Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for moving with stampin stuff?

FINALLY leaving this rock and Army comes to move me on the 1st I am trying to "prepare" things to move ex: putting embossing powder jars in ziploc bags, wrapping some of the papers in plastic wrap etc any tips on how to store the pads markers or anything else for the move? Army will pack it nicely but I want to make sure it is protected best possible way. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTiggView Post
FINALLY leaving this rock and Army comes to move me on the 1st I am trying to "prepare" things to move ex: putting embossing powder jars in ziploc bags, wrapping some of the papers in plastic wrap etc any tips on how to store the pads markers or anything else for the move? Army will pack it nicely but I want to make sure it is protected best possible way. THANKS!!
When the Air Force moved us 3 years ago I didn't prepare any of it. They packed it super nice and I didn't have any problems at all.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
When the Air Force moved us 3 years ago I didn't prepare any of it. They packed it super nice and I didn't have any problems at all.

That is such a comfort to hear!! I am stressing over bent edges of paper packs or something leaking. I have heard some horror stories! I know the guys coming to pack it they packed my friends and I was there that day so I am gonna get some pizza for lunch to hopefully subconciously bribe them to do an extra nice job! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Last move I packed a lot of my stampin' room myself and I have to give myself low marks on a few important things:
1. organization -- try to keep like things together like all embellishments can go in one box, all solid 12" cs together, all patterned 12" cs together, etc. I think I just kept filling boxes without thinking about where it would go when it was unpacked.
2. double wrap your pastels in bubble wrap, then packing paper, then peanuts. Mine were all quite a mess when I unpacked!
3. remember that stamps and paper are quite heavy and you may want to insist they use many smaller boxes and no large boxes.
Good Luck!
Mary Beth
Married to the Navy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Just curious -- where is your new duty station?
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved and have to say.... label it so you know where it is! My packers didn't and it was a nightmare!
Also, plastic wrap is fast and wonderful for keeping things together. Like loose ink pads that's lids come off easily. If you have plastic drawers that hold stuff you could also crumble up some packing paper to fill any extra space the plastic wrap the drawers... I did that and it was fantastic to unwrap and be able to just use it!
good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Not all military packers pack well! So your best bet if to prepare for your own sake! We lost ALOT of things moving to Germany because the people didnt wrap our stuff but only in paper!!! It was live and Learn for me. Good Luck on your move!
Attached Thumbnails
Any tips for moving with stampin stuff?-th_thpinkhooah.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Default Moved to Germany in July

I didnt' have any problem...but I did baggie up all of my inkpads "just in case" and put them in a seperate container... I had a couple sheets of paper get bent corners, but other than that, no problemo!

(just a warning, if you baggie all your inkpads..what a pain to unbag them lol)

Where ya movin to?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a box from the LSS to put all my paper in so corners didn't get bent. I put rubber bands around all my ink pads and put them in big zip baggies. As someone said, it's a pain taking everything out of the baggies on the other end, but it does give you peace of mind.

Oh, I store my stamps in shallow plastic drawers, and I made the movers build boxes to fit large drawer units in so everything stayed organized in the drawers. (I put tissue paper in the drawers to hold the stamps in place.) The three-drawer units fit into standard boxes. That worked like a charm.

Watch the packers like a hawk, though. Get a friend to help if need be (we have had as many as three packers at a time, each one on a different floor of the house--impossible for one person to watch them all!). We had a friend whose fine china was stacked, wrapped only in a single sheet of paper and put in a box with canned goods that were not wrapped. She got $300 for over $3,000 worth of china because she didn't make the packers unpack at destination and they claimed she broke it herself because they "never" would pack a box that way. Legal told her she should have let the packers unpack at least her kitchen. If they unpack, they have to document damage and you're more likely to get replacement value. Legal also told us to inspect each piece of furniture for damage BEFORE they put it in your house. Make them document any new scratches, dents, gouges, etc. We did this in our move to Rapid City, and got repairs made on a dresser that was seriously damaged paid for completely.

This is more than you asked for--sorry! But I feel strongly that the "lowest bidder" isn't going to take care of your stuff very well, and if you know and exercise your legal rights, you will be much happier. We moved nine times with the military, and learned our lessons the hard way.

Good luck. Where are you moving to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am happy to hear them all I am going home! Califorina born and raised gonna kiss the ground when I get there and never leave again cept maybe for a short vacation ;)!

I was lucky enough to get the packers that packed my friends stuff (i requested them) and they came highly recommended So I am hoping everything will be ok!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

our last move (international ) from the USA was not so good ,the packer was, to put it nicely ,one plane short of a squadron ....i had luckily packed my ink pads in baggies and most of my other craft things ....he was refusing to pack embossing powder as it was "dangerous" 'and when i unpacked the kids boxes he had filled gaps with loose lego !!!!!!!!! i had flippin lego everywhere .I didnt have anything of any value broken ,but lots of my "American stuff" broken ,and i cant replace until i visit again .....soooo annoying ,nice welcome signs and cheapie home decs .Beware if your in Las VEgas and LeRoy packs for you !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyBView Post
our last move (international ) from the USA was not so good ,the packer was, to put it nicely ,one plane short of a squadron ....i had luckily packed my ink pads in baggies and most of my other craft things ....he was refusing to pack embossing powder as it was "dangerous" 'and when i unpacked the kids boxes he had filled gaps with loose lego !!!!!!!!! i had flippin lego everywhere .I didnt have anything of any value broken ,but lots of my "American stuff" broken ,and i cant replace until i visit again .....soooo annoying ,nice welcome signs and cheapie home decs .Beware if your in Las VEgas and LeRoy packs for you !!!

HA HA HA! I am sorry that had to be miserable but I think it is so funny and cheap seriously how pricy is packing peanuts!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Speaking of pizza boxes - I think 12x12 paper fits perfectly into them ??? If they do why don't you fill a few of them with your paper and tape them shut so no curled edges.
Off the topic but it sounds like you hate Hawaii? What happened or is it all the tourists? Just curious, as we were planning a vacation there! or Not!!!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTiggView Post
HA HA HA! I am sorry that had to be miserable but I think it is so funny and cheap seriously how pricy is packing peanuts!!!
i know honestly ,and i had already done so much for them ,all the bedding was packed in vacuum bags ,there was no big furniture as we had an air freight move ........you have to wonder ..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
Speaking of pizza boxes - I think 12x12 paper fits perfectly into them ??? If they do why don't you fill a few of them with your paper and tape them shut so no curled edges.
Off the topic but it sounds like you hate Hawaii? What happened or is it all the tourists? Just curious, as we were planning a vacation there! or Not!!!
Kathy
I was wondering the same thing, Aubrey. All we ever hear is that Hawaii is a paradise... C'mon - it's beautiful isn't it?? I've always wanted to go there. I get the impression that you just really miss California and maybe being on an island takes some getting used to??

I have always heard that to see Hawaii, it helps to know someone there because otherwise it is just very touristy and you never even get to see the most beautiful places.

I never imagined saying this to someone, but I'm happy for you that you get to leave Hawaii since you are longing so badly for the big day! Best wishes to you. And thanks to everyone for insights on packing -- great advice for anyone moving their stamping stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with having your paper in boxes, especially the 12 x 12.

And if you have a cutting mat insist that it is flat, or maybe put it in the bottom of one of the paper boxes. I've had two damaged beyond repair in moves.

I packed my stamps this way, I sorted the boxes by size and packed all the same size together. That way they stacked nicely and I didn't have any crushed cases.

Just in general every moving company has a personality. Some like to put everything in baggies, some are fast some are slow. Some will pack open containers of food, some will not. Our last mover would not pack cupcake papers (???)

We just figure out their quirks and go with the flow and it helps.

I hope it goes well! Moving is always such a challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I was wondering the same thing, Aubrey. All we ever hear is that Hawaii is a paradise... C'mon - it's beautiful isn't it?? I've always wanted to go there.

Well since I have been asked several times I will go ahead and let myself whine ;)! I have been all over US Mexico and Canada and I can honestly say this it the WORST EVER!!! Here is a post I put in a thread about someone asking about moving to hawaiian hell....

"My background big city girl loves shopping hates nature (yes beaches are included!)! Ok knowing that place me on a rock unable to get off, the size of the CITY I am from! There are NO stores!! There is NO target, bed bath beyond, linens and things, victorias secret (seriously where do I buy underwear and bras now?), no bath and body works, Michaels, hobby lobby, express, ny co, ann taylor NOTHING!! I have no idea where to shop I can't find clothes in styles I like (the principal of my school actully told me to wear a hawaian dress aka mumu to work UM HECK NO!)

Ok lack of shopping aside there is not a single amusement park no disney, six flags no sea world great america NOTHING there isn't even a freakin mini golf corse or arcade that is decent.

Expense everything is expensive if you don't shop at the Army grocery store (which only military can) milk is $6.89 a gallon, our house cost us an arm and a leg (we are hopeing to refinace soon!) and gas etc is OUTRAGOUS!

School system (I work in it and hate it!) it is ranked 49 in the US I come from CA which is #1 in the US and the district I attended and taught in was 5th in the state! So I have a very hard time teaching 2-3 years behind the education system I am accustomed to... I should not be teaching 5 graders math that is taught in the 3rd grade in CA I am embarassed to be a part of the system it is NOT up to par with the rest of the US and doens't seem to matter to any one there are no bills, plans etc up to change it etc. I am just greatful I don't have a child in it and will be out of here before I do (1 year and 11 months more if the army isn't stoopid with us! I am seriously counting down the days)

The culture- I am gonna keep this one short as I am sure it can be the most offensive and I don't wanna do that... I will just say the foods here are not what I am used to (they sell rice at McDonalds ??) they are lacking the chains I like (rain forest cafe, joes crab shack, elephant bar, Mimi's, etc) and that the cultural is very differnet feel like i live in another country with the differences. "Hawaiian time" ticks me off there are actully stores that say they open ABOUT 10 and close ABOUT 5 HELLO you either open at 10 or you don't laid back life style stinks a store should be open at a specific time!

Traffic- you can NOT travel from the hours to 4-7 unless you have patience which I don't, to sit for at least an hour takes my hubby 45 min to make the 8 mile drive to work. Thousands of cars STUCK on a rock 30 miles in diameter... NOT FUN!

Time difference 2-3 hours eariler then CA (depending on the CA time change we don't change time!) so trying to call the East Coast can seldom happen business calls are hard to make since they are open 8am-5 which is 2am-11am here and calling family is hard too!

I can go on and on and on but I will stop there"

As much as I hate it here I will have to admit I have had some once in a lifetime oppertunities. Where else can you have sea turtles so close that you almost bonk them in the head with a kayak paddle, snorkel with so many fish that one sucked on my toe (and made me freak out), and swim with the dolphins and seals. On a good day I can look back and say I am glad I was stuck here and that it made me a stronger person!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh and if any of you are interetested in visiting pm I have the "inside" scoop of where to go, what to eat and what to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

So, Hawaii might be a great place to visit but not a great place to live? My husband and I went to Oahu and the Big island on vacation for a week a while back and absolutley loved it. I loved it enough that I want to see each and every island in Polynesia now.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just saying my visit was nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I have the movers pack my large cutting mat against the back of my dresser mirror- that way I know it will stay flat. Other than that - label, label, label. Don't be nice if they're packing wrong. Have the number for the post transportation office and the moving company on hand so you can use them if you have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
So, Hawaii might be a great place to visit but not a great place to live? My husband and I went to Oahu and the Big island on vacation for a week a while back and absolutley loved it. I loved it enough that I want to see each and every island in Polynesia now.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just saying my visit was nice.
Military people leave Hawaii either really loving it or really hating it -- seems like no middle ground. Many people suffer from "Rock Fever" and the only cure is to move.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes