Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I mental?

Who else feels like a complete failure if their gallery uploads don't get very many (or any at all) comments?
I admit, I don't go in and comment as much as I should myself, but yet I take it personally and feel "snubbed" or at the very least "overlooked" and pout. Now I'm kicking myself in the pants (no easy task) and going to the gallery to comment on some lonely galleries. Anybody wanna join me? I think I will start doing this on Sundays when we can't upload anyway, we can still browse and comment!

SU addict? I don't have a problem. I can stamp - oops, I mean stop - whenever I want to!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't feel bad. I'd love to see everybody's galleries but I just don't have time to see all the cards uploaded. Especially with dial up...forget it. I comment as much as possible and I like my cards whether they have comments or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I post most of my comments on Sunday, too. And I try to post in the gallery of anyone who posts on mine. It only seems polite, and I've seen lots of cool stuff I would definitely have missed otherwise. I also checked out your gallery and you've got some really cool stuff, girl!

I love validation as much as the next person and frequently check my very small gallery to see if there's anything new posted. But I really think there are just too many uploads to expect many comments unless you're doing a challenge or something. Besides, I like my stuff (at least the stuff I post here LOL!) and so do the people who receive them, and that's good enough for me.

Of course if anyone reading this were to take a moment to look at my tiny little gallery and offer up a comment, I'd be really grateful!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

You shouldnt feel bad at all! If you are having fun stamping and making yourself happy then that is really the point to this whole thing
I post comments every day and I still come upon galleries daily that I have never seen before. There are just so many people posting that it is impossible to see them all!
Your cards are really cute in your gallery!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

There is something about the whole "number of views" and "number of comments" that feels like a popularity contest to me. I would rather just see galleries and an e-mail where people could direct comments only to the person who posted the card instead of seeing no comments or a hundred of the same comments over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I think we all feel this way! For some reason, I really enjoy posting my things on my blog and don't care at all if someone comments or not... but here - yeah I want the kudos!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I think we all like to have some feedback on things that we post and I give it a good try on giving feedback to others. If I like it well enough to put it in my favs or copy it-then I definitely try to post comments and feel it is being courteous to those who worked hard for us to see their work of art. I don't get a lot of comments either, but certainly appreciate those who do take the time to do so.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #8  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm content with a couple comments. I'm not one of the stellar stampers, I'm a CASEr, and I KNOW that a bazillion cards are uploaded every day. So, realistically, I don't expect much.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you are mental!! LOL No seriously, it is human nature to want validation. I do too, and love comments. I haven't looked at your gallery on purpose as I write this because I hope you will understand that the amount of views/comments is often irrelevant --

1. there are a lot of amazingly talented stampers whose galleries are already bookmarked by hundreds of other SCSers. They've been on SCS for quite some time and may have been part of the dirty dozen. Some folks only check those galleries. This is the same for blogs. There is a community of stampers who know each other and link to each others blogs, etc. It isn't personal, it's just the way it is (yes, kind of like high school)!!

2. a lot of folks only skim the galleries and simply do not have time to post comments. It takes multiple clicks to post a comment and can be frustrating.

3. there are hundreds, if not thousands of cards posted every day. Even the time of day you post matters. Most cards are never seen by more than a handful of people.

4. the more comments you make the more you are likely to get.

Finally, try your best not to have it matter. I don't get an email every time someone comments on my gallery (not that my box was flooded with emails!!). I learned that I needed to stamp for MY pleasure and pride and not be too too concerned with what other folks think.

ps. I scour the galleries for great stampers who get few comments and feature them on my blog about once a week. I have one selected and coming up soon!~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for invitation to your gallery! I visited and left comments. You are sharing some all-time favorite styles - spinner cards, sliders.

I think the cards with the most views will remain advance release sets of what will be popular SU! sets. Everybody wants to see previews of the new sets. And a new and easy take on a current popular set will be popular, too.

As you can see from your 3-D butterfly, while it is true there are many individuals who have a following, it isn't always about who made the card, it's about the popularity of the stamp and the style, and the timing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

ME!
Well, I don't feel like a complete failure, but i'd really like my stuff to get more than 1 comment on them...some have none! And I LOVE my cards! I wonder sometimes why no one else likes them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninatar
Thanks for invitation to your gallery! I visited and left comments. You are sharing some all-time favorite styles - spinner cards, sliders.

