Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Blender Pen vs Markers

Ok Ladies-- would you say that using your blender pens with your stamps pads be the same as having the markers? What is really the purpose of the blender Pen?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #2  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I use the blender pen with RE-FILLS and with pastels,(SU!'s chalks). I like DEEP, rich color, so I use the refills.

I have used the blender pen with the ink pad and gotten tired of "reinking" the nib.

I MUCH prefer the SU! markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

The blender pen has multiple uses and as its name implies, blends color from other sources. yes you can pick up color from your ink pad to color, it wil be lighter than a marker. You can use your blender pen and markers together on watercolor paper, you can also pick up and apply pastels (chalk) with your blender pen.
if you are familiar with the bleaching technique, the blender pen is the most controlable way to apply bleach. You can also "wipe ink off" of an inked stamp. For example you ink your stamp but want a portion to be a different color you can wipe off the ink w/ blender pen and use a marker to apply the other color...clear as mud?
So markers can NOT repalce a blender pen, but you can use a blender pen like a marker, but they will produce very different effects. I hope this is what you were asking, and is helpful to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by frou frouView Post
You can also "wipe ink off" of an inked stamp. For example you ink your stamp but want a portion to be a different color you can wipe off the ink w/ blender pen and use a marker to apply the other color...clear as mud?
So markers can NOT repalce a blender pen, but you can use a blender pen like a marker, but they will produce very different effects. I hope this is what you were asking, and is helpful to you!
Thanks for sharing a great tip that I hadn't thought of before!

I love my blender pens! They let me watercolor even though I so can not master the aqua pens, LOL. The blender pens to me are a great initial investment that lets you do so much with one simple tool. If you are just starting stamping then you should go ahead and get them. Save money on markers for now and just buy more ink pad colors, ! Markers are great later though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I use the blender pen with watercolor pencils. All so with SU watercoor crayons.
I think I have better control using the blender pen than the aqua pen. Just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer the blender pen over the aqua painter as well. I use it with re-inkers, ink squeezed into the lid of the pad, markers, watercolor wonder crayons, watercolor pencils and pastels.

It's great when I'm doing multiples of something with watercolor pencils or even WWC. I can put all the crayon/pencil on my images, then take a blender pen and blend all the blue, then go through and do all the green, then the next color, etc. I can stack them up and not worry that they're not dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I use the blender pen with watercolor pencils. All so with SU watercoor crayons.
I think I have better control using the blender pen than the aqua pen. Just personal preference.
Same here....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Now I think I need the markers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything has it's own purpose!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 113 Posts

You are right! Everything has it's own purpose. I wouldn't be without the blender pens to give me the depth of color control but if I want really deep dark colors on a project then markers are quicker. It just depends on what it is you are trying to acheive. And the wiping color off a stamp is a use I had not thought of either. So thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my blender pens. I think I have 4 packs now. I use them for everything. I also have all the SU markers and they have their use, but I honestly don't use them as much as my blender pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I love the blender pens too...
I just wish they had replaceable tips..
as mine are pretty worn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

get the dove blender pens they are refillable and you can change the nibs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I splurged the $125 for the SU! marker set, and I have to say they are worth every penny! They are sooooo awesome. You can match practically any color of patterned paper or cardstock (even papers that are not Stampin UP brand) because you get 48 color choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Ladies, can you use the blender pens with the SU crayons like you would use Gamsol and the Prisma pencils? Would it be a similar effect?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

They are not even close to the same. I like my markers for so many things but they are irreplaceable for colouring directly to your stamp, then either huff or spritz with water Before stamping depending on the effect you want. Definitely not doable with the blender pen. Copics can't even do that! I agree with a previous poster, the Dove blender is far superior to SU blender pens. I haven't done Gamsol yet but from what I've seen, gamsol and pencils have the potential, depending on what colours you use, to produce a far deeper colour than blender and watercolour crayons. Now I love my crayons but it takes many layers to build up deep colour if that is what you want. For paler colours the effect is similar but watercolour has a unique look because of how the water dries that blender doesn't have. If you hate the 'lines' watercolour can produce, blender is smoother.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allybillsView Post
I splurged the $125 for the SU! marker set, and I have to say they are worth every penny! They are sooooo awesome. You can match practically any color of patterned paper or cardstock (even papers that are not Stampin UP brand) because you get 48 color choices.
Amen sistah! Did you know that SU markers are refillable? Just put reinker in a small container, uncap the brush tip, set it inside and allow the marker to soak up the reinker. Wish you could get new tips though.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I agree...I love my SU markers!!
and my blender pens
......but, wish the tips were replaceable too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatechgalView Post
Ladies, can you use the blender pens with the SU crayons like you would use Gamsol and the Prisma pencils? Would it be a similar effect?
No, the blender solution does not melt the wax like gamsol. I would imagine that if you have any empty/dry blender pen you could fill it with gamsol.

You can purchase Dove blenders with replaceable tips and inserts. I would think it would work, unless, the gamsol damages the insert for the well of the pen. hmmm,,, I'll have to give it a try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Okay....this is going to sound dumb. I need more than one blender pen, right? Probably one for each color family? And the blender pens can be used with the S/U markers (have most of them) AND colored pencils, WWC, watercolor pencils, etc?

Although I've had my aqua painters for years now, I just can't get the hang of them. I'm learning to blend using my colored pencils and have Prisma's on my wish list, but it will be a while before I can get them. Last week, I purchased a Marvy LePlume II blender pen at Michael's with a coupon and am less than impressed....but then, maybe I'm not using it correctly!! ;) Both ends feel dry as a bone. Should they be??

I'm going to a S/U open house later today and will probably order one of their blender pens, but like the sound of the Dove pens because you can refill them.

Any advice would be welcome!!
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have any markers but was just about to order one - just one lonely marker - because I have a card idea in my head that I just can't shake, and I need to color one word in the stamp. So - I have that color in WWC, can I use the blender pen with that to color the stamp? In other words, does it ruin the stamp to use the crayon on it?

TIA,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Okay....this is going to sound dumb. I need more than one blender pen, right? Probably one for each color family? And the blender pens can be used with the S/U markers (have most of them) AND colored pencils, WWC, watercolor pencils, etc?

Although I've had my aqua painters for years now, I just can't get the hang of them. I'm learning to blend using my colored pencils and have Prisma's on my wish list, but it will be a while before I can get them. Last week, I purchased a Marvy LePlume II blender pen at Michael's with a coupon and am less than impressed....but then, maybe I'm not using it correctly!! ;) Both ends feel dry as a bone. Should they be??

I'm going to a S/U open house later today and will probably order one of their blender pens, but like the sound of the Dove pens because you can refill them.

I don't have a different blender pen for each color. I just wipe the tip off really well with a tissue and then scribble on a piece of scratch paper until it doesn't color any more, then I'm ready to use another color on it.

I use my blender pens with the SU watercolor crayons, SU watercolor pencils, and with my ink pads or ink refills. I don't have the SU markers or pastels, but I guess you can use them with blender pens as well.

I also bought a Marvy LePlume II blender pen once and only used it once. There is absolutely no comparison to the SU pens. Definitely get their blender pens, they are much, much better. I've never tried the Dove ones, though so I can't tell you anything about them. But in my opinion, the SU ones are worth the cost.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13

Last edited by jkstieber; 08-08-2009 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
I don't have any markers but was just about to order one - just one lonely marker - because I have a card idea in my head that I just can't shake, and I need to color one word in the stamp. So - I have that color in WWC, can I use the blender pen with that to color the stamp? In other words, does it ruin the stamp to use the crayon on it?

TIA,
Sarah
I have never used the blender pen to put color from a crayon on the stamp, I just color the crayon directly on the stamp, then spritz with water. However, it doesn't give the same effect as a marker would, it's a much more muted look. But it doesn't hurt the stamp to use a crayon on it.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
like the sound of the Dove pens because you can refill them.

I refill my SU blender pens with the Dove blender refill solution. Somewhere on SCS there is a receipe for making your own blender refill. I haven't tried it since I already had the Dove refill.

Here is location for the dove refills. I like the feel of more slender SU blender pen than the dove, but I like the ability to get refill tips. And no, the tips won't fit the SU markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Default Marvy Markers

Just to give word of warning: when I was new to stamping, I paid over $40 for a few sets of the Marvy Markers. And within 6 months they were all dry as a bone. I was very, very disappointed, to say the least. And now I see that someone else has the same complaint... sounds like they are a low quality product! And I have had some Zig markers for over 15 years and some of them still work! Now that is quality...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Just to give word of warning: when I was new to stamping, I paid over $40 for a few sets of the Marvy Markers. And within 6 months they were all dry as a bone. I was very, very disappointed, to say the least. And now I see that someone else has the same complaint... sounds like they are a low quality product! And I have had some Zig markers for over 15 years and some of them still work! Now that is quality...
Wow so sorry to hear that you've had problems. I wonder what has changed because I have Marvy markers that are over 9 years old and still good. They were my first set of markers.

I keep my markers laying flat and out of sun and heat. But, if others are having problems it sounds more like a manufaturing problem. I ruin the tips before I run out of ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Default Love all Three

I have to say that I love all three....

Markers are great to add true to color solids to any project. Color on stamps to get an easy multi-colored stamped image. They are quick, easy and I love to use the journaling tip to address my stamped envelopes in a coordinating color!

Blender pens I use to apply ink to my line art projects to fill in areas and get a somewhat watercolor look. I also use them to blend the markers a bit to get not quite as solid of a look.

Aqua Painters are a must for that easy watercolor look. The water is in the pen so it's not messy and they are easy to control (just be sure that the tip is just damp so it doesn't get your project too wet). You'll want to use Staz-On ink with these and they are just so easy! I also use these to blend color from the colored pencils and the watercolor crayons (so yummy)!

I always advise my customers to start with blender pens and inkpads, then add markers and then add the aquapainters and that seems to be a great way to jump in. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 682 Likes on 352 Posts

I actually bought the full marker set before buying the Ink Pads. I think they are more versatile, because you can use them to color different parts of the stamp image on the stamp itself before stamping. Of course, eventually I ended up buying all of the Ink Pads too. LOL! :-) LM

PS-I was so very excited that SU made In-Color Markers this year. In years past, I made In-Color Markers out of a set of 3 Blender Pens for each year's In-Color Family, but the Markers give much more depth.

Quote:

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes