior decorating, must be about 5o years old-- and soo oout of date! PERFECT title for an altered book

#2. How to live with your nerves--- OMGoodness was this a funny title. I died when i saw it and started cracking up. Its about 50 years old as well-- I plan on making a book for my mom with it-- because she would understand the humour-- PLUS-- my dad is driving her nuts these days!!! hahaha

Im starting with the decorating book first-- to get my feel of what i am doing-- so if i mess up-- i wont mess up on the book i want to give as a gift.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been altering books for awhile now, I actually taught several classes at my LSS for altered books. I usually pick a theme for each book, it gives me a starting point, and if the book fits that theme even better, like using a french text book with a french theme. Most books take ink, paper, paint and techniques really well, think of each page as a tiny piece of art. I like to make alot of my pages interactive, with windows, doors, niches folds, pop up, etc. And remember if you don't like a page just rip it out! And I recommend decorating your cover last after the book, or it can get in the way or get torn up while you are working.
There are lots of places to see ideas but I would look into anything by Beth Cote, she's the queen of altered books
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

awesome! Thanks so much for the info!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I love altered books. I have done a couple after taking a wonderful class at my lss. I don't think you can mess them up. I took another class from Heidi Swapp and she said that she used her altered book to try new techniques that she wasn't sure would work on a scrapbook. They are a wonderful place to be free and explore new techniques and yourself. Good luck with your new endeavor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I took a couple of classes at my local SS and enjoyed the classes very much. But when I came home I found that my interest in making one was very low. Maybe it's becuase I like to alter journals and chipboard books that do not have print in them?

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love making ABs! I'm working on a book cut into a heart shape by a bandsaw, a book cut into the shape of angel wings, and two large hardcover books. I've been making them since 2003. Can't get enough of them. The round robins and that people do are a lot of fun too.

http://lunarium.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sure it is Beth Cote I have seen on the Carol Duvall show - the episodes should be in their archives on HGTV.com. There were some awesome ideas that could be used for card making as well. I recall she said she used books she bought at garage sales or library sales for a dime or so -her book was so altered that the original really did not matter much but it sounded like she did not use a book that really had any value.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdas
... it sounded like she did not use a book that really had any value.
That was another point. Altered Books were also intended to give new life to books that would otherwise have been destroyed or thrown away. I read somewhere that if you pay more than $5 for a book you're going to alter that you're spending too much money.

Books can be rescued from garage sales, Amvets, Salvation Army, Goodwill, library sales, publishing company dumpsters, etc. Try to find good hardcover books without any yellowing pages (indicates high acid and lignin content) and with a sewn binding.

http://lunarium.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place I've found to get my books for altering is my local library, we have a place at our main branch where they sell used/old books, they are usually really cheap and you can find some great ones, like I love Asian style/design so I've gotten books with Chinese and Japanese character text and used those for Asian themed books, really cool!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes