Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SU Demo Info

I wasn't sure which forum to post to.....but....does anyone know where I can find out information about becoming an SU demo? I'd like to get as much information as possible before talking to my demo. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hello! The starter kit info is on the back page of the catalog. As far as specifics about the career plan and things like that, you'll have to speak to a demo.

Choose your upline wisely, they can be a big help to you if you pick a good one, or no help if you choose a bad one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

They have more specific info about what in the kit, etc. online. I'm considering becoming a demo myself but am unsure when the best time to sign up would be. I've been reading a lot here at SCS to kind of get a feel for how others feel about being a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonville_girlView Post
I wasn't sure which forum to post to.....but....does anyone know where I can find out information about becoming an SU demo? I'd like to get as much information as possible before talking to my demo. Thanks.
If you do a search of the general stamping talk forum you will find a lot of threads where various questions about becoming an SU demo have been answered. But your potential upline should be a great source of information for you. AS has already been mentioned, you may want to interview several potential uplines tomake sure that you find the upline that's right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
If you do a search of the general stamping talk forum you will find a lot of threads where various questions about becoming an SU demo have been answered. But your potential upline should be a great source of information for you. AS has already been mentioned, you may want to interview several potential uplines tomake sure that you find the upline that's right for you.
Thanks for the info. What do you look for in an upline?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Hi from the coast of NC!!!!!
I think in one of the previous threads, someone posted a great document that had questions to ask....
You definitely want someone who has a comparible personality (you don't want to clash).
Also, if you want to make this a business, you need to find an upline who is business minded
You shouldn't sign up under someone who is about to drop.

Those are the things I can think of right off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
Hi from the coast of NC!!!!!
I think in one of the previous threads, someone posted a great document that had questions to ask....
You definitely want someone who has a comparible personality (you don't want to clash).
Also, if you want to make this a business, you need to find an upline who is business minded
You shouldn't sign up under someone who is about to drop.

Those are the things I can think of right off the top of my head.
What should/does an upline provide you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks for the info. What do you look for in an upline?
Definitely make sure you choose a supportive upline. For me, since in the beginning I didn't know if I wanted to be a demo just for the discount or for the business, it was important to find a demo who would and could support me regardless of which option I chose. My upline would be great if I decided just to buy from myself, but she has really been an invaluable source of information and encouragement as I have built my business.

Also, find out about your upline's upline and her upline and any larger demo group that you would belong to whose meetings/swaps you could participate in. For example, my up-up-upline has a demo only shoebox swap every time a new catalog or mini comes out, and that's a great way to get lots of samples without buying all the sets. It's great for me because I don;t have to spend money on shipping swaps out. But it's also great for the members of our group who are from other states becasue they can mail their completed swaps in and get lots of samples and they know that the quality will be there.

Here are some questions Staramaze (Sarah Moore) posted last year that you should ask a potential upline. I think these are really helpful:

-What is your AVERAGE party/worshop total?
-Who is your Upline and what does she provide to you?
-What do you provide for your Downline?
-How often would we meet as a team/group... how often would we meet 1 on 1?
-What incentives do you, your upline or company offer?
-Does your company offer local training seminars and National Convention Trainings?
-How will you help Train me?
-How does your company help train me?
-What does the company do to help market ME the demo? Are national advertising campaigns created? Where do they market?
-Is there support for me to have a website? What are the costs associated with this?
-What are my required personal minimums? Are personal purchases included in the minimums?
-What is my personal discount...and does this vary from the INCOME I make off customer orders?
-What is the Minimum I can earn, and the Maximum? What do I need to do to acheive the maximum income?
-Are there aditional incentives to income? Points or incentives earned to get free supplies and products? Cruises or cars?
-How much do supplies cost? Can I earn FREE supplies?
-What is IN the starter kit? What ELSE will I need to start my business?
-Is there an incentive for joining?
-Is there an incentive program for NEW associates?
-Are there ways in which I am NOT allowed to promote products?
-How much do YOU earn off my sales? How much will I earn off the sales of my downline?
-How many levels deep of downline can I earn $ off of?
-What do I need to sell in order to earn money off my downline at each level?

You can see the entire thread where these questions were posted here: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Also, you may want to click on the search box at the top of this forum, then click on the advanced search button and do a search for the word "upline" in the general stamping forum. This will get you to the many threads where this topic has been discussed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

What should/does an upline provide you?

I think one thing to keep in mind is that technically an upline is not required to provide anything, so any upline that does provide guidance, training and support for her downline is doing so because it makes good business sense for her, not because it is required by Stampin' Up! That's why I signed up under a business-minded upline.

Also, not every upline makes money off her downline -- there is a minimum sales and title requirement to make money off a downline, and many demonstrators who joined just for the discount do not meet these levels. So if you think you might need support from your upline any time in the future, it's a good idea to pick an upline for whom SU is a business, not just a hobby, because she will have a reason to offer you the support. Many hobby demos offer support as well, but if they're not making any money off their downline obviously their incentive to provide a lot of support is not as powerful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much information. I really appreciate it. The people on SCS are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Gibsonville Girl!
I live in Burlington and can recommend a great SU demo for you. Just pm me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

WheAs for specific information, when you meet with your demonstrator ask her for the following handouts/publications which SU has prepared:

1. recruit brochure
2. FAQ sheet
3. starter kit flyer

These three items will give you a goof balanced idea of what a SU is all about, what you will get in your kit, earnings charts, incentives, etc.

If you intend to take this venture and make it a business, it is IMPORTANT that you treat it like a business. This means that you do NOT purchase every stamp set you think you might like, you do set aside a specific amount of time each day/week to work the business, make phone calls, stamp samples, file paperwork, etc. If you approach this like you would a bricks and mortar type business you can make money! If on the other hand you ar really just looking to get a discount on the stamps, etc you want to buy, that's ok as well.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggcobbView Post
Hi Gibsonville Girl!
I live in Burlington and can recommend a great SU demo for you. Just pm me!
Thanks I'll send you a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes