Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you buy your Copics? What kind do you buy?

I've never used Copics before. I follow Taylored Expressions' blog and I love the coloring that is done using Copic markers.

I've researched a bit on the web and notice there are a few types of Copics, various sets you can buy, and that they are quite pricey.

My questions are:
1. Where do you buy your Copic markers?
2. Do you have sets or buy one at a time? Do you recommend one vs. the other?
3. If a beginner like me is interested in coloring with Copic markers, what suggestions do you have as far as the investment in certain colors goes?
4. What type of Copic markers do you buy? Is the Sketch the best for coloring stamped images?

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Best thing to do is to take a copics 101 course if you can. I learned a lot about which to buy and and how to buy through one of those. There are also some sites that recommend which copics to colour certain stamps or sell colours that blend well together
Flourishes is one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

here's the Copic FAQ thread that will surely answer all of your questions!

Copic FAQ by ilikemarkers at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Great advice Dragonwold! YouTube is also helpful, just search "Copic Tutorials" there's plenty that are especially good for stampers as opposed to comic artists. Another great place to find groupings already put together for you is an Angel Company Angel. Copic put together sets exclusively for TAC. They contain a dozen Sketch markers with 3 each of 4 color families; a light, medium, and dark of each. The sets cost around $80 and are really great way to jump in learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Does anyone know what store sells copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Hobby Lobby sells Copic but have a very limited supply in my area, a hobby store in town also sells them but they too have a limited supply. Some LSS stores carry them, you will have to check with any local stores in your area.
Of course many on line stores sell them and if you are a beginner a place like Flourishes can get you started with natural blending colors. It sure save on the guess work to knowing what shades will blend well together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have almost all the sketch markers. I'm missing about a dozen of the grays and flourescents and that's all.

I've bought the vast majority of mine from Oozak.com: 'eCustomer' Service at it's BEST! Register for great prices and super fast, same day shipping. And shipping is free with a $50 order which is not at all hard to do buying Copics.

I love them and they are among my most used crafting tool.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a Ciao set on Ebay and I'm filling with the Copic Sketch that I purchase at EllenHutson.com
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blick art materials sells them for $4.87 each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I get mine thought the Oozak.com store. They mail them to me super quick and have the best price online. Their price is cheaper once you set up a login name/account. I have ordered with them several times and always get super quick and great service. I get my stuff within the same week that I order (I live in TX, in case you wanna compare distance that it would take to ship to you). I have never bought mine in the sets. The sets come with 12 different colors. I always buy mine in "color" groups so that I can get 2-3 colors that will match together....i.e. I want to have three green colors that I can use together or three browns that I can use together for example E33, E35, E37; That way I can do shading and such and can expand that set later by adding E31, E39.....

I usually get the sketch ones because I prefer the size, but will get the Ciaos for markers whom I know I will use less frequently do to the color.

My local Hobby Lobby store and one of the local University Art stores sells the markers too.

Cheers,

Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I get my Copics from Paper Maniac- - Paper Maniac LLC
Patti sells Ciao's and Sketch, she also has sets, and a monthly copic club if you wanted to start your collection that way. Great prices and super-fast shipping too!!
good luck!! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've gotten a couple of sketch markers and refills at Creative Play stamps. Shipping is fast and free if you spend $50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Oozak is the best buy! Great prices, quick shipping and great customer service. I bought alot of the Originals, but I prefer the sketch or caio better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
Hobby Lobby sells Copic but have a very limited supply in my area, a hobby store in town also sells them but they too have a limited supply. Some LSS stores carry them, you will have to check with any local stores in your area.
Of course many on line stores sell them and if you are a beginner a place like Flourishes can get you started with natural blending colors. It sure save on the guess work to knowing what shades will blend well together.
Some how I knew someone was going to say HL and the closest one near me is 1 1/2 hours away. I keep telling hubby I would love some copics for Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Dick Blick also sells their own brand and are a LOT cheaper. I got the set of 96 for under $120.00 and love them. that included shipping also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi Torie! Copics can seem a bit confusing when you haven't had anything to do with them before, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy.

Question 1 - there are many, many places to buy Copics both in the USA and Australia (where I'm from) - but I'm unsure what places there are in Italy where you are! If you can buy online, try Flourishes or perhaps icopic.

Question 2 - Personally I wouldn't buy the large sets, but some companies sell their markers in packs of 3 or 4 blending groups which is a much better alternative. If you are starting and have limited funds, perhaps pick a few colours and then find a 'friend' to go with it. ie. if you choose R20, get R22 to go with it. Also pick lighter rather than darker!!!

Question 3 - When it comes to picking colours it is a very personal thing and really depends on what you plan on colouring....for example if you are colouring only flowers and botanicals you don't need skin tones whereas if you are colouring people, skin tones are essential!!

Some of my favs are -
Reds - R20, R22, R24, R29, R59 or R30, R32, R35, R37
Pinks - RV10, RV13, RV14 or R81, R83, R85, R89
Yellows - Y13, Y15, Y17 or Y11, Y21, Y35 or Y32, Y35, Y38 (more golden yellow)
Greens - G21, G24, G28 or YG11, YG13, YG17 or YG93, YG95, YG97 (olive green)
Browns - E31, E33, E35, E37
Oranges - YR12, YR16, YR18
Blues - B21, B23, B26 or B32, B34, B37 (also good for blue jeans)
Blue/Violet - BV00, BV02, BV04
Purples - V01, V12, V15, V17
Skin tones - E000, E01 (R20 good for blush) pale skin or E13, E15, E17 (Native American Skin) or E25, E27, E29 (African American Skin)
Greys - C1, C3, C5, C7
Aqua - BG000, BG01, BG05
Dark Aqua - BG11, BG72, BG78
Blender Marker

Question 4 - Most papercrafters prefer the Sketch or Ciao markers. They have the same nibs, the sketch does hold more ink though is costs a little more, but you have to refill it less. The Sketch is also compatible with the airbrush system, so if you are planning on airbrushing, go sketch. Ciaos come in 144 colours, Sketch comes in 334 colours. I have a range of both.

I hope this helps!
My Blog - Inspired to Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by andismiledView Post
I've never used Copics before. I follow Taylored Expressions' blog and I love the coloring that is done using Copic markers.

I've researched a bit on the web and notice there are a few types of Copics, various sets you can buy, and that they are quite pricey.

My questions are:
3. If a beginner like me is interested in coloring with Copic markers, what suggestions do you have as far as the investment in certain colors goes?
4. What type of Copic markers do you buy? Is the Sketch the best for coloring stamped images?

TIA!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the Copic Markers I have. I've bought from this place Oozak
As long as you spend $50.00 or more you'll get FREE shipping.

I buy from time to time...Just the color's I want. This site has GREAT customer Service too.

And if you want to buy just a few at a time you can get first class shipping.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I am a big fan of Pro Markers. They are the "UK version" of Copics and I like the tips a whole lot more than Copics! They don't come in quite as many colors, but waaay more than the average crafter could possible need. I buy mine at JoannaSheen.com - it's a craft site in the UK but she has free worldwide postage and packing! Best thing about Pro Markers is they are literally half the price of Copics- about $2.50 each and the quality is stellar. They are made by Letraset, and if you go to their website, you can download a color chart. Come to think of it, you can download a similar chart at Joanna's website, so save yourself a trip! Believe me, they really are wonderful!
God Bless
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

www.oozak.com Create a login and it will give you their customer prices, they're cheaper.
I purchased mine a few at a time, it was cheaper that way and I could buy them in shading sets (light, medium, dark).
They can get quite pricey. Buy a few basic colors in sets of 3 shades and play around with them first. It will help you get an idea of what to expect without making a huge investment, you can always build your collection once you find out how awesome they are.
I buy ciaos simply because they are cheaper. I have several sketch markers and I love them, but to me the price difference isn't worth it. Either sketch or ciao will have the same tips. Ciaos hold less ink, have round barrels, and don't have the number embossed on the lid. Sketch hold more ink, have oval barrels, and have the number embossed on the lid.

What works for me: Memento ink, Neenah solar crest cardstock, scratch paper under my cardstock and a light touch.

When you first start out, have some patience with yourself, it takes a while to understand the blending techniques and concepts. Practice, practice, practice and take a class if they offer one near you. But most of all, have fun with it!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

1. I buy my markers from merriartist.com or oozak.com. Oozak is slightly cheaper than Merriartist.
2. I bought them as singles. I like picking my own colors. I looked at recommendations online and bought colors I saw recommended over an over.
3. Look at a few images you would like to color and then buy a few markers to do that. Start with a few because its such a huge investment and many people find out they dont really like to color.
4. I buy sketch. I like how the numbers are on the ends, the oval barrel and slightly bigger size. Sketch have a brush nib and a chisel nib. Original have a brush nib and a bullet nib. You may prefer the bullet nib if you color very tiny images.

make sure you use good paper and an ink that wont run, such as memento or palette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Oozak doesn't have international shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

1. Where do you buy your Copic markers? I buy my Copics at Carpe Diem when they have sales.

2. Do you have sets or buy one at a time? Do you recommend one vs. the other? I rarely buy sets of anything because I get colors I don't use.

3. If a beginner like me is interested in coloring with Copic markers, what suggestions do you have as far as the investment in certain colors goes? I follow the method of buy 3 of a hue (light, medium, and dark) for the colors I use most often. You then color the medium and dark colors on a CD case and use the lightest color to pick-up the darker colors and do blending. I only have about 50 and don't feel the need to have anymore. Also, it limits how many refills I have to buy.

4. What type of Copic markers do you buy? Is the Sketch the best for coloring stamped images? I have a mix of sketch and ciao depending on the color and the availability. I don't see a difference is coloring but the Sketch markers don't roll around my work table. I also like that the numbers are on the sketch cap but I actually have more ciao than sketch.

The best advice is not to get to crazed with them. Buy a few and use them awhile to make sure you'll really an truly use them. They take a bit to master and they do take longer to color an image. It's a big investment and as wonderful as they are, they are still "just a marker."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oozak and creative play stamps offer the best in my opinion, if you order it you get it.
Some places you go through the ordering to find out when you have placed the order they tell you it's no longer available, urgh. They also have free shipping with a decent purchase price. Haven't tried any others. I like sketch since the coded color is
on the ends of the markers, versus ciao on the side, which would have to lay flat to
see color numbers, though people do put numbers on the ends, not sure if that sticks
to markers very well.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes