Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU advice

What would you ladies do.....

Last time I orderd from my demo, it took a day less than 3 weeks to receive my goodies. I am on the East coast but still...

Last Thurs. I emailed another order to my demo,(she prefers this way), and asked that she let me know when she plans to send it in. I then called on Sat, left a message, no response. Should I call again, email again, email that I am cancelling my order and find another demo who cares about her customers....

I'm not sure what to think. When I first met her she had open houses and occasional workshops, now nothing, and I don't even get the mini catalogs anymore.....

CKMom
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, I would definitely find a new demo. My demo always lets us know what is going on. As a demo, she can put the order in as soon as your payment clears. So really, there is no excuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would phone her again.

If you still can't reach her, leave a message that you need to speak with her soon.

maybe there is somehting going on in her personal life that has her overwhelmed??

If whatever her response is doesn't satisfy you, or you still get no response, I would email to cancel the order and find a new demo.

Bessie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I would certainly get a new demo...and that's advice from a demo!!!

I would never continue to order from someone who shows such disrespect for her customer's time (and money)...that's absurd and totally uncalled for...

it should only take like a week for your stuff to get to you..even on the east coast!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKMom
What would you ladies do.....

Last time I orderd from my demo, it took a day less than 3 weeks to receive my goodies. I am on the East coast but still...

Last Thurs. I emailed another order to my demo,(she prefers this way), and asked that she let me know when she plans to send it in. I then called on Sat, left a message, no response. Should I call again, email again, email that I am cancelling my order and find another demo who cares about her customers....

I'm not sure what to think. When I first met her she had open houses and occasional workshops, now nothing, and I don't even get the mini catalogs anymore.....

CKMom
Yes. I think you should find a demo who feel comfortable with and who meets your needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

From a customer standpoint, I'd say after this order, try to find a new demo. If you are attending regular workshops or stamp clubs that is one thing. But if the only thing this demo does for you is place an order, then I don't think you have an obligation to her. And who knows, you might find a demo who is perfect for you! (This is assuming that you current demo is not out of town and that is why she hasn't responded.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I totally agree with "find a new demo." I have been a demo for five years and would never treat a customer this way. You might want to let her know how you feel, just in case there is something going on in her life that is creating the problem. But still, business is business and there is no way you should have to wait three weeks (I'm on the East coast too), unless something is on backorder! Good luck!

Don't just sit there . . . go stamp something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scraps
it should only take like a week for your stuff to get to you..even on the east coast!!
Umm...not necessarily. My orders take a minimum of 8 days, often 10.

If your demo is getting your messages and doesn't respond, find another one who will provide good service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm on the east coast too. I'm usually spot-on 7 days from the day the order was actually placed with SU!. Depending on your relationship with her I might ask her what's up. Otherwise I'd start shopping for a new demo. You pay her. You at least have the right to expect better service.

Something might be going on in her life right now, too. Something she may or may not want to share. I'd feel her out and if she doesn't like that you're checking in, well, that speaks volumes to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Yes you should find a new demo. This is coming from a demo herself.

There is a three day wait before I process orders and that is to insure that you still want the items that you requested plus that gives me the time frame to make sure that the payment clears.

From the point that I put in orders it only takes about 1 week for orders to arrive (to any location-unless overseas). If there is a problem with your order for any reason your demo should be letting you know that ie: backorders, delayed shipping due to UPS etc.

You need to do what's right for you; find a demo that offers classes and offers you the mini cattys.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

PB - that's why my statement was "like a week"...not exactly a week...10 days is only 3 over a week....

she's talking about waiting 3 weeks...that is a huge difference in my book...

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scraps
PB - that's why my statement was "like a week"...not exactly a week...10 days is only 3 over a week....

she's talking about waiting 3 weeks...that is a huge difference in my book...
Gotcha! ;) And I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be she is having personal problems, or could be she is combining small orders (hold until there is enough to get Hostess rewards and or free products) and making a bigger order.

I had a Demo do this one time on me! I got smart fast and asked for CDO (Customer Direct Orders) after that.

I since have a new Demo for the last 2 years, I adore her!

Check this out, flat ask her if she is holding your order?

HTH

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Yup on the east coast and it is exactly 7 days from order placed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #15  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question-when you say you are giving her an order-how does she get payment? Does she have to wait for a check from you or do you use a credit card to pay? I ask because I do not place orders for items unless I have payment in hand.

From the time someone places an order (and that includes giving me payment) I legally HAVE to wait 3 days to put it in. Then after that it is 7-10 days shipping-especially if there is a holiday weekend or it is the end of a mini-catalog period.

What kind of relationship do you have with her-is the late shipping an ongoing problem or just a weird fluke? Does she usually contact you quickly? Could she be on vacation? I guess I would check in with someone before dumping them IF the lack of communication is an unusual occurrence. If it happens regularly then I agree that you probably need to find someone that better meets your needs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Whether you stay with this demo or find a new one, I think it's reasonable on email orders to say "please call or reply back just to let me know you received this order. If I don't hear back from you, I'll assume you did NOT receive it. " It's also at that time you can ask for the final total. Then everyone - you & the demo - has a feeling of a closed loop.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Quick question-when you say you are giving her an order-how does she get payment? Does she have to wait for a check from you or do you use a credit card to pay? I ask because I do not place orders for items unless I have payment in hand.

From the time someone places an order (and that includes giving me payment) I legally HAVE to wait 3 days to put it in. Then after that it is 7-10 days shipping-especially if there is a holiday weekend or it is the end of a mini-catalog period.

What kind of relationship do you have with her-is the late shipping an ongoing problem or just a weird fluke? Does she usually contact you quickly? Could she be on vacation? I guess I would check in with someone before dumping them IF the lack of communication is an unusual occurrence. If it happens regularly then I agree that you probably need to find someone that better meets your needs.
Ditto...
I could be that your demo has taken a step back if she is no longer doing anything at all to promote her business...
For ANYTHING I order I expect a timely response to my order (i.e. an e-mail or something that lets me know they recieve and acknowledge my order) - a timely shipping rate (which BTW on the east coast it takes at the very least 7 days from the time that UPS picks up a shipment from SU...it could take up to 3 days from the point I place the order for that to happen...there is also the 3 day holding period during which the customer can change thier mind - some demos hold your order for 3 days just to make sure...also if you are paying via a check time to make sure the check is good...so honestly receiveing your order up to 2 weeks after you place it is not unreasonable if you live on the east coast) and consistant communication...(i.e. I placed your order and it should be arriving on X date...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Personally, my old demo did this to me a couple of times and that's one reason why I signed up to be a demo.... with someone else...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would hate to wait that long to receive my order! It might be wise to find a new demo who wants your business and will give you good customer service. I usually email my order to my demo with my cc#, she processed it that day, and I often have it in my hot little hand about seven days later! Just the way I like it. Find someone who will work with you and appreciate your business.

My Blog:
Sentiments by Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Just another perspective here - I'm a demo on the east coast myself. If someone pays me by credit card it can take almost a week to get funds into my bank. 1-2 days before it's available from processing and then another 3-4 days before my bank processes it. And shipping is a minimum of 7 days, usually closer to 10. So let's say you emailed an order Thursday night, I didn't check my email until Friday. I process the card Friday. Sunday - Monday I can transfer funds to my account. Wednesday - Thursday the $ is there and I place the order. (1 week) Then it takes a minimum of 1 week from SU. So we're at two weeks, throw in a weekend, a sick kid, etc - it could *possibly* take 3 weeks. As far as not calling you back, I always think you should give the weekend. If by Tuesday she hadn't gotten back to you, then I'd cancel the order.

However, I think you should probably scout around for another demo. If you're looking for more services than she's willing/able to provide, you need to find someone that can/will provide what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

You're unhappy with the service. If it were a restaurant, or hair stylist or car mechanic what would you do -- not go back. You try other places and something will remind you why you started with her in the first place and you return, or you're on to bigger, better people and places.

And did you know that mini catalogs cost the demo money? And now they are larger so cost increased as did shipping. And they are also online so many demos don't distribute because you can go online to see them.

If you're looking for both of these, any person would respect you for telling them and she may even know other demos in the area to suggest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not going to tell you to get another demo. However, my strong advice is to communicate directly with your demo and explain that you want better service. If she isn't returning calls, emails, she isn't giving good service and it doesn't matter if she has personal problems. She's running a business. But, before jumping ship, I would email and explain nicely how frustrated you are. Some demos absolutely hold orders until they have enough to get hostess benefits. Others want the orders shipped directly to them so that they can make sure that the order is correct. Some cannot afford to take the risk of placing the order without having the customer's money in the bank already. Regardless, she should be returning calls.

So, give her a buzz and see what happens. If you are still not happy, definitely find someone else!

ps. if a demo sells a certain amount she can earn free mini catalogues, but your sales have to be fairly high for the previous quarter -- otherwise it comes out of the demo's pocket. Now that the minis are on line for customers, a lot of demos simply don't want to spend the $$ to send a hard copy to their customers. I don't blame them, especially if the customer isn't ordering a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I have still not heard anything from her. She has a busy family, and she had suggested I just e-mail the orders to her, and she gets cash payment, as I live pretty close to her. I don't know if she holds the order, and I can understand wanting the hostess benefits. My orders are usually between $50-$150 each time. I can also understand her not sending catties now that they are online. This demo was referred to me after the last one stopped being a demo, but she was terrific, had a stamp club, workshops, and I got my orders quick. I guess I feel like this new one does'nt have her heart in it. I've looked at the list in my area and it's not looking good, but I did email one about whether she is active and ever does workshops. Tomorrow I will call her again, and go from there....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
Could be she is having personal problems, or could be she is combining small orders (hold until there is enough to get Hostess rewards and or free products) and making a bigger order.

I had a Demo do this one time on me! I got smart fast and asked for CDO (Customer Direct Orders) after that.
HTH
A lot of demonstrators do this. It's not unethical as long as the customer is aware of it and receives some benefit, i.e. lower shipping. I do it myself, mostly because the customer often ends up paying more than 10 percent shipping on smaller orders; so I combine them with other orders so they won't have to pay $3.95 shipping on a $20 order. Usually, I end up throwing in a small order for myself...not always to get to $150, but just to bump the order past $39.50 when 10% shipping kicks in over the minimum $3.95. I don't hold the orders more than a day or two unless the person placing the order is okay with it.

Of course, if you don't mind paying that much shipping on your smaller orders, a CDO is the way to go.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My orders are usually between $50-$150 each time...
Just wanted to remind you that if you are placing an order of $150 YOU should be getting the hostess benefits also!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

WOW, lots of thoughts here. I'm a demo and I am not usually in the same place for more than a month. My customers e-mail or call me when I am not in their town visiting. Since these are my repeat customers (and now friends) I usually place their order when I hear from them. Since I have a good relationship with them, I do not have any probs with receiving good funds from them so I don't wait. Maybe I am lucky. They contact me, and usually have their order 7 days from that date (mostly in CT and FL).
I also do not automatically offer hostess benefits to someone who places a large order - I usually include something extra but since all have been hostesses before - they know the drill. If they want hostess benefits they usually get others to order with them - then it is their work and I give them the whole thing. I'm sure some would not agree, but this is my biz and I count on the benefits to support my biz - or is it my habit?
There are many demos out there who would be lucky to have you as a customer. You can check on the StampinUp website to see what other demos are in your area if you don't reach a solution with your demo now.
Good luck, hopefully when you talk with her it will work itself out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Well I left a message this morning, and I hope to hear she placed the order and just didn't get back to me. Now I am mad. If it takes three weeks to get my order that gives me two weeks to make 50 cards . If she hasn't sent it I may be pm someone here to send the order for me if that is ok...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I think it is best to give her the benefit of the doubt but to be honest, in RL I would be mad too.

When I submit orders for people, I always let them know when I've submitted the order and when they can expect it. If it is a WS order then I just communicate with the hostess.

We are supposed to give a 3-day window to allow for cancellations, this means some demos will not submit the order for those 3 business days. And some (like me) need to wait until payment clears the bank. I personally just pay for everything out of my checking account so I need to have the funds there to cover the product. I can't rely on my personal funds for that since I need my personal funds for bills and other things.

It definitely sounds like you're not happy with your current demo. I'd let her know your feelings (gently) and then proceed to the nearest demo that fits your idea of what a demo should be doing for you. Everyone runs their business differently so you'll probably be able to find a better fit elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

oh i want it all...i know where my money i get for christmas is going this year!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

i dont know how to delete the message it went in the wrong forum!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

I have been through so many bad SU demos, and finally have found a good one. It's a BAD sign, all you've been through. You don't have to be rude about it, but you do have the right ot your stuff in a timely manner. Three weeks? Wow. Mine is usually a week exactly from the time it goes in.

Best of luck!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Default SU Advice

Aaaaaaaak....

Just called, talked to her mom(who lives with her), she didn't place the order,and has been busy...blah, blah, I told her to tell her to not order it. Now I am furious.

Without breaking any rules, can I find a demo from here, and order through her and have my order sent to me? The ones near me aren't really near me, and I just want my darn stamps at this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Aaaaaaaak....

Just called, talked to her mom(who lives with her), she didn't place the order,and has been busy...blah, blah, I told her to tell her to not order it. Now I am furious.

Without breaking any rules, can I find a demo from here, and order through her and have my order sent to me? The ones near me aren't really near me, and I just want my darn stamps at this point.
Yes. We can't solicit sales on here, but there is nothing that says you can't find a demo through SCS...we just can't find YOU. ;)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

Have you thought of signing to be your own demo?
If you buy 50-150 worth it may save you frustration and $$ too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #35  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Sorry about all of the delays, not sure why she would wait.....Just doesn't make good sense as far as customer service goes!!
I still send all of my customers minis even though it's online now!
Maybe just a bump in her life right now.....

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Oh boy, the demo just called and said the order was placed Wednesday, and she promised I'd have it by next Fri.WTH.

Sorry to drag this out, jeesh.

I think I will look for a new demo before I order again....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #37  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Oh boy, the demo just called and said the order was placed Wednesday, and she promised I'd have it by next Fri.WTH.

Sorry to drag this out, jeesh.

I think I will look for a new demo before I order again....
Did you get a chance to ask her what took so long???

At least you have your stamps coming now!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

I'd look at the ladies that responded to your post. If you feel a conncetion based on what they said, check out their galleries, blog if they have it and then eanie, meanie, minie, moe!

Good luck! I just switched demos too. I LOVE my new demo! I'd give you her name, but she's here in Michigan! I lucked out, she's just around the corner from me and had an awesome Stamp Camp last night. Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Wow 3 weeks, Just like everybody else here said, it only takes 7 days to reach the east coast. Once the order is put in to SU. I know how excited I am to get an order, I can't imagine having to wait 3 weeks. Good luck on what you decide to do. Keep us updated. Tell us when you get your order. Have fun playing with your new products.
Angela Riddell

www.angelariddell.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Wow 3 weeks, Just like everybody else here said, it only takes 7 days to reach the east coast. Once the order is put in to SU. I know how excited I am to get an order, I can't imagine having to wait 3 weeks. Good luck on what you decide to do. Keep us updated. Tell us when you get your order. Have fun playing with your new products.
Angela Riddell
Reply With Quote Likes