Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Versamark and card sizes

First of all, I would like to thank TexasGrammy for the instruction on posting a new thread.
Hi, I'm relatively new to this site ,and since signing up I've spent many, many hours browsing and admiring the talent at this site.I am in awe and wonder if I will ever be brave enough to post any of my cards.
I have been reading how some of the stampers use their versamark first then add ink to the stamp. What is the reason for this?
My other question, what is the general size of cards? I have tried doing some of the sketches but my cards always seem too small (4 1/2 x 5 1/2) to hold everything. what am I not doing right?
Thanks in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maristampsView Post
First of all, I would like to thank TexasGrammy for the instruction on posting a new thread.
Hi, I'm relatively new to this site ,and since signing up I've spent many, many hours browsing and admiring the talent at this site.I am in awe and wonder if I will ever be brave enough to post any of my cards.
I have been reading how some of the stampers use their versamark first then add ink to the stamp. What is the reason for this?
My other question, what is the general size of cards? I have tried doing some of the sketches but my cards always seem too small (4 1/2 x 5 1/2) to hold everything. what am I not doing right?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to SCS!

The reason some stampers use VersaMark then add ink to the stamp is so they can use Classsic (aka dye-based) ink with embossing powder for heat embossing (heat tool required). Usually the embossing powder (ep)will be clear.

If you are using colored ep the VersaMark inkpad can be used alone. Craft (aka pigment) inks can be used for embossing with either clear or coordinating ep. Dye ink dries too quickly to be able to emboss.

A standard card measures 4.25 x 5.50 inches (so you can get two bases from a single sheet of 8.5 x 11.0 cardstock). However, a card can be any size or shape you want - just make sure it will fit the envelope! In fact, I usually measure the envelope first if making a non-standard size card and make sure to allow .25-.50 of an inch on each side so the card will fit (the thicker the embellishments and layers the more room you will need so the card will need to be a teensie bit smaller than one with a clean-and-simple design.)

Hope this helps.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by maristampsView Post
I have tried doing some of the sketches but my cards always seem too small (4 1/2 x 5 1/2) to hold everything. what am I not doing right?
Thanks in advance.
I usually have the opposite problem. Okay, what am I going to put on there to balance it out or fill up some of the empty space? Funny how different stampers have different styles that lead to different issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Welcome to SCS!

The reason some stampers use VersaMark then add ink to the stamp is so they can use Classsic (aka dye-based) ink with embossing powder for heat embossing (heat tool required). Usually the embossing powder (ep)will be clear.

If you are using colored ep the VersaMark inkpad can be used alone. Craft (aka pigment) inks can be used for embossing with either clear or coordinating ep. Dye ink dries too quickly to be able to emboss.
So they put the VersaMark on the stamp and the ink on top of that and then stamp the paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

tee hee, I tried that with chalk ink and I guess it wasn't wet enough , the EP just rolled off.
As for my card size ( I should have said 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 ). I guess things just look bigger on my puter screen.
I'll try again.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #6  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatygressView Post
So they put the VersaMark on the stamp and the ink on top of that and then stamp the paper?
I ink the stamp with VersaMark then ink it (before stamping) with a Classic/Dye inkpad, stamp and quickly apply the embossing powder and melt with a heat tool. (Prior to inking use an embossing buddy over the area of cardstock you want to emboss so the ep won't stick where you don't want it and will adhere only to the ink). I've not noticed any changes/damage to my Classic/Dye pads but some folks are concerned about that.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,096 Likes on 840 Posts

I'd never heard of using both Versamark and another ink anywhere else, so no advice on that.
But on the card size, what you are using sounds like the standard size I use. But sometimes you need a bigger card for things to work - so go with what works for the card. If you feel you're trying to cram too much stuff in a small space, try a bit bigger. My Dad sent me one for my birthday that is a nice size, and I happen to know he bought a pack of 50 blanks and at the rate he sends them that will last the rest of his life - so I have asked him for some, LOL. They are 5 inches by 7.
Reply With Quote Likes