Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else not really crazy about the A Muse change??

I'm a lurker, never really post or comment on forums, but I just have to ask...

Is anyone else not really crazy about the direction A Muse has gone? I understand that it's probably what is best right now for the business, with many LSS closings and things need to evolve and change, but I just feel kind of sad or disappointed by this. I flipped through their catalog this afternoon and was just kind of like "eh". Don't think I'll be rushing to find a demo in my area or ordering much anymore.

Sorry to be such a "Debbie Downer", but I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same way I do.

Thanks for letting me share!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I am sad that they didn't open it up to Canadians..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to Frozenstamper

I normally hate change in anything. And I've loved teaching at my LSS even though I was limited by the size of the classroom and the amount of time given to me to teach. I chose to move forward with A Muse Studio
A Muse Studio Consultant #1011 donnahitz.gci.net

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 03-03-2011 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Edited promotional text
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have never heard of A-Muse so I looked at their catalog. It sure looks like a Stampin Up selection to me . Even their stamps look like Stampin Up . Most of the other things they have we can buy at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joanns with a coupon. A hostess only gets $25 for a party that is $150-$249. Hum-m-m . I wonder how successful this will be .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
There was a note on the FB page to stay tuned for Canada. So stay tuned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

In my mind A-muse is VERY different from SU. I'm a SU girl mainly but have a few A-muse stamps. I had the thrill of seeing their store in Seattle last summer....so fun.

I tried to go to the link that showed their new line but it's been taken off.
Maybe the new cling stamps resemble SU...I can't remember really what they were like.
I hope this is a positive move for them. But it did surprise me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #7  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since i was so worried they were closing shop when they pulled product from LSS stores at the first of the year, i'm pleased to see they've just found another way to market their product! and, i'm not sure we've heard *everything* yet. i think their store is staying open, they may still sell direct online (and since i don't have ANY LSS around, i purchased most of my a*muse stamps that way)... and, i love the idea of stamps in sets with images AND sentiments!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay, found the catalog link and to my surprise it did look very SU. Cute stuff tho. Loved some of the dies. So, I won't have a demo in my area but we should be access a demo like SU, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #9  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

do they still have the seattle store front?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have never heard of A-Muse so I looked at their catalog. It sure looks like a Stampin Up selection to me . Even their stamps look like Stampin Up . Most of the other things they have we can buy at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joanns with a coupon. A hostess only gets $25 for a party that is $150-$249. Hum-m-m . I wonder how successful this will be .
I think $25 is pretty standard for hostesses, no? CTMH is $25, SU! is $15 plus a hostess set about the same value, I think.

As for being able to buy the consumables at big box stores, I guess the same could be said for candles, make-up, cooking items....yet there are very successful home party businesses for all of those products, too.

Personally, I think that any of the home party stamps and supplies are head and shoulders above what is available at the big box craft stores, which are very low quality in my opinion with a few exceptions like Martha Stewart.

Additionally, most new stampers get into the hobby through home parties. It's not something that a lot of people just pick up on their own at a craft store, they are usually introduced to it and shown the tools and techniques.

Lastly, having a line where all the products coordinate is a huge draw for many stampers.

Just a few thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Given the fact that LSS's (unfortunately) are closing left and right, this was probably the smartest thing A Muse could have done.
I am SO happy to see they are sticking with their signature CAS style and offering MORE coordinating products and goodies!
The catalog is breathtaking and I'm happy to see a lot of past favorites as well as NEW and exciting stamp designs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The stamps that are in the book, most of them were existing stamps that have been around a while and most were just sold as singles. While some do look the same, the difference with A Muse is all their stamp are clean and simple, where SU has more of a mixture of styles. The hostess benefit is close to what SU is. SU is $15/Level 1 (which is usually worth about $10) set and A Muse is $25. The only difference is A Muse is 150-250 and SU is 150-200. I do like that they have some different offerings that SU (although I rarely buy SU anymore). They offer Copics, adhesive pearls, Nesties as well as a few other things.

That all being said, I am not sure how I feel about this yet. I hate having to order through a rep, I hope the reps websites are easy to order through. I also mentioned this on one of the other threads that I am also disappointed that there are stamps that were sold as singles being sold in sets now. For existing customers that becomes an issue because now you are buying duplicate stamps if you want a set that includes a stamp that you already have. There are several sets that I like but I already have at least one of the stamps in the set. I know I could sell the duplicates, but I hate putting the effort forth to sell stuff.

I am going to give their ink and paper a try, but I already use PTI paper and ink (at least some of them and soon with the new ink coming out all of of them) and I actually got rid of all my SU paper because I only wanted to stick with one core company for paper and ink. I will have to really like the quality to end up added A Muse ink and paper as a regular part of my supplies.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted to interject to those of you concerned about previously released images that you might already own now showing up as cling images in sets. You can always sell off your WM version, leaving you with an entire set of stamps that work together.

And to those concerned about those same images even being in the catalog in the first place... a*muse is a debt free company. Imagine the cost of a project like this! You surely can't expect the company to start out of the gate with EVERYTHING brand new. Plus, those images and sentiments are classics (IMO) anyway.

To the Canadians bummed they aren't opening up there yet...how long was SU around before they broke into the Canadian market?

One step at a time....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
do they still have the seattle store front?
yes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #15  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoraAnneView Post
Given the fact that LSS's (unfortunately) are closing left and right, this was probably the smartest thing A Muse could have done.
I am SO happy to see they are sticking with their signature CAS style and offering MORE coordinating products and goodies!
*like*

we need one of those buttons
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
I just wanted to interject to those of you concerned about previously released images that you might already own now showing up as cling images in sets. You can always sell off your WM version, leaving you with an entire set of stamps that work together.

And to those concerned about those same images even being in the catalog in the first place... a*muse is a debt free company. Imagine the cost of a project like this! You surely can't expect the company to start out of the gate with EVERYTHING brand new. Plus, those images and sentiments are classics (IMO) anyway.

To the Canadians bummed they aren't opening up there yet...how long was SU around before they broke into the Canadian market?

One step at a time....

I think we all know that we can sell off our WM version, it is just the fact that we now have to take the time and effort to do so if we don't want to have duplicate stamps and if we want to recoup some of our money already invested.

I think one way to have avoided this is maybe not sell all the stamps in in such large sets. They could have started off with a lot more smaller sets of existing stamps, including just the image stamp and the coordinating sentiment(s) and then introduced larger sets that have all new stamps. Doing that would have given them a happy medium of taking into consideration existing customers and also new customers who may not want to invest in the larger sets or may not be able to afford the larger set price points.

I totally understand why they had to do this, but I am disappointed regarding the way some of the changes are being made.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I think we all know that we can sell off our WM version, it is just the fact that we now have to take the time and effort to do so if we don't want to have duplicate stamps and if we want to recoup some of our money already invested.

I think one way to have avoided this is maybe not sell all the stamps in in such large sets. They could have started off with a lot more smaller sets of existing stamps, including just the image stamp and the coordinating sentiment(s) and then introduced larger sets that have all new stamps. Doing that would have given them a happy medium of taking into consideration existing customers and also new customers who may not want to invest in the larger sets or may not be able to afford the larger set price points.

I totally understand why they had to do this, but I am disappointed regarding the way some of the changes are being made.
There are some very cute smaller stamp sets to get started with that have good price points. I've never been a "Clingy" type person but I really do love these. The packaging makes it easy for me to part with some of my cumbersome WM. Way smaller footprint and so easy to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenstamperView Post
There are some very cute smaller stamp sets to get started with that have good price points. I've never been a "Clingy" type person but I really do love these. The packaging makes it easy for me to part with some of my cumbersome WM. Way smaller footprint and so easy to see.
I did see the ones that they offer in the smaller sets, but I think that they could have expanded on those a little more with the existing stamps. For example the Peep stamp, that would have been great to sell as a small set with just that stamp and then the 2 sentiments that go with it.

I do like the cling stamps, so if I do end up ordering and wanting a set that I where I would have one or more of the stamps then I would sell the WM ones.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I did see the ones that they offer in the smaller sets, but I think that they could have expanded on those a little more with the existing stamps. For example the Peep stamp, that would have been great to sell as a small set with just that stamp and then the 2 sentiments that go with it.

I do like the cling stamps, so if I do end up ordering and wanting a set that I where I would have one or more of the stamps then I would sell the WM ones.
Kelli -
That's what I'm going to do! Garage sale this summer as soon as it warms up and I'm not FROZEN anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #20  
NwP
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I hate having to order through a rep
COMPLETELY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
COMPLETELY.
Come April 1, Nicole, you won't have too. You'll be able to place your own "On-line" orders. If you order under a certain consultant you may receive the certain benefit she/he may provide their customers, though. I know I'll be putting together a Newsletter, free Tips sheets, etc.,
But - you'll be able to place your own orders -

Donna Hitz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I have quite a few Amuse stamps that I paid $7-9 EACH for, so an image with a sentiment was at least $14 together...I am happy as a clam that I can get a WHOLE SET with 3 more images and 3 more sentiments for only $20...not really worried that a few are bound to be duplicates. The pricing makes me happy.

What I am unhappy about, is that I was about to jump on board to be a consultant...except for the fact that I can't pick my sets...if I could do that, I would love it. I just don't care for a random assortment of sampler stamps. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I don't know about you, but I have quite a few Amuse stamps that I paid $7-9 EACH for, so an image with a sentiment was at least $14 together...I am happy as a clam that I can get a WHOLE SET with 3 more images and 3 more sentiments for only $20...not really worried that a few are bound to be duplicates. The pricing makes me happy.

What I am unhappy about, is that I was about to jump on board to be a consultant...except for the fact that I can't pick my sets...if I could do that, I would love it. I just don't care for a random assortment of sampler stamps. :(
Cher,
The Consultant Samplers are Awesome and only available to consultants. I'd grab them while you can! They won't keep me from ordering the set's I love anywho..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Cher,
The Consultant Samplers are Awesome and only available to consultants. I'd grab them while you can! They won't keep me from ordering the set's I love anywho..
Are they fairly general, or do they include a lot of holiday stuff?? I am still trying to talk myself out of it...haha! I don't celebrate most holidays, so I hate to be paying for things I don't use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am of a totally opposite opinion about Amuse designs being compared to SU. To me they are nothing alike. Amuse has always been very distinctive. I realize this is a subjective thing, but I couldn't be more surprised at the comparison.

I have a "reasonable" number of Amuse wood-mounted stamps and I would still consider purchasing some of the sets with repeats. Imagine the thrill of a good friend receiving a classic wood-mounted Amuse in the mail! (Of course, not all of them, LOL!) If I had most of their stamps, I might feel differently, but I doubt it -- I'd just head for the new ones.

Speaking of which there are quite a few new ones, too, and thank goodness there aren't more right now -- gives me time to try the ink and paper and ribbon, etc., without breaking the bank.

Also, I think you need to consider that Amuse turning to this business model can be nothing but a long-term plan. The future is wide open and to me this catalog looks like a great start.

Lastly, I don't see where ordering online from a consultant is any different than ordering from any other online store -- with the benefit system like SU and others. And if you live where it's an hour drive to the big box stores, and farther to an LSS, the online/home shopping is very appealing.

P.S. Cher - about the random sets -- if you don't like/want the ones you get, you could use them as incentive for customers, door prizes for events, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Will Amuse still be offering the Wood Mount Option? I hope so...if not, no more Amuse stamps for me. I was so disappointed that ODBD stopped carrying the WM. I don't buy clear-mount, too many pieces to keep track of...I like the ease of picking up a WM and stamping right away. I love that SU offers both options. :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

As long as I can still order online, then I don't mind the change, especially since all the LSS near me have been closed for a couple of years now. I always liked Amuse's style of stamps - and they've always had a distinctive style, unlike any other stamp company. I could see an image and pretty much know that it was from Amuse. Their stuff isn't like others. If you see a similarity to other companies, it more likely that other company is trying to copy Amuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post

I thought that was a really interesting strategy, and I hadn't seen it done before. For people who want to hold events, it's awesome, because you can get a lot of mileage out of that mix of sets and showcase a lot of different styles with those four sets. As I've done design work for A Muse, I've had the opportunity to play with them for a while and they're a lot of fun.

I do see the flip side, though, about wanting to pick your own sets. It's a decision they made that was going to please some and not some others. I think it's cool that they tried a new approach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #29  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
yes
good to know, my friend moved there and would love to have there address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

How can I look at the catalog? I have googled to no avail- all I can find are the single stamps on clearance...

thanks,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
Will Amuse still be offering the Wood Mount Option? I hope so...if not, no more Amuse stamps for me. I was so disappointed that ODBD stopped carrying the WM. I don't buy clear-mount, too many pieces to keep track of...I like the ease of picking up a WM and stamping right away. I love that SU offers both options. :-) LM
At first I shied away from all Clings or Clear sets of anything. A Muse Studio's Clings are Red Rubber and foam mounted and come in "weeding". All the stamps are prepunched - Ready to Roll! Just put them on an acrylic block and stamp. When you are finished, clean them off and stick them back in the weeding and snap the DVD case closed. Easily marked and small footprint for storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
How can I look at the catalog? I have googled to no avail- all I can find are the single stamps on clearance...
Hi, Anne -- A link to the PDF catalog is at the end of the text on this page: https://www.amusestudio.com/ourproducts.asp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

I am still wondering about this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

At first I shied away from all Clings or Clear sets of anything. A Muse Studio's Clings are Red Rubber and foam mounted and come in "weeding". All the stamps are prepunched - Ready to Roll! Just put them on an acrylic block and stamp. When you are finished, clean them off and stick them back in the weeding and snap the DVD case closed. Easily marked and small footprint for storage.

I have never heard the term "weeding" before. ???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I have never heard the term "weeding" before. ???
Either had I but, it makes perfect sense after seeing it! So the prepunched foam backed (marked w/image)Cling comes in a square of foam that "holds" the Cling. You pick it out and put it back in. Kinda like weeds 'cept you don't wanna put those back "in."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone know what the quarterly sales requirements are?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Me too, especially knowing that Linda is Canadian...I realize she has to make the best decision for her business, but still...I am sad knowing I will not be even able to restock my collection of their papers which I LOVE...

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Anyone know what the quarterly sales requirements are?
$300.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

To answer a few questions posted here:

*Address to A Muse Retail shop: 7107 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle
*Re: wood mounted stamps. Once their existing wood mounted inventory has been depleted, wood mounted stamps will no longer be available.
*yes, a*muse | studio is only CURRENTLY available in the 50 US states, however, I'm pretty sure Linda has plans to expand into Canada as soon as she can so all hope is not lost for Canadian fans!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #40  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Hi, Anne -- A link to the PDF catalog is at the end of the text on this page: https://www.amusestudio.com/ourproducts.asp
Oh, I see it now!!! Thanks.

Wow, of course I like it all because it's all EXACTLY LIKE STAMPIN UP! I mean even the sets are practically identical (Rock Star? The Perfect Blend? Life is a Song?). And if I were SU, I would be asking if 'we are all o.k. with this'? I mean the entire catalog, the layout, the packaging, the order of items, the color choices, everything is directly copied off of SU. Of course I like some of it, it's just surprising that it's so blatant, that's all.
Reply With Quote Likes