Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492View Post
I guess when I get free shipping, I just get super excited because it isn't the norm to me!

For many demos, we are here to provide you excellent customer service, and help you with whatever you may need. For me, this is my full-time job so I guess it makes me sad because the actual relationship and support you could give to another person is being devalued in favor of eBay.

That brings me to my next point. The Holiday Catalog! I think there are GREAT products in there, but unfortunately the format makes it hard to see them. I even have to hunt for some of the products. They tried something new and in my viewpoint, it isn't working out so great. But that will happen sometimes to any company trying new things.
Just wanted to chime in (again!)to respond to your post, Sarah. One of the main reasons I buy SU! when there is something similar available elsewhere is precisely because of the relationships I have with a couple of demos. (One orders all the time, one only occasionally, so I order from both, depending on when the cycle hits). In fact, the three of us(!) were discussing just a couple of days ago how seeing things in a catalog and having them right in front of you and USING them were so different, and how having that stamp in your hand or seeing that paper up close and personal DEFINITELY made a difference in the level of desire to buy it. Mostly, I think, because photos seldom do justice to the actual item (anyone who's ever uploaded a card here knows that's true). It also provides an opportunity to see different ways of using the items than what is in the catalog. I know, you can come here or visit blogs and see different ideas, but it's not the same as the hands-on sales model that SU and CTMH and others employ.

Also, it is true that most places DO NOT offer free shipping - even with a large order - it's just that because a few do, we think that everyone should or something, I suppose. Places that don't regularly offer that option will sometimes run specials where they do. In fact, didn't SU! recently have a short promo that included free shipping?

Another thought that occurred to me after more familiarity with both the catalog and my demo friends, and after percolating some ideas, I've determined that there are a few things from the holiday mini that I DO need, and the snowflake stamps and dies are on the list! I'm one of those that has acquired enough "stuff" that I have to be kind of particular about what I add to my "collection" (), so unless something triggers a project idea or is vastly different from what I already have, I don't buy it. After sitting with some of the images for a bit, I have ideas that require them, now.

Sometimes we have knee-jerk responses to things that end up differently from that initial reaction, and I can recognize when I've done this and I now humbly apologize for my part in this thread, sounding all anti-SU! (which I'm totally not, but I could see the validity of a couple of points made, at least initially). I'll still never be a for-reals demo, though, because of that fickle thing...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 09-17-2013 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: clarification
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #82  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Sometimes we have knee-jerk responses to things that end up differently from that initial reaction, and I can recognize when I've done this and I now humbly apologize for my part in this thread, sounding all anti-SU! (which I'm totally not, but I could see the validity of a couple of points made, at least initially). I'll still never be a for-reals demo, though, because of that fickle thing...

Read more: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I just have to say that I am so happy that this is a nice place to play!!! It takes a big person to apologize on a public board. Many times we type and our words come out harsher than we meant. Or to type something that sounds one way when we really didn't mean it to be taken that way.
I have read the post and opted not to post because for the most part I think people should buy what they want and what they like. If a customer of mine buys a non SU item...that's fine. There is a big world out there with a lot of products. They come back and buy the items from SU that they like and I am of course always there to help and answer any questions they have. I am thrilled for the business but never think that a customer has to be 100% loyal to SU. SU, as much as I love them, can't provide everything to everybody.
If the snowflake set is priced to high for some, it may be the Perfect price for the Perfect project for another!
I have ONE SU flower set...yes ONE!!! Flowers are not my thing. That's just me. But I find plenty at SU to fit my style and plenty....sometimes TOO much that I want to buy! If someone isn't a fan of SU, that's okay too! We can all play together with our differnt toys!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

I

As far as buying off of eBay, that just makes me sad to hear people say they'll look for it on eBay. For many demos, we are here to provide you excellent customer service, and help you with whatever you may need. For me, this is my full-time job so I guess it makes me sad because the actual relationship and support you could give to another person is being devalued in favor of eBay.
What about sets that have been long retired? When I first started stamping around the early 90s, there were a lot of sets I could not afford. Every now and then I love cruising Ebay to see if those sets are up for sale. Most of my Ebay purchases are sets that have been retired for years already. If I want a set that has just recently retired, I normally buy them used from the two demos (one is the other's upline) I know, or their customers (the demos will happily advertise for their customers if one wants to sell off old stamp sets).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #84  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
What about sets that have been long retired? When I first started stamping around the early 90s, there were a lot of sets I could not afford. Every now and then I love cruising Ebay to see if those sets are up for sale. Most of my Ebay purchases are sets that have been retired for years already. If I want a set that has just recently retired, I normally buy them used from the two demos (one is the other's upline) I know, or their customers (the demos will happily advertise for their customers if one wants to sell off old stamp sets).
I have also managed to buy retired and Saleabration sets on Ebay that I would not have been able to afford new from SU. I do buy new stamps from my SU demo if I can afford it, but often I prefer to invest in cardstock, inks and ribbon from her, and then see if I can get my wishlist sets off Ebay for less than �10. It works for me (especially as I already have a large stash and lots of wonderful stamp sets from SU and Hero Arts!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

You gals rock! I just have to say I read and reread and then read my post again to check how it would come off. I didn't want it to come off as harsh and I love the responses you gals have made.

First of all, YES! By all means, I understand buying retired items off of eBay - I used to do the same thing (but now I have stamps coming out of my ears that there's no way I can use them all so I've limited myself to not buying ones that have already retired). My concern was that I thought I was reading that people were saying they'd just buy the Photopolymer stamps on eBay instead of from SU! Since none of those are retired and they're a steal at $13.95, that's what I was concerned with. Plus, I'm sure all of you are savvy shoppers, but I was piddling on eBay one day and seriously saw that someone had bid up to $30 for a current punch that was only $16.95 (they were charging shipping too).

I'm also with Michelle, I certainly don't expect my customers to be 100% Stampin' Up! (I don't know if that came across wrong in my post or not...) but I have one gal who buys all of her adhesive from me and WOW! do I appreciate that. But I certainly don't expect everyone to...there is a HUGE variety of products out there! I doubt I would be SU! Only if I weren't a demo...well that's maybe debatable at this point because I kind of like not spending hours in the aisles trying to get things to match (I seriously used to do that!), the ease of shopping out of a catalog, and with all of our local scrapbook stores dying out, I'd rather support a small business rather than a big box store.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's responses, thoughts and perspectives. It's always interesting to think about it from different perspectives and learn about other crafters...I know I always learn a lot from other people.

Back to Festive Flurry...I'm pretty excited to try the idea in this video. Even you gals with other snowflake sets (SU! or not) may be able to adapt the idea for your sets. I think it is super cool and just saw the video this morning. Have a great day everyone!!!
2013 Seasonal Catalog Project: Festive Flurry Gift Tags - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #86  
Glitter Queen

I'm new to Stampin' Up! so I have bought alot of older sets on eBay as well. I really love some of the older stuff and almost feel like the catalog is too limited, when you compare to the older stuff that you can find on ebay. Some of the old stuff is incredibly cute and I wish eBay wasn't the only place to find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #87  

That is a GREAT video with the snowflakes!!! I really want to try that out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Y My concern was that I thought I was reading that people were saying they'd just buy the Photopolymer stamps on eBay instead of from SU! Since none of those are retired and they're a steal at $13.95, that's what I was concerned with.
Ah! I do remember saying that; I do wish to buy these photopolymer stamps either from Ebay or used from my demos, but I am also willing to wait for several years for them to be retired! I wouldn't buy them brand new and current from Ebay because there probably won't be any price savings there. My target price for them (and I'm willing to wait for it) is $12/set or under, total (including any shipping, taxes, or fees).

If I were to buy them now, I'd be paying $16.95 total. I don't love them enough to buy them at this price, but I do like some of them enough to wait years and years to buy them at a lower price. I know it's only a difference of $3 but I do have a wish list a mile long and decades old (going back to the early 90s!!) and am constantly scanning through it mentally and wait for each wanted item to go on sale or to be offered at a store with free shipping or something or other. When leisure money comes up I spend it on the items that are the best steal on my wish list. Certain things like a higher price make the item go to the back of the wish list, and other things like instant and limited availability (like a combined-demos' retired stamp sale event - woohoo!) send items at the sale jumping to the front of the list.

edited to add: my goal is not to snub any demos; it is to manage the limited funds that I have. I do eagerly look forward to any event where any demo puts forth her retired stamps for sale!

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 09-20-2013 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #89  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The One Thing - Stampin' Up! Great interview with Shelli.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

what do you think about the new SU promo - sign up for only $25?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicazView Post
what do you think about the new SU promo - sign up for only $25?
I think i need to know more about it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #92  

I think it is a great promotion for those that are on the fence about joining or past demos to rejoin! There really is nothing to lose!!! It is a great way to open the door!!! I hope we see a lot of sign ups and even more demo friends join the family!

The deal is:
October 7-21st, you can join to be a demo for only $25. You can pick out $26.95 worth of items for your starter kit (which is the perfect amount to get items to hold a class or workshop, or even just make your Christmas cards with!) - the $25 join is for Stampin' Up's 25 years in business celebration.
You also receive a starter business kit pack that would include catalogs and forms for ordering. Plus new demos get an free online store for the first two months if they chose.
The $25 start up is great because you get 30% off your first order after you sign up- which counts towards your quarterly mins, and with hostesses bennies- that is an excellent deal and makes it very easy to hit your first quarterly goals!!!!

Last edited by binkiemonstermom; 10-04-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Plus, I'm sure all of you are savvy shoppers, but I was piddling on eBay one day and seriously saw that someone had bid up to $30 for a current punch that was only $16.95 (they were charging shipping too).
Nothing to do with the SU discusssion, I know, but I am amazed by the number of people who do this! Do they not check out the actual retail price first? A girl at work a few years ago, bought some designer dresses from Thailand, I think it was. Which means they were probably copies anyway(!), but got them for a 'bargain' �50 each. What she didn't look at was the shipping- �150 PER DRESS, no discount for multiple items. And she bought 6!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #94  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Nothing to do with the SU discusssion, I know, but I am amazed by the number of people who do this! Do they not check out the actual retail price first? A girl at work a few years ago, bought some designer dresses from Thailand, I think it was. Which means they were probably copies anyway(!), but got them for a 'bargain' �50 each. What she didn't look at was the shipping- �150 PER DRESS, no discount for multiple items. And she bought 6!
It's a psychological thing for sure. My husband and I have vintage Singer sewing machines and like to find vintage feet and other accessories for them. That usually means eBay. We cannot believe how "worked up" in the heat of an auction for a tiny piece of metal. Fortunately, we do not succumb and sometimes it's even entertaining to watch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #95  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple of years ago I needed the retired dog tag punch. I believe the original price as $10 and I bought it for $15. I felt kind of stupid for paying so much, but it was saving me a lot of time. Now that punch is listed for $30-$40. It's hard to believe anyone would pay $40 for a punch. Maybe I'll sell it ...nah, as soon I sold it I'd want it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #96  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
A couple of years ago I needed the retired dog tag punch. I believe the original price as $10 and I bought it for $15. I felt kind of stupid for paying so much, but it was saving me a lot of time. Now that punch is listed for $30-$40. It's hard to believe anyone would pay $40 for a punch. Maybe I'll sell it ...nah, as soon I sold it I'd want it back.
Seriously? I still have mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #97  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Seriously? I still have mine!
This one has free shipping but other don't. Once you add shipping, that's one expensive punch.

USED in Excellent Condition RARE & Retired - Stampin' Up! Key / Dog Tag Punch by KrossmyheartCreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #98  

Received 829 Likes on 336 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
Excellent points, however, I think I see posters saying they don't need/want that large of any bundle of anything. Perhaps these big sets are selling for SU. I don't know. Am not a demo. Am more interested in one stamp/die at a $9.99 pricepoint. Might be a good suggestion to pass along, for any demos who have connections. In order to stretch my stamp dollars, I would never buy something like that. Too much of the same thing at too high of a pricepoint.

In Festive Flurry I believe the snowflakes are roughly the same, just different sizes. I believe the same was true of the Ornament Keepsakes----multiple ornaments that look roughly the same. I'd be surprised if anyone bought them???????
I have the ornament keepsakes and I don't think the ornaments look the same at all. I've used them an awful lot. I made many things with them for craft shows, including the 3d ornaments, which I sold for $30 each.

I have not purchasec the new snowflake framelits. Not because I didn't like it, I love it. I am trying to be practical and I already have some snowflake dies. I'm notbone who has to buy all the newest coolest toys. Everybody is running to by the envelope liner die and the envelope punch board, but I don't have those either. One of my customers bought the envy board, so I'll see how she likes it and if she uses it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I have the ornament keepsakes and I don't think the ornaments look the same at all. I've used them an awful lot. I made many things with them for craft shows, including the 3d ornaments, which I sold for $30 each.

I have not purchasec the new snowflake framelits. Not because I didn't like it, I love it. I am trying to be practical and I already have some snowflake dies. I'm notbone who has to buy all the newest coolest toys. Everybody is running to by the envelope liner die and the envelope punch board, but I don't have those either. One of my customers bought the envy board, so I'll see how she likes it and if she uses it a lot.
I totally agree about the ornaments. I LOVE that set! SU! just announced from Oct 22-28 it is one of the 25 stamp sets at 25% off!

I never thought of making the ornaments to sell because I'd have to sell them for so much but that's awesome that they sold for you. Inspiring me as I have a HUGE Holiday Mart coming up.

I sold last years Bigz snowflake die to pay for part of the Festive Flurry ones. I LOVE them! (I also didn't buy Snowflake Soiree last year because Snow Swirled was current so when that retired and they came out with a new one, that's part of the reason why I got it.) The envelope punch board is SWEET! The Envelope Liners Framelits dies are nice too and I made a SUPER cute box with the smallest one! So simple too! I love anything I can get multipurpose uses out of!!! But definitely smart to hold out on some of the items and see what you think of them before buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I KNOW! I've been debating about selling that one along with a few others. I don't mean to seem greedy at all but if I can get out of way more than I spent on it, that's more dollars I have to put towards my business expenses! The Stocking Stamp Set and Matching Punch were going for over $100 at one point!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #101  
Hardware Hotshot

While I stay fairly true to SU, I really don't understand why the new sets look so much like past sets. There is always a sprinkling of newer, more trendy stamps, but for he most part things seem to be a lot the same.

They also seem to come out with "new" stuff that is old news! I love my stamp groups and I love SU paper, embellishments, etc. I get maybe two/three new sets per year. I really don't need to branch out and find new companies to buy from. I need to use what I have. I also like that everything is matched for me with SU!
Reply With Quote Likes