I think the cards with the most views will remain advance release sets of what will be popular SU! sets. Everybody wants to see previews of the new sets. And a new and easy take on a current popular set will be popular, too.

As you can see from your 3-D butterfly, while it is true there are many individuals who have a following, it isn't always about who made the card, it's about the popularity of the stamp and the style, and the timing.
Yes, I forgot this very important point. SU demos with access to early buys of items tend to get many comments also! don't fret. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Joan, I would love you to scour my gallery! It gets lonely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap
ME!
Well, I don't feel like a complete failure, but i'd really like my stuff to get more than 1 comment on them...some have none! And I LOVE my cards! I wonder sometimes why no one else likes them?

Your cards are bright and cute - adorable!

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamalanie
Who else feels like a complete failure if their gallery uploads don't get very many (or any at all) comments?
I admit, I don't go in and comment as much as I should myself, but yet I take it personally and feel "snubbed" or at the very least "overlooked" and pout. Now I'm kicking myself in the pants (no easy task) and going to the gallery to comment on some lonely galleries. Anybody wanna join me? I think I will start doing this on Sundays when we can't upload anyway, we can still browse and comment!
{{{{{{{Mamalanie}}}}}}}

Everything's personal, if you're a person! ;) And, I'm not gonna tell you how you should feel.

Stuff to keep in mind, as others have pointed out:

While number of views and comments might be misconstrued as some sort of popularity contest, they shouldn't be, because they have to do with so many factors:
  • Timing of upload
  • Popularity of stamps/stamp sets
  • Advance release of new products to demonstrators, who will be the first to upload the cool new stuff
  • Popularity of the style
  • Vastly differing individual opinions on what constitutes "great" artwork
  • Color combination of the work
  • Layout of the work
  • Quality of the photography of the work
  • Familiarity among the membership at large
  • Size, and number of years you've had a gallery here
  • How frequently/regularly you upload new creations
  • Whether or not the artwork is tied to one of the challenges or other community events that occur here, such as VSN
  • The hundreds of uploads that occur here daily means that frequently, any single piece of artwork can be virtually LOST in a SEA of uploads
  • I could go on and on . . .
I have been here since 2003. Overall, if I were to analyze the # of views and comments my pieces have received in the last year, I'm betting that my work has significantly decreased in popularity.

I have pieces I consider some of my very best work ever, that receive very little notice, and pieces that I cringe in embarrassement over, that have received all kinds of notice.

It's very possible that it has a lot to do with the bulk of my work in the last year NOT being done within the current popular style "trends".

Shabby chic, distressed, layered, lots of 'bellies and ribbon, grunge, freestyle, etc. are very "hot".

Simple, bold/graphic, classic are not. And, over the last year, that's what I've been into, as far as my personal style development has gone. I figure I'm either waaaaay ahead of the trends, or more than likely: waaaaaaay behind it. chuckle! ;)

But, I really don't care. Personally speaking, I don't upload for views, or for comments or for validation by others.

I upload to share and to contribute back to others who have shared, by way of their uploads, with me. I've grown tremendously as an artist because of that sharing!!! :grin:

Do YOU like your artwork? Or, does the person you intended it for like it? Those are the 2 most important opinions, and the only ones that really matter, when you get right down to it, UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I usually only search for a stamp set and look at card made from that stamp set to get ideas. I wish I had tons of time to look at everything on the site but I'm sure its impossible! I don't think anyone should feel bad about not getting feedback. If you consider how busy all of us are in life its a wonder anyone gets feedback on any site. Maybe the best feedback is from our family and friends we send them to.

Happy Stampin'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, JulieHRR. You said it all, and said it well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

OMGoodness I'm the exact same way. It's like I need a little validation since everyone who posts here is so stinkin' talented! :mrgreen:
I get my feelings hurt when I upload a project and 50 or 70 people look and only 2 people bother to post any feedback. Like the card was so stinky that it wasn't worth anyone else's time...lol....
I don't think that's necessarily true...it just amazes me how some cards from the really well known SCS members can get three - five pages of feedback and others can be totally overlooked. When you're having your own pitty party it feels like a popularity contest...lol.
I think there simply so many hundreds up uploads each day that MOST people's work get overlooked a bit. It's only the very well know, the dirty girls, etc. that get lots and lots of feedback.
Tiffany

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #19  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Part of it could also be the slideshow - if I'm looking for ideas for a particular set, and just kind of want a quick general look, then I'll do the slideshow, and just let it run. I guess they all count as views, huh.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes