Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryheartsView Post
Regarding the pretzel rings. I saw this idea on the web last year to use the pretzel rings and coat them with melted green candy coating then decorate with tiny candies. Also make a bow with melted red candy coating and a mold. You could probably use the string licorice and tie a bow and attach with a dab of melted candy coating. My only problem was I can't find the pretzel rings. No one in my area has them and I struck on finding an online source to order from. Any ideas?

I did manage to find tree shaped pretzels in my area and they were fun to coat and sprinkle.

I was never able to find the round ones either - I ended up just using mini twisted and it was fine. They are actually more stable with the minis anyway.

I also used Hersheys hugs (white and milk choc) and Rolos. I used green and red M&Ms too.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #82  
Rubber Obsessor

great thread!! so many ideas...... Thanks, Ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you cookiemonster & countryhearts for the recipes. Thanks to everyone else for the other recipes. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Ny pleasure

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejoView Post
Thank you cookiemonster & countryhearts for the recipes. Thanks to everyone else for the other recipes. : )

"Some succeed because they are destined to, but most succeed because they are determined to."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Duh, should be my pleasure.

"Some succeed because they are destined to, but most succeed because they are determined to."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

Default Banana chocolate chip bread recipe

I had a PM about this recipe so I thought I would post it here as well!

This was a Martha Stewart recipe and it originally calls for nuts in place of the chocolate chips.......but that's just silly!

My husband loves this so much I tease him that it's the reason he married me!

Anyway, I like to make this in the mini loaf pans that are in the baking aisle, the disposable ones and then wrap them and give them as gifts. The baking time is shorter so if you do the mini's then just keep an eye on them and start testing after 20 minutes. I want to say that it only takes about 25-30 to bake 4 mini loaves.

Banana chocolate chip bread:

1/4 Pound (1 stick butter), room temp
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 c mashed very ripe bananas
1/2 c sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350�F, butter 9X5X3" loaf pan. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs beating well. Sift (yeah right) the dry ingredients together and combine with the butter mixture. Blend well. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir well. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour into the pan. Bake 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:28 AM   #87  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, this is such a great thread! And now that I started thinking about everything I want to make for presents, I think I need to get moving. I am planning on making card sets for my boys teachers (all 4), some fleece blankets for relatives, some beaded ornaments (for various friends and family), the tumbled tiles, and I want to try etching on glass (either a candle holder or jar) for my 3 SIL's. Oh, and I have baking to do, too... but I'll worry about that closer to Christmas.

Keep all the good ideas coming!

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #88  
Stampin' Fool

Nada thing, lol. I am not making anything but my few Christmas cards. We ordered our goodies this year and they will be shipped from the company directly to the people. We are going to do decorated garland, instead of buying it, and probably make some shrink ornaments for our little table top tree. Matthew isn't into Santa anymore and knows he is getting an Xbox360, so we are not putting up the big tree. We also have a little naughty kitten who would climb the big tree. Hubby and I have our presents on the way, getting them early, he is getting a new gaming computer with an Intel quad processor, and I am getting an HP IPAQ GPS/PDA with internet. They should be here within the next week. So my Christmas is easy this year, lol. We even ordered all our treats and our roast, lol. So all I have to come up with is side dishes. Oh how fun this christmas will be lol. Good luck to everyone who is making stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejoView Post
More than happy to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

I am make Calendars for the grandparents; I am doing the Desk Calendar using the Vertical Holder from Dooliedoo for the teachers and one dear friend; altered photo frames for grandparents also along with god-parents; and making my Christmas Cards. I do love to cook this time of year, it is really the only time I do it - so I may go back and get the Holiday Sweets set from PT for gifts to co-workers, neighbors, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #91  
Stampin' Fool

Banana choc chip bread is something my mom used to make when we were small some 45-50 years ago...just so yummy!..
I make chex mix for my kids and esp for son in the AF...shares it with all the folks around him
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #92  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by natlholView Post
The kids and I always make pretzel rings for the teachers. We make over 1000!!

They are really easy. Line a cookie sheet w/foil. Place rows (and rows, and rows) of ring pretzels on the foil. Place an unwrapped hershey kiss in the center of each one. Place in preheated 300 degree oven for 2-2.5 mins. The kisses won't look melted. Press center of kiss down into pretzel w/an m&m (chocolate will fill ring) Place in fridge for 5 mins. Saw this a long time ago in Quick Cooking.

Our teachers have loved them. Some teachers (usually men!) have sent thank you notes saying that the pretzels didn't even make it home since they ate them all at work!

I do winter cards since I can't get my act together before Christmas to get cards done (must be all those pretzel rings!)

I always make snowmen for my sisters (4), my mom, my mil, my sil (1) and my best friends. I'm up to 15 each year. I was thinking of doing the SNOW frame in the SU catty. (The one in the black frame w/the snowman face on a tag.) Only problem is that I don't usually like to color my stamped projects and the snowman and letters are colored w/markers, I think.

So far that's all I have planned. Can't wait to see the great ideas that everyone else comes up with!

H

MMMMMMMMMM,what a great idea!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #93  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all of the fantastic ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Every year I make a homemade ornament of some sort for everyone (I think I'm not going to do that this year though, found out the hard way that they aren't appreciated) and I took over that tradition after my mom passed away 10 1/2 yrs ago.

Last year I made washcloth snowmen (cute and easy!), post-it note holders and whisks that were filled with hershey kisses and had an attached note "whisking you a Merry Kissmas".

The year before I made biscotti, Chai mix, hot cocoa mix (those were put into cones, very cute!), White Party Mix, Puppy Chow, Almond Tea Cookies, and caramels.

I used to think it was cheaper to make something, but in all reality it isn't. This is a great thread! Thanks for all the ideas ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #95  
Inking Addict

Subscribing for the awesome ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #96  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._NorthView Post
Every year I make a homemade ornament of some sort for everyone (I think I'm not going to do that this year though, found out the hard way that they aren't appreciated) and I took over that tradition after my mom passed away 10 1/2 yrs ago.

Last year I made washcloth snowmen (cute and easy!), post-it note holders and whisks that were filled with hershey kisses and had an attached note "whisking you a Merry Kissmas".

The year before I made biscotti, Chai mix, hot cocoa mix (those were put into cones, very cute!), White Party Mix, Puppy Chow, Almond Tea Cookies, and caramels.

I used to think it was cheaper to make something, but in all reality it isn't. This is a great thread! Thanks for all the ideas ladies!

How do you make wash cloth snowmen sounds cute?!?! Oh and the wisk with the hershey kisses sounds really cute too. I have 4 SIL's and we always give each other just some little something that is very inexpensive and these would be great! Last year I gave just the bottles of soap from Bath and Bodyworks and attached the little cover and used the spa set and they where really cute. They are great to give because BBW runs those on sale so cheap around Christmas.

All children are gifted...some just open their package sooner than others.
Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiemonsterView Post
This year I will be making Orange-Cranberry Scone Mix and Lemon and White Chocolate Icebox Cookie Mix, both in quart jars,
Spiced nuts, Key Lime Bites, Minty Hot Cocoa Mix, Martha Washington Candy and Fudge.
I will also be making Strawberries and Cream milk Bath Mix and about 50 Christmas cards.
This is as far as I've gotten in my planning. I have started on the cards already.

do you have a recipe for the milk bath mix? That sounds yummy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #98  
Die Cut Diva

I've made the strawbery milk bath too! Only I couldnt find strawberry essential oils, so I used raspberry!

To make it super duper cute, I put the mix into milk bottles! Everyone LOVED them!

The milk bottles were hard to find though, just a warning. But here is a link to an AWESOME site that has fantastic prices for bottles:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Default Recipe for Stawberry and cream milk bath

Here is the recipe, it's from a Gooseberry Patch book titled "Gifts for Giving" (this is a GREAT book by the way if you want lots of ideas for gifts, and it's sister book "More Gifts for Giving")

Stawberry's and cream milk bath:

1 cup powdered milk
3/4 cup sea salt
1/4 tsp strawberry essential oil

Place the milk and salt in a bowl and mix until well blended. Scoop out about a 1/2 cup and place in a seperate bowl, sprinkle the oil over the smaller ammount and mix. Add oil mix back to the large bowl and stir well. Store in an air tight container.

Instructions:
Scoop out 1/4 cup and dissolve under running bath water.

I found milk bottles at a local "country" type store, we actually have an outdoor mall nearby called "Country Village" and I was able to find them there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is the link for the washcloth snowmen. They are really easy to make and if I might toot my own horn here for a moment, mine were cuter than what's pictured. I didn't use buttons for the front, I got black puffy paint and did buttons and the mouth that way, for the nose, I used the orange puffy paint, just laid it on it's back with the head propped up and slowly made a carrot like shape, clear as mud? I found that using Fabri-Tac glue worked best for gluing on the hats and eyes. I also used little baggies to hold my beans in to put in the center of the washcloth, which I then glued the sides together to make sure it didn't come apart. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'll look on my computer to see if I can find photos of the ones I made!

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christm...-snowman.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

This sooooo puts my in the Christmas spirit!!!

Subscribing as well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #102  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Gift of Magi Bread Recipe - Taste of Home Recipe

This is the version of banana bread that I make for Christmas gifts. I bake it in mini pans instead of large ones. It's very moist and very pretty when sliced. It has become our favorite banana bread.

Gift of the Magi Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
1/2 cup chopped dates

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in
eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed
mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in the oranges, coconut, chocolate
chips, 1/2 cup almonds, cherries and dates.

Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake at 350� for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 2 loaves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #103  
Kookie Creator

great ideas, thanks for sharing,
I usually bake, and give some kind of candy to my school library volunteers.
will try some of the suggestions here!!!
WOW, my friends will be impressed,
I have made holiday cards for overseas troops, so will save some for family and friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #104  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to everyone who posted a recipe for oreo truffles, can't wait to try them. Also the pretzel ring things sound awesome! This thread is making me hungry and putting me in the x-mas spirit!

Oh, and we usually make biscotti for christmas and i love making those peanut butter cookies with the kiss in the middle. This year I think I am going to try making some hot chocolate mix and packaging it for gifts.

Ariana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

This thread is the greatest!!
One year I made gifts for all of my moms co-workers and I made the women altered notebooks and for the men I made nuts and bolts, and put them into glass containers I got for .50 at the Dollarstore then I hot glued real nuts and bolts to the top of the jar and decorated with address lables and ribbon, they turned out really cute.
My mom also does a pile of baking for x-mas, she makes these marshmallow things called creamy snowballs that are to die for, they have mini marshmallows and coconut, cream cheese and chocolate. Yummy!!
This year I am buying some coffee bags from papertrey and the new Christmas goodies stamp set so I can package all of my mom's yummy treats up and give them away looking cute as can be.
thanks so much for all the great ideas and the recipes, I'll ask my mom for the creamy snowball recipe and post it here later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

I thought I would share one of my most requested recipes. Now this isnt an easy to share recipe for cutting up and gifting, but if you have an open house or get together than this is simply delicious!

The frozen bread dough comes with several loaves in a package, so I will usually up my ingredients to make 2 or 3 loaves at a time. And it's just so cute, braided with caramely apples and brie inside!

Apple Brie Braid Bread

2T butter, melted and divided
4 c granny smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1/2 c brown sugar, packed and divided
3 T chopped almonds
1-lb loaf frozen bread dough, THAWED
4 oz package Brie cheese, cubed
1/4 c raisins

Pour one tablespoon butter in a 12" skillet; add apples. Saute for 10 minutes, stir in 1/4 c brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat. Stir in almonds and set aside.
Roll dough out into a 15"x12 rectangle on a floured surface, place on a greased baking sheet. Spread apple mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough; arrange brie on top of apples. Make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart on both sides of filling to within 1 1/2 inch of filling; fold strips alternating over filling with each side overlaping.
Cover, let rise for 1 1/2 hours. In a bowl combine remaining butter and brown sugar, brush over loaf. Sprinkle with raisins and lightly press them into dough. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #107  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Gifts for men

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayne and Cole's MomView Post
One year I made gifts for all of my moms co-workers and I made the women altered notebooks and for the men I made nuts and bolts, and put them into glass containers I got for .50 at the Dollarstore then I hot glued real nuts and bolts to the top of the jar and decorated with address lables and ribbon, they turned out really cute.
My mom also does a pile of baking for x-mas, she makes these marshmallow things called creamy snowballs that are to die for, they have mini marshmallows and coconut, cream cheese and chocolate. Yummy!!
This year I am buying some coffee bags from papertrey and the new Christmas goodies stamp set so I can package all of my mom's yummy treats up and give them away looking cute as can be.
thanks so much for all the great ideas and the recipes, I'll ask my mom for the creamy snowball recipe and post it here later.

How do you make nuts and bolts? This sounds interesting...or am I reading too much into this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayne and Cole's MomView Post
Ohmigosh, those sound YUMMY!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #109  
Die Cut Diva

"How do you make nuts and bolts? This sounds interesting...or am I reading too much into this?"

I was totally wondering this too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

For the hot chocolate I made, I had bought clear cone shaped cello bags, put enough hot cocoa in one cone for 2 servings, then placed that cone inside another and topped it with mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips. It looked like an ice cream cone when I was done. They were a big hit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #111  
Gallery Gazer

I'm still trying to decide what to make here. I'll do cards of course, but then I don't know. My mom and I are making some altered picture frames for her family since we are to get family pictures done (has never been done before). I would like to make some more personalized goodies for everyone as well. The food goodies will be perfect for my co-workers and DH's. Lots of good ideas from here too.

I almost forgot, every year I get together with three other ladies and we spend a day creating the gift jars that several of the people here have mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #112  
Die Cut Diva

WHAT ARE NUTS AND BOLTS???

1 of Kota's kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #113  
Gallery Gazer

Hey Mandy could you get the recipe for your Mom's creamy snowballs??
They sound interesting. Always looking for something new and different!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #114  
Mad Swapper

The one item I am making this year is chocolate drizzled popcorn. I have made it before with red and green colored white chocolate. I think this year I am makin it with semi-sweet chocolate and adding red and green M&M's.

Last year I bought extra large coffee mugs and added whole coffee beans. I dipped clear plastic spoons into melted chocolate (the bowl part), than covered with green and white sprinkles and stuck the handles into the beans. Wrapped all with cellophane and a big bow. To some I added Starbucks gift cards. These were a huge hit. I bought the flavored coffee beans from WM and everyone really enjoyed them.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL I'm not even done with the things I want to make for Halloween yet! But I have started thinking about Christmas. I usually make cards (about 50-75). Last year I baked cookies for some of the neighbors and that was a big hit. I made 2 different recipes out of last year's Fine Cooking issue devoted to Chocolate. I'll probably make some more of those.

I also bought the PaperTrey Holiday Treats set so I'll be making some nugget boxes and putting my cookies in those coffee bags. I also have a recipe for a white chocolate covered dessert called Moose Tracks (I think that's what it's called). It has pretzels and chex cereal and m&ms in it and then it's all drizzled with white chocolate. Now I usually despise white chocolate but I cannot get enough of this stuff. I don't have the recipe right here but if you're interested let me know and I'll post it.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #116  
Embossing Fanatic

Wowie, what a great thread, thank you all for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #117  
Hardware Hotshot

I just learned how to can this year so I'm going to do a Warm Wishes basket with home canned Habanero Gold Jelly (See my blog for a photo), Enchilada Sauce, and Apple Pie Filling. It will come with hand stamped recipe suggestions for each item and a Warm Wishes card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #118  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
I thought I would share one of my most requested recipes. Now this isnt an easy to share recipe for cutting up and gifting, but if you have an open house or get together than this is simply delicious!

The frozen bread dough comes with several loaves in a package, so I will usually up my ingredients to make 2 or 3 loaves at a time. And it's just so cute, braided with caramely apples and brie inside!

Apple Brie Braid Bread

3 T chopped almonds
1/4 c raisins

Pour one tablespoon butter in a 12" skillet; add apples. Saute for 10 minutes, stir in 1/4 c brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat. Stir in almonds and set aside.
Roll dough out into a 15"x12 rectangle on a floured surface, place on a greased baking sheet. Spread apple mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough; arrange brie on top of apples. Make diagonal cuts 1 1/2 inches apart on both sides of filling to within 1 1/2 inch of filling; fold strips alternating over filling with each side overlaping.
Cover, let rise for 1 1/2 hours. In a bowl combine remaining butter and brown sugar, brush over loaf. Sprinkle with raisins and lightly press them into dough. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
Oh my goodness I'm drooling! This sounds AMAZING! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #119  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post

Apple Brie Braid Bread

3 T chopped almonds
1/4 c raisins

yep, gonna try this one! it sounds yummy!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #120  
Matboard Maniac

I Just love this thread! Thanks for all the great ideas, I just can't wait to try all the yummy recipes!
I think my family must be getting fed up with homemade shortbread every year lol!
Now it's time for a change and to add extra kilo's on the hips lol!
Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Take care and keep smiling!

~Kylie~
Reply With Quote Likes