Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you call it quits?

After how many stamp sets do you start to say I think I have enough.So why is it I can't stop buying them or can't wait until the next mini comes out or the next huge catalog.

How long do you hold onto a set before trading it in for something else.I mean how many times do you use it before getting rid of it.or do you just keep them all forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll have to get back to you on how many are enough....because I don't think I will ever reach that point. I'm a keep them all forever kind of gal...but eventually my husband might shoot me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #3  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Can one have *enough* stamps? I think not!

I've had the majority of my stamps for almost 20 years. Slowly I am just now starting to thin them out and sell the in lots on the bay. I'm in a fortunate situation where I have plenty of space... so until I run out room I'll probably just keep adding to my collection. ;-).

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do always want more. . . stamps, inks, ribbons, buttons, tools. My sister teasingly told me "You can never get enough of what doesn't satisfy." LOL She was into stamping years ago when I thought she was crazy. Now I'm the crazy one and she has moved on.

Here's how I question myself: Am I finding joy in creating? Am I bringing joy to others by my creations? Is it causing contention in my family?

If I'm ok with all the answers, then I keep going. If not, it's time to make a change of some kind. (Getting rid of the kids probably wouldn't be the right change.;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Enough? Hmmm...not sure that will ever happen. I'm such a dork. I keep evey set I buy. I've never sold or traded any of them, even though there are some I really just don't like. I keep thinking..."what if I need them someday?"
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

the day i have enough will probably be the day they put me in the ground! lol ! Well I will probably be 90 years old and still stamping! and my poor children will be so over whelmed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have finally started setting some of mine aside that I haven't used for a long time and I am eventually going to sell them. It will be hard for me to part with them, but they are getting lonely from not being used. I think the reason I keep buying more is my style and taste keeps changing.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksmom917
Enough? Hmmm...not sure that will ever happen. I'm such a dork. I keep evey set I buy. I've never sold or traded any of them, even though there are some I really just don't like. I keep thinking..."what if I need them someday?"

That's me, but then again, that's how I am about everything. I've been watching those shows on HG TV that tell you to get rid of things you haven't used. I'm trying hard, but stamps have never been in the bag for Goodwill. If only I had a craft room.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm with all of the other gals. I have about 120 SU sets, and a bunch of Non-Su stamps (mosly animal stamps and sentiments) and can't picture getting rid of them. Ever. Never ever. LOL!

Amysings said it perfectly: as long as I am enjoying them, I'll keep them. I literally have one (okay, MAYBE two) sets that I probably should sell, that I have literally never used. If I ever have "extras" (like duplicate sellabration sets), I give them to my Grandma, who loves to stamp but doesn't spend the money on herself very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

That is sweet jen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Hmmmm....stamps is kind of like shoes....can you really have too many?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh good, I thought I was the only one that is a forever and ever keeper...I see so many buy, sell, trade places, and e-bay, that I wondered if I had a problem letting go(I do!). I don't collect shoes, or purses, or jewelry. I have a modest wardrobe, so almost ALL my "me" money goes to stamps and/or supplies. My family also knows to quit asking me what I want for Valentine's day, Mother's Day, birthday, and Christmas! No such thing as too many except one small little problem...I am military so I have to keep MOVING them all over the place...won't let the movers have them, so I'll just eventually have to get a bigger car!!haha what a great thread hee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksmom917
I've only been stamping for a couple of years, but I look back on what I bought in the early days--what was I thinking??? Soooo not my style now. But when I pull out a couple of sets I think I could get rid of, I'll find **one*** stamp in the whole set that I ***think*** I may use SOME DAY. I do have a large craft room, but geez, it's starting to get crowded in there. Time to be ruthless and start getting rid of the stuff I've never even touched.
Right??? Somebody give me a push in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell sets that I haven't used in a while. It helps buy more cocaine, I mean rubber!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not stopped buying new sets, but I have stopped expanding the area that I keep them in.... Meaning for every set that comes in, one has to go out.

I get rid of the sets that haven't seen the light of day for the longest time. Some of them I really like, but NEVER use. I can't justify holding on to them. I'll just keep the catty they were sold in and think back on them with fond memories! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I have not stopped buying new sets, but I have stopped expanding the area that I keep them in.... Meaning for every set that comes in, one has to go out.

I get rid of the sets that haven't seen the light of day for the longest time. Some of them I really like, but NEVER use. I can't justify holding on to them. I'll just keep the catty they were sold in and think back on them with fond memories! ;)
Wow! You're discipline! I have the same rule for clothes, one in one out.
I can't do that with stamps! Now I have 300+ sets, it's getting a bit
crazy in my closet. I wish I could be satisfied with just looking at the
catty, but I love it when I go through each set and look at all my
stamp collection.

YF
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not clothes shop anymore. My clothes are fine. If that tells you anything, from a former, shopaholic...I look at stamps, and go to the hobby shops...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so glad to hear I am not the only person who can't let go of my stamps. My DS has a friend (they are 12) and she loves to stamp so I gave her a couple sets that I thought I never use. I gave her some old stamp pads and some other embellishments and accessories. I have since wondered "what was I thinking" because at least 3 times since then I wanted to use one of the stamps sets I gave her. I have way to many- even some sets that I haven't even mounted yet. But you never know when you will want them right. Oh well, at least I know I gave them to a good cause. She just loves them and her parents don't really have the money to buy them for her. But I still miss them. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

When you start to run out of space. I just started selling off some of my stamps this year on ebay. I wen tthrough all the iris carts and pulled out sets I don't use or haven't used in over a year. Why keep it if you don't use it when someone else will. Besides there is only so much room a person can have to store this stuff and if I want new stuff some of the old has to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I was selling sets that I haven't used only to buy newer sets and to upgrade on the newer styles too.I was also thinking that maybe once that i have used certain sets more than 5 or 6 times in my scrapbook maybe its time to change the set for something else.I mean my kids pages will have a lot more different looks doing it this way If I change the theme a little bit more as they grow older.Some sets that I trully love like for christmas card sets will stay with me a little longer but after 4 or 5 christmas's I will probably change the set for newer looks.Saying also,I need to find some different saying for the insides of the cards.

But space is getting very limited.so once they haven't been used in a while it's out with the old and in with the new while I can still get the same value on them as long as people are willing to pay the same price.but only if they are in great condition.I do treat my wood so very little staining on them if any.

I only wish that SU would start selling the cling backs for some of us to use as an option to mount to acrylic blocks.since some of us are limited to so much space.it would make things easier for a lot of us and we would be able to buy a lot more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

One can never have enough stamps! I love my stamps!!! I love buying stamps! I buy them for my best friend for birthdays and holidays so she will have lots of stamps too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I have reached that point. Although it has taken me 14 years and 6,000+ stamps, not to mention all the supplies that go with stamping to get there.
I haven't purchased any stamps since July of 2005. I retired from being a SU demo and I am fine with that.
As for space, I unmounted 90% of my images. I took them off the wood blocks and the foam mounts. It took some time but I'm happy with the results. I have never sold a set I have owned so space was becoming an issue, this unmounted system allows me to keep what I have and that works for me.
I did take my stamp money and purchase a bunch of dies for my Sizzix machine but I have plenty of those now to play with too.
I'm stamping and looking for ideas just as much as before so my love of stamping hasn't diminished. I think "enough" just depends on the person. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I just barely started looking at the FSoT area in the last week. Wondering what sets I could trade away. Some of them feel like my babies and I could never trade them away. I look at other sets that I have never used and think--why are you still here?

Then I'm thinking....hmmmmm there's alot of stuff in the catty that I want. But then I think, who would want the stamps I don't like anyway?

My craft room is TOTALLY CRAMMED with stuff. I have a ton of SU!, CTMH, Making Memories, and Topline Creations scrapbooking supplies. I have catalogs, magazines, soooo much stuff! I haven't used a sticker in 5 years. But I have a drawer full of them. I can't imagine how much money spent is in that room. I'll bet there's close to $10,000 in there. I have 10+ years of stuff. <ohhh, I'm gonna be sick>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I've only been stamping for about a year and I have spent WAY too much on stamps and supplies already ... hubby would NOT be impressed if he only knew (thank goodness I am in charge of the money, lol). Every day I ask myself why do I NEED all these sets? Some of them are brand new and I havent even used them yet! I think I am going to challenge myself to use every single set at least once before I buy any more (well, after the background sale this month of course, lol) ... I never thought I could become this addicted to a hobby! I didnt even have a hobby until my early 40's when I started scrapbooking, which has branched out into stamping ... how did I live this long without this hobby? LOL. Just wish I had more space. We have a small house with no extra room ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Never have too many. There's always room for more. Get rid of old sets? Not a chance. Some of my favs are ones that are retired. Still use them for personal use, cards, scrapbooks........ Always room unde the bed for boxes. Stamp Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

i've only gotten rid of sets i just don't like or know it's definately not my style anymore. when i first started stamping, some of the sets i've gotta wonder....what in hade's pub was i thinking!!!:confused:
my style has changed, learned and expanded with techniques, styles, etc.

it really is amazing how fast it all adds up! and yes, dh would die if he knew how much $$ is actually in my room!! :rolleyes: ;)

i laughed about the stickers! i haven't used any in probably over 2 years! but i can't part with them yet, nor will i let the kids have them. what to do? what to do?:???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Stamp Happy

I guess stamping makes us feel happy and who can resist that feeling- being happy and creative. I am changing my approach though-I will be buying way less and think of my collection as a well rounded one. A few sets or one set in my own personal fav's collection. I do not have much space. So I had to come up with my top 5 catagories and stick to it. (this is what I did)(vintage,novelty,flowers,adults B-day,child B-day,plus one for each smaller holiday like Easter or Val-day etc... and a few for Christmas.My goal is to use what I have more!I really like my sets and I have a lot.I have to save money sometime. So "Now" is a good time. I will use them all this way. My collection is ample enough for me and I do feel happy when I re-visit what I have.It is a good creative challenge to use the stamps I have in an up-dated trendy way. It can be done!I am on the path to get even more satisfaction from my hobby and this is what I am doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH was doing our Taxes the other day and when it came to where I was suppose to sign, it had occupation...he said "You know, your a stamp collector". So I guess you never have enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Smile WOW

BUMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I have thousands and thousands of dollars invested in my craft addiction (stamps, paper, ribbon, embellishments, yarn,...) and it's truly sickening right now. I have so much stuff that I can't even find things anymore! I am slooooowly going through it, asking myself whether I'm actually going to use it or just hoarding. I have many stamps from my early stamping days (pre-SU) that I've simply outgrown. They're no longer my style, and I'd rather pass them on to someone that I know can use and appreciate them. I've given boxes and boxes of stuff to our church - children's and women's ministries. I've given away some things to friends and acquaintances that I know are on a tight budget. I've also ebayed some things that I know will bring a good price; if it's not going to sell for over $20 bucks, though, I don't think it's worth my time to list it. I have hundreds of SU sets, and some haven't even been mounted. Do I feel like I have enough? Yes - until I see the new mini and then the deep desire to own more kicks in. I'm trying to resist, really I am!!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

tah dah just think if you sell your older sets that are of no more interest to you other are always intereseted .It not only gives you a good reason to clean up and know what you got but you can put that towards newer sets.that what I do I sell my older sets that I no longer want or like to male room for newer sets.I have close to 100 su sets.and quite a lot of non su sets.I like to sell or trade them now while others are looking for them and I can still get almost the same as what I paid for them since they are still in almost new shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

The answer to the question of this thread, is *never*... I look it as an ongoing process or recycling. I buy what I like and sometimes I realize my style has changed, or I haven't touched some stamps in a long time and don't mind letting go of them then I will either eBay (nonSU) or trade them. There will always be new stamps and supplies that come out in new fashion and I will always be interested in them. I don't see myself ever quitting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:00 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

I'm not saying I will ever quit.I love stamping,I'm just saying when do you stop buying stamps.but I quess I can keep buying as long as I plan on getting rid of some of the others I don't use that often.but sometimes it's hard letting go.But when you are limited to only so much space.lIke me I have lots of room to store it's just I tend to look more at the photo's and magazines more than I stamp.I keep saying I am going to start going through all the inspiration sheets and do some layouts then once I have used them a lot I will trade or sell them in less it's a set I just can't let go of.I know you can use sets a lot since they are very versatile.But I want to make room for others also.and it's so hard to let go of some sets.but like you said the newer styles come out and it's so hard to resist buying them.

I can't even think about having 3000 stamps sets.People are telling me now I have a mini store.I have only been scrapping for about 3 years and stampin for about 2 1/2 maybe.I am a very compulsive buyer I guess that's my problem when I start a hobby I am automatically obsessed with it almost right away.Maybe because I like crafting so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

I have thinned out my collection quite a bit, when I started stamping I wasn't as smart as I should be. Now that I know my style, and can identify a verstile stamp set that I will use I have gotten rid of many. I love this site though, because if I think I want to get rid of a stamp set I cruise the gallery and find new ways to use it.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I've just started stamping about 3 years ago so most of my stampsets are still new to me and I just cant part with them. Luckly my mother loves to stamp and we pass sets back and forth but if we each really like a set I make sure we have one at each household. OK - OK - if I really like a set I make sure there is one at her house for me to play with - lol lol The bad part is she can tell how much I'm spending when I bring a bag to her house.

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I don't think I'll ever say "I have enough", though it does seem that companies recycle their ideas and come out with similar sets every few years. So I'm sure I'll eventually slow down. But I've never gotten rid of a set. Some I've only used once, some I use dozens of times. I'm sure I'd use them all even more if I didn't have a family to take care of....maybe when I'm old and gray! (wait, my mother is 63 and still has no gray hair!) Agh!
The question really becomes, "Where do I PUT them all?!?!"

- Krista

mother to Ryan (3 1/2), A.J. (2), both born at home, and babe #3 (due Aug. '06)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

I wish I had a close family member who liked to stamp as much as I do.I have my sister in law who I stamp with once a month but she lives in a few towns away from me I wish she was a lot closer so we could swap back and forth a lot more.I wiah I had someone next door so I could just run over and say hey what do you have that I don't have and get some images from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

You can never have enough stamps! I have over 200 and I keep on getting them. I guess I'm addicted!

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Lisa62 - I just love sharing my stamping addiction with my mother and since it is her fault I started she has to play with me. lol lol

When I moved back home after 17 years, I wanted to spend time with her and she was taking these classes at the LSS and after about 2 months I was hook. So, between us we have about 100 stampsets and tons of other stamping supplies.

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
After how many stamp sets do you start to say I think I have enough.
Does that ever happen?! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes