Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #41  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who makes bags. The shop owner bought them from her outright for a few dollars less than she asks for at craft fairs. Of course, the shop is asking $10-15 more per bag than she paid....but still a good deal for my friend since she doesn't have a store front. I think that's the way to go....if you can get it! That way, you don't have to keep track of how many cards you have where and you get paid immediately. Myself, I tend to be a lot more leisurely of cards I make. When I have a nice little supply, I sell them at work for $3.50 each.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #42  
Glitter Queen

Hi Carla

Just had a look at your Etsy Shop you've got some lovely things in it. Jenny x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Flower shops are a great place to sell them - peole love getting a homemade card to be delivered with a floral arrangement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

I try to sell mine on iCraft and Etsy. I'm lucky if I sell one per month between the the two sites. I'm not doing a good job - I'm hoping it means I'm not doing a good job: marketing, listing, describing or something and not that I'm not making good cards!

I set my prices from $4.25 to $4.75 depending on complexity. My paper quilled ones are generally $5.75 - $6.50. They take a MUCH longer time to make.

I would be tickled to sell to a shop - sell though, not consigment. I'd give them a discount to reach a wholesale price, but not much because the prices I have already are below what they should be. Soooo many sell at the cost of supplies only though, so it's hard to be competitive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, that's your blog, Carla. Paper Pastorale. And I liked it very much. Clean, bright, and nice, simple ideas. I was looking at your blog and realized (finally) the problem with my blog is an overload of color. Going to fix that asap.
Thanks very much for talking about your Etsy shop with us. I took a look and your work is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love all the hints about card sales. Recently I have been doing more challenges. So far I can use them all (making a stash to send to my eldest at University) but it is nice to be up to date with all the options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Nope, that's your blog, Carla. Paper Pastorale. And I liked it very much. Clean, bright, and nice, simple ideas. I was looking at your blog and realized (finally) the problem with my blog is an overload of color. Going to fix that asap.
Thanks very much for talking about your Etsy shop with us. I took a look and your work is beautiful.
I like your blog. Maybe we need a blog thread too - I was thinking about changing mine up and having page tabs for everything that isn't my original content to clean it up more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
It's so funny that you should say that, and thank you! A few months ago I deleted all the info on past design teams and the covers of a bunch of magazines I'd been published in. I was sick of the clutter and I was sick of trying to show everybody what all I'd accomplished. I thought to myself, "Who am I trying to impress, anyway?" The answer, finally, was, "No one!" I make stuff because it's fun. I was tired of the, "Who is on the most design teams?" track, so I stepped off. If my blog looks good because of that, it was purely an accident. I am a blog illiterate, and can never get it to do anything-maybe that's a good thing!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

I sell them to benefit our county's Backpack Program. Wherever the program has a table, we put out our cards. I've been asked to create a set of note cards and have sold several of them, too. $3 for most; $10 for a simple set of 5. I decorate the envelopes with a small stamp as well� very popular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #49  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I'll do my best to answer these.

1. It isn't that my product is so much better than everyone else's, it's that I work my shop harder.
a. I have a huge shop, so if you search, you're bound to see at least one of my items.
b. I spend $75-$100 a month relisting. Etsy searches are a confusing tea of relevancy and recency. I generally have no idea what they are doing over there, so I try to cover both.
c. I have great customer service, and lots of repeat customers.

2. I think you must be thinking of someone else's blog. Mine doesn't have anything unique about it. Almost all of my customers come from inside Etsy. In other words, they went there deliberately and found me there. My blog is useless and extremely neglected.

3. No newsletter, no RSS feed.

Etsy is extremely competitive and requires a lot of learning and patience. I still think it's worth it. So if you have a year or so to fiddle around with it, you can make some money. I know 781 sales sound like a lot, but it is not a regular or reliable source of income. Last month I only made $250 and spent $75 on fees. It's no get rich quick scheme. July will probably be a little better, but that's just speculation. I really never know what is going to happen.

I'd like to supplement my Etsy shop with IRL sales, so I'll keep chacking back with this thread for ideas.
I sell mine through consignment with several gift shops. And I belong to 2 art coops which are also consignment but more eclectic stuff. All your Etsy projects look beautiful but it seems to take up a lot of time. So many photos to take and then upload. With my cards selling for $5, it doesn't seem worth it for me. I admire you for your attention to detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda_CraftsView Post
I sell mine through consignment with several gift shops. And I belong to 2 art coops which are also consignment but more eclectic stuff. All your Etsy projects look beautiful but it seems to take up a lot of time. So many photos to take and then upload. With my cards selling for $5, it doesn't seem worth it for me. I admire you for your attention to detail.
It does take a lot of time, Linda. Add that to the fact that I'm a fairly slow creator, and the fact that I have to package and ship and I'm sure my per hour wages are ludicrous. That's something to keep in mind for anyone who wants to open an Etsy shop. Luckily, most people buy more than one item at a time.

I guess I keep it up because I am a prolific creator. I have 529 items in my shop right now. If I could get a regular gig IRL, I think the Etsy shop might go away. I am going to try most everything mentioned on this thread after I move in August.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda_CraftsView Post
Just wanted to say that a lot of people already blog (enter challenges) with photos so it really is just one more step rather than loads more steps. I can see being daunted but for me (if I had the product) to have an Etsy shop wouldn't be any bigger deal as I blog/photograph for a record of what I have sent/created in the past anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

People ask me all the time when they see my cards... Are you selling them someplace?
I don't...for many of the reasons stated above. Probably the biggest reason is I seldom make the same card more than once and I like it that way. I have a tough time making repeat Christmas cards...usually about ten of the same is all I can stand doing. I want my card making to stay fun and making a card because I have to isn't fun for me. I have made cards and sold them on special request but find most people want a "deal" (even good friends who know how long it takes me to make a card and appreciate how much I put into it). I do get a lot of pleasure out of giving them to friends and family for birthdays and anniversaries (ect ect). It is so true that you really can't put a price on them that pays for your supplies AND your time unless you are making CAS cards and doing many of the same kind. I have always wondered about ETSY and found the information that was given above very interesting. I wish I could find a way to help pay for my addiction/passion of card making but it isn't looking to promising at the moment!
I loved reading all the input in this thread!

Peggy

"She who lives with the most JOY wins!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the beauty of supplying teams for fund raising is that I can make whatever cards I want to make and as little or many as I want to make of each design. Since I am not working and may not work again this is a great source of income for me. I have all year to put aside cards for the fall when the teams start their fund raisers. If I wasn't already happy with the income I make I would check my local community centers as they are another great resource for selling cards.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonw1View Post
People ask me all the time when they see my cards... Are you selling them someplace?
I don't...for many of the reasons stated above. Probably the biggest reason is I seldom make the same card more than once and I like it that way. I have a tough time making repeat Christmas cards...usually about ten of the same is all I can stand doing. I want my card making to stay fun and making a card because I have to isn't fun for me. I have made cards and sold them on special request but find most people want a "deal" (even good friends who know how long it takes me to make a card and appreciate how much I put into it). I do get a lot of pleasure out of giving them to friends and family for birthdays and anniversaries (ect ect). It is so true that you really can't put a price on them that pays for your supplies AND your time unless you are making CAS cards and doing many of the same kind. I have always wondered about ETSY and found the information that was given above very interesting. I wish I could find a way to help pay for my addiction/passion of card making but it isn't looking to promising at the moment!

Peggy
I rarely make the same card twice, either. I think it's boring as well! Plus, it's rarely possible to make an identical card when using packaged embellishments. I do relist my all A Muse Studio cards because I know where to get all the supplies!

I think one of the reasons I do keep my Etsy shop is because it DOES pay for my paper craft addictions. I can spend $300-$500 a month on stamping without touching the family budget. It also funds my A Muse Studio business while I build and become profitable. Now that I have quit teaching, that money will go towards the family budget. It's no teaching salary, but it's better than nothing;)

As I said, it's not for everyone, but it works pretty well for me.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #55  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 805 Likes on 328 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardGoddessView Post
I think $3 is a little underpriced for a homemade card unless it is really simple. A Hallmark card usually runs from $4 to $5 dollars. Unless you buy in the bargain section, store bought cards are really expensive and they really aren't anywhere as nice or unique as something homemade. But I guess you're right... it depends on where you live. Everything in Southern California is expensive so I could probably get $4 to $5 easily. The hair salon is a good idea. A friend of ours owns one... I'll have to ask if she would mind displaying some cards.
You took the words right outta my mouth! I've always sold my cards to stamp stores for 5.00 each. When I began selling at an art gallery gift shop, I began charging more because they take 40% commission. So now I charge 7.50 so that I can get 5.00.

That being said, I'm doing my first craft show this fall with a friend. We haven't decided on a price for cards yet. I feel sure that at a show people would not pay as much as in an art gallery gift shop. So I'm making cards that are not quite as labor intensive (no Prismacolor pencil work). I'm willing to go down to 4.00 and I'm going to buy a couple Hallmark cards that cost 3-4 dollars and put them on the display. That way people will be reminded at the price of them and then look at the quality of our cards. So we'll see.

by the way, I live in a small southern city and they've sold well here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmpleStamperView Post
I'm taking in all these good ideas. I've thought about, but never tried to sell my cards anywhere. For those of you who have had success and sell the cards at local shops, here is my question: how do you keep track of the cards you leave at the given location and know for sure that you are receiving money for all the cards that are sold? How do the proprietors account for what has sold, and are they put off by the "hassle" of keeping up with what they owe you and how much (or little) they get for their commission? Are you sure you are collecting monies for all the cards you leave there and that none of your special work "walks off"? et cetera... Just trying to anticipate the details and possible snags!
I sold my cards 'on consignment' for a while in a local shop, but I don't believe they kept close track of what they sold, so I was usually underpaid. If I were to do it again, I would just sell the shopowner the cards they wanted - then the cards would be theirs to sell as they wished. My MIL does it this way, and the shopowners repeatedly ask her for more.

I sell my cards at work for $2 each or 6 for $10. I know this sounds underpriced, yet when I bring my box to work I sell a LOT! I live in rural MN, so it's not a wealthy area. But in time, I will probably go to $3 each or 5 for $10. Thanks for the input on this!
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in HIM. Romans 15:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonw1View Post

Peggy
Gosh, I couldn't agree more with everything you said! I just looked at your gallery and your cards are phenomenal! I only sell to one person, my niece. She approaches me every year for certain occasions but always for Mother's Day and she buys my cards at my price. She likes that I never make the same card twice. Other than her, I just don't sell. It takes the fun out of it. Especially when someone wants it for nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes