Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to EZ Mount

Does anyone have an alternative for EZ Mount. I need to unmount a ton of Older SU sets and don't think I could afford to purchase that many EZ Mount sheets. I want to be able to use them with my acrylic blocks.

I just need to find a less expensive way to turn my stamps into cling stamps.

Stamper Gail
Visit my Blog http://gbinette.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

You could just use Tack it Over and Over. You'd get a lot of stamps from one bottle, and the SU stamps are a good deep impression, I don't feel I have to have foam with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You could convert some acrylic blocks to Tack'n'Peel blocks -- it's a thin sheet of plastic adhesive basically. One side sticks to your blocks, and on the other side, you stick bare rubber, stamp and then peel them off. It costs around $8 for a pack that is really all you need to fit several blocks.

Here's a link: Tsukineko Tack N Peel Cling Sheet

As mentioned here, you can stick other things to it too -- found objects! Get your creative on ;^) .

I have also found that brand new SU stamps (the wood-mount-ready kind) will also work by leaving the backing paper on the brand new SU stamp. . . it will stick to the Tack'n'Peel and then is also removable with no damage to the backing paper.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cut up children's fun foam sheets and used them with unmounted rubber. I cut the foam to shape and use permanent glue to attach it to the stamp. On the other side, I use Aileen's Tack it Over and Over glue, which then holds the stamp to the acrylic block. I have not had to re glue the Aileen's side in years. The fun foam is thinner than EZ Mount, but works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I've also used adhesive fun foam and sprayed the bottom side with an aerosol repositionable adhesive... those have 'stuck' for years. Another alternative is using thin vinyl that you can buy by the yard - that can also be cut to size and will cling to your blocks.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I think I've decided that the fun foam and rubber cement is what I'm going to try on one side and the tissue paper, mono glue and vinyl for the other side. This has got to be a lot less expensive than buying all that expensive EX Mount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I've also used adhesive fun foam and sprayed the bottom side with an aerosol repositionable adhesive... those have 'stuck' for years. Another alternative is using thin vinyl that you can buy by the yard - that can also be cut to size and will cling to your blocks.
That was a bit too much work for me, guess I'm lazy...(and cheep). I used the original SU stickers and put it right on the foam then used Tack it Over and Over. One $3 bottle will do hundreds of stamps. The tack is secure but not messy.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to EZ Mount-unmounted-su-box.comp..jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is a "generic" version of EZ Mount, same exact thing without the namebrand. PM me if you would like more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Generic EZ Mount Sheets

Yes and thank you, I would love this information. You can PM me or email me at [email protected].

Thanks so much!
Stamper Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I found an alternative here ...
Cling Cushion Mounting Foam for Unmounted Rubber Stamps
Way less expensive!!

Last edited by twink-a-dink; 06-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: fix error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy just static cling vinyl sheets for about $1.
If you can remove a stamp, keep the cushion intact & there is enough stick left to have the cling vinyl stick to it, you could use this product to inexpensively convert your stamps to cling mount.

I have used this on unmounted stamps I bought that had sticky cushion on them for permanent mounting on wood blocks, which made them way too sticky for use on acrylic blocks.

You put the stamp on the vinyl & trim around it, leaving a little excess all around as it tends to shrink a bit after awhile. That's also a little something to grab when removing the stamp from the block. This sticks the same way EZ mount sticks to blocks.

Some stampers have had success with vinyl that can be found in a fabric dept (with the vinyl table coverings, by the yard). I forget which weight of vinyl, but the stuff I bought never worked as well for me as the cling vinyl sheets. It is inexpensive enough to give a try first.

Here is a tutorial & video on using the vinyl from a fabric store, plus how to create an index for the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper GailView Post
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I think I've decided that the fun foam and rubber cement is what I'm going to try on one side and the tissue paper, mono glue and vinyl for the other side. This has got to be a lot less expensive than buying all that expensive EX Mount!

Just an FYI, I tried the tissue paper once, it was a disaster. I also mounted about 10 sets onto vinyl, now the vinyl on most tof the sets will not cling to the block . I have 2 sets that will, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Check the thread titled "unmounting rubber stamps" in the mission organization forum.
Here is a great you tube video:

YouTube - Convert Wood-Mounted Stamps to Clear-Mount
I tried the you tube approach and I really love it (though I am ashamed to admit I didn't think of this myself: use the sticker and some mono adhesive, no cutting?? Who woulda thunk it?). No matter which one you decide on, try it with one or two stamps first, to make sure you like it This is from experience.

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 06-22-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

If you use the tack-it-over-and-over will the sticky side of the stamp stick to paper? Would it be sticky enough to stick to other stamps? Some of us are clumsy ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to ever use the expensive EZmount stuff. Just use the bare rubber with a small piece of double stick tape on the acrylic block. All you need is a stamping pad for under your paper. You can get the stamping pads from Darice. Kid's craft foam or mouse pad doesn't work as well since it's too soft. The stamping pad is a more dense material.

No need to purchase all that extra stuff except the stamping pad.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Lightbulb

I have seen a video on youtube where after a year or so, the tack it over & over has permanently stuck to the CD case. It was not pretty.

I also saw a video where cling had disintegrated from being on CD cases as well.

Another disturbing video, some CLEAR 1-dollar Target stamps had stuck to the CD cases as well as ripped and goo'ed - That was really bad.

From personal experience, nothing lasts forever. I have some 6-8 year old cling stamps mounted to EM pages, in binders, in 2 gallon bags (no humidity no harsh temps), also in another layer of protection, file boxes. While most are fine, some of the cling foam has shrunk (as if were undercut), some lost it's sticky (refreshing does not work), some are permanently stuck to the EM pages.

I love the concept of the tack-n-peel (along w/ foam backing), but it's more time consuming to refresh the sheet than it is to clean the stamps.

I also love the concept of the double sided tape on bare rubber. I hope the tape is acid free as rubber does not last forever either and acid will hurt the rubber. I can not get the hang of the stamping process w/ just tape on bare rubber (even w/ the stamping cushion pads). I may consider this method but w/ the foam padding.

Right now I am looking into buying a 75 foot roll of http://www.stampersbest.com/home.php?cat=3 ... $1.50 per 9" x 12" if cut as opposed to $4.50 per 8.5" x 11" for the name brand looks like the way to go for me.

I love hearing everyone's ideas on this topic ... I have been struggling with indecision for about 2 years or so on this.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but for those needing to make index sheets ...

For those who want to hand stamp the cling or taped images (saves a little time) ... get the biggest block you can find, put all the images that will fit on your index sheets accordingly, ink 'em all, stamp 'em all at one time (turn over and use a brayer as an option), and keep on going

For those who want to save a ton of time & supplies (not stamping, not using up all your inks, and not using up all your cleaner or baby wipe stash) ... this one is for you ... this works for wood mounted stamps (like those about to become unmounted) ... get the dust off your scanner, use the guides on the scanner to size the space to match the index sheet you will be making ... plop on the wood stamps = wood side (image) on scanner glass and hit print (I like to also save a graphic for back up purposes and a reference if one should be misplaced). Super FAST, Super EASY
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to EZ Mount-scanned-photos043-450x600afx.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The double sided tape (only takes a small piece in the middle of the stamp) I use does not stay on the bare rubber. It's on the acrylic block and is taken off after the stamping session. It's no big deal and certainly doesn't last all that long since I'm cleaning the stamp after each stamping. I don't find it necessary to worry about acid free products. Yes my baby wipes are free of any chemicals, scent or aloe though. I buy those for personal use also, so don't want anything on them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

SU has cling mount sheets in their new catalog for those unmounting their wooden stamps. I guess that means they know we are doing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I just tried the "putting tape on the back of a bare rubber stamp and then a pad under the paper" .....and it works GREAT!
Am also looking at the cling mount SU has though too.
Thanks for all this wonderful info.
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by twink-a-dinkView Post
I have seen a video on youtube where after a year or so, the tack it over & over has permanently stuck to the CD case. It was not pretty.

I also saw a video where cling had disintegrated from being on CD cases as well.
Link?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollyfanView Post
Link?
That was long before I started keeping links to videos, but if I run across these videos again, I WILL definitely post them here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimlynnView Post
I just tried the "putting tape on the back of a bare rubber stamp and then a pad under the paper" .....and it works GREAT!
Am also looking at the cling mount SU has though too.
Thanks for all this wonderful info.
Lynn
I just got my 75 foot roll of Cling Foam (FREE shipping too) from Cling Cushion Mounting Foam for Unmounted Rubber Stamps ...
$1.50 per 9" x 12" if cut as opposed to $4.50 per 8.5" x 11" for the name brand and whatever SU charges. This stuff is GREAT. LOVE it!

They also have storage panels that will fit any 3-ring binder as well.

There is a place on eBay that has cream color cling foam (only half as thick and w/ a green turtle on it). I bought some to compare. Don't waste your money on that thin stuff as it rips and tears a little too easily and can give you an uneven backing. I know another poster really likes it though, so I guess it's whatever works best for you

Last edited by twink-a-dink; 07-11-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Gail, You've gotten a lot of GREAT advice! If you are still in this process, here is a link to my blog post about unmounting old SU sets... keep the rubber AND the foam.... the only cost is $4 for a bottle of Tack It Over & Over.... The Williamson Clan: Unmounting stamps and organizing my craft area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine shared this YouTube with me. ‪Re-Mounting Wood Blocks.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Mostly for those that are
Re-Mounting Wood Blocks.wmv

This might help the rest of you too.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

You could use the Crafters Companion temporary stick and spray it is used with their rock -a- blocks. Its very good and very clean to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
No need to ever use the expensive EZmount stuff. Just use the bare rubber with a small piece of double stick tape on the acrylic block. All you need is a stamping pad for under your paper. You can get the stamping pads from Darice. Kid's craft foam or mouse pad doesn't work as well since it's too soft. The stamping pad is a more dense material.

No need to purchase all that extra stuff except the stamping pad.

Patti
I totally agree with Patti. I've unmounted ALL my SU wheels, and decided NOT to use EZ Mount. Instead, I just use double stick tape to adhere to the acrylic block and stamp on the pad mentioned. This works well. I've had NO problems. So, it's really just your choice what, if anything, you do with your unmounted stamps to use them. Try stamping with the bare rubber and then you'll know if this will work for you, BEFORE you invest more $ and time into your unmounted stamps. I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with. BTW---that stamping pad mentioned is CHEAP, good sized, and available at JoAnne's. I use it underneath everything I stamp. I just have it placed on my stamping table with my SU stamping paper over the top.

Good luck!
Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Hi - I'm just getting back into stamping. I have hundreds of um rubber stamps I need to go through to see which I want to keep.
I found a video on youtube on mounting stamps. I love the idea of stamping the image on the foam. She uses a cling mount that has a turtle logo on it. I am including the video link in hope that someone will know where I can purchases this type of foam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1OfuFMJy4
thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
That was a bit too much work for me, guess I'm lazy...(and cheep). I used the original SU stickers and put it right on the foam then used Tack it Over and Over. One $3 bottle will do hundreds of stamps. The tack is secure but not messy.

Here is a pic:
I did mine the exact same way and they are great!!
Reply With Quote Likes