Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
No, you can't. That's clearly called out in the demo agreement. To clarify, though, not all SU products have the SU logo on them. What you're not permitted to do is use products that have another company's logo on them.

The only exception would be if you use something that SU doesn't sell. For example, if your guests are to decorate a glass jar, you could use any kind of jar you want, since SU doesn't sell glass jars.

And BTW, if you do a workshop and are open to taking orders from your guests, you're not a hobby demo! ;-)

I guess I don't understand the definition of a "hobby demo". So based on the above statement - if I were to hold an occasional workshop (ie 1 or 2 per year) then I am not a hobby demo??? Does hobby demo mean that I can never do a workshop?

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
That is incorrect!!!! By all means if you already had the tools and they still function fine then you can use them.
So I can use my Sizzix Big Shot Pro, my Cricut and my spellbinders. But what about cuttlebug embossing folders?

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue AltView Post
So I can use my Sizzix Big Shot Pro, my Cricut and my spellbinders. But what about cuttlebug embossing folders?
Sorry, Minders, but this post explains why you are incorrect. You aren't supposed to use, for example, a non-SU embossing folder at a SU workshop. No Spellbinders either, as they are competing products, too. Look in your Demo agreement and you'll find this language.

The definition of a hobby demo is whatever you want it to be. That's why I winked after my comment. Generally, a hobby demo is one who only sells to herself, and maybe a few close friends. If you're having a workshop and hoping for sales, I'd say you're trying to build a business.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
Sorry, Minders, but this post explains why you are incorrect. You aren't supposed to use, for example, a non-SU embossing folder at a SU workshop. No Spellbinders either, as they are competing products, too. Look in your Demo agreement and you'll find this language.

The definition of a hobby demo is whatever you want it to be. That's why I winked after my comment. Generally, a hobby demo is one who only sells to herself, and maybe a few close friends. If you're having a workshop and hoping for sales, I'd say you're trying to build a business.
I was talking TOOLS.....as in things like a bone folder, crop a dile and heat tool....things like that. I consider folders and dies accessories and not tools. So, I WAS correct when talking about actual tools. SU does not expect you to purchase a big shot from them IF you already have one. It's exactly the same save a logo...

Of course, you can't use competing products like the cricut and spellbinders....and why would you want to anyway....you can't sell them!

And there really is no difference in SU's eyes in the "type" of demo you are. I consider myself a hobby demo because I buy mainly for myself but do get a few customer orders and hold an occasional event. It really doesn't matter to anyone but yourself what kind of demo you are:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
One thing not mention here is that you are entitled to go to convention too!!
Would you go to convention as a hobbyist? I would think that it would be a bit pricey for a hobbyist and isn't it mostly "building your business" info?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #46  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlzmomView Post
Would you go to convention as a hobbyist? I would think that it would be a bit pricey for a hobbyist and isn't it mostly "building your business" info?
It's totally a personal choice. I'm hobby demo and I'm totally going! Yes, some of it is business related but lots of parts are just plain fun!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Just north of the 49th in a little corner of Heaven!

What a great thread! I hardly ever come to this "side" of the forums! I am a "mostly" hobby demo for the last 5.5 years and I am SO incredibly happy with the decision I made. I have had my share of clubs etc. over the years and right now have a few loyal customer/friends that come to the classes I hold. I am a lucky one in that my upline was my friend before she was my upline and she is still me friend! I could NEVER have purchased all the amazing tools and products without this great company to offer me a discount and bonus products and incentives and birthday discounts and, and, and.....
I still have "contraband" in my craft space, however don't share that with my customer/friends for any of my classes. I LOVE that EVERYTHING coordinates - no guesswork involved. I LOVE that if you EVER have a problem with any item you buy, SU stands behind it and replaces it at no charge, sometimes even AFTER the 90 day rule. No looking back for me!
And, I would LOVE to go to convention, simply for the incredible energy that happens there, and maybe, it would encourage to jump off the edge and take this "hobby" to a whole new level.

I say, GO FOR IT!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #48  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I started out as a "hobby demo" in that I never planned to sell to anyone. But you never know what the future holds. I now run monthly classes for 20+ students and I rarely, if ever, do workshops. My class customers rarely buy any products but I make money from the class fees and the class materials ensure I make my minimums. One of the best things about being a demo is I can structure my business the way I want to fit into my lifestyle.

I love a variety of paper crafting products but no one seems to have the same level of customer service I get from SU. They are constantly making changes to ensure SU is popular and offering to help demos be successful. No, don't think that I'm a rah-rah for SU Only because every company has it warts, but the main reason I stay in SU is because I can count on the quality and if quality is lacking I can count on SU to make it right.

The one thing you need to do is make sure your upline knows what kind of demo you want to be. Do you want to be left alone to do your own thing or do you want to grow your business, it's important for you upline to know how much support you do/do not want.

I say try it out and if it doesn't work for you then you haven't lost anything but a little time and you get some great products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #49  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Oh, it's definitely not all work and no play : ) This year there are three different Make N Take sessions as well as four optional classes in the evening. The main stage presentations are full of really awesome stamping tips and projects, too. They do an excellent job of balancing motivational/inspirational stuff with stamping, so everyone goes home happy. : ) And the displays!! Holy cow!! Convention is worth every penny. And we always come home with more stuff just in prizes and free sets than we actually paid for the whole registration. Add sneak peeks, special offers and promotions just for convention goers--I would say it would be just about heaven for the hobbyist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #50  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue AltView Post
Question - what about tools that I already own that don't have the SU logo on them. Can they still be used if I should do a workshop as a hobby demo?
There is a lot of misinfo out there, but please know that no one expects new demos to have everything right off the bat! That would be silly. You can definitely use your basic tools.

I would replace them with SU when you can, because it just makes sense to have the best : ) and to be showing the exact product that you are selling, but no, please don't feel like you must have it all before you can start demoing. Many of us started with only what came in our kits. When I started I had about $20 a month I could spend on SU, and that came out of the grocery money. :rolleyes: If I'd had to make a big investment, the past seven amazing years would not have happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #51  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Oh, it's definitely not all work and no play : ) This year there are three different Make N Take sessions as well as four optional classes in the evening. The main stage presentations are full of really awesome stamping tips and projects, too. They do an excellent job of balancing motivational/inspirational stuff with stamping, so everyone goes home happy. : ) And the displays!! Holy cow!! Convention is worth every penny. And we always come home with more stuff just in prizes and free sets than we actually paid for the whole registration. Add sneak peeks, special offers and promotions just for convention goers--I would say it would be just about heaven for the hobbyist.
I went to convention twice as a 'hobby' demo, it was awesome! There is just so much to love about convention. I came away from convention wanting to be a better person. I learned plenty about stamping too.
If you have the funds by all means go--you won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I joined SU for the discount for myself and also to start my new hobby to card making. I am very fortunate 2 yrs later, I have a very small group of customers but am offering classes twice a month to share my love of card making. I also make cards to donate to Ronald McD House in the area.

It's the best decision I ever made to make this a new hobby of mine. I share my cards to my friends and families and they just love them. The joy of sharing something you love/hand made is priceless. If you can afford it, you should do it. Stampin' Up's products are awesome and quality is just superior.
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #53  

It is worth it when you make someone happy:-) I am entering a scrapbook page I made with a photo of my mom in the SU contest they have for demos and she LOVED it. I have to make HER one, lol! It made her really happy.

I also just sent my cousin a birthday card and she really loved it. She's just 19 today and recently had a baby and it's not an ideal situation and she's never had a good family life so it makes me very happy that something as simple as a card can bring her a little bit of joy...I need to make a point to SEND more of the things I make;-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I'm going. It's a treat to myself, after years of doing without for the kids (we've all had to do that at some point) and not having a yearly vacation in too many years to count, this is my treat to myself!! Hubby is all for me going and having a wonderful time and he is excited for me too! I've been putting money aside from what I earn monthly, so it's not a suprise when the bills need to be paid for my trip, in fact the only thing left for me to pay is my hotel. So yup, I'm going even though I'm a hobby demo because you never know what next year may bring.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com

Last edited by craftymomto2; 05-17-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Hi! I am enjoying this thread and am now kicking around the idea of signing on after June 1st. Say...if I did so, how LONG would I have the meet my selling requirement? I do NOT plan on selling to anyone, so this is a huge concern.

Thanks for the info here and the good info on this thread!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

June is the end of a quarter so that month wouldn't count. I think you have to make it your first full quarter. So Jul-Aug-Sept would be your first full quarter. If you don't have your minimums by the end of September, you would be in pending for the month of Oct. If you don't meet the requirements to get out of pending during that month, you would be dropped at the end of the month.

I believe that is how it goes. But they made changes to this a few months back so it could be different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #57  

Yes, you would have until the NEXT FULL quarter to meet your minimums. After that it's each quarter. And if you sign up now or in June you will be able to pre-order the new holiday seasonal mini catalog items and see it a month ahead of time:-) Pre order is in July for it!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

So if I signed up in July, that whole quarter wouldn't count and I would have to put my minimums in during Oct-Nov-December? Hmmm. Something to think about...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #59  

Quote:

Originally Posted by vz5dzhView Post
So if I signed up in July, that whole quarter wouldn't count and I would have to put my minimums in during Oct-Nov-December? Hmmm. Something to think about...
Correct. They don't expect you to have to make the minimums in a "partial" quarter.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I was kicking around the idea of joining SU too.

BUT! After thinking about it. I'm going to stay a customer. For the simple reason.

I want to be FREE of selling being under pressure to make my sales requirement.

For 6 years I sold for TAC aka The Angel Company. I also sold IPPITY stamps for 1 year.

I totally burned myself out on selling. So I'm taking a Break from selling anything for awhile.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #61  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
You know I was kicking around the idea of joining SU too.

BUT! After thinking about it. I'm going to stay a customer. For the simple reason.

I want to be FREE of selling being under pressure to make my sales requirement.

For 6 years I sold for TAC aka The Angel Company. I also sold IPPITY stamps for 1 year.

I totally burned myself out on selling. So I'm taking a Break from selling anything for awhile.
You definitely need to make the best choice for you.
Partly, timing can make a difference. And how much you want out of the new catalogue. You may find when you see the Holiday Catalogue that the 20% discount starts lookin' good!

You've done the direct sales thing before ... so you know the importance of picking your upline. You want somebody who will give you support if you want it ... and not pressure you if that's what you want.

So, all that said ... enjoy being a customer! Somebody's got to stay a customer or else everybody will be a demo! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been a hobby demo since 2005. My demo talked me into it when they had a great promotion where you got a free ink pad color family as a sign on bonus. If you place $150 orders you get the hostess benefits and the discount too. It is nice to have the website for information and ideas as well as a free catalog, free mini catalog, stampin success magazines, etc. Plus you get to order whenever you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #63  

I agree with so much that has been said here! I started stamping in January of 2007 when I joined a friend's stamp club....in February I got to be hostess, earning SAB products! I was hooked quickly and spending $50, often more, per month. I know sometime that year I think the end or the year I heard about a promotion they had for signing up. The starter kit was including a free set of one of the color families! I signed up and haven't really looked back.

I do events from time to time, I make a lot of cards and sell them sometimes. Inwould say I have a couple of events a year. Sometimes I get surprise orders from friends or family. One of my bffs had been placing $150 orders for several months and I haven't had to worry about my minimums for a while!

I had to drop for about a year 3 years ago, but I signed up again during a small kit promo they were having. Otherwise I have been loving it....if I can't afford, I try and make a plan, like having a class or offering a special of some kind.

I have yet to go to convention...I can't afford it however I am tempted to start saving so.I can go next year! :-) I find so much joy in this hobby. I enjoy sharing it with others, I love helping others discover their creativity. I get a big kick out of comments by friends who have been lurking on my fb page galleries for months but not saying anything, or a really excited customer.

Anyway, my two cents. Hope I didn't type too many typos...using my phone to post creates issues! :-/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

First of all, most of the people I know who joined Stampin' Up! did so when they really needed this type of experience. Myself included, many ladies (sorry guys!) had been through divorces, miscarriages (my own experience), difficult jobs, and other various difficulties. Becoming a demo helps you focus on things that are beautiful, creative, and intended for encouraging relationships (occasions, friendship, thank you, birthday, etc.). I found that during my severe depression following being laid off and then losing a baby, I really NEEDED something beautiful in my life to keep my mind and hands busy instead of slipping farther down into an emotional hole. Sending thoughtful cards and growing relationships with friends, family, stamper customers, and other demos was a key component in my healing from my difficulties. This period lasted about 2 years. Then things changed . . .

Second, I got back on my feet and my needs were now different. I had a new baby and I had less time to put into detailed make-n-takes for several parties a month. I realized now that my expenses (supplies, time, babysitters, gas, etc) were FAR outweighing my income. For the time when my emotional needs were overwhelming, the benefits outweighed the costs. But when that changed, I realized that I had to do something different to make this work for my family. So I built a downline and started to earn income from that. I won a few recruiting awards at convention and felt good about coming up in the company. Things were working out until . . .

Third, SU made a change in their payment and advancement system. Before, I did not have to reach any sales minimums to reap the financial rewards from my downline. They changed that to me needing to keep up a hefty minimum to get anything from that. This was NOT going to work for my family at all. There was no way I could do so much in sales a month to meet that. Also . . .

Fourth, I was seeing some patterns emerge that I was not aware of when I started. SU would retire a set of something and then we would all get rid of it. Then they would bring it back with a tiny change/new name/jacked up price and then we would all buy it again. I felt like I was on a merry-go-round of wasted money and frustration. I realize they need to keep things competitive and "fresh" feeling. They had to compete or go out of business, and THAT would leave all of us hung out to dry. But the patterns continued: certain things were only offered in the in-colors and many customers were saying that they have piles of things that are retired and old and "out." Less and less of the catalog items were things that they could continue to see ways to use or buy accessories to go with. Also, with so much coming "in" and then going "out" just as quickly, I felt pressured to keep buying, buying, buying to keep current and have the "latest" things for my group or they would go where they had the "in" thing.

Finally, I decided to end my time as a demo. I had a room full of scrappin' stuff--what a dream! And I had friends and skills I never would have developed without SU in my journey. I am still a customer! I am still a fan! Since then I have started my own company (not a craft company) and I make somewhere between $800 and $1000 a week. My family is very happy and we are reaching many goals for our lives. My husband and I laugh now and say, "Wow! Babe, you would have had to sell $5,000 of SU to make that income this week. Crazy!" That's a lot of ink pads.

Bottom line, when it is the right TIME in your life and the right thing for your family, it is GREAT. When it is NOT the right time or not the right thing, you will know something is not right. It has to be the best thing or you and your family at the time.

Just my .02. More like $20. Ha!
Best of luck!

Kirsten
Reply With Quote Likes