Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody do art journaling?

Well, I used to be an avid journal writer and then after I became more involved with my boyfriend, I slowly stopped writing. No real reason why, I just did. Awhile back, I saw an Art Journaling magazine at Hastings, and I didn't get a chance to pick that issue up, but the next time I found I grabbed one. I'm really not much of an "artist" ~ drawing, painting scripting, things like that. I love making cards and I thought it'd be so fun and refreshing to tie in my card making with journal writing. Does anyone else do art journaling with your cardmaking/scrapbooking supplies? Ive started a journal, but since its still new to me, I feel a little awkward and unsure about my journal pages. If anyone else is doing art journaling, I'd love to talk to you and see some of your pages!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't done it yet but keep thinking of doing it. Seems to be a similar concept to the Smash books everyone is on about.

I think it will be a rather freeing experience to just fill the page with whatever. I always get distracted by making my journaling fit some weird idea of perfect, but I think the Art Journaling could be something that breaks me free of that.

In the end it's your journal (something I keep telling myself) so you make the rules it doesn't have to conform to what I or anyone else thinks. And BTW I think it is a great idea and could be a fun way to use up scraps too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done a couple of blog posts about some random pages I did. Mostly it was messing about with my card making supplies and bits and bobs. I get more involved in the arty part and less in the journalling part. I never know what to write about, lol.

Christy Tomlinson does a few online classes for art journalling and she uses a lot of stamping scrapping supplies that most of us already have in our stashes. A popular one was the She Art class, but I did a different one called She Had Three Hearts. If you were to google search images any of those terms you'd get a lot of inspiration.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Lots of inspiration here: Artful Evidence: Journal Pages from 2011 Her Youtube videos are great, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you feel like sharing your own work, we have a special section of the gallery for Art Journal pages here - Stampin Up! Gallery: Art Journal Pages by Cinny52 - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #6  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW. I had no idea there was a gallery for Art Journalling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

You might want to check out Stamping Bella's blog, her and her team have an Art Journaling Monday day and some of the stuff they come up with is really cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have been considering it as well..but I do like to control my art work..LOL

here is another blog you might want to check out as well

simply me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I just started my first art journal. I do a lot of personal blogging where I go into great detail on my emotions and deep thoughts, but I wanted to make an art journal for expressing all the stuff I can't put into words. (That's a lot.) However, I just started it on the weekend and all I've done so far is stamp with all my favourite stamps and then write all the details about the stamp (the maker and name of the set, etc). I thought that would come in handy later when I wonder where one of my stamps originally came from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just found a link to this blog on P'interest - Balzer Designs: Art Journal Every Day: A Seven Day Plan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I've been art journaling for a while now, off and on. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in life and my journal sits off in a corner though. :(

I started out as a rubber stamper who made cards for friends and found I hoarded more cards than I gave out. I got a blank book and started putting my designs in the book so I could let go of the card!

I have a blog where I share some of my work. I'd love to connect with other art journalers, so glad I found this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

MyCreativeMuse..welcome to SCS! Enjoy your time here..but be warned..it is addictive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

i have also just started an art journal - i plan on using it for alot of different things and am doing the smashbook challenges on Color Me Creative as inspiration. i am planning on using it to try out new techniques as well as put ideas into like the mural i will be putting on my daughter's wall. probably not a whole lot of writing...my first page is here

art journal page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the welcome, Inkin One!

@ cerridwen3301, I love what you did on your art journal page, good luck with your resolutions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I am planning on doing an art journal/smash type book for the first time!

I am excited to see a gallery and lots of interest here on SCS.

I'm battling health issues so I'm going to be journaling on those and just everyday life in general.

I love the idea of a resolutions page...think I will include that for sure!

Thank you all so much for sharing!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default A Tag-A-Day Journal

I am an avid collector of supplies and decided that 2012 is the year to use some of them. One of the many things I have in my collection are tags in all shapes and colors and sizes, and thought they'd be perfect for keeping a brief daily journal for every day of 2012. Here's what I did:

First I looked for an album. Couldn't find what I wanted, but I found a package of cover stock in black, white and tan in size 6" x 13". That meant I could use 12x12 paper cut in half, and a two page spread (6"x24") would give me enough room to lay out a week of tags across the pages (4 on one page, 3 on another) with room for dates and embellishments.

Since I am deeply in love with vintage, I bought a pack of kraft cardstock (25 sheets) which would leave me just a couple pages short. Raided my stock of Tim Holtz paper (designs on Kraft) which complemented it perfectly for enough pages to start with.

2012 is perfect because the first was a Sunday, so I just started adding tags. The backgrounds are stamped, sprayed, stencilled, covered in printed paper. Tags are added - each week (two page open spread) is done like a scrapbook layout in that the colors and embellishments are complementary. Embellishments are not too dimensional because the journal will get too thick. Using lots of distress ink!

Haven't decided how to bind it yet. Bought a spiral wire but doubt it will be big enough when I am done. I have a comb binding machine, though I am not sure I like the plastic binding - but it does come in large sizes and I can cover and decorate it. Or I may just go with a couple of rings. Until then, I bought a decorated box (very vintage, almost a suitcase - reminds me of Tim Holtz:p) that is big enough to hold the papers.

Originally I thought I'd be happy just to do a month ahead. But getting out all the supplies and stuff to do these each month means in a practical sense that it wouldn't happen. So I am working on doing the entire year while I have the supplies spread out. Tags are just big enough to capture the essence of each day without demanding too much time - a perfect journaling tool. And I'm using tons of supplies (well, I guess I'm not in any danger of running out....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

A tag journal is a great idea, ArtisKat! I'd love to see photos. Good luck with your project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ordinary journal

I keep an ordinary journal of "stuff that happened to me today". It also includes summaries of some of my favorite TV shows. I have turned the journal entries about a specific event into a scrapbook by typing them up and pairing them with digital photos and cartoons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

ArtiKat, your tag journal sounds intriguing. I have a wire binder and it does pretty big books. What size do you think yours would be when done?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I made myself a 'smash' book using some DCWV stacks that I cut to the size I wanted and bound with my bind-it-all. By using those I have some blank pages and some pretty background pages. I've been using that as an art journal. I've followed along a little with Stamping Bella's AJ challenges and am very intrigued with the whole thing. I also am attempting to do an art journal/calendar for the year and was inspired to do that from a blog called thekathrynwheel - sorry I don't know how to just put the link in here but you should check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just started a daily art journal on my blog. I picked up a copy of the brand new "Pages" magazine from Cloth-Paper-Scissors, and there was this excellent article on Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and suddenly the whole idea clicked. I've done 4 days worth of pages so far since last Wednesday. Obviously not a page a day, lol. But I'm very pleased with my work- no over thinking, no trying to make it perfect or going back to fix "mistakes". Just keep moving forward, keep building up layers and play with your toys and enjoy yourself. And I really am. Thanks Julie!
Please follow my Art Journal progress on my blog, staARTing Over

-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

c

Last edited by cakhuxel; 01-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I've heard about art journals for awhile now too but so far I haven't started much. The other day I ran across a free video on Donna Downey's site that shows how to make an art journal out of newspaper so I decided to try that. You glue several papers together and then cover them with whatever you like. I just glued a bunch of papers together today so if I don't continue the journal I'm not out much but time. I do love to a little bit of art so have made ATC's but sometimes they are a little small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I actually just started a daily art journal on my blog. I picked up a copy of the brand new "Pages" magazine from Cloth-Paper-Scissors, and there was this excellent article on Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and suddenly the whole idea clicked. I've done 4 days worth of pages so far since last Wednesday. Obviously not a page a day, lol. But I'm very pleased with my work- no over thinking, no trying to make it perfect or going back to fix "mistakes". Just keep moving forward, keep building up layers and play with your toys and enjoy yourself. And I really am. Thanks Julie!
Please follow my Art Journal progress on my blog, staARTing Over

-c
Very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes