Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on creating Wedding Invitation Business

I am considering starting a business to sell hand-made wedding invitations, etc. I would like to talk to someone who has been there, done that, and been successful. I have questions! I need answers! I would apprecitate any comments about taking on this endeavor. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Having sold wedding invitations in the past, all I can tell you is that if it's going to be worth your while, you'll need to find an upscale clientele who wants something unique.

The person buying her gown at David's Bridal who gets invitations there too because they're discounted isn't your customer. I would price out several ranges of invitations, and then price out doing a similar type yourself. Materials can get quite costly, and you might find that what you'll need to charge would price you out of the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Just adding another thought. This was true back when I sold invitations, and it seems to be even more true now. Everybody expects a discount. Google "wedding invitations" and you'll see that the majority of the listings advertise 10-25% off. Of course, you may want to play the game and jack up your "list prices" to offset that discount expectation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

*Make sure you have reliable sources.
*Having swatch books before you first client design consultation will make you look professional.
*Envelopes can be tricky; make sure you have some high quality ones sourced.
*Meet with people EARLY!!! Hand made takes time and sourcing problems will happen. If your client is requesting something special, keep that within your control; the bride will have a lot on her plate and if she wants a special charm or something, make it your responsibility to get it (you don't want to be waiting for her). Don't ask me how I know this one! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Always make an exact replica and have the bride ok it and proof read it. I can't tell you the # of times I have seen spelling mistakes, etc on invites.

I do agree that you would need an "upscale" cliental. Most of my friends getting married usually spend very little on invites. Or maybe it is just that big elaborate invites aren't really big in the south...i don't know.

Good luck if you decide to do this. You can check out www.theknot.com. That is the place to go if you are a bride. If you can get in good with those brides, you will have clients forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I agree with the amanda0711. Having just got married myself, and having designed & made my invitations...I can tell you it's def. something you need to have good resources for.

The best thing to do on theKnot.com is join the community and go onto the message boards. You can find brides who are always looking for invite vendors, etc. If you get "in" with people on there, they will recommend & refer lots of business to you. You can create a "bio" and have people look at it for reference of your work - or link to a webpage, etc.

Hope this helps you! Good luck on you endeavor - would love to get an update on how it works out for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd strongly encourage you to check out the existing market before doing anything! I had a friend ask me to do her invites. I learned a TON about what's out there, and while I had a wonderful time doing them for her cuz she and her now-dh are such sweeties, I'd never go into it as a business (something I toyed with when my ego was all puffed up when they asked! LOL).

There are some amazing artists out there (online even) who do incredible work at a cost that would put me in the poor house. So -- look at what's out there before going any further!

Best of luck on your jorney, wherever it takes you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure this is something you enjoy. Personally, making cards in an assembly line fashion is tedious for me. I did make the invitations for my nephew's wedding last fall, and it was a labor of love! ;)

Do you have an Archiver's near you? I love that store! They have a beautiful new line of stationery products called Yours Truly that would be wonderful for this sort of thing.

Best of Luck! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?\
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

My experience is exactly the same as jeaniebean55. I thought it would be a nice money-making little business - something I love doing and get paid for too! I did 2 weddings for DD's friends, as our gifts to them, and it was a LOT of work - a real labour of love. (I did invites, place cards, thank you's and order of service - pic of one in my Gallery). I would advise you to do one or two before setting up as a business (i.e. printing business cards, advertising, etc.). If you do, keep your portfolio simple and elegant. You could also make contact with a wedding planner in your area and pick her/his brains as to trends and prices etc. At the moment I'm working on ideas for my son's wedding invites - luckily he and his fiancee have simple tastes! (Needless to say I decided against doing them as a business ... LOL!)
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

*sigh* Not very encouraging. But thank you for all your replies. Gives me food for thought--although it isn't too tasty!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I've done four wedding invites (plus the "extras" ie. programs, menus, etc.), but I do a TON of regular invitations: Bridal Showers, Baby Announcements, Birthday Party, Graduation Party, etc. Right now I'm working on 30 invites for a 40th Surprise Birthday Party. Regular invitaions are waaaay less stressful. I enjoyed doing the wedding ensembles and would do it again, if asked. But I would never go out and market myself. All of my business is word-of-mouth anyway. With wedding stuff I feel everything has to be PERFECT (which stresses out this type A gal!), like every fold and crease, every cut, every stamped image, every ribbon perfectly straight, etc. With other invites, if one bow is a little askew, no biggie.

I agree with the above poster who said you need to have the right clientele. I recently did a 50th wedding anniversary invite. With the invite & envelope, response card & envelope, directions and accomodations card, I charged $10 each. They ordered 300. There are very few people who are going to spend $3,000 on invites!

Plus, brides are different to work with than other customers. They look through magazines and see stuff and think that you can recreate it exactly the same. I even had to buy certain fonts for one bride, because she insisted on them. They cost me $75 for the two of them. I have 500 fonts on my computer and she HAD to have those two that I didn't have.

Having said all that, I actually enjoy mass producing cards. But I wouldn't want to depend on it as my main source of income. It is a good way to pay for my stamping obession though!

Best of luck in your decision. Hope I didn't scare you too much!

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
I've done four wedding invites (plus the "extras" ie. programs, menus, etc.), but I do a TON of regular invitations: Bridal Showers, Baby Announcements, Birthday Party, Graduation Party, etc. Right now I'm working on 30 invites for a 40th Surprise Birthday Party. Regular invitaions are waaaay less stressful. I enjoyed doing the wedding ensembles and would do it again, if asked. But I would never go out and market myself. All of my business is word-of-mouth anyway. With wedding stuff I feel everything has to be PERFECT (which stresses out this type A gal!), like every fold and crease, every cut, every stamped image, every ribbon perfectly straight, etc. With other invites, if one bow is a little askew, no biggie.

I agree with the above poster who said you need to have the right clientele. I recently did a 50th wedding anniversary invite. With the invite & envelope, response card & envelope, directions and accomodations card, I charged $10 each. They ordered 300. There are very few people who are going to spend $3,000 on invites!

Plus, brides are different to work with than other customers. They look through magazines and see stuff and think that you can recreate it exactly the same. I even had to buy certain fonts for one bride, because she insisted on them. They cost me $75 for the two of them. I have 500 fonts on my computer and she HAD to have those two that I didn't have.

Having said all that, I actually enjoy mass producing cards. But I wouldn't want to depend on it as my main source of income. It is a good way to pay for my stamping obession though!

Best of luck in your decision. Hope I didn't scare you too much!
Krystal, Thank you for your reply--the most positive so far. I'm really not wanting to get rich--just make enough to not have to go back into the regular working world, 8-5 every week. My Texas connection might be able to get me to the right clientele and I will take to heart your advice about doing other types of invitations. I'm certainly not determined to do wedding only. I can see where the others would be less stress.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with a lot that has been said. I do invites/favors as a side business. I've only done two weddings (ordered my own), but a ton of showers and parties. Luckily I had free reign on the weddings (design wise) but the quantities are always so much larger that I get bored doing them.

If you do decide to specialize in weddings, make friends with other wedding vendors. Even managers of bridal registry depts at major dept stores. They ALWAYS get brides in registering, but haven't done anything else. Good luck!

Ooohhh also...make sure you get accurate counts needed. I've often had people tell me they need say 200 invitations and are planning for 200 guests. Well chances are they only need 125-150. This is primarily so you don't end up over buying supplies.

Last edited by MochaLatte; 02-02-2008 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Likes