Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Living in Kansas, but my heart is at OSU with my DS!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think

I was at our direct recruit meeting for SU the other day and they were talking about people selling stamps on e-bay. I am new to this but I thought it was not allowed. how do they get away with it or is it our coustomers selling what they don't want. I also wonder how the new stuff gets on there so fast. I was just wondering if anyone elce knew about this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Demonstrators are only allowed to sell retired sets. Anything in the current IB&C or minis can only be traded. But there are definitely alot of folks out there doing the power-selling on eBay (tsk, tsk, tsk). The funny thing I notice is that so many times the sets sell for more than they are priced in the catalog!:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I know! I wanted Watercolor Mini's and every single time I had a watch on it, it was sometimes a dollar more than new or 5 or more dollars than brand new and I was like FORGET that! Why haggle on something you can get STRESS free! LOL.

Flipped out when I saw a tractor set go for $76 dollars. Just can't see spending that much when you can get so many new sets for that much money. That's just me, just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went and looked the other day and the watercolor crayons ended up selling $10 more than new plus shipping! I think it's crazy. Some people seem to think that if it's on ebay they MUST be getting a good deal. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also think that ebay appeals to the compulsive shopper. Instant gratification. But, you have to hope the person you are dealing with is honest and you will usually pay more. It is possible to get a retired set at a good price, but many sell for higher than their original price. I left ebay a while ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I watch ebay all the time for retired sets, but so far, nothing I need has come up...I was watching one set, Stitched Santa (I believe in Santa Claus) and it went for like 16.50 or something. While I wouldn't mind paying su that plus shipping for a set of stamps, I'm certainly not going to pay that on ebay. If I can get a set dirt cheap, I'm there. If it's going to be the same or more, why bother? Some of the prices on there are insane.
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 03:23 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Post Funny

I was on the other day and was looking for "Snow Globe" the "buy it now" price was 55 dollars. Crazy. But there are people on there that will pay that. I agree with Joan B.... it is for the compulsive buyer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I looked at that snow globe, and I really really wanted it. No way in the world was I paying that price for it. I'll just borrow one from a friend until I find one in my price range. Hello? 55 dollars is ridiculous.
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 06:32 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

I do frequent ebay for stamps. But I usually only hunt for bargains (like I got Basket of Kindness for $8.50 recently) on older stamps that I cannot seem to find elsewhere. I rarely go to the original selling price on a retired set.... I know Snow Globe was an exception last year but no where near $55.

Occasionally I find a retired stamp or background at a good price (including shipping) on ebay. But for new stuff, I order from my demo, esp. since if I order enough I qualify for hostess items and have only 1 shipping cost.

Been watching GODSPEED, but heck not wanting to spend $26 and it has time to go on it... don't need it that much! Also keep hunting for Island Blossoms, but apparently gonna have to earn that puppy in March when I am hostess again. Funny thing, in August when I was hostess I had $1000 in sales, but did not like the set in the catalog. After getting a beautiful card and scanning the gallery, I WANT IT! LOL..... figures.

I guess that is the bottom line... how much I really want the set merits how much I will pay for it. As for double the cost === never will want a set that badly...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you have received some great advice so far. Some that I would have never known, but just remember that when in doubt, you can always go to the demo manual or call Demo Support!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Ebay

When I started out SU, I bought on Ebay - stupid idea! I bought a new dried ink pad and the seller wouldn't return my emails. Rip-Off. I agree it is for the compulsive shopper. I was new to Ebay and it was the thrill of seeing if I could win, not that I was getting a bargain. It's better to get it from a SU Demonstrator! Lesson Learned - Stamps on Ebay suck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Unfortunately this happens with all at home business. I sold Discovery Toys and now CM and you will find someone selling things before they even come out. I don't think there is anything that can be done or at least not at this time.
I am an ebay shopper but that is usually for things that I can't get or find but you have to watch because things can go for more than the original price and I sure think that is silly!
Reply With Quote Likes