Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unmounting adhesive...what works?

I know there has been a gazillion questions about unmounting stamps and I have searched and not found the answer I am looking for. I am in the process of ummounting my retired SU stamps since we are moving to a new house and I am trying to save space. I have unmounted all of my stamps with the foam in tact but there is not enough adhesive left of the foam on a lot of the stamps to make it adhere to the vinyl cling. I have tried using rubber cement and it's not working, the stamps are coming off the cling. My cement is old however and I am not sure if that is the cause or not. Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work?
I appreciate any and all the help I can get since we close on our new house in two weeks.
Thanks so much,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a thin coat of the mono multi glue on top of the foam. I am starting to unmount my retired sets also, but I am taking the rubber right off the foam and remounting it onto the ez mount cling foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't want to do EZ Mount due to the price. I got a lot of cling for a very good price. I will try the mono multi and see if it works.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I use tombow mono multi adhesive to do that. I let it dry until it is tacky then i attach the vinyl. I saw on someone's blog (I don't remember who anymore) but they did that with the picture of the stamp on the back as well.

She stamped the image onto white tissue paper with black stazon, while the stamp was still pressed on the tissue paper she outlined the shape with pencil. Then applied the mono multi adhesive, let it dry, put the vinyl on top of the sticky tissue. She pressed it down then cut out the image around the line she drew around the stamp. She then put the mono multi adhesive on the back of her stamp, let that dry until tacky and then put the vinyl image on the back of the stamp vinyl side up.

I did it for a while without the image but I never thought to put the image on the back, I think I will try that I still have more stamps to unmount.

I hope that helps you a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I found the blog I was talking about http://www.stampsomefun.com she even has video's showing step by step how she does it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissHoxView Post
I use tombow mono multi adhesive to do that. I let it dry until it is tacky then i attach the vinyl. I saw on someone's blog (I don't remember who anymore) but they did that with the picture of the stamp on the back as well.

She stamped the image onto white tissue paper with black stazon, while the stamp was still pressed on the tissue paper she outlined the shape with pencil. Then applied the mono multi adhesive, let it dry, put the vinyl on top of the sticky tissue. She pressed it down then cut out the image around the line she drew around the stamp. She then put the mono multi adhesive on the back of her stamp, let that dry until tacky and then put the vinyl image on the back of the stamp vinyl side up.

I did it for a while without the image but I never thought to put the image on the back, I think I will try that I still have more stamps to unmount.

No offense, but that seems like a lot of work when you can just peel off the sticker from the block and it sticks perfectly to the foam. Then trim the sticker, put Tack-it-over-and-over on the sticker and you're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Unmounting adhesive...what works?-unmounted-lid.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Great question! I am just starting to unmount my stamps. I haven't even started to add them to cling vinyl yet. They are all on acetate right now.

My problem is that I have some stubborn stamps that I can't get off the blocks. I put it in the microwave for 15 seconds, then 5 seconds more, until it had been "cooked" for 1 minute, then I stopped! These stamps are much older, but they are definitely ones I want to keep.

I would not loosen. Not from the block or from the foam. Any tips or ideas?

I have since started mounting my wood stamps by first putting a piece of packing tape over the block then add the stamp. It releases like a breeze.

Also, where is a good source for the cling vinyl?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonnieView Post
I didn't want to do EZ Mount due to the price. I got a lot of cling for a very good price. I will try the mono multi and see if it works.
Thank you.

Oh yea, it will work. But it doesnt' hold up like TIOAO with repeated use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone, it helps to know I have to let the mono dry first before attaching the vinyl. Now maybe I can get some of these done, especially when my empty cases come tomorrow.
Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted my Stampin Up stamps leaving the foam attached to the stamp but I did not put anything on the foam like vinyl cling. I did put Tack N Peel on some of my acrylic blocks and the stamps adhere perfectly to this. You need to be sure that no sticky adhesive is left on the foam. I just pressed them to an old cloth several times to make the adhesive left on the stamps not sticky. I started out planning to use Ezmount but decided that this was too much trouble. I unmounted over 300 sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
No offense, but that seems like a lot of work when you can just peel off the sticker from the block and it sticks perfectly to the foam. Then trim the sticker, put Tack-it-over-and-over on the sticker and you're good to go.

I tried this and it worked great!!! I got the tip here on SCS.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I unmounted my Stampin Up stamps leaving the foam attached to the stamp but I did not put anything on the foam like vinyl cling. I did put Tack N Peel on some of my acrylic blocks and the stamps adhere perfectly to this. You need to be sure that no sticky adhesive is left on the foam. I just pressed them to an old cloth several times to make the adhesive left on the stamps not sticky. I started out planning to use Ezmount but decided that this was too much trouble. I unmounted over 300 sets.
I do exactly what bwstamper does, but I peel the image sticker off of the block and place it onto my foam. I then use my blocks with Tack N Peel and (for placement) it is almost as wonderful as clear stamps.

I also bought some clear sticker paper at Hobby Lobby. Some stamps have stickers that won't come off, or are actually imprinted onto the block, so I just stamp the image onto the sticker paper. Since it is clear, it is almost like the SU image stickers. I use StazOn when stamping on the sticker paper.

IMHO you just can't beat stamps with foam, image stickers, and Tack N Peel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
I have never tried Tack-it-over-and-over, but the fact that it is sticky all the time kind of worries me since I like glitter, and I had when tacky things just get that fuzz on it, and it gets all gross even when you clean it.

I dont mind the extra work for $2.50 for a yard of vinyl I have more then enough for all my stamps and probably all the stamps I buy now until forever. I am on a tight budget so anything to save a buck i'll do, even if it's a little more work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Your probably going to try at least 3 different ways but, if you are a perfectionist, don't want any further hassle once the stamps are unmounted then I'd beg, borrow and save for ez mount foam. I have released almost 300 stamps quite easily with this. Just know that it will take some time to find a sturdy adhesive sheet to use as cling storage. I initially used CD cases which is not what I really wanted to do until I tried cutting up a sturdy acrylic template I never used. It worked great! I'm still on my acrylic hunt but I hope to spare you a ton of mess, time and frustration. Spray, roll, and glue adhesives only work temporarily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by vachoncView Post
Your probably going to try at least 3 different ways but, if you are a perfectionist, don't want any further hassle once the stamps are unmounted then I'd beg, borrow and save for ez mount foam. I have released almost 300 stamps quite easily with this. Just know that it will take some time to find a sturdy adhesive sheet to use as cling storage. I initially used CD cases which is not what I really wanted to do until I tried cutting up a sturdy acrylic template I never used. It worked great! I'm still on my acrylic hunt but I hope to spare you a ton of mess, time and frustration. Spray, roll, and glue adhesives only work temporarily.
If you do choose EZ Mount, be very careful how you store your stamps. You need to use caution because some things such as CD cases will break down the EZ Mount. I have checked with two stamp companies who sell EZ Mounted stamps and Sunday International who makes EZ Mount and they all said you must protect the EZ Mount from coming into contact with plastics, as it will harm the EZ Mount over time. There is an entire thread about storing of unmounted stamps, that you might find helpful. If you want to save a lot of money, frustration, and keep your stamps safe, you might want to look into Tack N Peel. Buy it once for your blocks and you are done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

That is also correct, however EZ mount was designed to used with Acrylic mount blocks. Acrylic is a plastic polymer. As long as you know what the product you are using is, the stamps will be safe. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #17  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 611 Likes on 431 Posts

I am unmounting my su sets to bare rubber to use with tack and peel any advice on how to get the adhesive off the back of the rubber? It doesn't happen every time, but it is a pain when they do not come off cleanly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I am unmounting my su sets to bare rubber to use with tack and peel any advice on how to get the adhesive off the back of the rubber? It doesn't happen every time, but it is a pain when they do not come off cleanly!
I think some people have had success with a product that is made to remove stickers. I think it is called Undo, or something similar. I leave almost all of my foam on my stamps, but for the few that I have tried to remove the foam and adhesive, it has been a pain! Good luck getting it off, and if you find something that works, please be sure to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh you brave souls,...I have contemplated this on many occasions as often as I think of taking the sets out of there containers and store them in "like" groups. I just can't,...not yet. Have to continue to read and wait and see,...would love more storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbiejoView Post
Oh you brave souls,...I have contemplated this on many occasions as often as I think of taking the sets out of there containers and store them in "like" groups. I just can't,...not yet. Have to continue to read and wait and see,...would love more storage.
If you ever get up the nerve to unmount your stamps, you will think it is the best thing you ever did! It is almost impossible to believe how much space you save.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the advice ladies, I have almost all of my SU stamps done. I have realized being impatient is not a good thing. You do have to let the mono glue dry all the way before sticking it to the cling. I can't believe how much space it is going to actually save. It's a daunting task for sure but one I am glad I have undertaken. I still have a long way to go as I have about 4 drawers full of non SU stamps to do as well.
Again, thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I have never tried Tack-it-over-and-over, but the fact that it is sticky all the time kind of worries me since I like glitter, and I had when tacky things just get that fuzz on it, and it gets all gross even when you clean it.

I dont mind the extra work for $2.50 for a yard of vinyl I have more then enough for all my stamps and probably all the stamps I buy now until forever. I am on a tight budget so anything to save a buck i'll do, even if it's a little more work
Where do you get the vinyl from??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

this is exactly what I am doing except instead of the mono I am using allene's tack it over & over...it works perfectly and I love having the image to look at when stamping....(helps me keep from getting words upside down) The vinyl was cheap and the results are awesome.....I use the univenture binders and in the first binder I have 18 of the small sets from Stampin Up....amazing space saver.....room for more stamps to buy!!

Laura - I got my vinyl at Joannes - the 8 gauge - 1 yard for 2.99 - just make sure it is VINYL and not plastic....plastic will not cling....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #24  

Quote:

The tack-it over and over has not gotten "gross" on me yet except the one that fell on the floor and I literally stepped on it into the carpet. I just cleaned off the back with a bit of alcohol on a paper towel and it all came off. I was planning on using more tioao to make it sticky again, but {surprise} it was still sticky even after cleaning!!!

And talk about budget, the tioao was only $3 and it's done hundreds of stamps for me so far and going strong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Aileen's Tacky Glue will hold the foam to the rubber and Tack it over and over will hold the foam to the acrylic block...MonoMulti will also hold the foam to the acrylic block as will double sided tape on your acrylic blocks...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Can you put stamps that are on EzMount on paper that has been laminated or does that contain acetate as well? I was going to put them in DVD cases, but now I'm worried that it will ruin them. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I think that works, and also glossy card stock. If the EZ mounted stamps came with some sort of paper/cardstock backing you can use that, too. At least that is how I understand it. What you want to be sure of is that the EZ mount can not come in contact with the CD or DVD plastic because it creates some kind of chemical reaction that breaks down the foam.

If someone knows more or something different on this topic, please correct me. I contacted two companies that sell stamps on EZ Mount and this was the advise that I got from both of them. I really want my stamps to last a long time, so I want to be sure they are stored correctly, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSherokyView Post
Can you put stamps that are on EzMount on paper that has been laminated or does that contain acetate as well? I was going to put them in DVD cases, but now I'm worried that it will ruin them. Any ideas?
I store my unmounted stamps on cardstock that has been heat laminated - they've been stored that way for well over a year and I haven't had any problems with the EZ Mount breaking down or bonding permanently to the laminate (no problems with the ones I use the Tack-It-Over&Over on, either).

I don't have any stored on the self-adhesive laminate, so I can't vouch for that
Reply With Quote Likes