Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #121  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a demo yet, but I am considering becoming one. I don't have a blog and I rarely even post in galleries online. So ultimately the new rules won't have a big impact on me.

I don't have a big problem with what they are asking, though. There is no reason to send a customer to somewhere else if you sell the product. I wouldn't go in to the grocery store and expect the staff to tell me, 'oh, don't buy those steaks - the grocery store down the road has a sale on.'

Now, if I'm looking for dry cottage cheese and they for some reason don't sell it anymore, yeah, I expect them to say to me, 'Try XY.' And yes, that example actually happened.

If a demo is hosting a show/workshop, they can pretty much be guaranteed that at least one person attending will know to say 'you can get that at Micheal's with a 40% off coupon.' It isn't the responsibility of the demo to do that - it is my responsibility as a consumer to do my research.

I am torn on the issue of giving credit.... it opens up a whole debate about what makes art for me... really, blue ribbon or green brads are just ribbon and brads. It is how they are USED that makes them ART. So really, for some products I would not have a problem not saying where I got 'em.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #122  
Polyshrink Goddess

if you are going to an event.. say an SU! stamp camp- I don't think you need or should be expected to bring/ use only SU products.
I go to an annual weekend retreat put on by a CM demo- I own like 2 CM products and am also an SU consultant, she doesn't care at all. I personally don't see a problem. jmo
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I have a question......I am not a Stampin' Up demo (I could never stay with just one line of products). I was asked to be part of a Card Swap by the Stampin' Up Consultant I order from at times. There are no guide lines for this Swap since it's the first one she is doing. My question is.......in light of what this thread is pertaining to, am I wrong to use products other than Stampin' Up?? I would find it very difficult, if not impossible to only use the one brand of products.

Just a comment.....I guess it would be wrong to go to a Stampin' Up event......camp, card club, etc and bring non-Stampin' Up products with you (adhesive, embossing products, scissors, etc.) even though you are not a Demo.

Please disregard my post if you feel I am going off topic for this thread. Reading the thread just made me think of these things.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #123  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
btw I am so torn about quitting. I am a hobby demo and although I do have help making my minimums, my help is dwindling and I find myself placing more big orders to stay active. PLUS I actually HAVE forsaken other stamp companies because I figure if I'm going to buy any stamps, I may as well buy ones that help me meet my minimums. So I'm sort of missing out on other companies' offerings because I want to throw most of my craft $$ at SU.
I totally understand, I do not make ANY selling SU, as I place all orders for myself. I am seriously contemplating my decision to stay with SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by megz86View Post
I totally understand, I do not make ANY selling SU, as I place all orders for myself. I am seriously contemplating my decision to stay with SU.
I'm with you. I do have a couple of customers that order from me, but not that often. I am my "best" customer and it is getting tough to spend that kind of money. I do like other companies stuff too and would like to have some of it(not that I would use it if I did a workshop for SU!),but can't afford to if I have to spend all my money on SU! all the time.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #125  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
The thing is that we are NOT employees of SU! We are independent demonstrators for them and it is considered "our" own business. If we were truly employees of them they would have to to things differently in the way of taxes and all.

Gail
This is true, BUT, we are under contract with them. We don't just up and say, oh, I think I will be an independent demo for SU, gee, lucky them.

We actually have to sign a contract and if we do sign their contract we have to follow the rules of the contract. Never have seen a contract that has no stipulations. When one "contracts" with a company to be an independent seller of their products, you are "partnering" with said company.

So get legalistic as you want with words, but we are "representing" and we are "affiliated" with SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #126  
Stampin' Fool

As a customer it's been interesting for me reading the few posts (but long) about the SU IDA - I am surprised at what SU is expecting from their contractors (yes that is what a demo is) - in the Info Tech world we would never get away with that (we can only control what contractors do on company time with company resources (our computers, our web sites, our software) - never what they do on their own time, with their own resources)....

I am considering not listing SU products when I post something on my blog as my little send back to them (I am thinking since they are being stinkers (this is just my opinion) I don't know if I want to give them free advertising)... Also going forward I think I will only buy their paper (because I love it best) and reinkers if I need it... Although I am thinking about giving Papertray Ink's papers a try....

This has been very bad advertising for SU... Again - this is just my opinion...

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #127  
Crimping Master

Hi!

Totally agree with ya, Kathy, and as a slight hijack, I just checked out your blog!! Love the idea of your Christmas card challenge and that Santa card with the Tim Holtz stamp is beautiful. You are very talented!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #128  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathy tuckerView Post
As a customer it's been interesting for me reading the few posts (but long) about the SU IDA - I am surprised at what SU is expecting from their contractors (yes that is what a demo is) - in the Info Tech world we would never get away with that (we can only control what contractors do on company time with company resources (our computers, our web sites, our software) - never what they do on their own time, with their own resources)....

I am considering not listing SU products when I post something on my blog as my little send back to them (I am thinking since they are being stinkers (this is just my opinion) I don't know if I want to give them free advertising)... Also going forward I think I will only buy their paper (because I love it best) and reinkers if I need it... Although I am thinking about giving Papertray Ink's papers a try....

Papertrey Ink paper is the BOMB. And if you order over 50, its free shipping, considering the the weight, amt of paper, and overall price, its the same!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #129  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TammyliaView Post
Papertrey Ink paper is the BOMB. And if you order over 50, its free shipping, considering the the weight, amt of paper, and overall price, its the same!
$55. Free shipping over $55 at http://papertreyink.com/
:mrgreen:
Actually, I calculated it out on my spreadsheet. Papertrey paper is a teensy bit cheaper for me (per sheet) than Stampin' Up!'s paper (after shipping and handling and 6.1% tax).

...and it's not the same. Papertrey's paper is 110 lb. SU! paper is 80 lb.

I'm not knocking SU!'s paper. I do have to use 80 lb paper if I want to print something on it. Papertrey's paper is too thick for my lousy printer. Also, those beautiful Martha Stewart lacey edge punches can't cut all the way through Papertrey's paper.

ETA:
I am calculating the Papertrey price based on free shipping. I have never put in an order UNDER $55 there so have always gotten free shipping.

Papertrey price per sheet: 18 cents
Stampin' Up! price per sheet: 26.75 cents
(assuming I get the $5.50 pack for 24 sheets. After shipping and handling and tax, the final price is $6.42 per 24 sheets for people in MY AREA only [6.1% tax])

Edited AGAIN to add:
If I get the Stampin' Up! $7.50 pack for 40 sheets (available in the neutral colours), after 6.1% tax, it is 21.88 cents per sheet.

Also, for all the Papertrey paper, I buy it (and calculated here) in the $9 for 50 sheets. For the smaller packages (12 sheets, etc.) it is more expensive per sheet: 25 cents per sheet for the 12 sheet pack at $3.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 09-11-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #130  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Actually, I calculated it out on my spreadsheet. Papertrey paper is a teensy bit cheaper for me (per sheet) than Stampin' Up!'s paper (after shipping and handling and 6.1% tax).

Thanks for posting that pricing per sheet information, it is very helpful. As one who will probably be leaving SU! I definitely want to check out more of PTI's offerings. I have a few sheets of their cardstock (received through on of the PIF threads) and I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #131  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I'm not knocking SU!'s paper. I do have to use 80 lb paper if I want to print something on it. Papertrey's paper is too thick for my lousy printer. Also, those beautiful Martha Stewart lacey edge punches can't cut all the way through Papertrey's paper.

ETA:
I am calculating the Papertrey price based on free shipping. I have never put in an order UNDER $55 there so have always gotten free shipping.

Papertrey price per sheet: 18 cents
Stampin' Up! price per sheet: 26.75 cents
(assuming I get the $5.50 pack for 24 sheets. After shipping and handling and tax, the final price is $6.42 per 24 sheets for people in MY AREA only [6.1% tax])

Edited AGAIN to add:
If I get the Stampin' Up! $7.50 pack for 40 sheets (available in the neutral colours), after 6.1% tax, it is 21.88 cents per sheet.

Also, for all the Papertrey paper, I buy it (and calculated here) in the $9 for 50 sheets. For the smaller packages (12 sheets, etc.) it is more expensive per sheet: 25 cents per sheet for the 12 sheet pack at $3.
Thank you! I also will be leaving SU. I am so glad to read these other options out there. I have never tried PTI cardstock but think I will eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

To me the difference is that SU demos are contractors but have a contract to sell the product, whereas an IT contractor typically has a contract to provide service. IMO, the sales relationship sets up a different expectation for the contractor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathy tuckerView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #133  
Gabfest Goddess

This past week, I started writing notes / comments.....one sheet has PRO's and the other sheet has CON's.....and at the top of both sheets has....Should I stay with SU?? For me, this really put things in perspective.

My main concern still boils down to whether or not I can whole heartedly sign a contract, I know I can not fulfill or abide by 100%. My standards and ethics just won't allow me to sign something I don't/can't agree with. I know full well, I would send a family member or friend a link to SU's competition. Its going to happen.

I'm now composing my letter to resign from SU. I will also state my reason's why to SU. As soon as this if finalized, I will then remove myself from the demo side of SCS.

I WISH the BEST for everyone!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #134  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been sesarching for but can not find a color comparison. Does anyone know if and where there is one? I really love my SU inks and have all the refills so they are going to last me forever, but I would love to switch to PTI paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #135  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post
Thanks so much for posting this. I have been sesarching for but can not find a color comparison. Does anyone know if and where there is one? I really love my SU inks and have all the refills so they are going to last me forever, but I would love to switch to PTI paper.
I tried googling just now, and only found tiny bits here and there (like one single comparison of Pure Poppy to Real Red, or New Leaf to Wild Wasabi). Nothing comprehensive.

I don't have any SU! papers, and only have 14 of Papertrey's colours, otherwise I would do a comparison for y'all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #136  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

If you go to Nichole's blog and scroll way down in the right column, she does a color comparison for many, but not all, of PTI's colors.

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #137  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberneckerView Post
If you go to Nichole's blog and scroll way down in the right column, she does a color comparison for many, but not all, of PTI's colors.

http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/

Thanks for the link. I like how Nichole show's them side by side. Its a GREAT visual.

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #138  
Die Cut Diva

It's so hard to get a good color representation on days like today when it's pouring rain, so I'm not even going to try, LOL.

But off the top of my head...

Choc Chip is really close to Dark Chocolate (PTI)
Really Red is really close to Pure Poppy (PTI)
Groovy Guava is kinda close to Melon Berry (close enough to use the ink for sure)
Rose Red is kinda like Raspberry Fizz (PTI)
Pixie Pink is kinda like Hibiscus Burst (PTI)
Always Artichoke is darker than Ripe Avocado (PTI)
Summer Sun is fairly close to Summer Sunset (PTI)

Enchanted Evening, Berry Sorbet, Aqua Mist, Scarlet Jewel are all unique. The PTI purples are different than SU, Lemon Tart is not close to Barely Banana, Spring Moss is different than any of the Soft Subtles greens, etc.

HTH~

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink

Last edited by babydal57; 09-11-2009 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #139  
Gallery Gazer

Wow!!! Thanks for all the help! I was actually on Nicole's blog and over at PTI placing my first order. I have yet another question. Are there 14 plus black current colors, the 2008 sampler? Do they have previous colors and discontinue them? I am obviously a newbie at PTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #140  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Wow!!! Thanks for all the help! I was actually on Nicole's blog and over at PTI placing my first order. I have yet another question. Are there 14 plus black current colors, the 2008 sampler? Do they have previous colors and discontinue them? I am obviously a newbie at PTI!
Forgot to mention and the edit option is already gone that I was only there but would have NEVER seen the comparison links. THANKS again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #141  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have not heard of colors being discontinued. I think the sampler does NOT include some of the new colors released in 2009, thus the difference.

HTH~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #142  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Yes, in the 2008 sampler, there are 14 plus black, here is the link to the sampler and it tells how many colors of each you get: http://www.papertreyink.com/pm_paper.html
From my understanding there are no plans to retire colors :mrgreen: and they don't have a certain number of colors to be released, Nichole has said as long as we buy them they will keep on making them!! :mrgreen:
I would also like to give a shout out for Gina's cardstock, I don't have all of the colors of hers like I do Papertrey, but her cardstock is also top notch!! And I love she offers a card base and layer base in her Pure Luxury white!! http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/cat...?categoryId=62

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #143  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I have not heard of colors being discontinued. I think the sampler does NOT include some of the new colors released in 2009, thus the difference.

HTH~
I see now! I was looking for another pack from 2007 or 2009 and not looking closely enough at the individual colors. There are several more. I will quit hijacking this thread now!!! Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #144  
Hardware Hotshot

I counted 21 colors plus black here:
http://www.papertreyink.com/pm_paper.html

Some of the newer colors aren't in the sampler. I know this month there is a new orange coming out (name escapes me) and I'm hoping for another color too - more colors are good! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was just on papertrey for the 1st time, they have some nice stuff and really great prices too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
I'm with you. I do have a couple of customers that order from me, but not that often. I am my "best" customer and it is getting tough to spend that kind of money. I do like other companies stuff too and would like to have some of it(not that I would use it if I did a workshop for SU!),but can't afford to if I have to spend all my money on SU! all the time.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #146  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I believe Papertrey is 110lb index and SU is 80lb cover. Both of those are about the same. I could not tell the difference so I gave dh and dd a sheet of each and neither of them could tell any difference in weight either. I guess your printer does somehow but mine takes both just fine.

I don't get why PTI says theirs is the heaviest cs available because I've bought WAY heavier cardstock at Marco paper in the past. I just don't like the colors they have so I quit but I still have some of it and it's noticeably thicker and heavier. Not to knock PTI-I like their cs even though I'm not crazy about the colors but I don't feel it's any heavier than SU paper. Maybe I'll weigh a sheet of each...

btw your price comparison is at full price right? I need to try it with my discount and see the difference before I'd switch. At any rate if I do drop, I'll be buying a bunch of SU cardstock before I do.
*(not directing my entire post at you gale just the weight comparison

I thought papertrey paper weight was cardstock not index?

To me if you compare SU's white to PTI's white there is no comparison. SU's is flimsy and PTI's is sturdy and can stand on it's own. I asked a few people as well which paper they like better (I didn't tell them which one was which) and they all picked PTI's because it was a lot sturdier. JM2C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I believe Papertrey is 110lb index and SU is 80lb cover. Both of those are about the same. I could not tell the difference so I gave dh and dd a sheet of each and neither of them could tell any difference in weight either. I guess your printer does somehow but mine takes both just fine.
You could be right; I have never actually run a piece of SU! paper through my printer. Only Wausau and Neenah's 80 lb papers.

I wasn't aware of the different "index" and "cover" scales!!

Quote:

I don't get why PTI says theirs is the heaviest cs available because I've bought WAY heavier cardstock at Marco paper in the past. I just don't like the colors they have so I quit but I still have some of it and it's noticeably thicker and heavier. Not to knock PTI-I like their cs even though I'm not crazy about the colors but I don't feel it's any heavier than SU paper. Maybe I'll weigh a sheet of each...
I dunno why they would say that either. I think at the time they probably WERE the heaviest?? They ought to modify their statement 'cause since then Gina K's has come out with 120 lb paper (index or cover - I dunno)!!! I haven't tried Gina K's yet, but will.

Quote:

btw your price comparison is at full price right? I need to try it with my discount and see the difference before I'd switch. At any rate if I do drop, I'll be buying a bunch of SU cardstock before I do.
Yes, it was at full price. I don't have access to the discount (not a demo).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #148  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post

To me if you compare SU's white to PTI's white there is no comparison. SU's is flimsy and PTI's is sturdy and can stand on it's own. I asked a few people as well which paper they like better (I didn't tell them which one was which) and they all picked PTI's because it was a lot sturdier. JM2C
Someone asked the questions about the weight, bond or cover as she is looking at purchasing a new printer, Nichole said it is cover paper and in a later post explained the difference:
There are two types of paper (bond & cover) so just listing off the weight is not descriptive enough for more professional applications. Basically, two papers could be described as 110lb, but if one is bond-weight and the other cover-weight, they would be completely different.

Bond means standard typing weight papers, which is why HP cardstock can list the same weight as ours, but it's obviously not as heavy duty.

Cover means a heavier cardstock (used for covers of booklets and such), which is what we carry.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I was intrigued and rummaged around the house. I had forgotten that I still have some SU!'s Gable Green!! I don't like that colour but bought it because that is my husband's FAVOURITE colour (I also found out that I have SU!'s Lavendar Lace)!! I ran a sheet through the printer and it did go through without any problems!

I also handed it and a PTI sheet to my husband in the dark, and he kept feeling each one, and then wiggled each one and said he couldn't tell the difference.

In high hopes (I so desperately want to print on PTI paper) I again ran a sheet of PTI paper through my printer. Same thing - it went through, but stopped halfway with an error. The SU! sheet got no error - just went through fine.

Anyhow, you're still right; my printer can tell the difference but does it really matter when my husband can't? (he gets most of my cards)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post

Oh my yes. The SU! white is an exception. My friend bought some and was soooooooooo disappointed that it wasn't as thick as her coloured SU! cardstock. She called our demo, who said it couldn't be exchanged (or returned?? Don't remember) 'cause she had already opened it. Then I called 1-800-Stamp-Up, and customer service simply kept insisting that it WAS the same thickness as the coloured cardstock. :twisted: It ISN'T!!! But our demo called back later to offer to buy it from her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #151  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been using Gina K's Pure Luxury Ivory card stock, and it's FABULOUS! So perfect for making no-layer cards. I think that Gina told me the white is waterproof (for those who want to use copics, prismacolor pencils with gamsol, etc.), and will not bleed through, but the Ivory is not. I did do some watercoloring with it, though, and it worked fine for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #152  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

The paper I bought from Marco's that is so thick was probably bought 5 or more years ago but they still carry it. I quit buying most others when I became a demo. BUT I just tried to punch PTI with my MS lace punch and it will NOT punch through. So even though I can't *feel* the difference there is one. That difference alone will actually make me NOT want to buy PTI because I like using my detailed MS punches and I also started wondering whether PTI would work in the cricut. I may try later. I can use SU paper with no trouble but I know some people have problems so I'm thinking PTI may not work in it.

You know Gale - my Martha Stewart lace punch won't punch through even my SU paper. Maybe I just got a bum punch from MS???

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #153  
Glitter Queen

I love SU products and I have been very good customer for the last nine years. I own over 600 stamp sets. I enjoy having family and friends over to stamp. I would never tell anyone to pay SU prices for any products that are not truly SU such as: tombow glue, snail adhesive, paper cutter, encore pads, stazon ink pads, stamp a ma jig and punches just to name a few.I feel that SU is going into too many directions and not concentrating on what made them the success that they are. STAMPING- I used to use SU snail adhesive and I use a lot on each card, but when I gave a set of cards to a friend for a gift, and she went to send the cards 2 of the cards had layers fall off. Why doesn't SU investigate a different line of adhesive? I love my ATG gun . I have read many Blogs of SU Demos who are on Design Teams in the past few years and love all their cards and I have never thought of going to another company. I just enjoy their talent and want to thank them for sharing. However,in the last two weeks after hearing everything that is going on I started going to PTI and Gina K. and I must admit I am very close to buying some of their products. I'm very sad for all the demos that are leaving and I will remain a follower of their blogs because of their talent. I believe that SU is losing many talented artists. This is a lose, lose situation for all involved and yet we all just want to stamp and share what we love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #154  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I don't mean the white but the colors. I haven't really compared the whites (although I have both) because I only use SU for solid stamping and PTI for copics. I've only compared the colored cs.

There's no 'cardstock' category in the chart I saw here: http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html (scroll down to the chart).

I also wish PTI had better patterned paper. I bought the set with the dots and they are not all straight which bugs the heck out of me. I can't even use it unless it's for something like a circle or a die cut shape. I'm glad someone posted the color comparisons though-I may need that someday. I've decided I'm going to order enough paper to meet this quarter's minimums with SU but I will probably drop in Jan/Feb unless Sale a Bration helps me out.
Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion? Sorry, it's late and that thought made me giggle.

Love your avie by the way. Firefly never should have been canceled!

As for the great paper weight debate, I have noticed a difference in the weight. Especially in the neutrals (which we all know SU's VV and WW are thinner than the other colors), but mostly in Kraft. I bought several packs of SU's Kraft a few months ago and almost sent them back. They were noticeably thinner and flimsier than the ones I'd bought only a few months before. (I seem to be stuck on Kraft lately so I'm going through a lot of it.) Papertrey's Kraft is so thick it's almost box weight, meaning it'll make one heck of a sturdy box for a paper box. It was noticeably thicker before SU thinned theirs out and now it's just a monster compared to SU's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #155  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I don't mean the white but the colors. I haven't really compared the whites (although I have both) because I only use SU for solid stamping and PTI for copics. I've only compared the colored cs.

There's no 'cardstock' category in the chart I saw here: http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html (scroll down to the chart).

I also wish PTI had better patterned paper. I bought the set with the dots and they are not all straight which bugs the heck out of me. I can't even use it unless it's for something like a circle or a die cut shape. I'm glad someone posted the color comparisons though-I may need that someday. I've decided I'm going to order enough paper to meet this quarter's minimums with SU but I will probably drop in Jan/Feb unless Sale a Bration helps me out.
Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion? Sorry, it's late and that thought made me giggle.

Love your avie by the way. Firefly never should have been canceled!

As for the great paper weight debate, I have noticed a difference in the weight. Especially in the neutrals (which we all know SU's VV and WW are thinner than the other colors), but mostly in Kraft. I bought several packs of SU's Kraft a few months ago and almost sent them back. They were noticeably thinner and flimsier than the ones I'd bought only a few months before. (I seem to be stuck on Kraft lately so I'm going through a lot of it.) Papertrey's Kraft is so thick it's almost box weight, meaning it'll make one heck of a sturdy box for a paper box. It was noticeably thicker before SU thinned theirs out and now it's just a monster compared to SU's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #156  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

HAHA. Yeah I thought that at first. So I checked and checked (both the paper and my cutting) and then I came here and found a thread about it so I wasn't the only one. :p

No matter though-the fact that I can't use all of my punches on it and probably not the cricut either (haven't tried yet) is a dealbreaker for me.
Because we can change the cut speed and blade depth on the cricut I'm not sure I'd give up on it just yet! Be sure to try first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #157  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember similar discussions years ago on cross stitching boards and tatting boards. I recently finished tatting (lacemaking) a bookmark that does not lie flat or straight because I used a variegated thread for it.

The deposit of color into a material will change the thickness. In thread it is not noticable until you use it. Large areas stitched in white will allow slightly more fabric to show through, or appear to be thinner stitches, than a similar area stitched with dyed or colored threads.

The same appears to occur in paper and cardstock. The color itself probably doesn't affect it as much as the amount of dye required to achieve that color in the paper. That is probably why the SU white is thinner than the SU colored papers.

As for kraft paper, that would depend on whether the original paper was made from bleached or unbleached fibers. Unbleached fibers could be used to make kraft paper and then it would be as thin as white. If kraft paper is made by starting with bleached fibers and then dyed to achieve the "kraft color" that would give you thicker paper.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #158  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
Because we can change the cut speed and blade depth on the cricut I'm not sure I'd give up on it just yet! Be sure to try first!
Gale, I just cut a very detailed Aurora princess on my Cricut Expression using PTI's Sweet Blush cardstock. I used Speed 2, Pressure 4 and Depth 4. She came out beautiful and clean with no ragged edges at all.

So you CAN use PTI in a Cricut. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #159  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not a demonstrator but really hate to see all of you talented stampers jump ship. Stampin up products are really awesome, or you wouldn't be doing what you do.

Why don't all of you protesters just not sign and then come Oct. 1 ,I really think Stampinup will have to take a look at how many people they will lose.

Kind of a Demonstrators union strike!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #160  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm staying with Stampin'UP!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes