Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2006, 03:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody work on any stampin' projects when they go camping?

We just bought a pop up camper a couple of months ago and we are going camping this comping up holiday weekend. I was thinking about taking some stuff and doing some stamping. Any tips on stamping while you are camping? TIA

All children are gifted...some just open their package sooner than others.
Check out my gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I would definitely take some stuff. I would do my stamping in the trailer or under a tarp. I think the sun would warp the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

We have a Roadtrek Motor home and I take cards that need coloring etc to do while out. Watch DVD's and color. Fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, by all means take some stamping stuff with you! I always take some stamping projects with me when we head out with our Airstream trailer....I always pack way too many things to get done, but, you never know!

I am working on having a "camping grab-and-go" tote. I already have a plastic file holder with a couple of sheets of my favorite cs colors and lots of white, off white and confetti cs. Also have packed a set of colored pencils and misc "doubles" that I have of corner rounders, Fiskars paper trimmer, erasers, scissors, double sided tape runner, glue dots, etc. Then I have a post-a-note with things to pack before heading out: ink pads, stamps, stamp postioner, markers, aqua pens, card samples from SCS!, sponge daubers, ribbon and any punches needed for likely projects ....still working on the list.

And don't forget a handy craft table - I found a nice little one that adjusts to 4 different heights and is light-weight and portable. It's also useful for things other than stamping so you can justify taking it along! ;)

Can you tell I LOVE to stamp and camp?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Yes, yes take stamping stuff with you. I do all my Summer birthday and summer holidays (births, weddings graduations....) and do them while we are camping. The best tip I have is already above, pack up a travel tote with what you need and have it ready to roll with you suitcase....Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

dont get out printed papers on a windy day....
so, I usually just bring stuff to stamp and color in. It doesnt take up alot of room to pack or use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I usually take things when we go camping (we have a 5th wheel). I plan ahead what I want to do and bring the stuff for those cards. That way you aren't taking unnecessary things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

NO! ;)

Only because we have 3 small children (who has time to do anything but make sure they don't get lost, fall in the water, fall in the fire, etc) AND because we're still old school, and while we "car camp" we have a tent. Maybe when everyone's older.....a girl can dream

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbookmommy
We just bought a pop up camper a couple of months ago and we are going camping this comping up holiday weekend. I was thinking about taking some stuff and doing some stamping. Any tips on stamping while you are camping? TIA
I take my stamping stuff with me.....So on those days that it's raining or later in the day and we aren't doing anything I will get my stuff out and stamp. I have a tool box that I fill with all my stamping stuff that I want to take with me.

Dh and I have a Bigfoot Truck Camper. And I use the dinning room Table to stamp on. I cover it first so I don't stamp on it.
I have a set of windows So if it's nice outside I can see pretty well. Two lights if it not.

I like using my toolbox for stamping supplies.
This way my stuff doesn't get dirty and it will fit nicely under the dinning room table.

I sometimes stamp outside, But I make sure that the table outside is clean.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Smile I wish......

I would love to stamp while we camp but with three young kids its a no go for me too! We just got back yesterday from an awesome camping trip (my 4 year old son caught his first fish). I would love to get a pop up camper. They seem affordable and easy to tow but i still have to convince DH that we would be more comfortable then in a tent! I look forward to the day when I can go campin' and stampin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I prefer to send my husband and son camping, and I stay home and stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh! I loved our pop up camper! I wasn't stamping then, though. I think a handful of CS, a box of spots, your fav sets, some tape and a ruler cutter would do you fine. What else is there? ;)
Nature is inspirational. You'll probably surprise yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbookmommy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

While I do not camp out (I used to when children were younger) now I just want to remind everyone that the stampin spots are great for taking and stamping...I slowly but surely have all families in craft and classic. I do not take my embossing stuff or crayons because I want to protect them. I will take an assortment of markers in a plastic case. I even take stuff to convention to do! I am sooooooooo addicted!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #14  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

My "camp" is now a lake house, but I am still very limited to what I can bring so I try doing limited supplies challenges. I may only bring 2 stamp sets, 4 stamp pads, a few markers and some c/s scraps. I can always add the embelishments when I get home. I also try to use stamp sets that have been gathering dust for awhile. Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes--I've done this several times. I have even posted about using embossing powder with no power to run a heat gun (put the cardstock with the embossing powder on it in a skillet with a lid and heat slowly over a propane stove or fire. Check frequently so it doesn't burn the paper.)

I find that I take WAY too much stuff. This past camping weekend I limited it to taking some outline images I had pre-stamped on white cardstock with Staz-on, and taking Prismacolor pencils and a travel size bottle of Gamsol with me to color in the images. This worked much better and took up very little room.

On other occasions I have also picked out 3 or 4 cards from my favorites that I wanted to case (preferably using the same stamp set) and taking just the supplies with me that I would need for those specific cards, plus a little extra cardstock (to allow for mistakes or last minute creative ideas). I try to focus on cards that don't require a lot of equipment for fancy techniques--but then again, my cards all tend to be more on the "simple but elegant" side.

Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

if you've got kiddos i'd go no as well...but if not then i heartily agree with all the yes votes!....images to color and such are very good choices i also agree with the decide what you want to do before you get there group...nothing worse than packing things you didn't use that take up people space ...my last trip to yosemite i had to cook for 15people so i didn't take anything..i was too busy chopping and making fires!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I like taking stuff with to work on while camping. One of my favorite projects from one trip was when I made a bunch of paper with one of the coolest techniques. Take a disposible pan and put water in it. Place a piece of dark cardstock that doesn't bleed on the bottom. Drip sally hansen's nail polish on the surface of the water. It will spread out and become rainbowy kind of like an oil slick when it rains outside. Then bring the paper up and let it dry. It was a fun project and the picnic table in camp worked great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I don't take stamping stuff with me only because that is usually are family vacation and our time as a family to spend time together and do things with the kids.If anything just to make my mind feel better I will take some magazines to look through when the kids are doing something or we are all just sitting around like a.m. having my coffee.I will go through and look at magazines.

But to me this is a vacation for my kids to spend quality time together with them.

then if we go shopping anywhere and you come across a stamppin store then by all means do a little shopping for yourself.but that's it.

I would take lots of pictures to scrap later,Think of things the kids can do for you to have a lot of pictures.When you go camping and go places collect memorabilia from differant places you go.to put into the album.But I would take away time from the trip to stamp.unless of course there are no kids.

if you do have kids give them a list of things to go out an dfind and have a scavenger hunt.take pictures of the finding everything then they can make a collage fo all the things they found on thier hunt.

Last edited by Lisa62; 05-23-2006 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

We have a fifth wheel on the river with a big deck. My DH drags me down there every weekend in the summer with 3 kids under 7. I am planning on making a travel stamping kit for cardmaking. I am interested in how & what everyone takes on trips.

As far as spending time with the kids, my 6 & 4yo like to stamp, too. They already have a tackle box with cheap stamps & washable ink spots. We will bring that but most of the time they'd rather dig in the dirt!!! I spend alot of time packing up and unpacking and all my usual responsibilities. The camper really stresses me out more than relaxes me. SO... an hour or two of stamp time may just make for a less grumpy mommy.

I'm thinking cardmaking would be easier than scrapbooking in the camper because I can precut card fronts and not have to worry about pics. Keep the ideas coming. TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 05:30 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

we have a 1972 VW camper so not a huge amount of room to take lots of stuff - I tend to just take some pre-stamped images and watercolour pencils, H20s, chalks etc. I sometimes take some images to cut out for decoupage too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks, this thread go me thinking about what I should take this weekend. Last year my friend and our families went camping, and we took our stamp stuff, and I got 6 swaps finished!

This weekend, I will probably work on my dd teacher's name frame for her end of school present.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Although I really love stamping, I can't say I have the urge to do it when I'm camping (at least I haven't yet). If I were going longer than a weekend, that might be different. Since I prefer being outside feeling the breeze & enjoying the fresh air, the prospect of chasing CS across the campground doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me! That's okay though, because I enjoy using the time for reading, or playing games or hiking with my husband. For me, its time to enjoy doing some of the other things I forget that I enjoy so much because I spend so much of my time at home stamping!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I just got back from camping over the long weekend. I didn't take anything this time - we just had no room! I have two small kids, so I would have to wait until they were asleep. Plus, we tent - so there's not a good place to stamp. But, I usually do take scrapbook magazines and a notebook so I can plan out layouts and cards that I would like to try or to demo. And, when we go in July, you can bet I'll be taking my new SU catty so I can memorize it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I take stamping/scrappin stuff on our camping trips. I use a gray rubbermaid tote that has a lid, because we have a truck camper and it has to sit outside (under a canopy). I have a folding table and a lantern, and stamp after my almost 3 ds goes to bed, or if he and dh go out in the boat. I set up somewhat close to the family so that I can still be involved in discussions, but I can't sit still and have my hands empty. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have no children just our 4 legged fuzzy one. Our cat Sarge.
And we have been camping for two weeks at a time. So some days you have to have something else to do. Cause if it's raining outside and you can't go anywhere.
I like having my stuff so I won't get bored!
Watching TV is sometimes very hard...Depending on where you camp.
Dh and I run around in the daytime and at night I will like to unwind and I enjoy this time for stamping.
Dh smokes I will not let him Smoke in the Camper....So he sit's outside in our Screen Tent and downloads all the pictures from the day and he too unwinds from the long day.

We have a Bigfoot Truck camper with a Take along Trailer that dh built for extra storage.
And with my little Red toolbox stuff with Stamping supplies I can go just about anywhere with it.
I sometime takes it with me to my mil's house for a long weekend.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm IMHO Camping is for CAMPING not stamping LOL. I do not and would not take any stamping stuff with me. But I LOVE camping. I love getting all dirty and making a fire and cooking on the fire. Making smores, going hiking, seeing sights, being with family. I do take my camera and takes TONS of picutures for when I'm stuck at home, but when I'm out and about, I'd rather enjoy why we're there. Plus when we go, there just isn't any extra time. We have things planned the whole time we're gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Wow thanks for all the response. I picked up a small rubbermaid box and I'm just going to take the things to make a few specific projects like maybe some swaps I have joined. If it won't fit in the box then I'm not bringing it. Kind of a limited supple challenge to myself.

And I do agree with many of the posters that you are camping to enjoy the outdoors and your children. And that is what I plan to do. But I have a two year old DS who takes a two hour nap everyday. When he takes his nap this weekend more than likely DH will take DD (10) off and do some things with her like swimming or fishing while I stay at the camper with him while he sleeps. So I want to be prepared with something to do instead of setting and twiddling my thumbs by myself. LOL.

All children are gifted...some just open their package sooner than others.
Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Of course, you realize what you've started, don't you? Those of us who never gave any thought at all to stamping while camping will now have it stuck in our little beans. It will start as a "well maybe just a few little things for when I'm bored" ... then it will be "well, I'll just bring this project" ... before long the tote with all our stamping gear will be loaded before the food does!

I was perfectlly happy with my little breeze and my book and my simple little camping trip. Now look what you've done! (hmm.... now how to keep the cardstock from flying ...)

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks you guys, I am going to make my hubby read these posts. I have been bring my stampin with me on camping trips in our pop up for years. The four kids have their toys and I bring mine. Usually working on the 80 Christmas cards I send each year ( If they don't get done by the end of summer they don't get done). Hubby just laughs and thinks I am the only one who would stamp while camping.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Boss - your table?

[QUOTE=Boss].

And don't forget a handy craft table - I found a nice little one that adjusts to 4 different heights and is light-weight and portable. It's also useful for things other than stamping so you can justify taking it along! ;)

Boss, where did you find that table? How large is it? Sounds great.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

I didn't read all the responses, but when I travel I pack the supplies I need to make my Christmas cards in a cropper hopper tote and then I can do all the little tasks for the cards while I am away.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Well...I just went camping for my first time last fall...and I didn't know about stamping then...so of course I didn't do it. This year, however, my boyfriend and I are going out to Western Canada for 2 weeks camping. Granted, most of the time we are going to be occupied with working (it's a viking re-enactment camp)...but I was kinda thinking that I could at least bring along a bit just to keep myself sane.

Nothing like throwing me to the vikings for two weeks without stamps or paper. I will be weaving...but really, how does that compare to stamping!?!??!?!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes